1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 14 - A Matter of Principals

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 28 July 2018.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Air Date: 28th August (Australia), 4th August (Discovery Family)

Synopsis: Discord gets frustrated when Twilight Sparkle leaves Starlight in charge of the School of Friendship, so he does his best to make her new role impossible.

Yay, more early episode weirdness. :p According to Equestria Daily (and thanks to @Mane25 for the heads up!), it looks like this one is airing tonight (UK time, 28th July) in Australia. :eek:

Danishbrony2011 and Mane25 like this.
  2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I managed to get to see this, and I have mixed feelings...

I think Starlight was very good, and she continued her run of being great in S8. In spite of being pushed so hard by Discord (more on that in a minute) she kept her cool until she'd been provoked utterly unbearably. She grew as a character during the episode as well, and Twilight did the right thing in giving her the role. Starlight apologising to Discord was interesting: she was going above and beyond what I think she really needed to do, but that just made me admire her more. Glimmy really is a rather impressive pony now, a world away from the one she once was.

I also really liked the Student Six in this episode -- the interactions of the various pairs were great, and honestly I'd happily watch an episode that was just about this half-dozen. Sandbar could still do with a little more to his character than "surfer dude", but that's a fairly minor consideration. Gallus being embarrassed when he was complimented for paying attention in class was hilarious. :D

I didn't like Discord. He was not just trollish and mischievous this time, he was outright nasty at times in a way he hasn't been for several seasons -- probably not since S4/5. When that bugbear was attacking Yona, even if it was actually nothing but an illusion (we don't know) he was most definitely putting her in fear of her life and I'm not surprised Starlight blew her top. I hope Fluttershy gave Discord a real piece of her mind after the episode ended.

3. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Just watched

I thought the episode was a bit pointless at first, we didn't really need another episode just of Discord causing mischief and it was a bit over the top in places as @Loganberry says. But I do think that it came together in the end, and I could see what they were getting at with Discord just wanting to be included all along - that's not an unrealistic scenario in itself, and it being Discord they had to go a bit over the top with it. So, not a totally wasted episode after all, and I would watch it in a new light a second time now knowing the ending.

Once again, I liked the Student Six in this, and Starlight was good too.

4. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

Why was I never told about this. Anyway, seeing as we are way beyond the 24 hour marker, for the first time I won't be using spoiler tags.

First of all Discord. I'm sorry, you are not reformed. You are just as evil as ever. I felt so sorry for the students being taught by Iron Will, Cranky and a tree. And no. Do not make any jokes about that last sentence. I also think that we can pretty much confirm Discord has killed 2 ponies naw. One being that Mail pony and two being whoever was in that mascot suit. Also factoring in we now know he can manipulate the map. I honestly believe he will turn back to villainy at any moment. Thank Celestia for Fluttershy.

5. Recurrent Trotting

I agree with @Loganberry - Glimmer + the student six were the best thing about this.

Discord didn't work. Most of his antics weren't even tricks, they were just about annoying/scaring the students. Also since Twi entrusted Starlight to the school in order to run it properly it makes no sense for Discord or anyone else to feel left out and therefore Starlight apologising seemed insincere (ie "if I say sorry will you stop ruining everything?") which is actually a pretty bad message reminiscent of Starlight's behaviour in all bottled up when Trixie was being unreasonable where she hid her true feelings in order to appease her friend. Sometimes you do have to be firm and it would've been greatness if after Starlight lost her temper like an OP 'corn, she had apologised for that but then had coolly and reasonably told Discord off and reminded him about being a good draconequus and not rewarded him by appointing him vice-mare (I was totally on the side of the students about that - you might as well appoint the bug-bear as janitor while you're at it :p)

also I think we all need to talk about Starlight's lil pouty face

Candy Yunagi likes this.
  6. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I thought this episode was rather fun. It was fun to see the student six again, and it was interesting to watch them work in pairs in the scavenger hunt.

Starlight was good her too, along with Spike! The number one assistant doing a good job as always. This ep had a lot of cameos, Iron Will and Cranky coming back for lessons, and even the Dragon Sneeze tree.

I'm not sure why Starlight thought having Trixie do a magic show would help teach friendship. As fun it was to see her pull things out of a hat, wouldn't she have been better talking about some friendship stories from her time with Starlight? Also, it was a shame we didn't actually get to see Spitfire teaching. From the looks of it though she is as harsh a trainer as ever.

I do agree that Discord did seem to be slipping back into his villainous ways and being very trollish and mean in this episode. I feel Starlight was justified in banishing from the school in a scene which looked like she flat out murdered him. His ghost even came back afterwards. :eek: I don't think he deserved his vice principal position at all and I hope he got a good chewing out by everyone, particularly Fluttershy, after the episode finished. Also, it is rather scary that he can manipulate the map and make fake missions. I was wondering for a while if the next ep would be the Mane 6 on a big adventure to tie in with this ep. I guess not, which is a shame.

7. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

Chaos in class...

This was a good laugh and had some funny moments. Discord was on form although I do agree with a few of the others on here that he did cross the line especially with Yona. For me the best bit in this was the classroom scene with Trixie as the teacher, unexpectingly pulling Derby out of the hat was brilliant. Discord's nuisance student act was good too. Starlight did well to keep it together for as long as she could and whilst it went on a little too far I'm glad she used her Guidance Councillor attributes to resolve it. Maybe we will have an episode of where the mane 6 went on their freidnship quest whist this was going on?

8. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Yeah, that was slightly underwhelming, and a little bit frustrating in its lack of resolution. After his past couple of appearances, this didn't really seem like Discord as he is now. It stands to reason that he'd get upset over feeling left out, and that he'd over-react in a big way, but he should've realised that literally terrorising creatures is not acceptable by now. Maybe he did still have that kind of spite in him, but he should've been clearly told that's not okay, since he seems to need that kind of directness. Fluttershy probably unleashed her fury on him after, but it would've been nice to see him learning that. Also, I sensed that jealousy was his motivation from the start, and his original changes were unreasonable, though compromise could've worked. Or he could've outright told Twilight how he felt, rather than staging all of this.

Starlight was good, and I think she could cover things if all of the mane six were needed elsewhere. I feel like it would've made more sense if all of her cover teachers had some kind of connection to the mane six, and I'm not sure how she got hold of Spitfire. It's great that the Wonderbolts are close enough to cover each other in such a situation, but the captain? Someone like Misty Fly might have made more sense. Trixie making her class into a magic show all about Trixie is very Trixie, and I did enjoy the irony of her pulling an ursa major out of her hat. It would've been fun to see Maud teach, but it's not that hard to imagine.

The student six were also good, although I still feel like Sandbar and Yona could both use some more development/personality. Gallus is clearly enjoying his studies more than he likes to admit.

Also, twittermites are probably real, unless Discord imagined them as well as Apple Bloom.

Loganberry likes this.
  9. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

I just watched it and genuinely think this is one of the worst episodes of the show. It's been a while since I've watched an episode of any TV show and wanted it to end so badly. I had a bit of a love-hate relationship with reformed Discord, he was fun to watch at times but I prefer him as a villain and this episode cemented that fact for me. He's such a crybaby because of the fact he tries to cause chaos to the students because he got "left out". I felt sorry for Starlight in this episode, she was trying her best to deal with something she doesn't have experienced with and was right to follow how Twilight did her role as principal. I think it would have been better if the episode solely concentrated on the scavenger hunt and a chance for each pair of the student six to interact with each other would have been much more interesting. Or hell, maybe even getting in brand new characters for the substitutes and the students preferring them when the Mane Six come back. It would have been more interesting to me at least.

In conclusion though, it was awful, I prefer Discord as a villain and if Season 9 is the last, I hope we don't see him again in this state. I give a 1.5/10.

10. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

I agree.

11. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I didn't really enjoy this one; it's was rather a slog to get through. The friendship resolution at the end wasn't enough to make up for it. At least Discord had a good showing earlier in the season with The Break Up Break Down. Also I was hoping the mane 6 map mission might lead to a double episode like we got with Games Ponies Play and Just For Sidekicks. Wasn't to be.

The student six are always great. Almost goes without saying, as far as I'm concerned.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  12. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Welp, a bit late to the party, partially because of sourcing issues, laziness, and work being work.

Spoiled more to cut page stretching than anything else.

Spellvenger hunt? Sounds like a unicorn thing.

All 6 get called? That's a big one. I'm betting we never find out what the big deal is.

Spike seems to be taking to his wings rather well.

Gravity is optional? You're starting to sound like Merasmus. "Gravity has offended me, so I have removed it!"

I think this is the first time we've seen Discord testing his limits.

Demanding friendship does sound like a Yak kind of thing to do.

I don't remember Cranky being that much of a jerk.

Dragonsneeze tree? That's oddly specific.

Okay, Spits as a teacher should be good. Same with Maud.

"How do you do, fellow kids?"

And now Bananaphone

Trixie seems to be okay with her bananaphone.

Wasn't quite expecting Starlight to just open fire like that.

I wonder if she could actually do damage to Discord.

Okay, that looks like the bass cannon firing.

So is this Discord's doing or something else? Magical time bomb like those vines?

Nope, there he is.

I'm reminded of Crashervania by Starbomb with Simon Belmont slaying all the monsters just because he felt left out.

13. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Meh, I'm with @Oilyvalves on this one, not a great episode. It has it's moments, Spikes line about Discord being "new to the world of education" was quite good (and depressingly timeless), but they're few and far between.

14. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

I suppose it's time I watched some of these.. :p

A fun romp at Hogwarts school of friendship and magic.

You always know that "What could possibly go wrong?" spells disaster
    Discord decides to be a pain in the backside, okay for sympathetic reasons but he was still a brat
    Hidden Fluttershy bits: "You hired a TREE as a teacher??" and "BEEE MY FRIIIIEEEEENNNDDDDD"
    Cranky out of nowhere, among others

I lost track of all the little references. This was a really fun episode that put out a lot of nods to longstanding fans, not quite to the level of Slice of Life but I'm more than okay with that :p

Bananaphone haha. Is this the first reference to mobile phones on the pony side of the mirror?

High marks from me.

Also is it just me or is the show now My Little Furry :p

CuldeeFell and Blissful690 like this.