1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 1 & 2 - School Daze

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 20 March 2018.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Air Date: 24th March 2018

Synopsis: When the Friendship Map grows bigger to reflect the world beyond Equestria, the Mane Six realize they'll need a way to spread the message of friendship far and wide; luckily Twilight knows just what to do-- open a School of Friendship.

That's right, the time is nearly upon us! No longer will this section of the forum be quiet and dusty, but shall once again be filled with weekly discussions of our favourite diminutive pastel equines. :p

As a reminder, please use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after the episode has aired.

Loganberry and Mane25 like this.
  2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I wonder who's writing this one? I don't think the name's been revealed (or even leaked) but I suppose a Josh Haber/Nicole Dubuc credit would be quite likely as they're joint showrunners this year.

As for the episode itself: we've seen Twilight try teaching before (eg in "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3") and I do have to wonder whether she really knows what she's letting herself in for. Still, if anyone's qualified to talk about friendship, it's Twi. Very much looking forward to finally seeing FiM back in action. :D

3. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Wow it seems like only yesterday Twi was the student moving to Ponyville to learn about Friendships, and now she's teaching it! Time flies. Can't wait for the opener to air, and I look forward to Season 8 and I hope it's a gooden!

4. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

To coin a phrase: "That was then, this is now ..." - it'll be interesting to see how her character has developed. I still think there's plenty of room for one of her patented nerdgasms though ....

Really, though, I hope that the various 'new' characters shown in the opening credits get a bit of development - that young yak is adorable :D AND YAKS GOOD!

5. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Wow, the new season is starting already? :eek:

It'll be interesting to see how this school theme turns out. It is curious to see that this will be airing at the same time the rest of the Sunset Shimmer saga will be posted up on Hasbro's YouTube channel. Double the pony fun for me it seems. :D

6. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

It's here! Got to admit I'm a little bit nervous about how this one will turn out given a significant new direction but not long to wait and see.

Writers confirmed: Mike Vogel and Nicole Dubuc.

Mike Vogel of course was a writer on the Movie so could be some significance in that.

#6 Mane25, 24 March 2018
    Last edited: 24 March 2018
  7. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Just a heads up. If anyone is planning to watch a live stream today, remember that the US have already put their clocks forward so the episode will start at 3:30 rather than it's normal 4:30 start.

8. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

This isn't really a spoiler but If you haven't seen the movie.. The beginning is going to confuse you a little.

All in all really enjoyed this opener.

Interesting how this pretty much takes place straight after the Movie.

I'm interested to see where they go with these new characters.. Almost got a Breakfast Club vibe with them ;D

Brains character was pretty unlikeable.

My one complaint would be Twilight playing by the book.. The problems were so obvious.

None the less, good start to the Season.

I was sceptical about this whole school thing but I think it works for most part :)

#8 Eunos the Fool, 24 March 2018
  9. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Well everybody's favorite equines are back. So how did the first two episodes fair?
    Personally it's not the greatest season opener, but there have been a lot worst ones (season six I'm looking at you!) This episode actually starts right after the movie ended, which was a nice touch. It will be interesting how the new characters will fit into the new season (FYI Sliver Stream is worst new character) The songs were ok, but not great. I think the best moment was Twilight's hiding in her pillow fort at the beginning of the second part. Overall I give this one a 6.5/10.

10. sten whik

sten whik Space

Well that was much better than I expected (8/10)
    I admit I was pessimistic of the new direction the show is taking. Usually moving focus away from the main cast and introducing a new one is a sign that showmakers no longer have any idea what they're doing but this was well placed, the main cast stayed true while developing their characteristics, the jokes were good ("Do we still get to guess?" is probably Pinkie's best line since "Give her time."), the antagonist was well portrayed both visually and audibly, and the new cast clicked well. The way the mane six tracked down the students was the only part I didn't like, their reactions were too stretched out making them look uncharacteristically idiotic.

11. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Great to be back!

The thing about this is I had not been entirely comfortable with having non-pony talking creatures in Equestria before, and that was my main worry behind writing that post this morning. I had thought that it kind of messes with the idea of the three types of ponies - and the already really good back-story found in Hearth's Warming Eve (one of my favourite episodes). But the way the Movie set this all up I realise it has filled in all those gaps that I previously had a problem with; the world is bigger now, the map has literally expanded, it's not just about Equestria any more so it really feels that there's a place for it.

So a big tick from me, I'm totally on board with this new direction, and it was an enjoyable episode. I hope others feel the same (I've not looked at any other reactions yet). I hope we see some development of these new characters.

To me this feels like a similar shift in focus to what we had in S02E03 where other ponies than Twilight started receiving friendship lessons - it was a bit jarring to me at the time but it felt like a necessary change in order to expand the scope of the show - and now this is a similarly needed shift.

I was really pleased at how straight away it continues from the Movie and that there's full continuity there. I really liked the Movie, maybe even more now (we'll have to see how the rest of the season goes), it feels like a fresh start and could be a good starting point for new fans - maybe for some who first got in to MLP with the Movie this could be a natural point in FIM to pick up from. Could be a bit confusing to those who haven't seen the Movie, but... you should just see the Movie!

Oh and I was absolutely stunned to see the show dealing so directly with racism/xenophobia - and very fitting for the current times I would say - proud of the show for that!

No new intro? Maybe it's coming later... or proof that leaks can't be trusted (I think we only heard about that from leaks, right? I've not seen it because I didn't watch leaks, but maybe it was a rejected idea).

Song! Good to have and quite catchy.

"Everycreature" could be the new "everypony".

Robshi and janglehooves like this.
  12. sten whik

sten whik Space

Episode nine of season one not good enough for ya? :p

CuldeeFell and janglehooves like this.
  13. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

They're Twinkie and The Brain. Yes Twinkie and the Brain.

This is a nice enjoyable episode. Would I have liked to have seen something a bit more epic. Yes, absolutely. But when you are introducing a new format, you can't just throw it into the deep end. And again, The Brain is now in Equestria. And you never know, we may end up with Pinky meeting Pinkie.

Robshi likes this.
  14. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I had forgotten about that honestly! Yes but I think this is more overt though. In Bridle Gossip they don't even know what a Zebra is until Twilight points it out, they see Zecora as a mysterious and sinister pony for the way she acts - the lesson there is to not judge a book by its cover. That could be considered a form of subconscious racial aversion, which is a real thing as well, but in this episode it seems to come from a kind of Equestrian nationalism.

Well you could perhaps say the Movie already gave us that, and this is the next stage of it.

15. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

YAY! We're back. Not sure about everypony (or should I say, creature) else but that felt like a really long hiatus. I'm so glad to see our equine friends back. It's like just seeing the first few brief shots of our characters in their colourful environment and the return of those catchy songs just lifts the spirits it truly does :) .

OK, first things first....any hidden adjustments to the opening titles? Well, unless anypony else saw something different, it looked the same as last seasons.

I was pleased that this was a rather chilled out 'ease back in' sort of double bill. It wasn't an overly exciting and dramatic opener, but then, neither was last season, and to be honest if there was yet another one the mane 6 would surely be totally exhausted. I mean, they did save the equine world from the Storm King not too long ago.

"what did they do, bore him into surrender?"

I liked the fact this followed on from where the film left off (given the occasional references) rather than following on from the end of last season with all of those historical ponies. I didn't care too much for last season's ending and it was relief that this storyline didn't continue into the new season. I personally ended last year with the film, so it felt appropriate to carry on from where the film left off.

It was an imaginative idea. I liked the introduction of the new characters from the world's we have already got used to. It was great how they used particular characters from our mane 6 to teach the students based on their previous dealings with the creatures in earlier seasons, e.g. Pinkie Pie gave attention to the Yaks and Dashie the same with the Griffins.

Silver Stream - "STAIRS!!!!!"

The whole EEA things was a nice touch, a bit of fun for the adults since we are all too aware of the bureaucracy surrounding educational standards and the political standing with teaching everyone to the same set of standards and testing despite the fact we are all different. I thought this was very good how they portrayed this through the EEA. It was a nice metaphoric message about how one syllabus of learning is not appropriate for a world to which we are all different.

It was fun, easy to watch, a nice double bill to get back into the show and hopefully follow on to be a great season with imaginative ideas and the same great humour, music, messages and character development like we're used to.

Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

janglehooves and Mane25 like this.
  16. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

A very positive episode and a very Pony episode (which is ironic given the subject matter...;))
    I liked the movie references at the start and even though the movie felt a lot more season 4-ish to me it was nice to tie it in. It was also nice to see the Castle of the Two Sisters again! They also did a lot with what was in theory quite a simple plot. It's quite impressive going from "Twilight opens a friendship school" to the threat of war and rabid tribbles (or whatever those were...). And with all that going on I thought the pacing was very good and the ending didn't seem rushed to me like some of the other two-parters. The development of the friendship between the group of students was similarly well paced. Even within the confines of the time available, it didn't feel too forced. As characters I thought they were all very likeable, particularly Silver Stream whose enthusiam reminded me of Gabby the Griffon (who really should make a return writers!). There was some clever writing going on as the characteristics of their species went from being a source of antagonism to contributing to their friendship; a similar process to how the Mane 6 with their differing and potentially conflicting characters became such close friends without lessening their individuality. The Mane 6 themselves were pretty solidly written. I liked that Twilight didn't panic as she would have done in the past when things got off to a difficult start (even Spike was surprised!). OK, she did lose it when the school was shut down but her friends were there for her (and one of my biggest laughs was at Rarity and Pinkie's reaction to Twilight's line about dresses and cupcakes). I liked Starlight's role in advising her teacher as it's a similar development to what we have seen in Twilght and I too heartily agree that ripping up the rule book can be a positive thing at times...:)
    I found it a little unlikely that Twilight wasn't aware of the EEA but their introduction and the fact that they have influence over Celestia's school was an interesting development in the power balance of Equestria. As for the political message of the episode, it was possibly a little overt for Pony in my opinion though it did fit in to the long running theme of how friendship can unite those with very different personalities and outlooks; something we have also seen in the Brony fandom. And let's face it, I have long been an advocate for distancing ourselves from the EEA...:p

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  17. Recurrent Trotting

Not quite a great opener but this is the best one since the Cutie Marx opener 8/10
    the good
    the new characters and voices were great. I like the Skystarish hyppo (names will become familiar later) and the Ling especially (that makes her the first likeable ling given how much I dislike Thorax's early eps). Not just the students - the new parents were good too. The dynamics between the new characters was fun - their interactions had a bit of genuine tension unlike with the familiar Mane 6 cast which are such rounded characters now that there's either no tension or the conflicts are too implausible. Also the new characters have special abilities and racial traits - like the one who is also a fish (if people haven't seen the movie then they would be a bit confused by that :p ) Both of these elements were illustrated by the shy 'ling deceiving Fluttershy in order to seem cool with her friends. I hope they use these new elements to give us new plots eg a lesson about the issue of acting up to seem cool which shy 'ling demonstrated

the songs! aaaah I don't know how Daniel Ingram keeps them so fresh feeling. Both the songs had their moments for me :3

Starlight continues to rock. I remember when I used to groan at the thought of her being in the Mane 7 but her input is now something I look forward to most in the show

The humour is still there and it is fresh. I loved that AJ was just teaching Apple-supremacy and How-to-do-the Apple-Family's-chores class. I wish FiW were still producing because there's some great material there :p I was chuckling through both eps

the meh

the actual plot was nothing very dramatic or interesting tbh and the antagonists were ridiculous. Instead of Chryssie we have Chancellor Satan. Instead of attack by a race of changelings we have the dangers of excessive regulation?

the bad
    Celestia's lack of gravity is reaching cardboard cut-out levels of ridiculous. All the character development she got last season was completely lost on this 2d non-entity.

other things

the xenophobia message misfired a bit for me as it was undeveloped. Chancellor Satan wasn't allowed to develop much of a basis for his xenophobia since he was barely a character. Does Equestria jealously keep its magical secrets to itself? Do they think the dragons might invade if one of their own learns of any magical weaknesses. Do they think the Lings might abandon Thorax and use their friendship knowledge to more effectively deceive ponies? In Bridle Gossip the lesson was done properly as the irrational fear for Zecora was actually given some basis. It also grated that the Chancellor wouldn't have said that in front of Celestia and Twi or the mane 6 - he's not a villain bragging to the heroine, he's a bureaucrat

I think we could have done without Chancellor Satan entirely and had some more genuine misunderstandings between the students eg the Yak and pony being poked fun at for not flying or the Ling being teased for being shy or w/e. Hopefully we'll get more of that as the show progresses

#17 Recurrent Trotting, 24 March 2018
  18. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

So
    I Havent seen the film yet so I guess am missing some context. It was an ok season opener but not the best. The mane Six are just teachers now I guess meaning less appearance in the series?

19. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

It's not the worse season opener, but I felt it wasn't exactly great either

I love the whole idea of Twilight being a teacher and be able to wanting to teach everyone about friendship. I feel though, I find it unusual that the other 5 of the Mane Six would be teachers since they already have their own jobs, and being a teacher is a very time consuming job! I love the look of the school itself though, and I love the new characters introduced (not just the "Student Six" as I call them, but the other foals in the background. Not a big fan of Neighsay, but I loved Maurice Lamarche's performance. Overall I give it a 6/10, which is still a decent score and I can say Season 8 has gotten off to a good start :)

20. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

New pony time.

Fun. And it's good to see ponies back again :) Fast paced overall, but individual scenes had time to breathe, with lots of good character moments.

The opening has to be the clunkiest, fastest paced opening we've ever had. Establishing that Tempest has gone travelling, and we're opening a school now, and none of the Mane Six has an issue with becoming teachers (even though none of them have any teaching experience and most of them already have full time jobs) all in less than a minute and a half.

I did like Twilight asking Celestia questions about pedagogy, but boy is she underprepared for what she's trying to do.

I was half expecting the school to have grown, but I'm guessing they must have built it. No mention of how it was funded.

Same opening titles, which is odd since I definitely watched something that claimed to be the leaked Series 8 opening (and was fully animated, so it seemed legit). Maybe they've changed it since the leak happened?

The Chancellor was a fun villain, and from the way he left I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him. Wasn't familiar with the voice actor but he did good.

Fun detail, spot the statues of the pillars of Equestria in the school. Slightly surprised there was no mention of the pillars here, but fair enough.

It clearly should have been Queen Novo delivering the hippogriff student rather than a new hippogriff character, but I know full well why that couldn't happen. Same reason we can't have Tempest hanging around.

Overall, good fun start to the series, and it took us in a nice new direction. I like the new student characters (Yona the Yak's my favourite so far, but I'm sure they'll all grow on me). Makes me happy to see what the rest of Series 8 has to offer.

vcgriffin and GatewaytoGlimmer like this.