1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, Mista Squishy is running a fundraiser for Children In Need this year. Check out this thread for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 25 & 26 - Shadow Play

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 18 October 2017.

1. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

This was a very satisfying finale for me. Will make the top 3 of the season, easily. Am looking forward to giving it a 2nd watch in the next couple of days.

Something random for now:
    Spike hitching a ride with Rainbow to the dragon lands was cute! Such an unusual pairing for an adventure style story.

Nsxile likes this.
  2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

We're out of the spoiler period now, so although I still haven't got a proper post thought out (short version: I really liked this) I can mention something PresentPerfect on Fimfiction noticed:

You know those runes on the Ponehenge stone? Transliterate them into modern Latin script and they say PONY RULES. :D

abrony-mouse and Bridle Timeout like this.
  3. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

We're mostly comic readers here, correct? I'd be interested to see how the opinion differs between those who've read them and those who haven't - I met with a friend yesterday who's not into the comics and they really didn't like the finale, as they felt it was rushed and didn't establish the Pillars well enough.

4. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I haven't read the comics in quite a while, so the show is my first encounter with the Pillars.

While I would love to learn more about them, I thought this finale was very well paced and not rushed like many of the previous ones are.

Mane25 likes this.
  5. Steamworks

Steamworks Pony

Woo, a little late, but this is technically my second viewing. Anyway, on to the show.

(spoiled more to prevent page stretching than anything)
    I love that the ponies of myth are showing up again, and it's awesome we're finally getting some Starswirl in the show. (I just wish he was a bit more like the comics.)

It is nice seeing Twi fangirling.

So are these fragments of Old Ponish enough to start building a full language? Can this be the brony equivalent of learning to speak Klingon?

Since powerful magic leaves impressions, I wonder how many of the Mane 6's antics have been similarly imprinted.

You'd think Twilight would be a bit more hesitant about messing with Starswirl's magic. She mixed up cutie marks last time she messed with one.

I'm digging the Indiana Jones pony here at the Rockhoof dig.

And his boulder.

I wonder if Ember is ever gonna put the kaibosh on these losers.

That's also a pretty hardcore to smash Spike's face with a rock.

And such a simple solution to the problem.

Always nice seeing Daring again.

And the return of the Pillars.

And there goes the book and Ponehenge.

And lore! The creation of the Elements.

Looks like a damned if you, damned if you don't situation with the Elements and the tree.

I do wonder if Twi is a little too obsessed with measuring up to Starswirl for her own good.

The rest of the Mane 6 laying the smackdown on Starswirl is pretty nice, and it highlights Starswirl's lack of understanding of friendship (and not being a dick).

I think if Starlight had been more assertive/confident with her objections, she might have got her point across sooner.

So disappointed they didn't animate the battle between the Sirens and Starswirl like it happened in Fiendship is Magic.

Stygian's battle with jealousy and Luna's own battle with it makes me think there's some sort of entity behind it, sort of like Discord to chaos.

I like Starswirl being direct and to the point, but I think he could be a little less of a dick about it.

Stygian, why did you go into a well and listen to emo music? Look at what happened.

And there's the realization.

And Starlight is even more uniquely equipped to help this problem.

So does this mean the Elements are back in play? We haven't seen them in so long, and maybe the Pillars can figure out how to keep the Tree of Harmony up without the Elements in it.

I'm really hoping we get to see more of the Pillars.

Cendaquenta likes this.
  6. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Yup; @Alliminaro already came to that conclusion himself earlier in the thread. :)

I don't follow the comics at all, but I loved the finale. Didn't think it was particularly rushed. The pillars were established well enough in the earlier episodes, I thought, and there's scope for them to be fleshed out next season.

CuldeeFell and Cendaquenta like this.
  7. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

The last comic I read was the election two parter last year, so I've missed out on the Shadow Lock arc and all the Legends of Magic comics. (As well as the Movie prequels. I might catch up at some point.) Like @Oilyvalves I thought that the pillars were well set up (if not given deep characterisation) by the earlier episodes, and that the finale wasn't particularly rushed. (There was a lot going on in it, but the pillars not being given much to do in it wasn't a problem.)

8. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Active Pony

I haven't read a single one of the comics, but I didn't think there was any kind of problem with the pillars being under developed. That kinda happened over earlier episodes in the season (except for Starswirl), and I expect that some details I don't know would be in the comics. I didn't have any real problems with the pacing, either.

9. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Here we go then!

Part 1...

• Ooh, old style elements o.o and Starswirl's mane ponies sacrificed themselves? Sort of dark for MLP, they usually only hint at that sort of thing.
    • WE MUST NOT SLEEP UNTIL WE ANSWER THIS MYSTERY.... hang on Twilight, didn't you learn this lesson about 2 episodes ago?
    • Ponehenge XD
    • I can see that Old Ponish is going to end up like Klingon where it's a real language that nerds learn
    • Ponehenge is smol
    • She said a thing and a thing happened trope. Pinkie acknowledging its use with "Well you did ask for a magical explanation!" :p
    • Oh so they trapped themselves forever in limbo with the bad guy (reminds me of an early Naruto story, I guess there's probably a common legend behind it).
    • Bringing them out sounds awfully dangerous... Twilight seems awfully daft this episode
    • What even IS this map of theirs that keeps answering all their questions and guiding them places anyway?
    • AJ bucking a massive boulder, Rarity transforming a garden in seconds - the backgrounders were the fastest at this!
    • Garden pony - and the voice of Mrs Twombly gets channeled again :)
    • Spike's not going to win this race....... okay he accidentally won XD
    • Aww, Dashie saving him and that hug :3 It's quite unusual to see these two together, but it's nice.
    • Bully dragon not very smart...
    • Flutters helping out was cute as ever :3
    • Daring Do cameo!
    • Starlight the voice of reason here and in the entire episode
    • Opening a prison close to the end of a 2-parter. What could possibly go wrong?

Please tell me the next episode isn't going to resolve a thousand year old act of desperation by the most powerful wizard in history with a quick speech from Twilight about friendship...

------
    Part 2

• Pinkie's list of disasters :p
    • Ooh, FINALLY an explanation for the castle and the map. I mean, it seems almost sentient, but at least they explained its existence at last.
    • Time to say goodbye to the elements again? And even the giant toyetic eyesore castle? (I'd have no complaints there)
    • Yeah, Twily. Stop ruining everything lately XD
    • Starlight the voice of reason again. Banishment is not very Mane 7.
    • Startlight's eyebrow does an AJ.
    • "Once a villain, always a villain" - Starswirl being not very good! Starlight's right, again. And so it looks like it will indeed be resolved with a quick speech from Twilight...
    • Ah the Sirens! I was spoiled on their existence in the episode but didn't realise it was in a flashback. Kind of gives them a bit more importance.
    • Aw. It's good to see such depth to Starlight and a good use for her
    • Well at least the darkness thing put up a fight! (Speaking of the darkness which I presume is the same one that demonised Luna, I wonder if eventually they'll try to find and banish that only to learn the classic "accept the darkness within yourself and control it" thing.
    • Ah finally Starswirl sees sense. Good that it takes all of them to save this guy, so that it's not just a Twilight Speech.
    • "A conversation CAN save Equestria" - okay fair enough Starlight :p The MLP trope acknowledges itself proudly.
    • And so the ancient heroes all get sent on a bus... probably for the best, I was worried about the implications if Starswirl became a major character (it was nice to have him as a mystery), though it could have been interesting too. They can come back for occasional appearances.
    • Aw, Twily getting complimented :3

Rather predictable and all of part 1 involved me being dumbfounded by how daft Twilight was being, and they did indeed surpass the most powerful wizard of pony history by simply being able to hold a conversation about their feelings etc (seems like a comment about males haha). However it was well delivered, and acknowledged. It was also good to see Starlight's character given some good use. A song wouldn't have gone amiss given it's a finale!
    Not the best of the finales but happy enough with it ^^

Edit: That almost sounds negative in comparison with others but is not intended to be. There's an element of predictability I thought but it's well delivered ^^ And it can't be the best finale because the season 4 one exists :p

That snort :) I like when she does it in the movie too (we can say that by now right?) when she's like "wellll I'd do it myself but I don't have your magic *gigglesnort*" :p

#29 Cloudane, 30 October 2017
    Last edited: 31 October 2017
    Bridle Timeout likes this.
  10. Streamline

Streamline Pony

Well, it certainly keeping me watching, there were some of the elements in this that make a good season finale, but I wouldn't go as far to say it waas a favourite by any means. Overall though still a good watch with some enjoyable sequences.

OK, I enjoyed the visual effects of the Pony of Shadows returning. I do love a good dramatic scene like this with all the music, unicorn laser beams and brilliantly worded scripts where the characters really go into the drama of it all. A season finale wouldn't be complete without this.

I didn't really care for all these ancient characters reappearing though. To be honest, it just didn'tt seem right at all, now we've ended up with ancient characters in the modern world, the fact that their colour choices were fainter, duller and generally didn't fit in the with colours of the usual chaarcters and background didn't help at all.
    These characters just felt like stereotypes lacking in imagination, and to be honest, a little bit boring.

I do feel they go over the top with the pony realted cliches (e.g. pone henge), it was a little funny but really do we need this all of the time? I'd rather the scrip writers developed their own ideas.

In the dragon bit scene, we saw no Ember, I kinda wish we had done.

Bacially now the show has explained that all of our mane 6 were all just 'part of a bigger plan' developed by these other ancient characters after planting some seeds. Not sure I cared for that. I like the idea of the mane 6 being important in their own right and the idea of them saving Equestria numerous times rather than them being almost like pawns in a bigger plan that was always going to happen following the Tree of Harmony planting process.

To be honest, the only aspect I really loved in this was the scene where Siron appeared and Twilight was dragged into the Pony of Shadows and came to Siron in his time of need. The show has always been masterful at these sorts of scenes. Are they now being a bit over used? Hmm, possibly, but I still thought it was a beautiful moment between them both, and also Starlight when she interviened.

So where do we go from here, I hope we don't see these ancient characters again to be perfectly honest, I'd be quiet happy for Starswirld to relocate to YakYakistan and settle there out of the way of the next series.

For next season.......bring out Chrissie for revenge or re-ignite Daybreaker. Oh, and less of all these cliches while you're at it.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  11. TheDashingJack

TheDashingJack "An excellent UKoE user."

Well, now that I've finally caught up to Season 7, I've finally made it to the finale and, while it wasn't among the best in terms of MLP episodes, I thought it was a huge step up from the underwhelming Season 5 and 6 finale.

This was the first time since Season 4 where a finale was significant in terms of plot and lore and all the characters felt represented equally. For the most part, anyway; the pillars and Starswirl were really good to see, but I couldn't shake the feeling that they sorta just came and went. Not that they didn't contribute anything special to the episode, but it all felt like the Mane 6 with sometimes the Pillars talking? Anyone else feel that way?

12. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

I thought was a great finale to an otherwise great season. I liked how the first part was more of an adventure to seek out the items that the Pillars had which made a change from: "We must deal with the villain of the season!" kind of dealios. There was a lore in this one I do like how Starswirl was implemented into this one I really thought we would've got him sooner in my opinion. He along with the other Pillars were very good. Nice to see Starlight was a being the one to steer Twilight in the right direction. Adagio, Aria and Sonata were in the flashback albeit it was their true forms but yes they referenced them in the show! Not much to say other than this was a great finale.

13. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I enjoyed the finale, it was a high quality finish to a fantastic season.

I guess I wasn't the only one who thought Twilight and the Mane 6 were being a little dumb in being so eager to bring back the pillars without even thinking about the Pony of Shadows.

The scenes where they got the artifacts were well done, but I was a bit disappointed not to see Ember in the dragon kingdom. Also, Garble is dumb if he thinks he could hurt Spike without any punishment. I doubt Ember would react well to him hurting her best friend.

It seems Starswirl is a bit of a jerk. It was nice to finally see him in the show after hearing so much about him for so long. I liked the fact we saw how he banished the Sirens too. I know that was also covered in the comics but I prefer this version of the events to the musical showdown between them and Starswirl in the comics. He's good at magic, not music!

I did enjoy Starlight's raised eyebrow to the supervillain remark by Dash. :p

This was a fine end to the season, and it's interesting that we could see more of Starswirl and the Pillars in future episodes.

14. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I've just been rewatching this one, and one line jumped out at me that I'd somehow never noticed before, when the ponies are in Manehattan in Part 2:

Wait, Manehattan used to be cast in eternal night? Nightmare Moon can't have been much bother for them then. Also, we've seen Manehattan in the day before, so what used to be causing eternal night there, and how was it stopped? How did the night not spread to other parts of Equestria?

So many questions, and so much fan fiction potential.

Loganberry likes this.