1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 5 - Fluttershy Leans In

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 30 April 2017.

1. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Nah, she would argue about spending too much bits. XD

Yup. :3 Rainbow was just really eager to work, then suggest an awesome fly zone. You don't want your BFF firing you Dash.

Fluttershy.... Make geesies cannon agai... err for the first time. :p
    GEESIE.jpg

I loved seeing this bird appear so much. My Fluttershy plushie and a Canada goose plushie friend has been a thing with me. Makes me so happy to see a goose appear in a Fluttershy episode. :D

#21 Snowyshy, 8 May 2017
    Last edited: 8 May 2017
    Cendaquenta and Cloudane like this.
  2. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I see Angel is doing some serious hopping training. Aw, he hurt his foot. He looks adorable... only to then go back to being his usual jerky self when he's offered a carrot treat.

Those experts were rather dumb to just completely ignore all of their customer's requests. Why were they so shocked when Fluttershy fired them? What did they expect would happen? It was nice to see Fluttershy showing some assertiveness after all her character development, although it's rather odd this episode didn't have much of a lesson other than don't give up on your dream. I guess we have an animal sanctuary in Ponyville now... yay?

It was nice to see Rainbow Dash showing some liquid pride for her best friend. ;)

I liked this episode, but it wasn't the best episode of the season so far. It didn't seem to have much of a purpose, although it did have some good moments. I'm not sure why Fluttershy needed an interior designer when it was a natural structure, and it would have been nice to have the Mane 6 mention how they were too busy to help when the experts got involved. Not a bad episode though.

CuldeeFell and Cloudane like this.
  3. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Eh it was a boring episode for me. Very predictable in terms of a story, no development on the new characters, only a few amusing bits in the episode overall it's not terrible but it's very very dull. I do like the development they gave for Fluttershy in terms of her assertiveness but really I've got nothing to say about this episode other than it's dull and really there's only so much I can say before I run out of things other than saying dull that's pretty much what I think of this episode in general.

4. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Fluttershy has had enough of experts.

I was quite looking forward to this episode because, well, Fluttershy. It’s the first time she’s had her name in the title of an episode since Season Two, and I was really looking forward to twenty two minutes of Fluttershy. And, well, I got twenty two minutes of Fluttershy. So no complaints really, but it’s still easily the weakest of Season Seven so far.

I hadn’t realised what the title was a reference to before watching it. Indeed I’d jokingly wondered if the whole episode was going to be one shot of Fluttershy leaning forwards very slowly. Instead the phrase is talking about women (sometimes literally) leaning forward and being more assertive in workplaces and male dominated spaces.

To give this episode some credit Fluttershy’s assertiveness feels very in character here for how much she’s progressed, particularly since “Putting Your Hoof Down”. And there’s no backsliding to the older, less assertive Fluttershy, which is still something that seems to happen occasionally.

The two returning characters here were almost opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of the way they fit into the story. At the positive end it was very nice to see Dr. Fauna again, named for the first time, in a role that felt very natural. It really feels like she’s someone Fluttershy sees regularly, and she could have been a character created just for this story if it weren’t for the fact that appeared before in “Secret of My Excess”.

At the other end of the spectrum I’m sure Big Daddy McColt would have had the viewers who hadn’t seen his other episode scratching their heads and wondering who he was. Twilight’s exposition where she mentions her and Fluttershy’s trip to the smoky mountains is incredibly clunky. And what purpose does he serve? I’m not sure.The story would work just as well without him. That said, he has a very good plot justification for being there, and he was a neat choice for a character to bring back again. He doesn’t add anything, but he doesn’t get in the way of the story at all either.

And it’s the story that really lets this one down. Fluttershy wants to build an animal shelter. She hires some experts to help her build it. They don’t do what she asks them to do, so she takes an uncompromising attitude and fires them, and gets someone who will do what she wants instead. Fine. I think Fluttershy was being completely reasonable here. She’d given them explicit instructions which they chose to ignore, so she’s quite right to ask them to leave. It’s a good model for how people can be completely right to be uncompromising in this kind of way without being cruel or unkind. Children (and adults too) need to hear that sometimes.

But it means there’s very little conflict here. At no point does Fluttershy have any difficulty making a decision. She knows what she needs to do and she just gets on with doing it. Which, yay, it’s good to see behaviour like that from Fluttershy, but it doesn’t leave much of a story.

Ah well. I went into this expecting twenty two minutes of Fluttershy and what I got was twenty two minutes of Fluttershy. And you can’t say fairer than that.

5. sten whik

sten whik Space

I was wondering what "Lean In" meant. Sort of sheds some light on what the writer was going for with this mess.

6. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

"We should call you flutterBOLD"

That line from Pinkie Pie sums up this episode for me quite nicely. It was great to see how far Fluttershy has come and to finally know when to say enough is enough.

This was a beautifully written episode that seems to round off Fluttershy's character development and it's my favourite of the series so far.

If I had to rank them right now I would probably go:-

1. Fluttershy Leans In
    2. All Bottled Up
    3. Celestial Advice
    4. Rock Solid Friendship
    5. A Flurry of Emotions

This could well change though.

Cloudane likes this.
  7. Phill

Phill Honorary Pony

Real sweet episode, and Fluttershy was adorable. Her speech about building that animal sanctuary was really heartwarming. It was so heartwarming that Rainbow Dash was tearing up. And it was also heartwarming to see how supportive the other five ponies where towards Fluttershy