1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 11 - Molt Down

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 24 May 2018.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

[​IMG]
    Spike Breathing Fire by StormCrow-42
    ( CC by-nc-sa 3.0 )

Air date:
    26 May 2018

Writer: Josh Haber

Synopsis: "Spike struggles with a series of bizarre symptoms that Smolder explains is something all dragons go through in adolescence: 'the molt.' Smolder also reveals an unfortunate 'molt side-effect' that compels a molter's family to kick them out of the house!"

This is Josh Haber's first episode of S8, and it's another that's been leaked, so please be extra careful about spoilers. Also our first Spike-sode of the season, although the little dragon did play a strong supporting role in "The Break Up Break Down". I've kept the US spelling of "molt" in the synopsis given that it's in the episode name -- it's the same word we spell "moult" over here. Anyway, there's a hint of Spike growing up here. "Secret of My Excess" showed a worrying version of that, so let's see how different this one is. Off we go!

Please use spoiler-cuts until 24 hours after the episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you.

2. Recurrent Trotting

*snort* molt down

best pun yet?

3. TheDashingJack

TheDashingJack "An excellent UKoE user."

A Spike episode that has the potential to be good? It's more likely than you think!

4. Loganberry

Spike did well last week (at least, most of us thought so) and so it would be really nice to see him get another strong showing today. I haven't seen the leaks, so although I do know one thing that happens I don't know how it will happen. Hoping I can keep it that way until I see the ep! :)

5. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Ok new episode time and:
    Oh my gosh Spike has wings! While this episode wasn't the greatest one ever made, it made up for by having Spike getting an upgrade. I feel that Pinkie was a bit pointless in this one and was nice to see Zecora again. This gets a 7/10 from me due to Spike getting his wings.

#5 moody magpie, 26 May 2018
    Last edited: 26 May 2018
  6. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

One of my favorite Spike eps

7. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

The one that I nearly spoiled for myself. Dang leaks.

I think I'm right in saying that Spike is the only character in history to go through puberty 3 times. Strange life he leads. One of the things that I would answered was the fact why Spike didn't get wings when he went on his rampage. I just assumed he was part of kind of dragon that was not meant to fly. It answered here as that was more an decelerated growth then growing up. With Spike now earning his wings (by ageing take that Twilight) we really don't have many questions left. The general questions have now been limited to 1. That being will Scootaloo be able to fly? Personally the other question I want answered is how Rarity became as she is, despite the fact her father appears to be a layabout do nothing guy, and her mother appearing to be a waitress at a Diner?

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  8. Loganberry

Well, that was interesting!
    I'd been spoiled on the fact that Spike got wings, but I didn't know how it would happen. This was a pretty solid Spike-sode, I think -- making two good showings in a row for the not-so-little-any-more guy. Peewee's cameo was a nice start, and Smolder was good too. There was quite a bit of cringe humour this time, so that will probably prove divisive, but I didn't think it was too bad. Good to see Zecora take a significant part again, and the roc was quite an impressive new monster. Satisfying to see some real danger in the Everfree Forest again. The "Spike whispers and then shouts" joke was maybe overused, and like @moody magpie said Pinkie wasn't really necessary. Twilight was a little snarkier than usual too, almost reminiscent of her early days. Quite a few callbacks in this episode, actually.
    Rarity has a pretty ferocious work ethic when she's not distracted, so I imagine she pretty much worked her way up by sheer effort and determination. It would be interesting to know some backstory about her early adulthood, actually.

9. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

I'd remained unspoiled, so...

That was a total surprise. I quite liked the "regeneration" glow around Spike before he got his wings. I agree that Pinkie was pointless in this one, but I enjoyed her comic contributions. Rarity's own volume control issues were amusing as well. All-in-all, good to see Spike get some more character development!

One minor niggle - when Zecora and Rarity were falling, why didn't Twilight simply perform a teleport spell? Obviously a nice touch to have them being caught though

10. Solar Wind

That's only fan theory though. I STILL WANT AN EPISODE ABOUT THEM. We've gone more in depth about the other mane 7's parents either by episodes giving more depth from what we knew or just having them largely in the background and learn a lot from that. Even Starlight's father has more screen time then Rarity's parents.

11. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Loved it!

I think this episode proves that Spike episodes works best when it focuses on his character development rather than a sake of a gag like Spike at your service and Princess Spike. I enjoyed watching him in this episode and what he went through was basically dragon puberty. The interaction between Smolder and Spike was pretty cool as well and I do like how she was so willing to help him out, even if she did terrify him a bit but that's what I think she's naturally like :p It was great seeing Zecora again and I like how she played a more major role in this episode, the climax was fantastic and I'm so glad he's finally got his wings! Seeing Rarity's and Twi's reactions was heartwarming, but I'm not sure about Rarity taking advantage of him now xD

Overall, great episode! Really enjoyed and I'm delighted for Spike. I'll give it a 8.5/10

Mane25 likes this.
  12. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Active Pony

Just caught up

Spike has wings! I'm glad I had no idea about that. Spike's molt did seem a bit sudden both to come and to go, especially since the way Smolder described it made it seem like a long process. I suspect the dragons kicking their molting young out is an instinct to have their young sink or swim. Although, did Smolder have a guardian in School Daze, or did Ember just drag her along? Her size and wings would suggest that she molted some time ago.

It was great to see a lot of Zecora, especially since I expected her to just have a quick scene or two like she used to. I do feel that I like Smolder more after this, and it would be nice to see Spike relate to her more in future, I think. I think it was quite powerful that Spike feared rejection from both Twilight and Rarity, for different reasons, and that those were the two he had to face. All in all, the resolution felt similar to Dragon Quest: "You're still one of us".

Spike's discomfort at growing up did hit home a bit for personal reasons, but I'm glad he didn't just metamorphasise into a full grown adult dragon, since growing up is a gradual process you barely even feel happening. It also practically confirms that the student six are teenagers, maybe just a bit older than the CMC, assuming they'e all about the same age.

So I guess The Break Up Breakdown was kinda Spike's last episode as a child, then...

GatewaytoGlimmer and Robshi like this.
  13. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Maybe I was just in the right mood for it today but I haven't enjoyed an episode this much for a long time!
    Although they're completely different in some ways, the feel/pacing/humour of it took me back to some early fun episodes like Swarm of the Century, Feeling Pinkie Keen, Cutie Pox, etc. - only this time it's brought up to date and has some real character development. Good job, more than makes up for two episodes ago. :)

I like that they included the school, in particular Spike's interaction with Smolder - they could have easily ignored/forgotten than Spike had another dragon there to talk to, but they didn't, so that's great. Also it felt a bit weird because I never thought of Spike as being younger than the student six, but that's fine.

I don't know why it made me laugh so much but Pinkie bursting into the room with "is this the shouting closet!?" really got me, it was so unexpected, I had to pause the episode to laugh. I don't really understand criticisms that Pinkie was unnecessary, she was just there, it would be a bit boring if they made episodes with only episode-relevant characters and nopony else.

A bit annoyed at myself though, I managed to avoid all spoilers for this episode until an hour before I watched it, and it was my own fault because I was knowingly dipping into discussions with spoilers hoping not to see anything too major. So I knew all about Spikes wings, oh well, I'm glad he got them, and the surprise would have made the episode even better.

I haven't watched Secret of my Excess in ages, but I would be interested to watch it again to see how consistent that canon is. I'm glad that they at least mentioned it here. When was the 3rd time?

GatewaytoGlimmer likes this.
  14. Solar Wind

Back in season 1 during 'The Cutie Mark Chronicles'. Twilight's magic goes out of control and makes a newly hatched spike grow about 172.3 feet.

15. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

10 characters? Spike, Pinkie Pie, Twilight, Zecora, Rarity... did we even hit 10 characters in this episode? :p
    WHAT'S WITH ALL THE SHOUTING IN THIS EPISODE! UM, THANK YOU LARSON!!!

He had to have some sort of involvement... I... saw... wings! Actual wings, I had to actually rewind the episode in iTunes because I couldn't believe what happened. Anyone else get a Crusaders of the Lost Mark vibe from this one?

Who knew Spike could Metapod very well. XD

Mane25 likes this.
  16. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Pretty great for me. :)

I was spoiled on the Spike wings; someone on Twitter making an obvious Red Bull joke (my fault for going on there to begin with). But apart from missing the 'shock' of that, I really enjoyed this one. Spike's glowing 'reveal' scene was reminiscent of when Alicorn Twi appeared, or when the CMC got there marks. Boy, things have moved on over the years haven't they! Also I wasn't sure if they were going to change spike in other ways, but it's probably for the best they didn't.

I loved Smolder's roll in the episode too. I'd have been disappointed if neither her or Ember were present in a 'Spike gets his wings' episode.

Loud Rarity was funny, as was Pinkie's quick 'yelling closet' gag.

My headcannon:

;)

Aldersgate and Robshi like this.
  17. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Wow, this episode even managed to top last week's episode.

Darn it, can't anyone in this show get a pair of wings without the entire internet posting it everywhere in advance! I knew about Spike's wings after looking up some images of the premier episode. I didn't realise there were leaks this far in. At least the rest of the episode was a mystery.

I also feared this episode might get thrown under AJ and Dash's poor episode in the season rankings purely for being a Spike episode. That doesn't seem to be likely looking at the reaction, but I'm still sore about Princess Spike when What About Discord exists. *pout*

As for the episode itself, you can probably guess that I loved it. It was sweet to see Smoulder give some dragon advice, even if she wasn't reassuring in the slightest. She may as well have said "You stink and you're ugly. Go away." :p

Spike's behaviour was very on point, with his main concerns being about rejection from the ponies he cares about the most. His attempts to hide it didn't end well though, particularly with Pinkie who threw him in the deep end. She really has a knack for unintentionally making things worse. Still Pinkie was hilarious in this ep, she was far from pointless!

I loved the appearances from Zecora and Rarity (What!?). It's been a while since we've seen Zecora and Rarity was funny with her hearing problem. She was so sweet on her... wait, was that a date? With Spike!? :eek:

The transformation was fantastic. I rather liked seeing petrified Spike whilst Twilight was zapping a Roc in the background. The wings look great too. Finally Spike is a proper dragon. I'm so proud of you buddy. I always believed in you, even when everyone else criticised you harshly.

This is my favourite episode so far, and it will be very tough to beat. This episode has a lot going on but it was all executed well. Season 8 has certainly shown there is plenty of magic yet. Now, I'm just wondering if I covered everything.

Rarity: Did you mention my fabulous appearance darling?

Snowyshy likes this.
  18. Snowyshy

I am now leaking that Snowyshy is going to get wings. Apologies in advance. :p

Edit: I didn't know the episode was leaked. I'm very surprised I haven't run into spoilers.

#18 Snowyshy, 27 May 2018
    Last edited: 27 May 2018
  19. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

A lot of Season 8 episodes seemed to have had their animatic leaked for some time now. Naturally this is enough for some screenshots and stuff to spread everywhere. You'd think Hasbro and DHX would be better at keeping show secrets safe until the air date by now, but it doesn't like they'll do much now.

20. Snowyshy

I see. Months ago, I did see a picture of Spike with wings, but didn't think much of it since it was pretty much a fanmade thing. I assumed it was fanmade given I've seen the Mane six as alicorns before, and that was fanmade.

Again, it wasn't an official Hasbro/DHX picture, so I just guessed it was fanmade. I usually wait until something official anyway.