1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 7 - Parental Glideance

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 6 May 2017.

1. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Just got around watching this one and
    After two below par episode this is a shot in the arm this season needed. It was nice to see more Scootaloo bonding with Dash and of course finally seeing Dashies Mum and Dad at last even if they were embarrassing her. Easily my favourite episode of the season so far.

2. Cendaquenta

I do hope a further episode explains who "Rainbow Blaze" from the flashback in Games Ponies Play is. Obviously not Dash's father, so a brother? No way he's not related.

3. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Something I forgot to mention:
    Windy Whistles is indeed obviously inspired, in both name and design, by G1 Wind Whistler. A shame Hasbro has apparently lost the rights to that name, but this one will do. :)

CuldeeFell and Cendaquenta like this.
  4. Steamworks

Steamworks Recognised Pony

Best pony finally gets an episode this season.

Slingshot up to Cloudsdale sounds fantastically dumb. At least it worked.

Rather fortunate that Scoots landed right in Dashie's parents' yard.

Scoots going full fangirl is a tad bit more annoying.

I think I've found another shirt for my OC to wear.

Dashie's room is a tad unimpressive.

And the award room.

I think door sound effects need to be a thing.

"Dashmentos". I think that's what I'm gonna call my Dashie stuff from now on.

It's still great seeing Dashie in her 'Bolts outfit.

I wouldn't exactly call Dashie's parents "crazy". "Overly enthusiastic" is more appropriate.

It's great hearing Dashie's history from her #1 fan.

Dash is harsh, but I think her parents needed it.

And they still left it ambiguous about Scoots' parents.

Man, the 'Bolts doing that private show for Dash just really shows how they're rough and harsh but they do genuinely care for everyone on the team.

5. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Who has the rights now, is it one of the Italian, Argentinian or Green licensed manufacturers of G1 ponies?

6. Stormblaze

Stormblaze Purple song pone

*SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAMS*

SO OMG OMGOMGOMGOM Where do I start with this episode?! I freaking loved it! BUT ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAPPY LOOK AT THE LEETLE WONDERBOLT FOALS!!!!!! OMG BABY SOARIN! SUPER ADORABLE!!!!!

*ahem*
    now thats out of the way... I actually got told off by Denz for skrieking too much at the Wonderbolt foals scene.
    now lots of WTF moments in this episode, which Denz hated because once again, the current writers do not know anything about the ponies it seems.
    First off.....Rainbow's Parents. I like the over bearing over hyped support roles of them, but the names? I was also let down with my headcanon than one of them would be a retired Wonderbolt and I was kinda hoping her Dad was more of a sports proud football Dad too, but oh well. Slightly obsessive mum is Windy Whistles.... I mean, who keeps nappies as a momento......................please dont tell me it really happens. x.x

I have no complaints about the Wonderbolts, they were on point this time. and Spitfire has gained magical tail growing powers.

Now Scootaloo. I think shes gone beyond obsessive with Dashie following x.x omg. So theres that new element to her, it was fan girl levels before, but now this is stalking and I LIVE AND BREATHE RAINBOW DASH levels of creepy. I also kept thinking that "Scoots is an orphan, so she would not realise how much Dashie's parents are being OTT on the support, this is considered normal" which made it funnier and sad at the same time. I love that even Cheerilee kinda points out how OTT Scoots' report is in the end. That filly has a problem now. LOL

On that note though, Im gonna draw a series of scenes where Scoots is just there watching Dashie's achievements with her camera. Because those scrapbook photos should NOT exist!

Is it also the first time Scoots has ever been on clouds? I think maybe she shouldve asked an adult to help her up to Cloudsdale too. Twilight couldve done it. Silly filly.

DerpyWhooves and fiddlepony like this.
  7. Loganberry

I have no idea. More likely to be someone who isn't pony-related at all. Trademarks have to be defended, unlike copyrights, so if Hasbro just ignored other companies using "Wind Whistler" in the past they'd lose the rights.

8. Stormblaze

did anyone happen to get Rainbow Blaze's new name?

9. sten whik

sten whik Space

I don't think he and RD's father are the same pony. RD had kept her parents mostly in the dark about her achievements, specifically her mother mentions her saving Ponyville but not the rest of Equestria. Since Rainbow Blaze appears inside the Castle of Friendship in "A Hearth's Warming Tale" that would be impossible for her to do if they were the same.

10. Stormblaze

as much as I love the Rainbow Blaze headcanons, I think he is the confirmed Rainbow Dad. mostly because our current writers have disappointed us with how they've written the mane 6. - seriously they have all been quite awful so far. I've just felt that they don't know these ponies at all.
    If Rainbow Blaze was her brother, then there would be some minor detail in the Rainbow House with him in it. I'll take another look, but not hopeful. I just don't think they looked into it very hard. [.spoiler]

11. sten whik

sten whik Space

Meh. Doesn't really matter if it was a mistake as it only takes someone in the future to write them as separate and that will fix things (after all despite looking similar Spitfire and Blaze are officially separate ponies).

Not necessarily. We only got to see three rooms of their house, two of which were RD's and we couldn't see most of the pictures on the walls of the hallway in detail.

12. Loganberry

Bow Hot Hoof(!) but as far as I can tell he's not the same pony. One of the staffers mentioned that briefly in an interview on EqD a while back, though annoyingly I can't remember who it was. My own headcanon is that Rainbow Blaze is Dash's uncle.

13. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

I absolutely loved this episode!
    Scootaloo has alway been my favourite CMC and she was adorable in this! I can understand why others may have found her annoying but I just loved her enthusiam and the way it interwove with that of RD's parents - they really got eachother! I can also see why RD found her parents overbearing but from the point of view of an outsider, I thought they were very sweet. I also liked that they weren't the pushy over-competitive type (which has been suggested as a possibility in the past) and supported her at all levels of achievement. Yes, they were well over the top at times (which explains a lot about RD :)) but I thought they were awesome! At the same time, I could also see RD's point (and I think most of us have been there at some stage in our lives...;)) and I even had a certain amount of sympathy for her when she blew up at them, all the more so as she soon realised her mistake. I thought Scootaloo was used well at this point, almost as a voice of conscience and seeing things from RD's parent's point of view. It was touching that RD seemed as worried about upsetting Scootaloo as she was about upsetting her parents. And Scootaloo's line about no-one ever telling her she was good at anything...damn...:( RD's flashback was enjoyable with Derpy's mini-story in the background and filly RD is always very sweet! It was nice to see the other Wonderbolts so willing to help RD with her special display, there's a definite cameraderie between them now. The ending with the Dash family turning out to support Scootaloo was genuinely uplifting (literally...), particularly in the light of her earlier admission. Pony at its best,

Loganberry likes this.
  14. Recurrent Trotting

Recurrent Trotting Do you feel the same?

great fun but a few issues held it back from being a great ep for me. Still I much prefered this ep to the previous ep - 7.5ish
    ok so the thing thaat was great about this ep was the humour :D <-- this was my face (except for the green) for most of this ep. The writers kept on throwing in these little oral and visual quip jokes (like Cheerilee's marking quip, a few of the sillier photos, Lightning Dust's frowny face :p and RD's parents praising her harshness) and non-sequiters (eg the ridiculous shell lesson Scoot finds). This will be an ep to rewatch for the giggles for sure. Also damn the voice acting of RD's parents was on point. The introduction of the parents was well done too - don't normally notice the introduction of characters but Scoot looking at RD's dad and him not saying anything like that (and in my head I had a reaction similar to Scoot :p ). Also cute growing filly Dash is a cute filly :3

anyway the main issue is with the subtext. It is not OK at all that RD didn't tell her parents that she had achieved her life's ambition D: and Scoot delivering the info - innocent of that subtext - was borderline distressing it was so harsh. It came off as Scoot knowing their own filly better than they do as parents, and given how much they obsess over Dashie... (misting up even as I write that :( ). I mean missing your daughter's graduation is a really big thing D: Dash not telling them out of fear of embarassment makes her look like... well like the parody of RD in the Friendship of Witchcraft series (a self-obsessed one dimensional moron - eg here) I was also a bit irked by how ridiculous it is to suggest that they wouldn't have found out that Dash was a Wonderbolt. They clearly don't just have to rely on Dashie for news - even if somehow they had missed seeing Dash in the shows their pegasus friends woud have told them etc.

#34 Recurrent Trotting, 8 May 2017
    Last edited: 8 May 2017
    CuldeeFell likes this.
  15. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I need to give this episode another watch when I'm not exhausted. The headlines though:
    • I love Scootaloo, but I really found her too annoying in this episode, bar the scenes between just her and Dash
    • Rainbow's mum had a cute design and voice, but otherwise the parents weren't at all likeable to me
    • I'm totally behind RD in this episode. I don't think she was at all unreasonable
    • The Wonderbolt display segments were really great to watch
    • There was some great humour in there, particularly involving the 'sound effects' door
    • The ending really didn't sit well with me. "Everything the parents did was fine because it gave Rainbow confidence"? I don't think so.

16. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

This was an appreciated step up in quality from the last episode! I loved this.

There was plenty of funny jokes in this, my favourite of which had to be Scootaloo adding Dash's favourite sandwich into her scrapbook and then getting docked points off her report from Cheerilee for including a mouldy old sandwich. :p

I also liked how Rainbow Dash accidentally gave Spitfire a tail trim. Spitfire seemed very patient and understanding in this episode with Rainbow's parents antics although she didn't seem happy about losing some of her tail. ;)

The Wonderbolts in general seemed to have a better camaraderie than in Newbie Dash, and I also noticed they didn't use Rainbow Crash to get Dashie's attention. Have they stopped using those insulting nicknames now?

Interesting to see that Dashie can use her wing feathers as extra fingers.

I didn't notice filly Derpy sliding down the rankings with her eyes getting more derped in that flashback. It was weird seeing Spitfire and Soarin in that competition too. I didn't think they were that close to Dash's age. I just wonder if the animators were desperately looking for pegasi to put in there. They did make Time Turner into one back in season one after all!

Rainbow's parents really were over the top with their enthusiasm. They nearly hurt someone with those fireworks, and they scared away all the ponies sitting next to them with how loud they were! I ended up siding with Dash, she was rather reasonable with her outburst. I don't like how they clearly haven't learned how to tone things down by the end of the ep either. It seemed to be Rainbow Dash learning the lesson when I think her parents could've learned a thing or two with how to express their pride for their daughter. Even Scootaloo seemed to find it a bit much when they started to cheer her.

All in all, I really enjoyed this episode. I hope the next episode maintains this quality.

17. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

This has got to be the best episode of the series. Finally something better has come, there was a lot of great humour here with Scootaloo and Dashie's parents, man that comment that Scoots made about her parents did make me awww quite a bit there. And yes, Dashie as a filly is adorable! I love how the Wonderbolts such a great companionship towards Rainbow Dash and that they were quite patient when the parents were acting crazy. And I think RD was justified in her outburst I mean we've all had moments when our parents can be too much for us. I'd like how Cheerlie took points away from Scoots report because of the mouldy sandwich. :p All and all a fun episode to be sure.

18. Leon K Fox

Leon K Fox Your resident horse!

I want to say I absolutely loved this episode in every sense of the word, and for the most part I did. But...

I hated the ending. I can appreciate the intended moral "appreciate your parents' support" but Rainbow's parents weren't just supportive, they were intrusive...really, really intrusive. But Rainbow is made out to be a jerk for finding it over bearing. I haven't even liked her since Season 5 but I totally felt her pain here.

Scootaloo was pretty unreasonable too, though she was and always has been on the idolising Rainbow Dash train and she's still young so I guess it makes sense...kinda.

So yeah, the ending ruined what was otherwise a really fun episode.

19. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

TL;DR: *Scootaloo fangirl squealing for 10 minutes straight* :p

Great episode, mom and I loved this one. Scootaloo was just great from her squealing right down to actually scrapbooking the sandwich (pasta salad and potatoes.... why Rainbow Dash? o_O). Some feels came in when Scootaloo mentioned to Dash that she had pretty much nobody to cheer her on. Rainbow Dash's parents just stole the show for me. XD

20. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

A little late watching this, and chased along by the fact there were images of Dash's parents EVERYWHERRRRRREEEEE suggesting it was well received.

• >Sweetie Belle - wait, did I find the right episode?
    • Dat catapult to Cloudsdale straight into Mr Dash!
    • Fangirl squeal XD and such squealing, and the fanparents
    • Windy Whistle, seems a very G3-like name
    • They must be so proud their daughter has a fangirl :)
    • Dashie with braces X3
    • Her room: "You are not good enough friends with Rainbow Dash to enter her bedroom" [just referencing the game Stardew Valley]
    • They're plugging their ears in anticipation XD
    • Dat inspirational poster - before she had Tank?
    • Sound effects XD ... you can see where Dash got her ego from, and her fanroom!
    • Uh oh, some beans have been spilt
    • The door is just the funniest gag
    • Calling Dashie such a "Modest pony" - lolll
    • Adorable proud daddy moments X3
    • Dem Dashie hats XD
    • Poor Dashie.... poor Dashie's parents... poor Scoots... poor Dashie because she upset Scoots... ahh the avalanche of baww ;~;
    • Derpy going further down the podium and getting more derped, what's with that?!
    • Aww Scoots... still no sign of what happened to her parents but it must have been early, she definitely has the "AJ's parents" thing going on.
    • Dat apology event X'3
    • School takeover XD
    Seemed like another "addressing the parents" episode but fooled us by addressing the kids and telling them to love their super proud parents instead, and that others will support you knowing that parents can be like that, love it.

Fangirl squeal/10!