1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 20 - The Washouts

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 15 August 2018.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Air Date: 19th August 2018 (Australia/NZ) / 8th September 2018 (Discovery Family)

Synopsis: When Scootaloo becomes enamored with The Washouts, a touring group of stunt ponies, Rainbow Dash is concerned for her safety and worries that Scoot's days as her number one fan are over.

2. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

In the beginning.
    As I watched the French dub episode last night I thought it was Mare do Well.

3. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

It occurs to me that it would be pretty hard to enjoy this episode if...

You’re in a full body wing and hoof cast, drinking through a straw! :p

Seriously though, I really liked this one. :)

I liked how this episode approached Scootaloo’s admiration of The Washouts. She can’t fly, so the Wonderbolts are unobtainable for her, but she could theoretically perform with The Washouts. I also liked how Scoots wanted to challenge herself and push her limits.

It was also interesting to see Lightning Dust again, and was good to see she turned her expulsion from the Wonderbolts into a positive thing. Though what was she thinking pressuring poor Scoots when she was having second thoughts about the stunt? :-/

I also liked how the episode addressed Rainbow’s feelings as both concern for Scootaloo’s safety and also personal insecurity that she might not be her “biggest fan” anymore.

I liked Twilight’s comment about how Scootaloo might not be the only one who gets hurt if she joins the Washouts. That was really to the point. :)

I liked Twi’s flying conversation with Dash too, and it was also cute how she was trying to hide the fact she became a fan of the Washouts from Rainbow. :p

Lot’s of adorable Scoota-love too. :D Particularly when she was riding on Rainbow’s back and when Twi was holding her so she could eavesdrop on her fanclub. :)

I also liked when Short Fuse got upset about his sandwich. :p

But yeah, really good episode. :)

4. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

This was a really fun episode.

Ooh, so Lightning Dust comes back! Nice to see doing well for herself after being kicked out of the Wonderbolts. It doesn't look like she's learned anything from that experience though, she's still as reckless as ever. Also, Short Fuse reminds me of Anger from Inside Out, especially with his colour scheme and hair style. I also loved the name of the Crushinating Jaws of Smashalot (Patent Pending).

It was interesting to see Dash progress from worrying over her ego with Scootaloo not solely idolising her to genuinely worrying about Scoot's safety.

Well la de doodle da! I loved Spitfire's rant of a warning to Scootaloo. That was the highlight of the episode for me. Apparently it was a reference to something but I'm not sure what.

I wonder what happened to Lightning Dust after she got snagged by that rope and flew away Team Rocket style. Did she end up in a full body wing and hoof cast, drinking through a straw?

Candy Yunagi likes this.
  5. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

This season just got so much better with this. It felt like something out of 3 seasons ago when this was at it's peak in my opinion. The comedy was spot on, it had an emotional side and some great action sequences.

This brought fresh air to what I felt was a stale few episodes in the season.

The personalities of the Washouts were brilliant. Short Fuse was hilarious "I have anger issues". The Washout's action sequences were great, they really show the best with this animation style and why it works so well for the series. Full credit to Spitfire, her moment convincing Scootaloo to not join the Washouts was brilliant "through a straw!" to the point she is going senile when she is telling the story. It felt like everyone had the right amount of time and decent dialogue. Pinkie Pie was not over the top and had some good laughs, AJ's moment with the bananna joke was good. Twilight had some good moments too, like as the Princess of Friendship she should not really condone the Washouts but secretly she found it entertaining and started putting up posters. I liked Scootaloo's moment about not being able to fly and how that prevents her from being a Wonderbolt, really felt emotional and it was a great ending that Scootaloo gets her own appreciation for being so talented in her own right.

Well done to them on this, one of the best I've seen this season.

6. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Saw some screenshots from this one. Let's see if the episode is as interesting as the shots made me think it was.

The Washouts do have a nice color scheme.

Did Scoots really not expect Dash to listen in on her fanclub?

They do have some sweet art for their materials. Maybe the 'Bolts should consult their designer.

Certainly flashier than the 'Bolts.

If Lightning Dust is leader, I wonder if any of them are actually ex-Wonderbolts. There's kind of a difference between washing out of the academy and being a proper 'Bolt.

Come on, Scoots, you really shouldn't be doing something that dangerous. You're a filly.

Spits seemed a little reserved in her ranting.

I dunno. This thing with Scoots seems like Twi really ought to have stepped in and put her hoof down. She is a princess, afterall, and is supposed to protect her subjects. Clearly not a thing a filly ought to be doing.

I didn't write much, but I did rather enjoy this one. I also wonder if Scoots' comment about never flying was meant to settle the "will she or won't she" about the whole thing.

7. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Loved this one, but can't really pinpoint as to why...

I think the whole idea of the episode being about a pony as young as Scootaloo having a new interest is really good, and it works perfectly for her as Dash is the kind of mare who would be worried about something relatively minor like that. I do think as well though that Dash shouldn't be overprotective of Scootaloo, even if she means well she shouldn't force Scoots to be exactly like her.

The Washouts themselves are great though. The actual stunts they do are very entertaining to watch and they have a really nice uniform as well as other people have mentioned. The whole idea though is the best thing about them and I loved seeing Dusty again! I've wanted to for ages and up to now have been disappointed she hasn't come back. I have to admit for ages I wanted to see her reform as I do think she's a good mare, just very reckless but her characterisation in this episode works perfectly and made me realise she shouldn't be. Her banter with Rainbow Dash as well is brilliant to see as even though she's not bitter, Dashie still is and I loved seeing that. I do think that Lightning Dust is not trying to hurt anypony and just doesn't realise the potential consequences of her own actions.

Lastly, and probably my favourite thing about this episode is that Scootaloo realising she can't be "the best of the best" due to her disabilities is great character development, but heartbreaking for Rainbow Dash. I just feel emphasising with both of them, and although as dark as it is, it is good to see Scoots beware aware of her issues even if Dash doesn't want to believe it in the way that Scootaloo is limited.

In the end though, great episode and probably the best of Season 8! I give it a 9/10. The second half has been much better so far.

Blissful690 likes this.
  8. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I had looked forward to this one.

I kinda felt like Scoot was a little harsh at the beginning. She was excited, but she basically was abruptly telling Dash she wasn't cool. On the other hoof, Rainbow was quite pushy at times; her concern was completely understandable, but expecting Scootaloo to follow in her hoofsteps was a bit much. She may have had something of a point about the Washouts being copying the Wonderbolt show setup, but that makes much more sense after the reveal. I hadn't been spoiled at all, but I realised it might be Lightning Dust partway through the show, with the hints of disregard for safety. Maybe it would've had more of an impact if they'd been an actual group of Shadowbolts, but I guess Lighhtning is just more of a rebel than a villian.

I found it interesting that they did get along for a while, before the matter of Scootaloo's safety drove them apart again. In terms of personality, they're still pretty similar, but they still can't get past that difference in beliefs. I do have mixed feelings about the washouts themselves. It's great that they found their own way to make it big without the more "manestream" Wonderbolts, but that they, or at least Lightning Dust, were willing to risk a young teenager's safety, even against her will in the end, for the sake of a show is really bad. If she carries on like this, she really could end up IN A FULL BODY WING AND HOOF CAST, DRINKING THROUGH A STRAW!

I do have to wonder if Spitfire was speaking from personal experience, or if that's the standard scare tactic for safety talks. I actully did wonder if Scootaloo being unable to fly would be mentioned. At this point, it seems more and more likely to actually be a disability rather than delayed development. I really hope she finds fulfilment in something. Maybe she could take her scootering professional someday, or get into swimming or some other kind of water sports to give her that thrill she wishes flying could.

We may not have seen him, but it sounds like Iron Will has yet another new job.

Robshi and Blissful690 like this.
  9. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I'll put this is spoiler tags for people hoping to watch the Discovery Family version today

I have to concede that this type of episode is just not my cup of tea; I never got in to the Wonderbolts storyline and the Washouts are just... even less likeable as characters to me. But that's just me, and I could see the quality of the episode underneath even if it's not my favourite sort.

I did enjoy seeing more Scootaloo/Rainbow Dash development. I don't know about anypony else but the very start had me confused and double checking whether I hadn't started Mare do Well instead... the two openings are extremely similar. Nice nod to the past anyway, it's interesting to compare those two scenes.

10. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I'm rather glad I didn't get spoiled on this one.

When I read the title I thought the episode would be about a monsoon or something :p.

A lot of things to process as I've just finished my first viewing, but this was really great. Rainbow and Scoot at their best, I couldn't ask for much more.

My jaw hit the floor when I recognised Lightning Dust's tail and coat colour! Never thought they'd get round to bringing her back.

Blissful690 and CuldeeFell like this.
  11. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

The Washouts

I wasn't expecting to see Lightning Dust back (I wasn't spoiled this time), but honestly, as fun as it is to see old characters again this might as well have been a different pony given how little they used the Dust/ Dash relationship that was built up last time. I'm not averse to nostalgia, and it didn't not make sense for it to be Lightning Dust, but her return felt a little like they were doing it for the sake of it.

Still, that's not really a problem and the Scoots/ Dash stuff (one of the best developed relationships in the whole show) was pretty good. It made sense for Scoots to want to be asserting her independence from her idol. All that stuff (including the reverse fanclub at the end) was very nicely done.

It seems there's little to no safety regulations in Equestria though. Or at least none that the Washouts are paying attention to anyway. And you'd have thought they were big enough to be attracting the authorities attention. :p

Twilight looking guilty with her Washouts merchandise was cute and funny. :)

Blissful690 likes this.
  12. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I saw this a while back but forgot to comment here, so in brief: I really enjoyed this one, with a couple of reservations. I'm a sucker for Scootalove, which in the end this was. I also thought the return of Lightning Dust was fun, though (one of those reservations) it's clear from "Parental Glideance" last year that Scoot does already know who Dusty is. I wish there'd been a little more of the mostly good-natured banter between them that they had early on. There was a lot of action in the episode, and some excellent animation as well. My favourite thing about this ep was the way it showed us a slightly older Scootaloo -- she's the equivalent of a human teenager now, and so her behaviour and attitude made sense. I suppose this was (in some ways) her version of "Forever Filly". Oh, the other reservation? I thought Twilight and co should have stepped in before the last trick. Okay, they thought at the time that Scoot was happy with doing it, but even so. A parent of a 13yo doesn't have the right to be blasé if they're risking their life like that. All in all, though, a very good ep and one that I enjoyed even more on second viewing. :)

Blissful690 likes this.