1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 21 - A Rockhoof and a Hard Place

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 25 August 2018.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Rockhoof by PoownDraww
    Air Date:
    15th August (France)
    22nd August (Denmark, Norway and Sweden)
    25th August (Australia)
    15th September (Discovery Family)

Written by: Kaita Mpambara

Synopsis: When Rockhoof, one of the Pillars of Old Equestria, has trouble fitting into the modern world, Twilight Sparkle and her friends try to help him find a new purpose.

I haven't watched the episode yet, but it was written by the same person who wrote "Horse Play", so I'm quite looking forward to this one. :D

2. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

I'm still not convinced by the Pillars thing and for me it doesn't work but that aside I enjoyed Rockhoof's experiences in different jobs and Yona's role in this.

So we're back with the pillars again, OK, I've never really liked this but here we are so I might as well watch it.

To be honest just going away from the whole ancient character thing, I actually enjoyed Rockhoof generally here, great to see him trying to fit in and find his place. The way he came across was spot on in having a heart of gold and just accidentially causing chaos. I enjoyed the sequence where he is working in dfferent jobs and it not working out, the mail scene was a good laugh. I too enjoyed his antics in the school and throwing the students out with the shovell was a humorous scene. As for the toruing about with other Pillars, that I didn't care for as such. My final fav bit in this was Yona and her being so supportive of Rockhoof in his time of need. I almost felt he should live with the Yaks and be of use in their village 'smashing' whilst visiting all over Equestria telling stories.

Overall nice watch and had some good moments here and there.

3. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

I also liked Yona's role.

4. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

If there's a Rockhoof episode, can we have a Flash Magnus one, too?

Carefully preserve history? You've got Berry Punch trotting around.

Aww, I wanted to hear the tale.

There it goes, and there it stopped. I really want this tale.

At least Rockhoof is ready to deal with anything that comes up.

I'm a bit reminded of the TNG episode "Relics" where Scotty is discovered to have been in transporter stasis for a while and alive and just gets in the way a bit more than he intends.

Hee, Flash Magnus. Has he even missed a beat with military training?

Somnambula did say he was relaxed.

Aww, I really wanted to see him succeed at the navy.

Are they finally gonna put him in as a history teacher?

And back to the story.

And that's why he's a legend. Creating constellations with sheer strength.

5. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

So, this one happened, and is good.

I remember back when in Shadow Play the fans were questioning how the hero 6 seem so accepting to their new environment. And whilst it has been rather glossed over in this episode with almost all of them adapting very well (seriously, an book about how you were reformed, why has no other reformed villain done that), with Rockhoof it does make sense as to how he would adapt. Equestria is technically an industrialised society and someone of his strength just isn't needed that much. Not to mention the fact with rivalries between other species at an all time low, (for the moment), things will just change.

Yona again proves why she is my favourite of the young 6. With the fact she brought Rockhoof her essay personally it really just makes the episode sweeter. My only problem is with the ending. I thought that Twilight's lesson plan about writing an essay on heroism was intentional to convince Rockhoof that he is still relevant. The fact that it wasn't implies that Twilight would turn Rockhoof to stone without a second thought (until she could think of an actual plan of course) really turns me the wrong way. It does almost ruin the episode for me it has to be said.

6. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Ach, another enjoyable ep!

Whoa, Spike and Smolder should probably move their flame breath contest outside somewhere. I'm surprised the school wasn't on fire given how it was flaming out of the window.

I'm amazed no one thought to try having Rockhoof work on Applejack's farm. I'm sure his strength could've been put to good use there. I guess Big Mac would have felt redundant or something.

I got a laugh out of Rockhoof falling asleep during the meditation session with Sonambula. It was also interesting seeing ponies with crossed legs. I doubt actual horses could pull that pose off.

It was nice to see Yona inspiring Rockhoof at the end. It did make me wonder if he would have been best moving in with the Yaks. He is apt at smashing things after all.

This was another fun ep, and the second half of this season is looking to be a lot better than the first. I hope this consistent good quality of eps continues.

CuldeeFell and Blissful690 like this.
  7. Recurrent Trotting

solid ep but overshadowed by the recent slew of amazing eps 7/10
    the good
    Matt Cowlrick did a great job on the voice :D so Scottish and manly :3

the student 6 were involved and the interaction between him and Yona was sweet

the meh
    the story didn't quite work. Trying to cover characters trying to fit in after a 1000 year absence is a step too far for pony. That is full on sci fi stuff. Also Rockhoof isn't a familiar enough character to do it with anyway. It happened with Luna ofc but was totally glossed over. Finally, Rockhoof the story-teller doesn't even fit in with the established lore for his character. He's all about striving. I'm sure he should be some sort of epic engineer/road-builder or something. The talents he tried out made literally zero sense (teaching?, navigation?).

8. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

A Rockhoof and a Hard Place

I'm finally catching up with these eps. :p

They managed to fit a lot into this episode. I was glad they used to show us what all the pillars are doing in modern Equestria, and not just Rockhoof (which I thought would be the case at first). I'm also glad they used the time to develop the students a bit more. Yona was great, but Gallus stole the show for me with his "he smashes things like a Yak" line.

Agreed with @Robshi that the fire breathing contest did look like it was going to set the school alight, and I felt a bit sorry for Rockhoof being told off for trying to evacuate the building and make sure everyone was safe. Maybe Twilight knows the school's made of non-flammable crystal. On the subject of feeling sorry for Rockhoof I feel he got a slightly raw deal here; some of the jobs they chose for him were things he was obviously unsuited for (spa pony?!). Also, forgetting that the stars are going to have moved after a thousand years (which I thought was quite a neat bit of writing) is the sort of mistake you only make once. His inadequacy was slightly contrived.

Just like Trixie preparing to throw herself into the jaws of a manticore in "No Second Prances" there was a definite suicidal vibe coming off Rockhoof's request to be turned into a statue. That was really quite a dark place for the episode to go to. I expect kids will be fine with it, but it's darker than I'd have expected them to go.

There was a return to some old school style self awareness here which I liked. Twilight's line about the Hippogriffs "just liking cruises" was good, but her shrug after Spike asks if she can appoint Rockhoof "Keeper of Tales" was great. :D

One final thing. "Coltic". It's been too long since we've had a good pony pun like that. In conclusion then, a bit contrived but with some good bits along the way.

Robshi and Blissful690 like this.
  9. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Better than I expected.

I was afraid the whole episode would be like the first quarter, but it got better and better as it went along. Rockhoof was probably my least favourite pillar with my least favourite legend, but he had a good showing here. I found Gallus' unimpressed face while applauding him amusing, and I like that he still has a bit of attitude like that. I felt suspicious straight away about the story of fighting an Ursa Major, especially after the last time someone told a story like that. If I heard correctly, it was exaggerated, but he told it for much better reasons than Trixie the first time.

It was nice to see where the other pillars are, and what they're doing. I have to wonder if Flash Magnus has Shining Armour's old job, or if that's a different position. And I can't help thinking that Meadowbrook and Zecora could probably cure anything if they worked together. I thought it was really quite clever that the positions of the constellations would've changed, but I think the hippogriff was a bit harsh to dismiss him just for that. I did get some pretty dark undertones from his request to be turned to stone, and my first thought was that the elements probably wouldn't do that, based on what happened at the end of The Mean Six. If they can reject evil bearers, they can probably refuse to harm the innocent. I also thought it was quite lucky he didn't know about cockatrices.

Yona finally got some good development. It's quite nice to find out that despite her proud bragging, she was pretty scared when she started at Twilight's school. Maybe most of the Yaks are like that? In any case, she now has someone to look up to, and that made me think Rockhoof wouldn't be too out of place in Yakyakistan, either. The whole thing played out like a CMC episode, even though they were nowhere to be seen. It's not directly linked to his cutie mark, but they probably could've helped.

It would've been nice to see Starlight, as well. Maybe she was off on the road to friendship...

Mane25 and Blissful690 like this.
  10. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Catching up with this one as well: I thought this episode was... fairly good. I'm not a huge fan of the Pillars overall (I don't dislike them, but they don't do a whole lot for me) so I did find my attention wandering from time to time. There were certainly a number of fun and interesting bits (eg the constellations thing) and the moral was a very good one of "everyone has a place" which fitted very nicely with this show's approach. Mind you, my favourite aspect of this episode was probably the character development it gave Yona. There was some uneven pacing, though, and the first section was pretty repetitive -- even the story about the Ursa Major went on too long. I'm not really that interested in Rockhoof's shovel skills, I'm afraid! All in all, an okay ep but not one I'm likely to rewatch as much as some of the others from "S8 part II".