1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 10 - The Break Up Break Down

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 18 May 2018.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Air date:
    19 May 2018

Writer: Nick Confalone

Synopsis: "It's Hearts and Hooves Day and Big Mac has romantic plans for Sugar Belle, but the day takes a turn when he overhears his special pony tell Mrs. Cake she's planning on breaking up with him!"

We're back to a series regular to write this episode. Strange time of year for Hearts and Hooves Day stuff, but as the show wasn't on in February I suppose there was no choice! This looks like an "it was all a big misunderstanding" plotline to me, and I find those have a very variable success rate. Hopefully this will be one of the good ones! Right, discussion time. :)

Please use spoiler-cuts until 24 hours after the episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you.

#1 Loganberry, 18 May 2018
    Last edited: 18 May 2018
  2. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Hey, we did get "A Hearth's Warming Tail" in May, so there's precedent for out of date holidays.

I think my reaction to this one will be fairly predictable.

3. Recurrent Trotting

i'm calling it being a jealous mare pretending to be SB who wants BM to herself. or maybe Ocelus has a filly crush on Mac?

4. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

So many Belle shipfics to come this spring and summer. Hey Everfree by the way.

5. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Very cute and very entertaining!

I knew this episode would have been a sequel to Hard to Say Anything, but I surprised to see it acted as a continuity nod to Dungeons & Discord as well! I think as a trio, Big Mac, Spike and Discord go together really well. I loved Discord in this episode, the gag he makes about all the different types of tea he drinks when he sees Fluttershy was hilarious!

I genuinely do think the episode was constructed well and handled both of its subplots fine. I love the whole shipping idea between Sugar Belle and Big Mac, but also Big Mac's characterisation and he pretty explains why he's not so much of a talker. I can relate to him as I don't like the feeling of disappointment, and like him in this episode I always have a habit of jumping to conclusions, but I'm glad he realised he messed up in the end. The other minor subplot of the CMC thinking who Sweetie Belle's secret admirer supposedly was, was cute as well. It's adorable to see the young fillies express their ideas over love and it seems like they're completely open to shippers shipping them with colts, although people have done that for years :p As a small side notes, I loved the shipping tease between Lyra and Bon Bon, and it was nice seeing Cranky and Matilda again and I loved seeing the mailmares in the sorting office working with Derpy! Mind you I hear "Take my Breath Away" by Berlin in this episode, which I don't have a problem with, but it seems bizarre that we've gone 7 seasons of the show avoiding using copyrighted songs and then the 8th having 2 in 4 episodes! (the other being Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds in Surf and/or Turf.

Overall, this is one of the episodes where there is not much to say, other than the fact it's "entertaining". Which is a still a good thing! I give it a 7.5/10

#5 GatewaytoGlimmer, 19 May 2018
    Last edited: 19 May 2018
  6. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

I have an odd relation with this episode.

The thing is, is that we have had episodes like this before. Not in MLP, but just every other show. It is so predictable and I honestly just cringe every time I see it done. There is also a sub-plot that goes absolutely nowhere with the CMC. It is clearly just there to pad out the episode. However, one thing I did like was the final 3 minutes. It felt genuine and sweet. Discord pretty much spent all of the time complaining how it is all utter nonsense and that there is no such thing as over, (Did Celestia really dump you that hard?), but he did fix it and did it in an extremely subtle way that I thought it was just coincidence. Discord maybe still be evil inside, but good does shine through. Even without Fluttershy.

7. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

New episode time, and after last week's disarater how does this one fair?
    A hell of a lot better. I was not expecting Discord to be in this one but he was entertaining. We also get follow ups to three previous episodes as well (Hearts and Hooves day, Dungeons and Discord and Hard to say Anything) and my god is this the nearest we're going to get to DHX confirming that Lyra and Bonbon are in a relationship? Overall a nice solid episode which makes up for last week's train wreck. 7.5/10 good effort.

#7 moody magpie, 19 May 2018
    Last edited: 20 May 2018
  8. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I really liked it

The resolution may have been somewhat predictable, but it was entertaining, and with some good character development. I don't think we've quite seen Big Mac this vulnerable before, from downing his sorrows in cider, to hiding, and then wanting to hurt Sugar Belle first (even if that wasn't his idea). I could absolutely relate to what he said about not liking to talk. Sometimes it feels like delicate balancing act between saying too much and not enough, but it's good that he feels he can at least talk openly with Sugar Belle. Discord was good here, and quite unexpected. I'm not sure if he was stirring trouble or thought he was protecting Mac when he told him to break up with Sugar Belle first, but his breaking her wheel to let Big Mac catch up with her spoke volumes. I can't say Spike was developed much, other than revealing that he's a romantic in general, and not just around Rarity. He was still well written, though. I feel like in earlier seasons, he would've gagged at some of the things he said here, but perhaps he's also matured.

Seeing the CMC again was also a nice surprise. There may not have been that much substance to their subplot, but it was quite fun. I actually expected Sweetie Belle to be a bit more dissapointed to find there was no admirer, since she seems to have the strongest romantic ideals of the three. There wasn't much more depth shown to Sugar Belle either, but she does seems like quite a good match for Big Mac.

Have Big Mac and Sugar Belle been in the title sequence for the whole season? I hadn't noticed them, but I'm usually distracted by Maud carving a rock :p.

9. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Yep they have! It seems like foreshadowing as to what was gonna happen this season :p

10. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Not a huge amount to say, but generally I liked this.

A very predictable "misunderstanding" plot, but I can forgive that as the episode was entertaining pretty much throughout. I'm not a huge fan of romance-heavy episodes in a show explicitly about the notion that friendship is central, but I don't feel that strongly about it when it's side characters. Discord was funny, if a bit over-the-top. The CMC subplot was amusing, though I was a bit surprised that Scootaloo of all fillies seemed open to the idea of a special somepony; I guess that's just character development, but she certainly wouldn't have felt like that a few seasons ago! Cute Derpy scene, too. Probably a highish three stars out of five, ie the top end of "good". Certainly I liked it a lot more than "Non-Compete Clause". :)

11. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Different, but I liked it.
    At first I wasn't too keen on the promise, the romance-heavy episodes do sometimes feel a bit out of place - although it's worth remembering that there has been romance in the show ever since S2 with Hearts and Hooves Day, then you had A Friend in Deed, and A Canterlot Wedding.

But actually I can't fault the way this episode turned out and find it difficult to say a bad thing about it, I thought it had good writing, good pacing, and a lot of elements to it that worked together well. I liked the involvement of the CMC because it tied it back to the original Hearts and Hooves Day and highlights their character development as well, and having Discord there was a nice surprise. It was quite an emotional episode, and the lesson is not something that has really been done in MLP before.

12. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Now that was a fun episode!

The misunderstanding was rather predictable, but I did get a laugh out of Spike's unconvincing theory to console Big Mac being spot on.

Speaking of Spike, he looked adorable as he was cooing over Big Mac's pie. I do have to wonder about the pictogram method of address though. Surely that's going to lead to a lot more parcel mix ups!

The CMC were sweet in this, with their not so subtle ways of trying to find out Sweetie Belle's "secret admirer".

There were a lot of fun cameos in this episode. We got Derpy in the post office, Button Mash plus we saw Maud and Mudbriar together. I laughed at Boulder having a romantic moment with Mudbriar's pet stick. There were nods to earlier episodes too, with references to Hearts and Hooves Day, Hard to Say Anything and Dungeons and Discords.

I did wonder if having so many characters being focused on in the episode might be detrimental, but it was well paced and very entertaining. Certainly a step up after last week.

13. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Spoilering mostly to make sure I don't stretch things.

Big Mac and pie. Delicious things that just go together.

So Spike's game intro is how you summon Discord now?

Who knew Discord was so jaded about Hearts and Hooves Day?

No, Mac, not that face! Great, now I'm doing everything he wants forever.

Hee, Mac giggles!

Who hurt Discord to make him this jaded?

Lawn mowing once is bad enough. Eternity is Hell.

Eee! Bouncing Big Mac!

Hah, this mixup is predictable but unexpected in this manner.

Mac's mane is so majestic when he runs.

Sad Mac is bad. Breaking up with Sugar Belle is good. Conflicted.

No, not the wailing!

Jan did recently tease a return of Button Mash. Coincidentally timed with this relatively long bit of screentime?

Hiding from problems. Clearly the proper response.

Oh geeze, Discord, stop making things worse.

That's a pretty blunt breakup.

"Words hurt." Way too true.

That's the second hardest they've teased a canonical LyraBon. Now let's get FlutterDash hardcore teased.

Communication is key, but I get why Mac is so quiet. It's also a little bit of a change from back in Brotherhooves Social when he was more reluctant to open up.

Hey, explicitly stated communication lesson. Good.

Hey, man, Discord, no need to put Spike down for having a waifu. It happens.

Robshi likes this.
  14. TheDashingJack

TheDashingJack "An excellent UKoE user."

That was so incredibly adorable! Definitely one of my favorites of the season so far.

The conflict involving the CMC finding their secret admirer felt admittedly pointless to the main conflict and revelation, but I guess if it was to contribute to the whole "misunderstanding on both sides" plot it doesn't matter too much. However, I loved the full focus on side characters this episode (it's rare that one or more of the mane six aren't involved in an episode at all); the interactions between Spike and Discord are almost always a guaranteed laugh.

15. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

This was a pretty fun episode, certainly miles better than last week's. :p

I wasn't expecting to see Discord this episode, but he was a nice addition, and I liked the interaction between him and Spike.

The main plot was pretty predictable, but still enjoyable. I liked the continuity nod to "Where the Apple Lies" when Big Mac says that talking too much just gets him in to trouble. And yup, he's a big ol' softie at heart. :p I thought it was cute when he was going on about Sugar Belle's "scrunchy nose face". :p

The subplot with the CMC wasn't really necessary, but it does fit in with the theme of this episode and it was nice to see them again. I loved the bit when Sweetie asked Button Mash. :p

It was interesting that none of the main characters, other than Spike, made an appearance, but this was a nice focus on some side characters. Not the best episode by any means, but pretty good and one I wouldn't mind watching again. :)

16. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

This one really surprised me. It might just be my new favourite of the season. Although I need time to digest it a bit.

Some really slick solid writing, particularly the dialogue. Honestly, I had a blast :).

17. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

• Hah, Discord's take on H&H day - kind of true ;)
    • Big Mac joins the puppy face manipulation bandwagon :p
    • Have Big Mac and Sugar Belle always been together in the new OP? I never noticed before
    • Meet him in the barn for a surprise..... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Either way the magazine calling her his girlfriend was canon, I remember reading that and thinking "oh"
    • Big Mac wearing Peter New's hat (at least it looks like one of his)
    • They had to ask Button Mash whether he sent the pie to Sweetie didn't they xP
    • Oh the Lyrabon ship sailed a bit more overtly this time - that's pretty bold as Hasbro/MLP goes
    • Poor Sweetie getting yelled at... but she lived up to her name about it
    • D'aww at them getting back together
    • D'aww at the CMCs
    • D'aww at Discord's softer side
    Pshhhh fine, that was actually a darn sweet hearts and hooves episode. Back on form!

#17 Cloudane, 22 May 2018
    Last edited: 22 May 2018
  18. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

Oh this old cliche...

That said, I was rather bemused that it turned out both of Spike's theories were actually correct. Cos that was just weird.

The moment when the CMC worked out about the misunderstanding about the 'mystery admirer' was sweet.

It was kinda nice to see Ogres and Ogliettes again as well.

I think this story would have been a lot more just there if it hadn't been for Discord's presence, and I liked the friendship between him and Spike.

Okay so it's no Surf and/or Turf, and it isn't even on the level of The Parent Map, but I would put it above at least Non-Compete Clause, Fake it till you Make it, and The Maud Couple.