1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 17 - The End in Friend

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 10 August 2018 at 3:00pm.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Raridash by Hidden-Cat
    Air Date: 11th August 2018 (Australia) / 18th August (Discovery Family)

Synopsis: Rarity and Rainbow Dash begin to question why they are friends when they can't find anything they both like to do together.

Australia and New Zealand are continuing their trend of being at the forefront of airing new pony episodes, so I figured I should get a thread up. :p

Anyway, this sounds like this might be a nice slice of life type episode. :)

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Interesting team-up, too. I don't think we've had that one since "Rarity Investigates!" back in S5, have we?

I'm a little iffy about the synopsis, though. It sounds like something that would fit better much earlier in their friendship, not eight seasons in. We shall see!

3. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Well stone the crow's another early episode from the land down under. (Seriously what is it with this season and early/leaked episodes?) Anyway we have a rare Dash and Rarity episode written by G M Berrow. So how did this one fair?
    This was a nice solid slice of life episode which as Logan said should been a season two one rather than a season eight. The chemistry with RD and Raity was good and I can see the YouTuber Raritydash enjoying this one. If I had one nitpick it would be I could see what was going to happen at the end a mile away. Overall a nice if unspectacular episode which I place second so far in the second half of the season 7.5/10.

#3 moody magpie, 11 August 2018 at 5:40pm
    Last edited: 11 August 2018 at 9:59pm
  4. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

I agree.

5. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Another early episode? It seems no episode is debuting the day it is meant to this season.

I'm not sure why Twi needed Rarity and Dash to come into her lesson to talk about their friendship since the students already know who they are. Wouldn't talking about what they've done been enough? It was also amusing to see her insist on having the students watch their time together, including the descent into a big fight with her laughable excuses and cover ups.

It's interesting to see Dash and Rarity have a fall out. Usually it's AJ fighting with Rarity, and it seems odd its taken this long to highlight the differences between Dash and Rarity when Rarijack has had so much focus.

Heh, I guess Starlight Glimmer isn't being bored as councillor today. I'd have loved to see her expression when the pair came in and started explaining their issues.

A little book club? A shame Twi wasn't involved... but it is doomed to failure anyway. Interesting to see Rarity's favourite novel mentioned again so soon. Trust her to enjoy all the focus on the clothes in it.

A claw print? Spike obviously stole it and this is obviously a set up... and I'm right. Yay.

Wait... Rainbow Dash can't fly over the bog because of the geysers, but a raft can sail right between them? Dash, you are a Wonderbolt right? How can you not fly through a huge gap like that?

Despite a few flaws, this was another solid episode. The interactions between Rarity and Rainbow Dash, along with fun moments with Twilight and Starlight made this a fun enough episode that the problems didn't drag this down too much.

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  6. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I've been looking forward to this one since I read the synopsis, and even though I haven't seen the last two episodes yet, I made time for this one. Was it worth it?

Yeah, mostly. It wasn't the greatest or deepest thing ever, but it had a typical G. M. Berrow solidity to it. The fact that the whole "theft" was all a set up to get the two of them talking again was very predictable, and as @Robshi mentioned Rainbow Dash not being able to fly over the swamp was a little contrived. Rarity and Rainbow Dash declaring early on that they weren't friends any more was too. I'd have thought that after all they'd been through they wouldn't declare their friendship over that easily. And even if they did feel that way, I'd have thought they'd have been a little more circumspect in what they said in front of the students.

Speaking of the students, they were pretty solid. It gave a nice place to kick off the conflict that the students are questioning R and RD's friendship in a way they've never done themselves. I can honestly buy that. It makes sense to me that R and RD have never really questioned their friendship before, but when they're off together they struggle to find things to do together.

I was interested to see the magical artefacts from Twilight's spell-venger hunt appearing again. (Unless they appeared in the last couple of episodes and I missed it.) Possibly setting them up for a Season finale appearance? I've not read the synopsis for that, so no spoilers.

A paragraph for Starlight Glimmer in her guidance councillor role, if I may. She was really good here. The "read each other's books" thing was a nice idea to try to get them talking again (even if it didn't work). She was great in this episode.

What was also great was once again seeing an episode about a clash between two members of the Mane SIx. Very Season One in style there, and one of the main reasons I like the show in the first place. We haven't had an episode like this since... (checks episode list) ok, since "Non- Complete Clause" earlier this season, but that was rubbish. Unlike that episode, I didn't feel Rarity and Rainbow Dash had to revert to their Season One states to enable the conflict here. For the most part their behaviour here was very believable. So overall, a nice solid episode.

7. Recurrent Trotting

pika! I mean nice combo but it was a shame about the story 7/10

ep had some real drama in it, which was nice to see. I didn't think they'd end the friendship over it ofc but they went pretty darn far D: has been a while since there's been this much friendship tension in an ep.

Tabitha and Ashleigh were great in this ep. Both Rares and Dashie are great at expressing peevishness and anger and they gave us some great lines

in terms of the story though, the conflict felt as forced as the solution (which was literally forced :p ). The buckball vs shopping part of the ep can be added to the list of stories where the conflict requires characters to forget what they know about each other (eg For Whom Sweetie-Belle Tolls) which must be a feature of long-running kiddie series I guess... but it's a shame to see Pony do it. (Some not-as-kiddie cartoons like Steven Universe are ridiculously good at avoiding that). It'd be great to see the conflict be more like Honest Apple where AJ understandably stepped on Rarity's hooves because she thought she was meant to be being honest.

But what really gnarled me was that this was a great opportunity for Dashie-Rares backstory and I didn't get it! How good would it be if the real solution was to remember how they met and got on in the first place? Hoofing through old photos of the first day Dash came to Ponyville and Rares was all 'oh my stars a rough and tumble blue pegasi!' and Dashie was all 'this 'corn is crazy' but Fluttershy got them to see past their differences.

:D that was so silly

Robshi and CuldeeFell like this.
  8. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

On second thoughts...
    I think the idea there was supposed to be that the raft was big and heavy enough to go straight over the geysers, and it didn't matter if it got hit by one. Not that it looked particularly solid mind you.

9. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I figured that was what the writer intended, but the animators should've put more geysers in the swamp instead of letting the raft sail right between two of them.

CuldeeFell likes this.