1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 23 - Sounds of Silence

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 25 August 2018.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Sunny Day by ShinePawPony
    Air Dates:
    15th August (France)
    24th August (Denmark, Norway, Sweden)
    1st September (Australia)
    29th September (Discovery Family)

Written by: Gregory Bonsignore

Synopsis: Fluttershy and Applejack journey to the edge of the map on a Friendship Quest to help a group of ponies named Kirin -- who are so afraid of hurting each other's feelings, they've taken a potion of silence.

Hmm, the map is sending the Elements of Kindness and Honesty for this one. I'm curious to see how this story unfolds. :)

2. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

Actually, forget what I said about the last episode.

This is the best episode of the series. The Kirin are an interesting additions to the world of MLP. This time taking inspiration from east Asian legends. Both Applejack and Fluttershy work of each other well and of course the song in this episode easily goes within my top 5 of the entire show. The only complaint I have about this episode really is that its seems to be over very quickly. That may very well be the case that the song was so good I wanted it to end quickly so I could go and listen to it again, but I do feel like it is a legit-able complaint. I do hope we go back there and learn more about them, other wise they just going to fall either into the catogory of species we forgot about (The Buffalo's) or the species we don't care about (The Crystal Ponies).

3. Blissful690

Blissful690 New Pony

Something I want to say about one aspect of the episode:
    The song is one of the best in the series, but it wasn't what I was expecting it to sound like. I was expecting a more of a tribal flavour, rather than the kind of jazzy sound we got.

4. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Great episode. :)
    "Flanks don't lie" - Twilight Sparkle, 2018. :p

I loved the travelling sequence near the beginning. It was cute how AJ helped Fluttershy to the rock in the middle of the stream. I loved how it then showed AJ jumping over cliffs and climbing the peaks.. and then climbing back down to get Fluttershy. :p

Wow... Fluttershy can really yell if she wants to. :p

The Kirin were great, especially Autumn Blaze. That little headtilt they did when they weren't sure how to respond to AJ and Flutters was really adorable.

"Foal's Breath". Nice. :p

Really enjoyed the song too. :)

5. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Wow, the season is really rounding up with a good consistent quality of episodes. I hope this keeps up to the finale.

I got a laugh at the maniacally laughing old pony at the station. You thinks he's done but he keeps laughing.

AJ treks over cliffs, swamps and through swarms of insects... an has to go back for Fluttershy. At first I thought she was too scared to keep going, but it turns out she met some "varmints". :p

The Kirin were interesting. At first I thought we were going to have where they solved a problem through silent miming Kirins. Then we meet the chatterbox.

That song was pretty fun, and probably the best in the season. Autumn Blaze was a fun character too. I enjoyed the Lassie reference and it also seems we have another character who has invented their own bunch of "friends". I wonder if they'd get along with Sir Lintsalot and Madam le Fleur?

I think this episode had a pretty good moral too which I don't think we've seen, which is rare now that we're eight seasons in. Overall, this was another solid episode and it's a shame the season is nearly over now.

6. Recurrent Trotting

9/10 'cause my flanks don't lie :p

ep was great fun with great message, great characters, great lore and great song :3 more words are not needed! this ep is what we go for pone for

it is only not 10/10 because the ending was a tiny bit rushed, but then what can you do with 20 min slots?

pone-tura

Blissful690 likes this.
  7. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

A few thoughts about this one - this is one of the best episodes

This episode had a more epic feel to it than most - and, had they chosen to, I think they could have expanded this and made it a 2-part episode or even a movie. Not to say it felt rushed, the episode was perfectly paced as it was I thought, but there was plenty more to this story that could have been explored.

My first thoughts were (and still are) though do we really need yet another species? I kind of saw that as the purpose of the Movie, to expand the universe, properly establish the existence of the outside world and species to give the show new opportunities and ideas to continue - and I think at this point I can say that was successful. I really like the Kirin, but maybe it would have been wiser to better develop the species they have before introducing new ones. But then if they did that we wouldn't have this episode - it's just that it's a shame it's probable that we'll never see the Kirin again.

I wasn't overly taken by the song on the first listen, but during the reprise I started to love it so I think it's one that'll definitely grow on me.

10/10, one that I looked forward to watching again as soon as it had finished.

8. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Sound of Silence

The song was my only highlight.

9. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Maybe this won't be as scary as Silence in the Library.

"Flanks don't lie."

Is it this pony's job to scare off explorers? Or is he just bored and messing with them?

The messy mane look is nice on AJ. She should do it more often.

Those horns are reminiscent of Sombra's. I wonder if there's any relation.

AJ's knock knock joke was just awful.

I'm kind of wondering if Autumn Blaze is their Pinkie.

I am loving her song.

Yep, the isolation is driving her just as mad.

Forcing silence on ponies is a bit extreme.

I wonder if foal's breath is a common flower.

I kinda can't wait to see what the fandom does with the song in covers.

Blissful690 likes this.