1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 19 - Road to Friendship

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 15 August 2018.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Air Date: 18th August 2018 (Australia/NZ) / 1st September 2018 (Discovery Family)

Synopsis: When Trixie is invited to bring her magic show to the far off land of Saddle Arabia, she can think of nopony better to bring along than her great and powerful assistant, Starlight-but, not all friends are meant to travel together.

2. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

This inlcudes:

Trixie and Starlight singing the jazzy On the Road to Friendship.

3. Recurrent Trotting

great fun :D one of my fave first watches this season 9/10

Kathleen Barr and Kelly Sheridan had a field day with this! personal fave was probably Kathleen's Trixie sleep-talking

the story was pretty obvious but the performance still built tension and I loved the message when Starlight covered the ground they'd covered together in the song. also we haven't really had travelling gripes covered on the show and it was fun to see the pony take on them :p

4. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

Wow Starlight.

I have to say, trading your best friends home is possibly, the worst thing you have ever done. And in some regards I am glad. Trixie is right. When she is out travelling all she has is her wagon. It means the world to her and to see her continuously defend it really adds a new depth to her character. Starlight was a bit of fun. I especially loved the fact she snored in order to convince the village that bear was attacking, but Trixie was just such a great character here. I believe this truly is her best episode to date.

Danishbrony2011 and Blissful690 like this.
  5. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Whoa... two early episodes at once? This season is really flying by.

I think Trixie might want to pick her volunteers better. I don't think it's a good idea to stuff old ponies into a small trunk.

I did enjoy Starlight and Trixie's awkward reaction to the Sunshine dance.

There was a lot of moments between these two friends too. Starlight must really be a bad snorer if she disturbed her whole village with it. Trixie's solution of a gag was funny to see too, and then she sleep performs. I guess they've never heard of those nasal strips that are supposed to help snoring. I also liked the Ursa Major reference later.

Wow Starlight, you gave away Trixie's caravan without asking her? I know you could make some bad decisions but sheesh.

When Trixie and Starlight tried to convince the Saddle Arabian of their friendship, I did wonder if they'd do their own rendition of the Sunshine dance. Instead we got a hilariously awkward improvised chant.

Overall, this was a really enjoyable episode and this double dose of early episodes has been very entertaining. I think the latter half of Season 8 has been stronger than the first, or at least more consistent.

6. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Onward as I start a minimarathon to catch up on at least the Australian releases.

I wonder if Granny Smith volunteered or got railroaded into it.

Of course Cadance would be the one to note Starlight and Trixie have chemistry.

"Miss Powerful" sounds like a Power Ponies name.

Moonwalking Trixie was a bit unexpected.

Trixie, really? Laying like that? Tempting Starlight?

Famous collection of campfire spices?

I was expecting a song along these lines. Just not sure I ever wanted a Starlight/Trixie duet.

So is that blue pony stalking them?

And won't the lack of room at an inn offset the falafel splurge?

I think I need to have a snore off with Starlight. Not sure about bear level, but I have been described as a two stroke engine.

Isn't this old Trixie showing through with the cattiness?

Why didn't they camp out the previous night?

I wonder why that stallion wanted that wagon. The caravan seems so much better.

I would also say the road to friendship is better than the road to Deliverance.

But are they going to keep the chant?

7. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I had quite a bit of fun with this one.

It's nice to see Cadence and Flurry again, and even nicer to see the "secret" handshake from the end of season 2 make another appearance. This was another episode practically full of continuity, from the dangerous places we've seen before to Trixie performing in her sleep. I'm not sure if they were poking fun at the mane six with the song, or if they actaully couldn't resist, but I did like it. It was reminiscnt of Apples to the Core, though I might prefer this one. I'd have to hear it again. I quite liked those two delivery ponies, as well, even though we only saw them briefly.

Trixie and Staright bickering was fun. And quite realistic in that it started out subtle and slowly descended into an outright argument. I'm not quite sure what to make of the Saddle Arabian pony, either. He could've just been making his own way back home, but his determination to get Trixie's caravan implies a somewhat obsessive fan. I don't think Starlight really knew what she was doing in trading it, either. Trixie only explained how much it meant to her to the unicorn stallion, not to Starlight. She honestly thought she was doing Trixie a favour by getting her a better caravan, possibly for the future as well as for the tour. I was reminded of the pony in Manehatten who swindled Pinkie out of her party cannon. Where's Maud when you need her?

I intially thought their magic show was redundant, thinking it was common knowledge that unicorns can teleport themselves and each other around. But then it occurred to me that while all adult unicorns seem to be capable of lifting things and lighting their horns up, not many seem to be capable of teleportation, which implies that it's difficult. I don't think we've ever seen Rarity do it, for instance. Twilight chose to test Sarlight on it amongst other things in season 6, and Trixie had quite a disastrous firt attempt at teleportation in season 7. So if most ponies don't see that everyday, it makes at least a bit more sense. I'd like to think Trixie's been practicing hard enough to be able to do it herself, but Starlight might still be the horn behind it.

I have to wonder who covered for Starlight a counsellor. Probably either Spike or the CMC. Also, Starlight snores like an Ursa Major.

Blissful690 likes this.
  8. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Just got round to watching this one, and it's a hit for me. :)

Certainly the most enjoyable episode for me since 'The Hearth's Warming Club'. Trixie and Starlight were great, Cadence and Flurry's appearance was great, the song was pretty good. Some funny bits and some true drama in there. Yeah, this one really made me smile. Hopefully this is a sign that the latter part of the season is on an upwards trajectory.

About the song; normally I don't like overly complicated pieces with lots of 'spoken' lines mixed in. But for whatever reason, We're Friendship Bound didn't bother me. The bouncy 'big band' style was super fun to listen to, and Trixie and Starlight's voices work so well together. Just sounded like 2 gals having a blast :D. This one's easily my most re-listenable song of the season so far.

Bridle Timeout and Blissful690 like this.
  9. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Well out of the spoiler blackout now, so... I really enjoyed this one. It wasn't especially deep, but it was a lot of fun. Starlight and Trixie go together so well and I love their occasionally bumpy friendship. The song was excellent, including in how well it paid homage to its inspiration -- the song from Road to Morocco from 1942. The little spoken sections in the MLP version, the fourth-wall leaning, the comments about the future of the franchise... they're all in the original version. The episode was a tad slow right at the end, but otherwise it was very well paced and the road-movie setup meant constantly changing scenery. All in all, a very satisfying episode, and probably in my top three up to this point in S8. :)

10. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I was a bit sceptical about the premise at first, but once the song started I got the feeling that this was going to be a fun episode and it was. One thing I didn't get was the whole deal with the caravan and why Trixie was so attached to hers, because it seemed that trading it would have solved all their problems... maybe I missed some dialogue when I wasn't paying attention. Fun episode, but I don't think I'd rate it in the top tier though, maybe just behind that.

Danishbrony2011 and Blissful690 like this.
  11. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

This really brought the best out of the personalities of Starlight and Trixie, it had the sarcasm we would expect from these two in a kerfuffle. OK I am still not overly joyful at the lack of imagination of these other places, and this ones been in the show for a while now. Saddle Arabia? Honestly, can't we do better than this stereotypical nonesense? I mean, the show is built on originality and has some imaginative palces already closer to Ponyville, I just cannot be doing with the whole 'pony add-on to a human place' thing.

The song was good, proper road trip stuff there. A lot of it was predictable, like the last rooms gone in the que, but enjoyable. For me though, despite the fact that really this felt like there was no real problem solved, since the tour didn't work out, I actually quite like that in the fact it gives the lesson that sometimes it is good to try just to see how it goes, even if it doesn't work out, better than to have never known and be questioning doubt. As for that cammel-y pony following them around, he was getting on my nerves quite frankly, and I got the impression he was the only fan in Saddle Arabia, and in fact he just made out there were fans just to get them there for himself or something like that.

Overall fun episode and perhaps a break from all the goings on at School of Friendship so a good bit of variety.

Danishbrony2011 and CuldeeFell like this.
  12. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

This one was a lot of fun and I've been listening to the song on repeat a lot since I heard it. The Saddle Arrabian did seem a bit obsessed by them, but some fans are like that. All the Trix/Glim dialogue was a blast, the episode leaned in to it and wrung a whole lot of fun out of it.

Blissful690 likes this.