1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 25 & 26 - School Raze

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 6 September 2018.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Mane 6: Friends Forever! by 9987NeonDraws
    Air Dates:
    28th August 2018 (Denmark, Norway, Sweden)
    8th September 2018 (Australia)
    13th October 2018 (Discovery Family)

Written by: Nicole Dubuc

Synopsis: When the magic of Equestria mysteriously begins to fail, Twilight leads her friends on a quest for answers, leaving the School of Friendship open to attack from a dangerous mastermind.

Well, thanks to the weird scheduling of episodes, the extremely accelerated second half of Season 8 is coming to an end. (And to those of you waiting for the Discovery Family releases: I admire your patience. :p )

2. sten whik

sten whik Space

Loved it! 10/10
    Joins "A Canterlot Wedding" and "The Cutie Re-Mark" as the only flawless perfectly flowing season finales...
    No time for songs, we have an Infinity War of characters and plot to follow.
    Speaking of Thanos, Cozy Glow is just as well written and portrayed a villain, except her evil plan also makes logical sense.
    Keeping with the Marvel comparisons, unlike with Spider-Man 3, having multiple villains here was executed perfectly (perhaps they are testing for something bigger next season :p ).

3. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Okay, that was good. :)

I was spoiled on a couple of things, so it probably didn't have quite the impact it might have had if I had been able to go in without knowing anything. I still enjoyed it though. :)

There were a couple of things that bothered me though:
    - I know Twilight sometimes takes things upon herself, but Rarity being so surprised that Twilight said "we'll" take care of it, and then saying that she "finally" learned that she can depend on them seemed really off to me. I guess they were going off of continuity from the movie? I guess I was just reminded of "Twilight's Kingdom" when Twilight took on the challenge to protect the alicorns' magic and she started to boldly declare that she could do it with the help of her friends before Celestia cut her off and told her that it had to remain a secret even from them.
    - If Celestia and Luna lacked magic, who was raising and setting the sun and moon?

Cozy Glow made a good villain... I thought at first that maybe Tirek was manipulating her for his own benefit, but it turned out she was evil all on her own. It's amusing that one of the most sickeningly saccharine characters ever turned out to be an evil mastermind. :p

It was good to see Tirek again. I know a lot of people didn't like him, but he's one of my favourite villains. Twilight and especially Pinkie, driving the point home that they would be stuck together in Tarturus to get him to help them was greatly amusing. :p

Chancellor Neighsay was good again, and I loved the fact that the Student Six saving the school got the point through to him that friendship isn't just for ponies. :)

But yeah, a good end to this season. Looking forward to Season 9. :)

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  4. sten whik

sten whik Space

By Luna's words it seems only the Moon stopped raising. It is absent from all the night shots bar one (and that could be an animation error).

5. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Best.Season.Finale.Ever. 10/10

6. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Yep that was pretty good.

Really good end to the season, not just the finale but the last few episodes really came together, and I can strongly say that the student six has been a really good thing for the show, and I look forward to what they will do next season. I was unfortunately spoiled about Cozy Glow being the villain but didn't know any details.

Wasn't so keen on the ending though - I would have liked to have seen Cozy Glow realise her mistake, like Neighsay did, and rejoin the school - it seemed at one point that that was where they were going but oddly inconsistent that they should lock her up and give Neighsay a second chance. They were both bad, and both were taught the same lesson, essentially. That unfortunately pushes the episode down in my estimation, even though it was otherwise very enjoyable.

7. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

And the award for the weakest villain motivation goes to...

Cozy Glow everyone.

Seriously, why? Why Cozy Glow? Why does she want to drain all of the magic in Equestria? How did she contact Tirek? Why did her parents allow this to happen? Why does she think that friendship alone will give her all of the power? I just don't get it. It's just her vs in excess of a billion creatures that rely on magic. This does not work. She claims that having all of the friends will ensure that she is more powerful then Twilight, but I think if you take all of the magic away, they really won't want to be your friend.

In fact, why am I actually questioning all of this actually when the biggest question is where did this all come from. Was their any indication when she first joined the school? If that was her plan, why did she fail the test initially? Get in. Do the magic theft. Boom job done. Why was the CMC necessary?

I'm sorry I could not enjoy this episode. The plot holes are just so gigantic I can not in my right mind ignore them. Maybe if she was in conjunction with Chancellor Neighsayor it would make more sense, but that is never done home. Every single villain within the show has had either an actual intent to be evil or their personality traits simply gave of their evil. Sorry Cozy Glow, but the way I see it, you are ranked bottom of the pile of villains within this franchise. Hopefully the writers will do something with you next series seeing as it was somewhat implied, but until, you are the worst. And not in a good way.

8. sten whik

sten whik Space

So that nobody can use it for any political and practical advantage (such as bowing to somepony because they raise the sun) and to trap the current leaders of Friendship.

Think of her like a country without Nuclear Weapons, to that country removing the Nuclear Weapons from all countries puts them on an equal footing. Of course the reality is that Celestia not only has a thousand year built political advantage but also a large pre-existing military force.

Seemingly by post, the mail pony can get to Discord in another dimension so why not.

How would they stop her? If they exist that is, given that we haven't been shown or told that they do.

They weren't supposed to find out that she was the one taking the magic away.

There's several small things to follow to find the answer to this...
    The spell involved artefacts that were donated to the school after she joined so there's no way she could have come up with it beforehand.
    In every scene she's in throughout the season she is either acting more friendly and helpful than before or taking notes (over the season she goes from a notepad to having stacks of papers next her in class) indicating that she's been improving her technique as she goes and thus that her state of nearly failing and dropping out of school in her first appearance was possibly genuine.
    Added to that evidence is her asking the CMC what's in it for them with a suspicious tone when they offer to tutor her.
    If that state was genuine then there's one thing she says early on that indicates her motivation for enrolling in the school, that being when shown the test card with Rairty's cutie mark on she answers "Control".

9. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

And here we go.

Derpy didn't even make sure those were all supposed to go to the school.

Cozy's a little too perfect. She's like out-Spiking Spike.

So does magic not work on yaks?

I do miss the huge saves like Wonderbolt Academy and Sonic Rainboom.

Failing magic can't be good.

Did Cozy poison the tree?

Now this is starting to sound suitably epic.

So what did Cozy do to Starlight?

The painful self-boop from Rarity.

I do wonder if Equestria is maybe too reliant on magic.

Sapphire Shores tickets? What even is that filly?

I imagined the door to Tartarus being more intimidating.

That's kind of a lame artifact to only work once and then self-destruct.

And Neighsay.

Tirek's laying on the Hannibal a bit thick.

Crusaders to the rescue!

Protege? That's a bit conniving.

Is Cozy even a filly? Seriously, contacting Tirek, plotting like this, no way she's a normal filly.

Okay, Dash, how did you think that was gonna work?

I wonder if they can just move the artifacts to break it.

And maybe we'll get to see the CMC come into their own as heroes.

I wouldn't count on Neighsay.

Cozy playing Neighsay is beautiful, even if she's bad.

Yeah, he totally forgot there's one of him and a bunch of students.

Hah, puppet Mane 6.

So he's off to the princesses, but do they have the arcane knowledge to break the spell?

Never expected a pep talk out of Fluttershy.

Weaponized Pinkie. That's a good use of Pinkie.

A little overdramatic, Twi. It's not over until the fat mare sings, and I don't see anypony singing. Don't underestimate Equestrians' determination to protect Equestria.

New element bearers?

Is this the end of the tree?

Hey! A grand army of guards!

Oh, come on, AJ. Slap her around.

I kinda wonder if Equestria has finally learned to shut down villains before they can just run off to plot revenge.

Oh, great, they just put her with her mentor. Guess we'll be seeing them again in S9.