1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 13 - The Mean 6

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 4 June 2018.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Starlight's Dream by YewDee
    Air Date: 9th June 2018
    Written By: Michael Vogel
    Synopsis: Queen Chrysalis returns and is ready to exact her revenge on Starlight Glimmer and the Mane 6.

Oooh, this is gonna be a good one. :D

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after the episode has aired on Discovery Family.

2. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Isn't this one suppose to air on Tiny Pop on Wednesday?

3. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Yep it is! (Half 4 to be exact). Set record for it, but not gonna post my thoughts until Saturday :)

4. Recurrent Trotting

I bet all the holes in chryssie's hoof that this becomes a reform ep led by Glimmer. I am kinda looking forward to Chryssie's VA being nice I guess.

I dedicate this song to the reformed Chryssie

5. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

The already leaked episode from the Winter

6. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Well just watched this one on Tiny Pop which makes a nice change to watch a new episode without relying on the internet. So what were my thoughts?
    This was really really good. It's always nice to see old cheese hole legs again who seems to be slowly slipping into insanity judging by the way she was acting at the beginning of the episode. The clones of the name six were basically more intense versions of the ponies after they were brainwashed by Discord in the Return of Harmony episode.(However I did get a Starscream from Transformers vibe from Twilight's clone.) As for the mane six themselves? They were all enjoyable and seem to be written like they're supposed to be. I if had a nitpick it would be that Starlight felt like the brunt of the jokes in this one which is a shame especially after a strong showing in the last episode. Overall this gets a 8.5/10 from me. A solid episode to end the first half of the season. Let's hope the second half won't be as controversial with any leaks like the first half.

#6 moody magpie, 6 June 2018
    Last edited: 6 June 2018
  7. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Well watching a brand new episode on a traditional TV was a novelty.

And it's a direct sequel to the last time that happened.

What a strange episode. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. I guess this means Chrysie's gonna come back some time later this season? I can't see why else they wouldn't have the Mane 6 confront her this episode. I wasn't expecting to reach the episode's end with the Mane 6 still completely oblivious to Chrysalis's presence; I was sure they were gonna figure out what was going on, but no, I guess not.

Otherwise, fun episode. Focussing on all of the Mane 7 meant no-one had the spotlight but everyone had a moment to shine. Quite a dark ending in a way since the fake six seem to be destroyed by the end. Were they alive? Who knows.

Also, it seems Pinkie Pie at least is aware of the musical numbers, since she remembered singing "Let the Rainbow Remind You". :p

8. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Also watched on Tiny Pop
    That's four episodes in a row now that I could describe as being 'a bit strange' but in a good way. After a bit of a hit-and-miss start I'm really enjoying the direction this season is taking, and it's good that they can still be innovative like this.

The funny thing is that even though I knew she was going to be there from the synopsis, it was still a surprise. Obvious parallels to Return of Harmony, the opposite-Mane 6 was as amusing then as it was now. Unexpected that they never found out, and brilliant, because they managed to resolve their 'differences' without even having them, and now we speculate when they'll meet again. Of course the elements destroyed the fake six, they're opposite forces with harmony being the stronger one.

Looking forward to the second half, just hope it's not spoiled too much.

DerpyWhooves and CuldeeFell like this.
  9. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

Chryssi's back from her 20 month sabbatical out for revenge:

Well considering she's been out of the game for well over a year you reckon she would have had a more full proof plan that that.

To be honest this just summed up my feelings on the whole storyline since the start after season 7. It is as if the whole thing was meant to happen anyhow, like the mane 6 were all just part of a much bigger series of events all involved with the tree of harmony. So, is it no suprise that the tree rejected these 'fake 6' immediately. It was so pleasing to see Chrysalis morph out of the pony photographer at the start only for this to feel a bit of a rubbish-y story as it seemed quite early on that these fake versions were never going to get anywhere, even if they did posess the elements, they weren't exactly getting on with Chrysalis and the broken down team would have been finished off quite easily by the real mane 6 anyhow.

So to me, there is only one thing to take away from this.

'Fake Twily' tells Chryssi in a joking sense that as she is on her own, she needs 'friends', to which Chrissy disagrees and demands her need for servants.

Maybe Chrysalis will now learn that if she is ever going to be on level terms and have any chance, she needs to bring her ego down and do away with the idea of servant armies, and make friends with a similar ideology. I reckon there is at least one other creature she could befriend and give us a sendoff finale for season 9 we all want but the writers probrably have other plans instead.

Meanwhile Cosy Glow is plotting some more elsewhere....

10. Recurrent Trotting

loads of fun :D the last few eps have been greatness - but still something missing 8/10
    and that thing is a good song!

the good
    anyway replacing the friends one or two at a time like that has been done in the comics with changelings and now we have the discorded versions back. Best were Flutterbitch and Twi-lord. AJ and Rarity were just too OTT. Dash and Pinkie didn't quite work either. What did work was the response of the real mane 6 to their counterparts. Poor Flutters D:

I enjoyed the dynamic between Chryssie and her clones too - when Twi turned on her it was a dramatic moment. Always good to see two villains rival it out.

the meh
    while I enjoyed Chryssie, seeing her like this was a bit of a let down. similar to Discord I guess... her intro as the Changeling queen was just so friggin epic, and I will always remember that s2 finale as I was only just a brony that year and was totally taken in by wedding hype :D so the ep had high standards of character to live up to and there was probably no way it could have delivered on them. Chryssie talking to herself at the start was a bit of a let down

the eep!

pony does have some eerie ways of killing things off. In the movie the king statue was turned into an evil crystal thing and shattered and now we have the clones melt in front of our eyes D: I'm not 100% sure I'd like my youngest niece (big pony fan :3 ) see that tbh and that is probably the first time I've ever felt that pony went a little into the 8+ territory, but maybe I'm being oversensitive. I still remember seeing the friggin ark of the covenant thing melting people's faces as a kid and that terrified me :p

11. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

I wasn't able to to catch the episode airing originally and because I was excited to see it, I decided to watch the one that was leaked a while a back.

It was not worth it. By god this was annoying. How could a villain go from being legit terrifying to a slight nuisance with more holes in her plan then her own legs? I honestly believe that Queen Chrysalis is now the worst villain in the series. At least King Sombra looked menacing. At least all the reformed villains kept it to the end and even some of the evil still contained within them. I'm not sure what would be worst. This or reforming her. I can see why they didn't save her for the season finale.

Nsxile likes this.
  12. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Active Pony

That was pretty awesome.

The fakes were quite fun, and I did like the small details, like their cutie marks being opposite colours and/or upside down. I enjoyed Chrysalis getting increasingly furious with them. I did have to suspend my disbelief a little bit that the mane 6 didn't suspect anything, let alone notice they were practically Discorded, though. I really thought Applejack was about to expose the fake Rarity at one point, but it seems they just assumed the others were in a bad mood. In fairness, such arguments are inevitable on occasion.

I kinda expected Chrysalis' plan to blow up in her face worse than it did, with the fake 6 rising to power at some point. Creating an evil being with Twilight's intelligence was never going to end well for her., although that probably would've had to be a two-parter. It also makes sense in hindsight that the tree/elements would reject the fakes. Chrysalis clearly didn't think that through, but from the first few scenes, it doesn't seem like she's in any mental place to.

I did like the possible Best Night Ever reference at the end. I thought it was really clever that the dramatic irony was never actually resolved. For the name 6, it was just another episode of becoming closer to each other, and the ending would've been a normal one, right down to the music, if not for Chrysalis flying into the background. It really wasn't a satisfying resolution, but I think that's a good thing in this case. Needless to say, I don't think we've seen the last of her.

And this may be the closest I get to seeing two each of the mane 6 in the Equestria Girls world, so I enjoyed that.

13. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

My overall thoughts on this episode are positive but...

I'm not sure how I would put it. I agree with @Mane25 that the episode was that good kind of strange. It was definitely hilarious though! At first when I saw the Mean Six were just meant to be like the Mane Six when they were discorded, I was really expecting much from there on, but the way it was handled was excellent! I love Twilight's arrogance in particular and how she's really doing this for herself and not Chrissy. Best part for me though was seeing Chrysalis getting frustrated like she was looking after 6 bratty kids who weren't listening to what she was doing. I liked (Regular) Rarity's characterisation in this episode and how she was the only one who suspected (albeit not noticing) that something was up with the mean Applejack. I liked some of the more heartwarming moments as well, particularly like how Pinkie was comforting Fluttershy. I think though this episode is really clever with the whole "being frustrated with your mates every once in a while" is the whole part and parcel of friendship, even if it wasn't presented in an obvious way. I still think Chrissy is the best villain in the series as well and it was nice to see another side to her like this and I did wonder what happened to her. Also wondered how she managed to find out about the Mane Six's photographer coming to the school, but I guess she just heard.

Overall though, great episode, even if a bit bizarre but that's not a bad thing. I'll give it a 9/10 and a great way to end the half season :)

14. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

But this is exactly how I would expect Chrysalis to be - she lost her army, so now she's alone, powerless and desperate.

GatewaytoGlimmer likes this.
  15. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

It's been more than 24 hours, so no need for spoiler tags anymore. :)

Anyway, this episode was weird. :p

In a good way though. Chryssy certainly seems to have lost her mind though. :p I liked the fake Mane 6, particularly fake!Applejack's constant lying and fake!Twilight's arrogance and deviousness.

I thought it was interesting how the real Mane 6 never really realised that they were dealing with fake counterparts and instead seemed to assume that their friends were just in a really bad mood. I felt sorry for the real Twilight when she thought her friends thought so negatively about their little retreat, but she handled it well. :) (Cute bonding moment between the six at the end, though :) )

I figured the Tree of Harmony would reject the fake Mane 6, but those melty faces were strange and creepy. :p

It was strange that there wasn't a real confrontation between the fake and real Mane 6 or Chryssy, but I have a feeling she'll be back later on... :)

16. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

The problem is though is that on her 2 previous attempts, they were ingenious to capture and/or defeat a princess. Now she can't even control or even over power 6 pieces of wood. She may have had her army back then, but surely there are better ways to do it.

Nsxile likes this.
  17. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

So we head off into the hiatus with what I felt was a rather underwhelming episode. This just felt like a rehashed version of the Return of Harmony, and the weakest appearance of Chrysalis yet. She goes from the queen of a hive to being barely able to control six pony clones as she pursues a plan that is doomed to fail from the start. How the mighty have fallen.

I'm surprised the Mane 6 didn't say anything when the reporter was clipping hair from them randomly. You know something is up if someone is gathering materials to make voodoo dolls! Also, I was a little bemused to see her snap a photo of Rainbow Dash's rear.

I did enjoy the return of greedy Rarity, and it seems this time she has an eye for more than Tom. I also see the normal Rarity is trying to pack light, and then misses all her luxuries.

Some of the clones were amusing, but Rainbow Dash and Pinkie's copies didn't really do anything. Applejack also babbled way too much. Even Rarity sensed something was up with her.

I think the bigger problem was this episode just seemed to plod on as the two groups make their way through the forest, with no real pay off as we just get a few misunderstandings rather than a big confrontation. Chryssie's plan just fails and the Mane 6 make up and try to salvage their retreat. Perhaps if this was a two parter we might have had a face off. Still, I do hope we get to see Chrysalis return in a more exciting story.

18. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

One last time before The Dreaded Hiatus.

I wonder what that cutie mark Chryssy chose for her OC means.

That ever so brief Flutters mane change to Pinkie.

I do wonder why Hasbro showed the animatic for this one at Hascon. It's a mid-season episode. I had previously assumed it'd be the opener or finale.

Is Chryssy losing it without a hive?

Looks like Faklejack's hat is imperfect. I wonder why none of the others are similarly flawed. Their manes are messy, but that's not as super obvious.

How is Pinkie rolling on roses? What about the thorns?

I do like Fakelight's own scheming.

Faklejack for best Fake?

127 hours? A nod to that hiker who got stuck under a boulder?

Twi and Pinkie arguing? Don't they remember what happened last time that happened?

Reverting to wood. I've heard the version in the leaks was slightly longer and slightly meltier. I'm awaiting the mashups with the Indiana Jones face melting scene.

Eyup. Should've been a two parter with a show down and all that. They could've even gone old school and split the 2 parts across the hiatus.