1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 18 - Yakity-Sax

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 17 July 2018.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Air date:
    Friday 20 July 2018

Writers: the Fox Brothers

Synopsis: "Pinkie Pie has a new hobby that she absolutely loves - playing the Zenithrash; when her friends discourage her from playing due to her lack of skill, it causes a series of events leading to Pinkie Pie possibly leaving Ponyville forever."

Well, this is a break from the norm: it seems we're likely to be getting an episode this Friday! The strong hints are that this will be as part of Discovery Family's "Summer Surprises" season. We can't be 100% sure until it actually happens, but it does look likely, so I thought it best to put up a thread for it now. The synopsis (from Zap2it, which is usually reliable) is a bit odd: it reads more like something we might have seen in the early days of the show. Still, we'll see soon, I guess. Discussion go!

Please use spoiler-cuts until 24 hours after the episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you.

Edit: This episode was originally trailed as episode 14. It seems it's actually an early airing of episode 18, hence the out-of-order numbering.

#1 Loganberry, 17 July 2018
    Last edited: 21 July 2018
  2. sten whik

sten whik Space

Eh? Pace felt a little like an S1 episode and there was a couple of good jokes at least 6/10

3. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

It was fairly good, I guess...

I kinda wanted to like it more than I did. I can't say there was much wrong with it as such, though. I seem to remember Pinkie plying ten different instruments simultianously really well, both in Swarm of the Century and Magic Duel, which seems like a slighty continuity error. That said, she probably learned to play them from a young age at her family's rock farm, as a necessary defense against parasprites. She didn't seem to know what she was doing with that guitar in Honest Apple, either, so maybe there is an explanation. I feel like the conflict and resolution felt like something from season 4 or 5, rather than 1 or 2.

This was probably the most extreme example of Pinkie's sensitivity to criticism and rejection, and I'm actually thinking it's pretty out of control at this point. It's also far more realistic than Party of One, perhaps unsettlingly so. I can somewhat sympathise, since I wouldn't be totally miserable, but I think it would feel a little empty if I could never pick up my guitar again. and I do kinda know that feeling of "I'll never sound like that!" I feel like a better resolution would've been Pinkie learning how to play it properly from one of the Yaks, since that would've been better for her, as well as everypony else.

It's nice to see that the Yaks do have a sense of music, and they don't just smash everything all the time. I'm still not a massive fan, but I feel like they got more development here than in the whole series up until this point. I also think Yona has a lot of potential in thst regard, which hasn't reaally been fulfilled yet. It's nice to see Pinkie's connection with the Yaks strengthened, as well. Oh, and I did appreciate Maud's unexpected appearance. I think she really found Pinkie leaving to be regretable, she just didn't show it.

Maybe needs a rewatch, to see if that changes how I feel about it.

Danishbrony2011 and DerpyWhooves like this.
  4. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

It's like taken out of my old Pinkie Pie fimfics.

5. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

Yakity-Sax

Pinkamena's back

Poor Pinkie. I can relate to that deflated feeling where you can only see that one fault and not the good things. Lucky that she has good friends that can see what she needs. Eventually!

What was that instrument called? A uridiphone?

Bit disappointed that Yakety-Sax wasn't used in the episode. Would have been a nice callback to S1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 DerpyWhooves, 20 July 2018
    Last edited: 20 July 2018
  6. Recurrent Trotting

not unwatchable but only just enough to not call this a dud 5/10

we get spoiled by pony eps that don't talk down to kiddies by making everything too obvious and one-note. This ep was all a) the Pink one likes to do X but she is no good at it; b) pony friends try to be supportive but fail; c) if the Pink one likes to X then friends should support her. The problem that caused the Mane 6 to fail to be supportive was ducked and did not link to the resolution. I get the impression a lot of current and older kiddie shows are like this, but pony is only a thing because it rarely gives overly simplified kiddie fare like this. I agree it feels quite S1 but this ep reminded me also of previous gens of pony. This ep painted Pinks as not caring about anything so long as she can have fun (like this from Three's a Crowd)

but despite that I giggled at the fail playing montages and general interactions between the Mane 5 and Pinkie as well as Maud; also I appreciated the montage music.

7. Loganberry

Apparently this is officially episode 18, in spite of airing just after E14, so I've changed the thread title. It seems this episode should be considered an "official early airing" -- whether it'll be shown again later in the summer, I don't know. We'll see. The next episode to air will be E14. Gah, why can't scheduling for this series ever be simple?! :rolleyes:

Danishbrony2011 and DerpyWhooves like this.
  8. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I forgot to watch it yesterday, but that problem has been resolved now.

Thought it was a decent episode. The extent that Pinkie was upset was quite extreme, but actually I think it was quite realistic - sometimes something seemingly small like that can really upset someone, and I think people can relate to that.

Apart from that, got a few laughs from this episode as well. It was good all in all.

CuldeeFell and DerpyWhooves like this.
  9. Loganberry

Mixed feelings...

As has been said, in several ways this episode felt like a throwback to earlier, simpler times -- before "Twilight's Kingdom" and the advent of Starlight changed so much. I enjoyed it from that point of view, Mane Six focus, (mostly) Ponyville setting and all. And Mane25's point about small things sometimes really getting to people does help to explain Pinkie Pie coming across as so obsessive about one little thing. I didn't expect Pinkie to leave for Yakyakistan, but actually I think that worked better than her simply going home to the rock farm. (Maud's cameo was very well judged, too, allowing space to speculate about her real emotions.)

The big problem for me was the ending. As with "P.P.O.V.", another Fox Brothers episode, I felt the ending was poor. We'd seen earlier in the ep that Pinkie was genuinely hurting/upsetting other Ponyvillians, not least Fluttershy's critters. As such, the "Hey, Pinkie, if you like it you should just carry on doing it" moral really didn't sit right with me. Even by the standards of a TV-Y show, it's too simplistic, seeming to justify Pinkie upsetting ponies -- something she herself doesn't like. I'd much have preferred a moral about compromise, give-and-take, etc. There's even a canon way out: the "Bubble of Silence" spell Twilight used to talk to Moondancer in the library in "Amending Fences". That would be ideal for Pinkie to practice in.

So, nearly a really nice, old-fashioned episode, badly let down by a moral that seemed to elevate the Mane Six's feelings over everyone else in Ponyville.

10. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I really enjoyed this one.

It felt to me like a proper old school episode of Pony, Mane Six focus, Ponyville setting and all. There were a couple of Series Eight-isms, the reference to Celestia's acting and Maud's brief appearance, but they didn't impinge on the Series One style feel of it. The pacing, for me, was very well judged. Every scene was allowed to breath while the story kept moving at a fair pace, with no delaying and waiting for things to happen.

I hadn't considered Logan's point about Pinkie disturbing others, but it's a fair one. I guess the moral is they shouldn't have told her not to play because she was no good, but because she needed some consideration for others (something Pinkie Pie's a bit oblivious to at times). All she needed to do was learn when her playing wasn't appropriate.

I guess in the end this episode was the television equivalent of comfort food for me. It didn't do anything new, or push any boundaries, but it was the show sticking to what it does best and doing it well.

11. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Gotta love it when 18 airs immediately after 13 and early in more ways than one.

ActionShy is a rare sight.

Are those Equestrian bagpipes? Do they sound better in capable hooves?

Ah, a yak instrument. That explains it.

"Applesolutely"

Either Pinkie has been improving or I've grown accustomed to it. The apples clearly have not.

Is that an instrument or is it Pinkie's waifu/dakimakura?

I do think jumping immediately to giving up was a bit of an extreme reaction.

Pinkamena returns. Is she gonna return to Creepy Town?

Does Pinkamena emit anti-party particles? Anti-partyicals? Why else would those balloons just pop?

Oh look, Pinkamena and Dash making cupcakes.

Oh geez, another holiday for Ponyville. Twilight really ought to be a little more careful about using princess powers to declare holidays.

Still not used to Spike's wings.

Eyup, Pinkie has a waifu.

Hey, it's the return of the hot air balloon. Don't think we've seen that in a while.

Pinkie murdering that thing in front of the Yaks just sounds like a recipe for an international incident.

I think this may be another poorly presented lesson. There was no reason for Pinkie to give up on it, but she did need to minimize the impact of her poor playing on others.

12. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

So is the hiatus over now? Or is this just an early showing of an episode for a summer special? It does seem odd they've shown Episode 18 right after 13.

Pinkie did seem to getting rather intimate with her new instrument. She does realise it isn't a body pillow, right? I like how she was just waiting for Twilight to finish speaking so she could practice more.

"Apple-solutely." I think Applejack has been influencing Rarity a bit.

Pinkamena returns. The expression Dash made on her face was quite creepy, and I didn't realise the reference to an infamous fanfic until I saw the comments here!

I like how the Mane 6 and Spike were trying to get a straight answer from Gummy. It seems he only communicates in eyeball licks.

"Maud, can I ask you a question?"
    "You just did."
    Nice to see Maud again being as dry and deadpan as ever.

This episode was pretty fun, but nothing special. It was nice to see some Pinkie Pie silliness, although I agree the moral could have been handled better. They could have focused it on Pinkie's disruptiveness and just had her be more considerate to other ponies, since that was the core problem to begin with. Still, this was enjoyable.

13. Loganberry

Right, no need for spoiler tags any more. :)

Interesting that the instrument seems to have been renamed from "zenithrash" (as used in Zap2it's description) before airing. I wonder why? Maybe they just thought "yovidaphone" (sp?) sounded funnier.

Oh, and given the name of the episode, I'm a little disappointed we didn't get the Benny Hill-style instrumental we had a couple of times in S1. Would have fitted in nicely with the old-fashioned feel of the ep.
    As far as I understand it, both. This is an early showing, but there'll also be episodes resuming on Discovery Family in early August -- and possibly one showing in Australia next Sunday.

Danishbrony2011 and Robshi like this.
  14. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Ok am I only one who thought of South Park when Pinkie was bouncing on her instrument at Sweet Apple Acres?

15. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I had really good fun with this one :). I thought there was some well-judged slapstick comedy (particularly Applejack's segments), mixed in with some more hear-felt moments. Like others I also got the 'comfy' feeling of an early-series-style episode. The story kept going in directions I wasn't expecting, which was a nice change of pace.

I'm really happy to see Pinkamena officially return after all this time. When was the last time; surely it wasn't the season 3 finale?

CuldeeFell likes this.
  16. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Just saw it. It was okay, not the worst MLP episode and as much as I hate to say it, I did like seeing Pinkie depressed and I thought entertaining (not in a sadistic way I should add) and I like the brief moment when she compares herself to others as that's something I can definitely relate to. There were some funny moments I liked as well, the bit where the rest of the Mane Six asking Maud "can I ask you a question" was hilarious! Aside from that, not much I can say really. Safe episode and I give it a 6/10

Oilyvalves likes this.
  17. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Wow, I'm behind on my episode thoughts... :p

I did watch this one soon after it came out, but it was one of those I wanted to wait a bit before writing anything about it. I gave it another watch earlier today, but I don't really have too much to say. This episode does have some good entertaining bits, but I don't think the moral came across particularly well.