1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 7 - Parental Glideance

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 6 May 2017.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Dash boop by AC-Whiteraven
    Air Date: 7th May 2017
    Written By: TBA
    Synopsis: When Rainbow Dash's parents discover she's a Wonderbolt, they show up at every event to cheer her on. However, their unabashed enthusiasm proves to be rather embarrassing and pushes Rainbow Dash to the brink

I really hope Dash's mother is a G4 version of Firefly, that would be super amazingly awesome. :p

As this is one of the early releases from Canada, please note that the usual 24-hour spoiler rule applies from the Canadian air date of this episode. However, please be considerate about posting spoilers elsewhere on the forum.

2. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Yay another early episode, I suspect this may the the rumoured William Shatner one.

3. mlpbronypony

mlpbronypony Honorary Pony

Just seen it on stream and it was rather good! Does remind you of your parents when younger, and being embarrassing on Sports day etc. I will watch again later, as the stream went down in the middle of it! This is not the shatner episode though!

My review!

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  4. sten whik

sten whik Space

10/10 so...
    I was crying with laughter and then just crying and then crying with laughter again.
    This whole experience felt weird.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  5. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Well, that was even better than I expected…

Getting to see a lot of Scootaloo was a pleasant surprise, especially since she’d only really had two episodes before this. Dash’s upbringing does actually explain quite a lot, and I get the feeling she kinda needed that attention, even though she didn’t think she did. As an adult, though, I could definitely see how it would be too much for her, especially given her needed to maintain an “awesome” appearance. Maybe this is kinda bad, but I actually found Rainbow snapping at her parents quite funny, as harsh as it was. I also liked how even if her parents being upset didn’t make her rethink, Scootaloo did. The implication that, assuming Scootaloo did have parents, they were far more detached made her disgust at seeing Dash take hers for granted is very understandable, as well. As someone who can’t express how she feels very easily, I can only imagine how hard it must’ve been for Dash to even ask Spitfire to put on a show for her parents, let alone go through with it and speak that title out loud. I felt that made it even sweeter than it would’ve been coming from someone like Pinkie, for example. The ending was also really sweet, with Scootaloo not only finally getting that kind of attention, but maybe seeing that it is a bit much from the receiving end, much as Dash’s parents did in the previous scene. I also think that creating that mirage of their logo is probably the most impressive thing the Wonderbolts have done so far…

fiddlepony and DerpyWhooves like this.
  6. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Loved it :D

Okay, so Dash's mum isn't Firefly, that broke some headcanons. :p

Wow, Scootaloo can do an epic fangirl squeal. :p I love how she put half of the sandwich in her scrapbook, and then we saw it in there later, and finally at the end when Cheerilee took points off her report because it "had a mouldy sandwich". :p

Yeah, Rainbow's parents were mostly just really embarrassing, but who in the world thinks it's a good idea to shoot fireworks at aerial performers? :p

I saw Sky Stinger and Vapor Trail in one of the establishing shots. Love those two. <3 Also loved the flashback and seeing Rainbow, Soarin', Spitfire et al as foals. :)

The scene where Scootaloo called Rainbow out for yelling at her parents was just... wow. That's probably the most direct the show's ever been about Scootaloo not having parents in her life, or at least not attentive ones.

I really liked the scene where Rainbow apologised to them and got her fellow Wonderbolts to put on a private show for them. :)

This will be a top episode for sure. :)

7. Cendaquenta

Yeah, that was a really good episode.
    The Door of Sound Effects was the best joke in the whole thing, loved it. Scrapbook sandwich was a close second. :D
    Honestly didn't think Dash's outburst at her parents was too unreasonable - they very clearly did need to bring it down a notch or twenty. Plus I think Dash showed remarkable fortitude holding that in for what, twenty-odd years? But the private Wonderbolts display and them all making up was very sweet.
    Foal versions of loads of ponies! Interesting to see that Lightning Dust's rivalship with Dash went back so far, although it does bring in that problem of "how come they didn't seem to remember each other as adults".

And of course:
    "Some ponies would love to have parents like that."
    "Oh yeah? Name one."
    "Me!"
    ;_;

janglehooves and DerpyWhooves like this.
  8. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

I'm in the process of watching it now ...

Scootaloo is just weapons-grade annoying, even taking all the fanchickengirl stuff into account ...

9. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Nice Episode
    A fun episode, I can totally sympathise with Rainbow for not telling her parents she is a wonderbolt. Also foal Derpy

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  10. Nsxile

Nsxile Honorary Dragon

Some things I liked, others, not so much...
    What I liked:
    The Wonderbolts not being jerks in this episode, which is a marked improvement from Newbie Dash.
    The moral and resolution was pretty great.
    Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts finally doing stunts together as team, which was long overdue.

What I didn't like:
    Scootaloo (well, actually, I hated her in this episode, surprisingly (and her being ultimately highly disloyal and undeserving of Rainbow Dash's attention, love and friendship, due to getting upset at one little thing that wasn't even that bad (shouting at her parents for annoying her) and then pretty much disowning her... Also considering RD saved her from falling to her death in Sleepless in Ponyville and took her in as a sister, even after Scootaloo abandoned her in The Mysterious Mare Do Well. Rainbow Dash also encouraged Scootaloo to part-take in the competition for flag bearing of the Equestria Games when she thought she wasn't worthy of representing pegasi because she couldn't fly in Flight To The Finish. Overall, it kinda ruins their relationship for me... At least, in this episode.))
    The reuse of previous characters like Derpy and Lightning Dust as fillys, which only calls in to question as to how she didn't know or remember the latter in Wonderbolts Academy, and is bit of a continuity error.
    How Scootaloo just happened to magically know those ponies were Rainbow Dash's parents. Also, sticking her nose into things she really shouldn't be.
    Exposition for things that fans, who actually watched the previous seasons of the show, would already know.

Overall, it was pretty much average... It had good parts and bad parts, and they kinda just cancelled each other out, although I think there was more good than bad, which is why I'd give it a 6/10.

#10 Nsxile, 7 May 2017
    Last edited: 8 May 2017
  11. Cendaquenta

I would assume Scoots, or Cheerilee on her behalf, sent them a letter in advance for introduction and permission. Even in Equestria, I doubt you could just barge in on somebody's home and ask to see their daughter's bedroom and property.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  12. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I didn't like other Wonderbolts members being on the same podium especially Spitfire and Soarin as I imagine them to be quite a bit older than Rainbow being the senior members of the team and Rainbow only being able to join latter, whilst those two already being high ranking officers in the squadron. (Even if Rainbow was the youngest in her completive group).

DerpyWhooves and Nsxile like this.
  13. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

My favourite episode of the season by a mile... :D
    Obviously, Best Filly being the centre of attention so much helped, and I loved her obsessive fanfillying. It's interesting that her over-the-top hero-worship of Rainbow was so similar to Dash's parents' hero-worship of Rainbow. There were some great gags, such as the sound-effect door in Rainbow's old house and -- especially -- the Flight School flashbacks. Filly Lightning Dust was there, but my own favourite bit was Derpy gradually sinking down the rostrum as her eyes gradually became more derped -- yet always keeping her smile. Awww.

Up until halfway through, this looked like being simply a cringe comedy, albeit a superior one... and then wow, mood whiplash or what? Rainbow's parents telling her how effective she was at hurting their feelings was surprisingly hard to watch, then we got that fascinating hint at Scootaloo's apparently less than happy foalhood. Add to that some nice intra-Wonderbolts dynamics and the result is a very solid episode indeed. This is one ep I will be rewatching simply for pleasure.

The one thing stopping this from being an utter classic in my eyes is that RD's parents didn't really show any understanding that they had been over the top and annoying. If only we'd had a brief acknowledgement of that, this episode would have been close to perfect. As it was, it was merely very good. But new writer Josh Hamilton, I look forward to seeing your MLP work again!

14. Cendaquenta

Never noticed that detail. I wonder if the animators are correlating the two...

15. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

Boy do i have a few things to say.

And they are not good things.

OK, Rainbow Dash is a truly terrible pony in this. I mean, I know she finds her parents really embarrassing in how eager they were about her achievements, but to not tell them that you have been able to complete you life's dream is just, I MEAN WHAT THE HELL! I mean I've heard of people never really calling their parents but this is truly ridiculous.

Then we get to her parents themselves. I don't mind the deigns of them at all. Need to get that out of the way. But, there is enthusiasm and then there is that. When you "celebrate" your child's accomplishments of up too a minuscule level, you force all meaning anything that is truly worthy of praise. Personally I felt that Rainbow Dash's outburst was completely justifiable. She should NOT have asked the Wonderbolts to put on a private show for them and simply sat down and talked to them. I just don't find it justifiable.

Shatner also was not as Shatner as he should have been. (My mistake he wans't in the episode)Not that anything I've said actually matters because Scootaloo made me deaf within the first 3 minutes.

I think I have ranted enough. I need some good points. I liked how Scootaloo mat Rainbow Dash's parents, seeing as it also gives us an idea of how Pegasi live (Who knew you had to mow the clouds), I did also like the private show. I know I had a bit of rant on it but, when it comes to the Wonderbolts in really any episode, the animation just get so many camera angles with it. I also did love how much the wings were used as extra limbs. All glory to the master race.

[para removed for spoiler reasons - mods]

#15 Solar Wind, 7 May 2017
    Last edited: 7 May 2017
  16. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Quick mod post: I've edited your post there because the last para was very spoilery about a future episode. Please try to avoid doing that, especially without warning, since many people reading this thread don't want to see what's coming up. Thanks. :) (The rest of what you wrote was fine, so hasn't been altered at all!)

17. Cendaquenta

Because Shatner's not in this ep.

18. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

Oh. My mistake. Time to edit.

19. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

SWMBO has just had her headcanon upset .... in a good way

When did Thunderlane become a full Wonderbolt?!

18360764_1353831904684909_726427385_n.png

It's not a bad episode, all things considered, but damn Scootaloo really grated after a while ... (where 'a while' is approximately 3 minutes)

Cendaquenta likes this.
  20. Nsxile

Nsxile Honorary Dragon

Hmm... I suppose that's what she could've been saying by 'needed going to Cloudsdale to finish her report', but it was never really explained and it appeared to be completely random... For all we knew, she could have been on her way to the Wonderbolts training grounds to speak to Rainbow Dash... Also they let her in because she 'loved Rainbow Dash as much as they did' and it didn't seem like a planned visit.

Good catch and now that you mention it, it does seem a little jarring, considering they're implied to be of the same age as RD, or at least barely a couple years older and holding high ranking positions within the wonderbolts...

No she isn't, considering her parents were actually embarrassing and somewhat annoying in this episode, and were even impairing her ability to some simple tasks, and were even sorta being a danger considering they were firing fireworks at the wonderbolts at the end of their performance... As RD said she had 'complicated' relationship with her parents and didn't want them knowing about it so they wouldn't get in the way, and as she made clear, she didn't need cheering on any more. So no, she isn't a 'truly terrible pony' in this episode, not even close.

janglehooves and Wonderbolt like this.