1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 25 & 26 - School Raze

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 6 September 2018.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Mane 6: Friends Forever! by 9987NeonDraws
    Air Dates:
    28th August 2018 (Denmark, Norway, Sweden)
    8th September 2018 (Australia)
    13th October 2018 (Discovery Family)

Written by: Nicole Dubuc

Synopsis: When the magic of Equestria mysteriously begins to fail, Twilight leads her friends on a quest for answers, leaving the School of Friendship open to attack from a dangerous mastermind.

Well, thanks to the weird scheduling of episodes, the extremely accelerated second half of Season 8 is coming to an end. (And to those of you waiting for the Discovery Family releases: I admire your patience. :p )

2. sten whik

sten whik Space

Loved it! 10/10
    Joins "A Canterlot Wedding" and "The Cutie Re-Mark" as the only flawless perfectly flowing season finales...
    No time for songs, we have an Infinity War of characters and plot to follow.
    Speaking of Thanos, Cozy Glow is just as well written and portrayed a villain, except her evil plan also makes logical sense.
    Keeping with the Marvel comparisons, unlike with Spider-Man 3, having multiple villains here was executed perfectly (perhaps they are testing for something bigger next season :p ).

3. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Okay, that was good. :)

I was spoiled on a couple of things, so it probably didn't have quite the impact it might have had if I had been able to go in without knowing anything. I still enjoyed it though. :)

There were a couple of things that bothered me though:
    - I know Twilight sometimes takes things upon herself, but Rarity being so surprised that Twilight said "we'll" take care of it, and then saying that she "finally" learned that she can depend on them seemed really off to me. I guess they were going off of continuity from the movie? I guess I was just reminded of "Twilight's Kingdom" when Twilight took on the challenge to protect the alicorns' magic and she started to boldly declare that she could do it with the help of her friends before Celestia cut her off and told her that it had to remain a secret even from them.
    - If Celestia and Luna lacked magic, who was raising and setting the sun and moon?

Cozy Glow made a good villain... I thought at first that maybe Tirek was manipulating her for his own benefit, but it turned out she was evil all on her own. It's amusing that one of the most sickeningly saccharine characters ever turned out to be an evil mastermind. :p

It was good to see Tirek again. I know a lot of people didn't like him, but he's one of my favourite villains. Twilight and especially Pinkie, driving the point home that they would be stuck together in Tarturus to get him to help them was greatly amusing. :p

Chancellor Neighsay was good again, and I loved the fact that the Student Six saving the school got the point through to him that friendship isn't just for ponies. :)

But yeah, a good end to this season. Looking forward to Season 9. :)

4. sten whik

sten whik Space

By Luna's words it seems only the Moon stopped raising. It is absent from all the night shots bar one (and that could be an animation error).

5. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Best.Season.Finale.Ever. 10/10

6. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Yep that was pretty good.

Really good end to the season, not just the finale but the last few episodes really came together, and I can strongly say that the student six has been a really good thing for the show, and I look forward to what they will do next season. I was unfortunately spoiled about Cozy Glow being the villain but didn't know any details.

Wasn't so keen on the ending though - I would have liked to have seen Cozy Glow realise her mistake, like Neighsay did, and rejoin the school - it seemed at one point that that was where they were going but oddly inconsistent that they should lock her up and give Neighsay a second chance. They were both bad, and both were taught the same lesson, essentially. That unfortunately pushes the episode down in my estimation, even though it was otherwise very enjoyable.

Danishbrony2011 and Blissful690 like this.
  7. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

And the award for the weakest villain motivation goes to...

Cozy Glow everyone.

Seriously, why? Why Cozy Glow? Why does she want to drain all of the magic in Equestria? How did she contact Tirek? Why did her parents allow this to happen? Why does she think that friendship alone will give her all of the power? I just don't get it. It's just her vs in excess of a billion creatures that rely on magic. This does not work. She claims that having all of the friends will ensure that she is more powerful then Twilight, but I think if you take all of the magic away, they really won't want to be your friend.

In fact, why am I actually questioning all of this actually when the biggest question is where did this all come from. Was their any indication when she first joined the school? If that was her plan, why did she fail the test initially? Get in. Do the magic theft. Boom job done. Why was the CMC necessary?

I'm sorry I could not enjoy this episode. The plot holes are just so gigantic I can not in my right mind ignore them. Maybe if she was in conjunction with Chancellor Neighsayor it would make more sense, but that is never done home. Every single villain within the show has had either an actual intent to be evil or their personality traits simply gave of their evil. Sorry Cozy Glow, but the way I see it, you are ranked bottom of the pile of villains within this franchise. Hopefully the writers will do something with you next series seeing as it was somewhat implied, but until, you are the worst. And not in a good way.

8. sten whik

sten whik Space

So that nobody can use it for any political and practical advantage (such as bowing to somepony because they raise the sun) and to trap the current leaders of Friendship.

Think of her like a country without Nuclear Weapons, to that country removing the Nuclear Weapons from all countries puts them on an equal footing. Of course the reality is that Celestia not only has a thousand year built political advantage but also a large pre-existing military force.

Seemingly by post, the mail pony can get to Discord in another dimension so why not.

How would they stop her? If they exist that is, given that we haven't been shown or told that they do.

They weren't supposed to find out that she was the one taking the magic away.

There's several small things to follow to find the answer to this...
    The spell involved artefacts that were donated to the school after she joined so there's no way she could have come up with it beforehand.
    In every scene she's in throughout the season she is either acting more friendly and helpful than before or taking notes (over the season she goes from a notepad to having stacks of papers next her in class) indicating that she's been improving her technique as she goes and thus that her state of nearly failing and dropping out of school in her first appearance was possibly genuine.
    Added to that evidence is her asking the CMC what's in it for them with a suspicious tone when they offer to tutor her.
    If that state was genuine then there's one thing she says early on that indicates her motivation for enrolling in the school, that being when shown the test card with Rairty's cutie mark on she answers "Control".

9. Steamworks

Steamworks Well-Known Pony

And here we go.

Derpy didn't even make sure those were all supposed to go to the school.

Cozy's a little too perfect. She's like out-Spiking Spike.

So does magic not work on yaks?

I do miss the huge saves like Wonderbolt Academy and Sonic Rainboom.

Failing magic can't be good.

Did Cozy poison the tree?

Now this is starting to sound suitably epic.

So what did Cozy do to Starlight?

The painful self-boop from Rarity.

I do wonder if Equestria is maybe too reliant on magic.

Sapphire Shores tickets? What even is that filly?

I imagined the door to Tartarus being more intimidating.

That's kind of a lame artifact to only work once and then self-destruct.

And Neighsay.

Tirek's laying on the Hannibal a bit thick.

Crusaders to the rescue!

Protege? That's a bit conniving.

Is Cozy even a filly? Seriously, contacting Tirek, plotting like this, no way she's a normal filly.

Okay, Dash, how did you think that was gonna work?

I wonder if they can just move the artifacts to break it.

And maybe we'll get to see the CMC come into their own as heroes.

I wouldn't count on Neighsay.

Cozy playing Neighsay is beautiful, even if she's bad.

Yeah, he totally forgot there's one of him and a bunch of students.

Hah, puppet Mane 6.

So he's off to the princesses, but do they have the arcane knowledge to break the spell?

Never expected a pep talk out of Fluttershy.

Weaponized Pinkie. That's a good use of Pinkie.

A little overdramatic, Twi. It's not over until the fat mare sings, and I don't see anypony singing. Don't underestimate Equestrians' determination to protect Equestria.

New element bearers?

Is this the end of the tree?

Hey! A grand army of guards!

Oh, come on, AJ. Slap her around.

I kinda wonder if Equestria has finally learned to shut down villains before they can just run off to plot revenge.

Oh, great, they just put her with her mentor. Guess we'll be seeing them again in S9.

10. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I found this an enjoyable end to the season, although it's not quite as spectacular as some of the previous finales.

I like how Rarity feels the big disaster from losing magic is being unable to style to tail. It was funny to see her reaction to the idea of using her tail to swat away flies too.

It seems my theory that Neighsay and Cosy were related is a bust. At least Neighsay saw the error of his ways, probably a good thing since I'm sure Twilight would have had some choice words for him taking over the school in her absence.

I did laugh at Rainbow's attempt to break the door open.

The day is saved... by the tree of Harmony. It was a bit of a surprise, but it would have been nice to see the Student 6 to pull through. I guess they still have a bit to learn.

I did find it odd that Cozy Glow got locked up in Tartarus. She is still just a filly, surely her parents or guardians would object to this? Besides, I find it odd that she gets locked up whilst Starlight Glimmer faced practically no repercussions for trying to rewrite history and causing untold havoc many times over. I know that would be hard to prove, but Twilight and Spike were witnesses. It's just seems a bit jarring for them to usually be so forgiving to suddenly have zero tolerance like this. Also, I don't think locking her up with Tirek is such a good idea given how he helped her in the first place.

11. Steamworks

Steamworks Well-Known Pony

Cozy was pretty unrepentant, though. Starlight wanted to change, but I don't think Cozy did. Plus, I'm not sure putting her in a regular prison/dungeon would be advisable. Look at her knack for manipulating people. How long would she be in there before she manipulated a guard into freeing her?

I also don't think she's a normal filly. Look at her ability to manipulate ponies, and she did reach out to Tirek to help form a plan to dominate Equestria. Maybe we'll get more about her next season.

Blissful690 likes this.
  12. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Yeah, this is still really what soured an otherwise great episode for me and the more I think about it as well. It would have been so much a better ending if she had learnt her lesson and stayed on in the friendship school, and I thought it came so close to happening. It's kind of disappointing.

I think Tartarus itself is out of place in MLP; locking up villains is hardly demonstrating the power of friendship.

13. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

And so the finale official ends S8 tomorrow.

Cya at the Christmas Special.

14. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Holy cow! What an episode.

Incredible twists in this one really. At first I was thinking Tirek (was not expecting him to return) after Celestia mentioned him. Then when Neighsay appeared, and used magic, I was like "Oh it's him, he's using magic," when it was revealed to be Cozy Glow. Holy cow! The episode from there on out. Cozy Glow did the evil thing so well.

Let's see Cozy managed to
    • get rid of the mane six
    • get rid of Starlight
    • put Neighsay in chains (how do you like being chained up Neighsay? :p)
    • steal all of Equestria's magic
    • stay in contact with Tirek, the whole time in this series
    • found an important key to Tartarus
    Wow, a little filly did this. I was starting to have suspicions when I saw What Lies Beneath. I kept thinking "Cozy knows something, there are so, so many questions I have about her."

Also, seeing the Unlikely Six saving Neighsay, I was like "this guy is going to have a change of heart." Surely enough, he did.

Excellent finale, was on the edge of my seat with this one.

15. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

That was quite a finale. I feel like it was more reminiscent of the likes of A Canterlot Wedding, rather than the epic adventures of recent season finales. I am a bit surprised that Twilight didn't seem to think about the door closing behind them, but she probably felt there was no other choice. It felt like there were some nice references to the season 1 opener in their side of the story. Pinkie being to only one to realise that what they fear isn't happening, Fluttershy taming a "beast" by talking to it reasonably, things like that. It also found it quite heartwarming to see Rainbow Dash and Applejack playing with Cerberus like a pet, even if it was part of Twilight's plan. It's quite a statement that their friendship is enough to befriend a three headed dog guarding the most dangerous threats to Equestria. Tirek here is another interesting example of a previously dangerous villain having lost his power. I feel like it's justified, and Pinkie messing with him was mildly amusing.

The Student six were great again, with Sandbar finally having his moment. He still might not have much that sets him apart in the way of personality, but the plot wouldn't have worked without him. I'm also impressed that Smolder suspected Cozy Glow, although the others had varying degrees of suspicion, as well. It's nice to see Neighsay reformed, and the irony that the diverse student six had to save him from a pony. Cozy was certainly an effective villain, and it did take me a while still to try to figure out her actions earlier in the season. My best guess is that she wanted to be as nice as possible to as many others as possible, so that it would be easier to turn a crowd against anyone who found her out, as she did. I guess it's implied that Starlight did find her out, but it would've been nice to see more of her. Though the mane six were basically in the same position for To Where and Back Again, so maybe fair's fair. It was nice to have the CMC be involved In a finale. but it also would've been nice to see them used more, even though there was only so much time.

As for Cozy Glow ending up in Tartarus, that's a difficult one. On one hoof, she is just a filly, and putting her right next to Tirek might not be the best idea, but it doesn't seem like there are many other alternatives. If she claimed to be reformed, how would anyone know she was being genuine? We likely haven't seen the last of her, and, maybe even more unsettlingly, There's still been no sign of Chrysalis.

16. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

How about this alternative, we take what happens to young criminals in our world and have her put into a filly detention centre. The difference there is that the focus is on rehabilitation and showing Cozy why she was wrong. She's kept away from Tirek, and under supervision by ponies that could easily be made aware of her manipulative nature. Given what Twilight said to her at the end I'm sure she'd happily volunteer to spend some time helping.

As it is, this just reeks of a revenge plot down the line, and could bite Equestria in the flank big time. Heck, even Chrysalis was at least offered a chance at redemption. I do wonder if the Season 9 finale may be Tirek, Cozy and Chrysalis attempting the ultimate revenge.

I'm also curious as to what Cozy Glow actually intended to do in her role as Empress of Friendship. She might not have thought that far ahead and just wanted power for the sake of power. If that's so it would've been easy to show the error of her ways. A shame she's locked up where no pony can ask her.

17. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

Season Finale, this set off with excitement and real promise but the second half didn't deliver.

School Raze Part 1:

Had a feature film feel about it at the beginning with Derpy making her way to the school delivering letters, all seemingly calm and positive as Cosy Glow goes about her business as innocent as ever, whilst deep in the background the plotting is going on, as a viewer it really sets the tone here, then the Cloudsdale event with the magic dissapearance happens and suddenly we are thrown into the plot. It's happening!!!! Big finale time. How does it go down?

I liked Twi's quibble about Starlight not doing her spell properly with Glimmy's sarcastic response. Then Cosy Glow mentions his name: Tirek! Yes! The antagonist that brought probrably this shows most famous sequence that cemented the likeability to many older fans. He's back and no doubt about to unleash chaos. Off go our mane 6 to Tartutus to check if he's up to something. Meanwhile they left Starlight to run the school.

I liked how the lack of magical ability gave the earth ponies in this a chance to shine a bit as they feel under appreciated, it was great to see the mane 6 using their abilities as a team to navigate into and through Tatturus to eventually find Tirek, oh and hearing his voice again, ooh blimey we've got a finale on our hands now.

Meanwhile back at the school, Cosy Glow sets her devious plan into action, traps Starlight and takes over, only for her plan to be diminished by the certain appearance of Chancellor 'as nature intended' Neighsay!

Now this finale is getting good. We've got a three way storyline going on here. Mane 6 trapped in Tarturus with Tirek, Cosy Glow relinquishing Equestria of all its magic and now Neighsay has capitalised on these goings on to do what he always wanted, remove Twilight's school and take it over and remove everycreature other than ponies, to which he does. Que end of part 1.

School Raze Part 2:

This was always going to be tough to finish this off in less than 30 mins. Unfortunately for me, it blew it.

Cosy Glow seems to turn from being an excellent 'silent but deadly' strategist who plays others off against each other for her own use, to now becoming some sort of rebellion leader, convincing the school students to go after Neighsay and trap him, so she can take over the school (hence that directly destroys one third of the plot in a few seconds). Her loud irritating voice starts getting on my nerves. She was much better as the quiet and innocent one out of the way that was secretly plotting. She has a chess peice as a cutie mark, it would make sense her to be a strategist, not suddenly a leader.

Now we are down to just two storylines, CG gone power driven and Mane 6 still in Tarturus. So the CMCs get a mention in the finale and help release the non-pony creatures with the help of Sandbar and they offer to help free Neighsay, on the trust, given their freindship lessons, that he will be grateful and accept them, to which he does. I did like the way they used this to make Neighsay question his beliefs and it was a good way to reform him.

Back in Tarturus, they work out a way to use all of the remaining magic of the creatures inside to combine it using Twilight, and use it to open the doors our Tarturus to escape and get back to Ponyville to stop CG. At this point Tirek is less of the formidable antagonist and more of a character being made fun of (Pinkie Pie), it was getting dull.

Mane 6 get out, Neighsay is freed and gets word to Celestia and Luna about CG, only for the actual thing that stops CG to be a real farse.

Yep, you guessed it, the elements of harmony stop CG. When the student 6 attempt to free Starlight, they themselves become trapped only for the elements to then just let them all go and destroy Cosy's plan.

Every time.....the tree/elements of harmony always come out to resolve anything. Whenever you can't be bothered to come up with a way to defeat the villain, use the tree of harmony. This must be a motto for the writing team. Absolute rubbish way out.

The rest is easy. CG stopped, magic returns. End of season 8.

To me this had so mch more potential.

Neighsay could have had more of a villain role in this way until the end when the creatures could have saved him. Maybe we could have even had villain vs villain sequence.
    Starlight was just non-existant in the process. They got rid of her pretty easily.

My biggest problem with this though was Tirek's role. He didn't even make it out of the cage. When Twilight used all of the magic to open the doors, including his by agreement, why didn't right at the end Tirek suck some of her magic back and use it to quickly open the cage door and make a dart for it? Now that would have given us something for season 9 to go into. He could have used CG just to get the mane 6 in to help open the doors and unintentially assist in his escape, knowing full well CG plan would not work but Tirkek would have gotten out. That would have been more clever.

So overall, what had such promise did not deliver in the end in my opinion.

#17 Streamline, 23 October 2018
    Last edited: 23 October 2018
  18. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Hah, well I enjoyed it

Blow by blow style again.

• Derpy :3 She even made sort of a noise.
    • Oh it's that evil Cozy again... I'm watching you...
    • A small rainbow pone :D
    • I won't tire of hearing "Professor Sparkle" being uttered.
    • Starlight's powers put to good use with the clouds
    • Uh oh, Yona too heavy
    • "Come on, we gotta catch 'em" - all? PONYMON
    • Yona kissing the ground :3
    • The students dropped out - HAR DE HAR HAR :p
    • "Maybe you did your spell wrong?", nice comeback from Glimmer :p
    • When even Starswirl doesn't know what to do, there's trouble.
    • So finally after all these years they don't have to say "hey wait we're coming too" XD
    • Why isn't Starlight going? If she can nearly end the world, surely she can save it
    • So now they're all out of the way Cozy can do her evils...
    • Hahaha Rarity swatted herself
    • Indeed ponies do use their tails to swat flies, be more real pony like
    • Nice try on the pizza delivery
    • Cozy packed the key. Nice of her. *narrows eyes*
    • Aw, sad monsters, those poor things
    • Racist Snape is back, this'll be fun
    • Fluttershy getting triple the love from Cerberus :3
    • Tirek doing a Hannibal impression XD
    • Thingy.. pony guy... brave lad going against the others in order to save them
    • A new ship sails between Apple Bloom and pony dude, at least in my head
    • Cozy vs. Racist Snape, the enemy of the enemy... are they a friend?
    • Empress of Friendship! DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN

WOW that was one heck of a setup. Highlights: Gotta catch em all, student dropped out, sad monsters, happy Cerberus, Hannibal, and all the crazy twists and turns.

Part 2....
    • Daft escape plan Dashie, don't give up the day job.
    • They have magic in them... ah, just grind up all the monsters and make a potion of them! Perfect!
    • Yona tacklehugs pony dude :)
    • Between Racist Snape and Nasty Glow I don't know who's good or bad any more
    • Cozy's mane 6 puppets
    • "Now that nasty pony met nastier pony, maybe nasty pony not be so nasty" - I love Yona.
    • Hope the ponies don't get their own way out in any easy way, as that would be silly and totally undermine the prison place
    • Wait a minute. Tirek's voice sounds a lot like Neighsay's... *narrows eyes*
    • Heh, well annoying Tirek is one way out - imagine having Pinkie in your ear for all eternity!
    • Wait, you can't just leave the creatures there, they helped you get out? Poor things. Setup for the grand finale maybe? (I'll call it now, because why not)
    • Okay, the other students are a bit too fickle, except for that one who actually spoke up
    • It took the tree to save them? Seriously? That was the only disappointment in the whole thing. Why should some magic tree go and Deus Ex them out while the other students stand by being useless?
    • Off to the child detention centre with Cozy
    • Even Racist Snape finally learns the errors of his ways, nice resolution for his arc.
    • Don't scare me with that fake graduation :p The show needs the student six at this point, it's keeping it interesting when the mane 6 had pretty much all been done.
    • "Friendship can take a lifetime to understand" - true. We're still sat here learning from MLP.
    • Bit harsh throwing a child in a prison for mass murderers and such like. Can't she learn and be reformed or something? That sits a bit wrong with me. But maybe there's more to her than her filly appearance.
    A season finale that was good, I like those. Wasn't expecting Tirek! Cozy did the "cuteness can be sinister" thing well, not sure about her harsh punishment. And I'm waiting to see what happens to the monsters that weren't really monsters...