1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 12 - Marks for Effort

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 29 May 2018.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

[​IMG]
    Hanging with the CMC ^^ by BabyAbbieStar
    ( CC by-nc-nd 3.0 )

Air date:
    2 Jun 2018

Writer: Nicole Dubuc

Synopsis: "The CMCs try to convince Twilight to let them into her School of Friendship, even though it's clear they've already mastered the curriculum."

We're back with the Crusaders this time. I'm intrigued as to why they want to go back to school -- especially since they barely seem to attend the school they already have these days. :p Anyway, discussion now open. (And no, Mario isn't in this episode, of that I'm pretty certain. I just thought it was a cute CMC pic!)

Please use spoiler-cuts until 24 hours after the episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you.

2. sten whik

sten whik Space

7.9/10
    A well put together episode that perfectly balanced on the edge of the cliff that plummets from enjoyment to cringe.
    Yay they distracted them from what they actually wanted by giving them awards and more work to do! :p

3. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

I have to say this episode was rater good. A lot of people have been complaining that it is rather cringe worthy, but I do think it has the right balance between of the good that it does distract you from the cringyness. Then again I could still be de-censoredized from Non-Complete cause. I think Starlight Glimmer has officially won the award for best faces of the season and the CMC gave me diabetes.

Also can someone answer this question for me because it has really been bugging me. Does season 8 only have 13 episodes?

4. sten whik

sten whik Space

No it has 26 with a mid-season break.

5. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Cute episode :)

Twilight: [reading from Cozy Glow's test answers] "'Who is the Princess of Friendship?' 'Your mom'"
    Can't say I was expecting that. :p

I love the jilted dialogue the CMC used when they were "arguing" in front of Pinkie and Fluttershy, and when they broke character to give each other a hug and congratulate each other on their acting. :p

Starlight pulled some great faces in this ep. :p

Cute episode and each of the CMC were in top form. :)

6. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Active Pony

Another solid episode

I had wondered how the mane 6 actuallly teach, so it was nice to see a bit of that. I'm still not quite sure how they could sustain that for months/years, though. It's also nice to see other background students, even if many of them are seemingly ponies.

The CMC were good, and it was nice to see another episode about them as ponies, rather than helping others find their place. When ponies try to act, they need to realise that spacing out every single syllable and speaking in near monotone does not make them sound convincing :p. Can't really blame them for wanting to join the school of friendship, but I found what Twilight said about them needing Cheerilee's lessons interesting. The implication is that they need academic education more, but wouldn't the other creatures also need that in balance? Maybe they do theach that stuff at the school of friendship, but it doesn't seem that way.

I don't trust Cozy Glow. From the start, there's something about her that reminds me of Suri Polomare. I don't know how or why, but I can't help feeling that she planned the whole thing. The CMC have a massive reputation for helping ponies, so it would make sense that she would take advantage of their giving nature. I'm not sure why she cleared things up at the end, but something's not right. There's a certain insincerity in her voice, and her cutie implies she's quite manipulative.

Starlight was good as a guidance counsellor, and I'm glad to see she still has that mischievious spark. That she almost has to be reminded, if only by herself that such things are actully bad is what sets her apart from the others

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  7. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

That was a fun one

Good to get more time with the CMC, and Scootaloo's penchant for deeply unconvincing disguises. Their strategies for trying to get into the school were all fairly amusing, (and amusingly poor). It was also quite sweet that they were unable to hide their friendship when setting up their "argument" (although Sweetie Belle falling on her face was quite convincing).

The only thing that didn't quite work for me was how quick Twilight was to blame the CMC for deliberately misleading Cozy Glow. I'd have expected her to know them better than that. Of course maybe she's just giving students the benefit of the doubt, but it did seem a bit out of character.

Starlight stole the episode for me. The momentary appreciation for the deviousness of Cozy's plan, the "I'm listening" (which I really hope was a Frasier reference), the talking to herself and "empathy cocoa... Great stuff. I'd like to have seen more of her this season in a school setting.

And to top it all off, a nice Dead Poet's Society reference for Spike.

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  8. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I can understand the people saying this episode has a slight cringyness to it, and I've never really felt that in MLP before but it's there - but I don't mind because it was fun to watch. The graduating the school thing was unnecessary, and the idea of them tutoring at the school is a bit weird, but I'm fine with it.

Cozy Glow though... the more I think about it, the more I think there's a lot more to this character than meets the eye, like @Candy Yunagi I don't trust her - she has a chess piece as a cutie mark, and she's very manipulative throughout (something even Starlight had appreciation for). While the CMC's point was that friendship is about giving without expecting anything in return, which is admirable, Cozy Glow has really given nothing of herself while taking a lot. At one point I thought this episode's lesson might be about being taken advantage of, but it didn't go there. At this point I don't know anything about future episode spoilers, or what, if anything else, has been leaked - but my speculation is that this is more than just a filler episode, the CMCs joining the school is a significant development, and we'll see more of Cozy Glow.

It's funny because I was recently beginning to wonder what ever happened to the original school and Cheerilee. Good to have it back. I would say in Equestria friendship is more important than any other subject given the crucial role it plays in the universe. Ponies naturally learn about friendship growing up, but other creatures and some ponies need to have it taught and that's what the friendship school is for. So given the importance of friendship, it's natural the friendship school would prioritise it over all other subjects.

I did think that as well at the time, but then again the CMCs aren't the Mane 6, they're well-meaning but still a bit flaky, and I don't know that they've earnt as much trust as Twilight's closest friends.

#8 Mane25, 3 June 2018
    Last edited: 3 June 2018
    Candy Yunagi likes this.
  9. Recurrent Trotting

charming, sweet sort of an ep. it's what I go to school for :p 8/10
    the school setting is really working to help pony stay relevant to its intended audience, with a message of students asking for help and of helping others. It's standard kiddie pone stuff but it made me glow. Also the setting helps the show come full circle, with new characters learning about friendship in the familiar setting, and since that was what got me into pony (well also songs) I'm lapping it up :3

other thing I liked was the pegasi foal helping the earth foal. That stuff is basic pony without any gloss and it was appreciated.

heh I noticed that cutie mark too, and I don't think ponies typically have single chess pieces like that either. I don't think she's manipulative exactly, as she did think she was rewarding the CMCs by getting them into the school, but Glimmer praising her deviousness was interesting :D perhaps the chess is there to represents a bit of a socially awkward shy disposition - prefers chess to rough and tumble stuff? That would also fit with her going to a school to teach friendship too.

Cosy seemed a bit ott at first and was getting towards cringish territory but I warmed to her too. Also I like her mane :3

#9 Recurrent Trotting, 3 June 2018
    Last edited: 3 June 2018
    Mane25 likes this.
  10. TheDashingJack

TheDashingJack "An excellent UKoE user."

It was a fine episode. Amazing? Nah. But certainly one I won't mind giving a rewatch.

For anyone who has seen the Season 8 leaks, I think it's pretty obvious to all of us now that Cozy will be a future villain of some sort. The foreshadowing in some scenes is just so obvious at this point. :p

#10 TheDashingJack, 3 June 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: 4 June 2018
  11. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Great episode!

I love the whole concept of the episode and the way it was handled. I get the impression the CMC want to be in the school so badly because they see the Mane Six (especially their respective sisters) as their idols alongside the fact they find Cheerliee's class so boring. They were very adorable throughout! Watching them trying to get in was really funny and my favourite was seeing them "argue" in front of Fluttershy and Pinkie. Which was setup really cleverly considering the other 4 weren't allowing them in, and since Pinkie noticing immediately that they staging, but in a different sense was a clever piece of writing.

The big point of this episode however is Cozy Glow. If I had not seen the finale leaks I wouldn't have noticed the foreshadowing and I think she was being manipulative towards the Crusaders. I think she failed her test on purpose to try and make the CMC look bad, even if she did own up, I don't understand why she would have done it? Surely she'd pass with flying colours and Twilight would have noticed and the Crusaders would have graduated anyway? It's an interesting thought and makes me wonder how she will play out for the rest of the season...and as a small side note, I loved seeing Starlight acting as a guidance consular, aside from the fact it helped with the story it was just cool to see.

Overall a great episode! I give an 8/10.

#11 GatewaytoGlimmer, 4 June 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: 4 June 2018
  12. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

*Mod Hat on*
    Not everyone has seen the S8 leaks nor cares to know what is in them. Please clearly mark your spoiler tags so those who wish to watch this season’s story unfold as it airs on TV can avoid them.

Additionally, we do have a thread about the S8 leaks specifically, which is located here: https://ukofequestria.co.uk/threads/season-8-leaks-discussion.19167/ (May contain spoilers, obviously. :p )

Thank you.

#12 Bridle Timeout, 4 June 2018
    Last edited: 4 June 2018
  13. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I've finally managed to watch this episode after having sound problems following a Windows update again. Yay.

I did enjoy the Crusaders attempts to get into the school, particularly Repeatie Belle and her pestering of her sister. Their bad acting and out of character hug was good too.

I thought Twilight was jumping to conclusions about the CMC's tutoring. Come on Twi, you know them better than that! It didn't occur to you that the pressure of the exam just got to Cozy Glow? Those answers were rather suspect too. If you thought the Cutie Mark Crusaders could convince your student that "Your mom" is the Princess of Friendship you might want to worry about how gullible your pupil is. Also Cozy Glow can really turn on the waterworks when she wants, given she cried after intentionally failing her exam.

Starlight Glimmer, you know you could just look for work elsewhere in Ponyville if you're not being given anything to do at the school. Twilight isn't forcing you to be there. Still, it was fun to see her desperate for something to do, and her talk with Cozy Glow was rather funny. I see a couple of users here rather liked her expressions in that. I saw those user pics before seeing the episode. :p

It's a bit odd having the Cutie Mark Crusaders as tutors. Some of their pupils may be older than them! Then again, it's more logical than the teaching arrangement in Negima, whereby a ten year old boy ends up teaching a class of high school girls.

14. Thomas+Ponies

Thomas+Ponies I'm HowToBasic!

[​IMG]
    My latest waifu.

Seems like Professor's got some competition.

Also:
    Who is the Princess of Friendship?

[​IMG]

TheDashingJack likes this.
  15. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Ah, the joys of moving and ending up almost a whole week behind on pony. As usual, spoilered in hopes of not stretching the page too much.

Couldn't the CMC just ask their sisters to get a tour or something?

It does certainly look like a fun school.

So is this gonna be the CMC's Lesson Zero?

At least Sweetie is being direct about her desires.

And Scoot's disguise worked for once.

Gotta love the Equestrian School of Bad Acting. Seems everypony has gone to it.

Why aren't the CMC confused as to why a random filly is in the orchard at Sweet Apple Acres?

Is this filly manipulating the CMC?

Cactus in the eye. Classic earth pony trouble. Why don't they carry around goggles like the pegasi?

Eee, happy Mac. Nothing better than happy Mac. Even if that harlot is there. Harumph.

History of radishes? Isn't that more applicable to certain earth ponies than a general class?

That's a little warped to think control is an element of harmony.

I wonder why Twi was so quick to judge the CMC. She knows them better than that.

Midnight confessions?

And there's the evil streak in Starlight showing through.

And there's the CMC being brought into the fold.

16. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Another awesome CMC episode 10/10

17. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Finally getting round to this, several weeks late! I enjoyed this episode for the most part: it had some really nice dialogue, some cute CMC moments (that stilted "argument" :D) and an excellent supporting role from Starlight. I did think Twilight was a bit out of character in just assuming the Crusaders were in the wrong, though. That drags it down slightly from "excellent" to "pretty good", but still one I enjoyed.