1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 24 - Uncommon Bond

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 15 October 2017.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Air date:
    15 October 2017 (Treehouse) / 21 October 2017 (Discovery Family)

Writers: Josh Hamilton & Kevin Lappin

Synopsis: "When Starlight gets a visit from Sunburst, she discovers that he has tons in common with her friends and starts to wonder if he still has anything in common with her."

On top of the fact that this episode was leaked, Canada is doing its early-release thing again, and the signs are that it will do so for the finale as well. But as far as this episode is concerned... Sunburst fans will surely be happy that he's getting a significant part in this episode! This looks like it could be one of those simple storylines that gives space for lots of fun, but that's just a guess. Discussion go! :)

Please use spoiler-cuts until 24 hours after the episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you. :)

2. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Cute episode :)
    I enjoyed this one more than, er... yesterday's. :p

Knowing this fandom, this is probably the episode that sailed a thousand Sunburst ships. :p

Not much to say, other than I thought this was a nice slice-of-life, and I got to see some adorable moments from Twilight, so all good there. :p

Cloudane likes this.
  3. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Two great episodes in one weekend!
    Cute episode seeing Trixie and Maud again is always welcome! Also I forget that Starburst has been around quite a while, but we rarely see him. Finally is Starburst going to be in mane six mkII I keep thinking could be a thing with Starlight, Trixie and Maud. Guessing the book at the end is something to do with the season final episodes and the legendary mane six.

4. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Yeah, nice little episode.
    That suitcase full of books - Sunburst is me. Well, before Kindles were invented.
    Those two dozen other suitcases - is the guy related to Rarity perchance?
    Starlight, what is with the awkward smile? That ancient map is cool!
    Subliminal marketing of the blind bags there...
    "Would you mind turning around, or preferably leaving the room, so I can get changed?" Ponies' confusing attitudes towards nakedness strike again!
    Trixie's lil' headshake is really cute.
    Maud! :D
    Okay, that spell was a little... ummmm.
    *Starlight destroys a chunk of her friend's palace and drops her other friend through the resulting hole* *everypony giggles*
    Oooh, season finale teaser...

5. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Oh yeah....
    Starlight: "Thanks Twilight! You're the best!"
    There you go, it's canon! ;)

My favourite part of the episode was the bit in the antique shop. Not just "because Twilight" (though I'll admit, that helped), but because I remember when I was a kid, my parents and I would sometimes take a day trip to a nearby town so my mom could look in the antique shops. I loved those trips, and I totally could see myself geeking out with Sunburst and Twilight. :D

Cloudane and Cendaquenta like this.
  6. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Best give my thoughts on this one
    I really enjoyed this one, a nice slice of life episode. It was nice seeing Sunburst hanging out with Starlight's other friends Twilight, Maude, Roman Reig- I mean Trixie (ok this is the last time will I do this!) Boy how adorable was Twilight when she got excited playing Dragon's Trap and lost control of her magic. Also did anyone noticed that Boulder had use the mirror pool? (Goodness knows how?) Overall a good episode that builds up to season finale. A very solid 8/10 from me.

7. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Active Pony

Nice episode

Great to see more of Trixie, Maud and Sunburst. The moral was Quite similar to Forever Filly, but still different enough to feel unique. Trixie clearly didn’t think before performing a cup and ball trick with three visibly different cups :p. I noticed that Starlight seems to have a grip of age spells among other things, so where magic’s concerned, there can’t be much she can’t already do. Very interesting to see that ominous book at the end, somehow connected to the finale, no doubt…

8. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

A bit late, but TF2 update hype has had me hyped all week and delayed my pony hype.

And Starlight is all hype and now rambling to strangers.

Almost hype down but then saved.

How did Ponyville end up antique central?

Just how much gear does this nerd need for a few days?

Maybe it's because I've been watching some of the early seasons lately, but Twi's really looking bigger now.

Grab barrel? Sound a bit old school.

"I have a little more control over my horn now." No comment.

Welp, that was the wrong thing to say, Sunburst.

Apple juice? Huh, did they drop cider? Is cider just not for foals?

Trixie creeps on apple. Huh.

It's also pretty amusing that 2 unicorns are so into stage magic. And so bad at it, especially the professional.

They sealed the pool? Practical, but seems like something they don't usually do.

Come on, Starlight, use your words.

Literal age regression. Kind of extreme.

Also kind of extreme to create a large version of a board game to play. And then breaking a hole in the castle floor.

9. Recurrent Trotting

saw this between the finale and the movie - solid pony but I've come to expect more from Starlight 7/10
    message was decent I thought - of all the virtues I think generosity of spirit as the opposite envy is perhaps the most important (the true magic of friendship?). Also Starlight would also be especially sensitive about her foalfriend since y'know it was want of his attention that drove her crazy in the first place (if this was a different show I'd be thinking lil baby Starbursts might be on their way <3 ) so this had the potential to be a great message... but the message misfired with the return to foalhood. The game was sort of fun, but the over-reliance on it tarnished it for me.

in terms of other things... the shoutouts to Twi's nerdery, Maud's nerdery and Trixie's silliness were fun.

is it bad that I like seeing Starlight angry :p I wanted her to go full villain at least briefly

10. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

• Starlight can do all those crazy things but can't lift a case of books?
    • Ah this is going to be a "friend is no longer the same" story
    • He's the Rarity of books
    • Ah here we go it's also a "new friend makes friends with old friend" jealousy story
    • Song? ... nope just some fancy music
    • Blind buy? Yay a loot crate / blind bag
    • Quite some chemistry with Twily. My shipping senses are tingling. She gets around as much as Big Mac...
    • Sunburst needs privacy to get out of bed and put his cape on? Dude are you sure you have um... 'more control over your horn'?
    • Lol, Trixie fail
    • Now Starlight has decent magic again.
    • Ah now he's having a good time with Trixie. Oh boy. Starlight knows too many cool friends
    • Uh oh the mirror pool
    • Damnnnn good job Rarity's not down that cave
    • Even making friends with Maud. This is getting silly!
    • Ooh that spell. But more of Starlight living in the past....
    • Okay kind of cool. And enjoying company without having much in common seems fair enough
    • Well ain't that a very ominous season finale kind of book.....

A pleasant enough "calm before the storm" kind of episode, and I have a feeling a few ships sailed.

11. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Finally saw this a few hours ago; have had no real time since before UK Ponycon.

An alright episode I thought, nothing particularly special. Maud kinda stole the show for me. She was so cute when she was chatting with Sunburst next to the mirror pool :D. Sunburst was quite nice to watch too, and Trixie is always fun in my book.

12. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Nice see Maud, Trixie, and Sunburst again in this episode, the message was decent and unique. I'm quite interested in what that book was at the end of the episode the one that Sunburst had. Pretty much a good way to build up the finale making wonder what's gonna happen next. Not much to say other than it was a good little episode before the finale.

13. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I can relate to Starlight being bored in that antique shop. I don't get the fascination with antiques, although it was fun to see Twilight nerding out over them.

Wow, it seems Sunburst is popular with the ladies. :p

I did find the board game rather funny, with both Twi's adorable reaction to the piece dropping through and with Starlight's little addition to the giant sized version. ;)

This was a rather sweet episode to lead us into the finale. It was fun seeing Sunburst again, and that book did end things on an ominous note.