1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 24 - Father Knows Beast

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 25 August 2018.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Spike by GamiJack
    Air Dates:
    15th August (France)
    27th August (Sweden)
    2nd September (Australia)
    TBA (Discovery Family)

Written by: TBA

Synopsis: When a strange dragon crash lands in Ponyville claiming to be Spike's father, Spike is ready to do anything his 'dad' says in order to learn how to be a 'real' dragon.

2. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Double post, but it's been over a week, so should be okay. :)

Really impressed with this one...
    I loved the ending especially. I awwed at the sequence of Twilight's heart breaking, so it was especially sweet when Twilight and Spike made up and hugged. I would really love to learn more about what life was like for these two before the beginning of the series. :)

The wording of the synopsis suggests that Sludge probably wasn't for real, and it was pretty predictable that he was just taking advantage of the ponies' hospitality and things, but that didn't make watching this episode any less enjoyable.

After Smolder's declaration that dragons don't use pillows, I loved the dramatic reveal that Sludge was using one near the end. :p

Loved the shot of the bathtub getting thrown out of the castle, with Starlight in it... It's a good thing she knows how to do self-levitation. :p

One of Spike's best episodes and one of the best ones for this season. :)

3. Recurrent Trotting

pick of the spike eps for me and gave us some more new stuff. love how fresh pony still feels 8/10

also picka! :p
    smolder shone brightly in this ep. She's a sass dragon. I also loved the message. With all the factionalism we're seeing in the UK and net-culture atm - how important is it not to assume that your identity must be led by one of your own tribe and not your good sense! There are more than one way to be a dragon. Don't let troll-dragons define you just because you're proud of your dragon heritage!
    you can be a dragon disney princess :p

4. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

One of the better Spike episodes.

5. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I'm surprised this episode is getting so much praise when Spike episodes that have less glaring problems have had nothing but grief.

Spike, you tried finding out what being a real dragon meant before and that didn't end well. I can see that he'd want to try and get to know his dad better but I wish the reasoning of his behaviour was that rather than to be a real dragon. Shouldn't his time with Ember and Smolder have made him more aware of what being a dragon means?

It was also painfully obvious that Sludge was lying too, and whilst I can see emotions getting the better of Spike, what is the excuse for the rest of the Mane 6? It made them look like idiots for letting his story slide.

Also, how can Twi and Spike still be so clueless as to finding out who Spike's biological parents are? Twilight could have sent a letter to Celestia to see where the egg came from. Or send a letter to Ember and have her ask around and find out if a dragon lost an egg near Equestria just before Spike was born. I'm also a little puzzled that Spike didn't ask Sludge more about his mother.

Okay, enough of the negative. It feels weird me being the only one criticising a Spike episode. :confused:

I did like the interactions with Spike and Smolder. Maybe this is a ship starting to sail? They've certainly become good friends over the season, which is nice to see. I like how Smolder helped Spike see sense and rumble Sludge's plan of having a lazy life in the castle.

I also enjoyed Starlight being thrown out of the castle in her bathtub. Can't a guidance counsellor wash herself in peace? :p

This was an enjoyable episode despite my gripes with it. I think it suffered from its timing more than anything else. This might have been better before Gauntlet of Fire so Spike and Twilight didn't have the option of asking Ember, but then the resolution would need to change. In any case, we'd better get an answer to Spike's parents next season or this episode is going to be a huge tease for nothing, and leave a bad sludgy taste in the mouth.

6. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

And back with Spike

Somewhere, Scootaloo is jealous and she doesn't know why.

Shouldn't Twi have realized the pony upbringing has changed Spike way back in Dragon Quest?

At least it was a dragon and not a comet incoming.

Kinda wondering if the dragons sent him away in that ball of fire.

So is he working an angle, or is he legit?

Yep, after that story, he's working an angle.

I like the beat of this song, but I don't like his singing. Kinda wish they'd just gone all the way with it being sleazy.

Twi's reaction to Sludge's awakening is too perfect.

I mean, Sludge is being sleazy, but his greed is pretty dragonish.

I also can't help but think this is commentary on sleazy masculinity.

I dunno. I think Spike could benefit from more time in the dragon lands. Might keep him from falling for shysters like that again.

Blissful690 likes this.