1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 22 - What Lies Beneath

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 25 August 2018.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    The Student Six by AleximusPrime
    Air Dates:
    15th August (France)
    23rd August (Denmark, Norway, Sweden)
    26th August (Australia)
    22nd September (Discovery Family)

Written by: Michael Vogel

Synopsis: The students at Twilight's School of Friendship are cramming for an exam on the History of Magic in Equestria in the school library when they discover a part of the school that no other ponies know about.

2. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

This episode was awesome.

I mean, holy cow. This is by far the best episode of series 8. I really don't think anything can top this. From, learning more about the tree of Harmony, (Something we have been begging for) to the student 6 really coming into their own. It really has been no surprise to anyone that they there to basically represent differing approaches to life and culture and all sorts of political correctness rubbish, but this episode really does prove that they are genially friends and nothing can tear them apart.

The only issue I have is with Cozy. She once again is a very unsettling character. If she were to confess to her jealousy, it would have been much better to have her join in with the others. The fact she confessed almost without any real motivation puts me at unease. So, I have drafted 3 theories as to what is happening with her.

1. She is an agent of the Tree Harmony. Her original motivation being that she saw they really didn't get the tree and provoked the students.
    2. She is a relative of Neighsayer. That would explain all of the hurtful and stereotypical.things she said initially.
    3. She is Chrysalis in disguise. Highly unlikely but the look she gave at the end gives me the creeps.

Blissful690 likes this.
  3. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Another great episode. Season 8 is really on a roll now.

It's nice to see more of the Student Six again, and they really were allowed to shine here. My favourite part of the whole episode just had to be how adorable Smolder looked in her dress at the tea party. Her reaction to Gallus seeing her like that was funny too.

So the Tree of Harmony has a consciousness. That explains certain things.

It's certainly looking like Cozy Glow is the sneaky villain of this series. She really likes stirring up trouble in the school and some of her looks and expressions are showing her true intent. I have a feeling this won't be the last of her antics either.

Blissful690 likes this.
  4. Recurrent Trotting

what lies beneath is

an inexplicable tree troll? I mean is this thing exlpained in ep 23? (which I haven't seen) because if not it is very weird

the ep was good though. I really like these characters. I also thought the way some characters overcame their fears and then helped the others who couldn't was a great touch. The very first pony ep where everypony predictably had to overcome their individual challenge suffered from that prosaic pacing (contrast the greatness of the Magical Mystery Cure ep where everypony helps each other find their identities through friggin epic song montages!)

Also scared Ocellus and Silver Stream were so cute :3

Also also
    Cozy Glow is such a great villain. If she made just a tiny bit more sense she would be truly epic.

Blissful690 likes this.
  5. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Student Six episode in the OK category.

6. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Catching up so hopefully it won't be too long before I get to the season finale.

This is perhaps the best of the season so far! We've had a few mixed episodes with them, but this is exactly the type of thing I was hoping for from the student six. Their personalities are really starting to develop now - the episode feels very fresh and original while still sticking to the show's values of friendship.

7. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

What a weird episode.

Just saw it tonight (I'm way behind and only just keeping ahead of Discovery Family at this rate) and I'm not sure what to think of it. Not seen the finale yet, but Cozy Glow is definitely up to something.

The episode was decent enough, but honestly it had too many little stories going on for me to really get into it. Using the Tree of Harmony as a plot device was cool though. It was quite fun to see its abilities expanded a little and made a little more mysterious. I'm also glad the Student Six are a bit more fleshed out now, but seeing the Mane Six referred to as professors still feels wrong.

Danishbrony2011 and Blissful690 like this.
  8. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Awesome episode!

The synopsis intrigued me since I first read it, but I hadn't expected anything like this. I always seem to like episodes like this, for some reason, and I felt it was similar to both Return of Harmony and Magic Sheep. Needless to say, the student six each got some good development, and probably about equally so this time.

Yona Being afraid of Spiders is an interesting contrast, although arachnophobia seems a bit generic. It would've been nice to have something more symbolic, unless I'm maybe missing something. I might never like Yona as much as the others, but she's certainly not as dull as she seemed. It's interesting that Ocellus fears being an evil changeling, or at least looking the part. I imagine what she actually fears is being suspected for being a changeling, which may well be a stigma in Equestria as a whole. For personal reasons, Silverstream's test particularly resonated with me. Being Silverstream, she was far happier about her surroundings than any of the others, but we saw a whole other side to her when she thought she was being hunted by the Storm King. Her having to take a leap of faith and confront is was something that hit home for me, on a metaphorical level. Gallus also had quite a generic claustrophobia test, but it had an interesting puzzle element, unlike the others. He's also becoming one of my favourite students, with his snarky attitude, and his apparent intelligence. I'm impressed that he was the first out. Smolder's test looked the easiest on the surface, but in the dragon lands, she would've never been able to live that down, ever. That one also resonated, as I've struggled to accept my own femininity in the past. It might not be much, but Sandbar finally got some development. It's obvious to us that Rarity and Rainbow Dash weren't the real ones, the student six, don't know them that well. It was kind of awesome that he was willing to tell his teachers they're wrong. The way those two smiled before disappearing was just like the real ones, if they'd been the ones testing. I also feel like he's being set up as the heart of this group, as their Twilight.

My first instinct was actually that Sombra's door was involved, especially with the tree's spirit looking like Twilight after the Crystal Heart was used. I can't actually remember how the school building came to be, so maybe I need to watch the season opener again. I'm pretty sure the actual tree was a fair distance, though. Also, because this is the tree of harmony, I suspect it would've let them go anyway, as soon as they realised what they needed to do, but it felt the need to create a sense of urgency. I have to wonder if it would've had more impact if they'd each got out on their own, but I sppose the tree was testing their friendship, rather than them individually. I feel like Cozy Glow orchestrated this, but that would seem to be doing them a favour, as well as the CMC earlier this season, which has me confused. It does make me doubt my own suspicions, but something doesn't seem right.

Ocellus imitating Twilight and AJ was fun, as well. Quite a likeness, but still not too convincing. It suits a young, peaceful changeling who isn't used to doing it.

Mane25 and Blissful690 like this.
  9. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

America caught up to me. I guess I gotta get caught backup and power through the rest of the season to get ahead again.

Gallus is consulting a tree? Why not just Fluttershy?

Pony history shouldn't be that confusing.

Still haven't seen the finale. Still think Cozy Glow is Chryssy.

Is the tree getting militant?

Really don't wanna be in Yona's test. Spiders are just a nope.

Is it possible for drones to just become the queen of the hive?

I wonder what Sandbar's fear is. Going on an adventure doesn't seem that bad.

Smolder's fear seems to be close to Dashie's.

Befriending spiders? Nope.

Is Sandbar failing the test?

Silverstream overcoming her fear was pretty great.

And there's Sandbar having his Wonderbolt Academy moment.

So are we gonna see more of the Tree's sentience? Is Cozy an agent of the Tree?