1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 3 - The Maud Couple

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 28 March 2018.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

[​IMG]
    Beatnik Maud Pie by GonzaHerMeg
    ( CC by-nc-sa 3.0 )

Air date:
    31 March 2018

Writers: Nick Confalone

Synopsis: "Pinkie Pie's super-best-friend-sister bond is challenged when Maud gets a boyfriend that Pinkie can't stand."

That's right -- Maud is getting a special somepony! It looks from the synopsis as though Pinkie won't actually be jealous, so my guess is that she may feel that Maud could do better and so start interfering in her sister's relationship. Could we actually see Maud being angry with her sister? Also, we have a confirmed writer this time, which is nice.

Please use spoiler-cuts until 24 hours after the episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you. :)

2. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

It's great to see Maud Pie get another episode as she's one of my favourite characters! :) I do wonder what her boyfriend is like, I get the feeling he will probably be a massive jerk (not towards Maud thankfully, but rather just one in general)

3. MERciless_Ostrich

MERciless_Ostrich Active Pony

Starting time is 4pm UK time right?

4. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

It's 4:30 I thought.

5. MERciless_Ostrich

MERciless_Ostrich Active Pony

Yeah it seems to be that way now that I've had a look at a few places, thanks.

6. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

Pinkie does have 2 other sisters you know.

Why does it always have to be Maud?

I'd love a Limestone Pie episode personally.

7. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

Well now...

Pinkie Pie was kind of a jerk this episode.

Just Stick guy was kinda annoying but for most part she seemed really unreasonable.

On the plus side we did see Limestone so it gets points for that..

Not one of the stronger episodes honestly.

Oh hey a new intro.

8. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Technically...

It wasn't a bad episode, but I think the thing with Nick Confalone episodes is that, while he's a good writer who comes up with entertaining dialogue, he doesn't always get the characters and tone perfect - or at least not how I expect it to be.

So I think Maud's character was over-the-top here, for example with the jokes at the beginning and only Pinkie laughing at them... it crosses the line between Maud being a misunderstood pony who Pinkie happens to have a way of understanding and seeing her true worth, to Pinkie being kind of delusional about her. It's a subtle one.

But those things aside it was a decent enough episode. Would rewatch.

9. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Technically... not a bad episode, but not great either...

I love the new intro sequence, I actually ended up watching it a couple of times. :p

Maud seemed a little bit "Flanderised" in this episode. I know she's always been portrayed as deadpan and stoic, but she has shown a humorous side, at least once. ("You're the most basic of jokes.")

They couldn't have used "coltfriend" or something instead of "boyfriend"? :p

Starlight did a decent job trying to smooth things over and keep the peace when Pinkie was freaking out a bit.

Pinkie's "opposite mane 6" was a great bit, I genuinely cracked up at Twilight's "I never learned to read!" at the end of it. :p

I liked Limestone's metaphor using the geode. Not the type of thing I would have expected from her, but hey, it's nice to know that she has a soft, sentimental side too. :) It was great to see Marble again too. :)

But yeah, it's not one of my favourites, but I wouldn't say it's bad either. I think some of it might be that Pinkie often becomes a bit too much for me after a while if an episode focuses heavily on her. :)

Pigasus and Recurrent Trotting like this.
  10. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

Had some cracking laugh out loud moments in this one.

I liked the humour in this. I particulary enjoyed the 'opposite day' scene in which Pinkie Pie gets those illusions of the mane 6 saying the opposite of what they really believe. The script lines for Mudbrier (if that is how you even spell, or pronounce his name) were well planned and executed. He really wound Pinkie Pie up and it was entertaining.

To be honest, I did feel that Mudbrier was supposed to represent a typical character from a major comedy series from elsewhere (although....in his words, "technically", here is no physical proof of this character supposed to be a pony representation of someone, just in case the solicitors were watching) and I question where the originality has gone. However, it made for an enetrtaining 20 mins or so and I enjoyed it. Provided some good laughs and did what it said on the tin, in a metaphorical sense as technically there is no physical tin here.

Oh and yea, those new openinig titles with Wonderbolt Rainbow Dash and the added characters. Loved it.

11. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

The new intro is canon then
    Fun episode nice to see lime and marble back. Is it just me or did it look like they are trying new camera angles, I really liked the new approach.

12. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

It was alright I guess

First of all, the new intro is fantastic! I love how it shows how it shows how the mane six have evolved with their careers throughout the series and it generally looks very pretty as well

Anyway as for the episode, it was great seeing Maud again as she's one of my favourite characters. I don't really like Mudbriar though and I find him incredibly annoying. One of the reasons why I like Maud so much is because she's such a great contrast to Pinkie (and even Marble and Limestone as well), Mudbriar I feel though was not really fun to watch. I do like the whole dynamic however since if you remember the first time Maud appeared in Season 4 and how some members of the Mane Six were frustrated with the way Maud acted, and now Pinkie gets that perspective with Mudbriar.

I also loved seeing Marble and Limestone again, and some added characterisation in that she wants a boyfriend and is pretty much jealous of Maud. Weren't that fond of her when she appeared again in Hearthbreakers, but I like her a bit more now.

One more thing as well, that imaginary spot Pinkie has about "opposite day" is so hilariously stupid even by her standards it's hilarious.

In conclusion, it was alright. Step down from the opener though

7/10

13. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Technically:

It didn't blow my mind, but I liked it. I think Maud could definitely have done better in her comedy routine. She's shown more personality bouncing off Discord, Pinkie and Starlight before, so maybe she'd be better in some kind of double act? It did sound a little weird to hear "boyfriend" in Equestria, kinda like hearing "everybody" in Equestria Girls for the first time. But then Shining Armour and Cadence have referred to each other as "husband" and "wife" before, so I guess that figures.

I'm kinda glad they didn't make Mudbriar too much of an actual antagonist, he's more oblivious to how annoying he is. While I think this wasn't the best we've seen of Maud, I don't think she was too out of character. She did spend almost an entire scene openly smiling, which I think speaks volumes about the relationship she's in. We've seen that Pinkie takes it hard and gets very upset when she finds out she's not bringing the joy she hopes to, and while she did freak out a bit, it's still not as bad as she's freaked out before. It was great to see the other two sisters again, but it would've been even better to hear Marble contribute to that conversation. Unlike in Hearthsbreakers, she was only around her sisters, so that shyness seemed excessive. It would've been nice to see her finish Limestone's analogy when Pinkie didn't get it, maybe. And the whole scene did detract from what would arguably be the better solution; actually talking to Maud about it. Starlight also did a good job of speaking reason, but I can't help thinking that in earlier seasons, it would've been Twilight. That said, Twi does try to be tactful, whereas Starlight has a tendency just to say what she's thinking.

Anyway, good episode. Not bad at all for the first slice of life story this season. I did rather like the new intro, as well, but it might take some getting used to...

vcgriffin and Pigasus like this.
  14. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

A little late, but whatever, ponetime now.

Maud at an open mic night?

Seems like her comedy went over like a rock. Definitely think she's better reacting to others for comedy than dropping jokes like that.

New intro. Nice. I actually kinda wish they would update it every season to reflect changes in the series, but this new one is nice. It would also be nice if we got a new theme to go with it.

Maud being busy that much sounds like it's more a "I don't want to hang out and don't want to hurt your feelings so here's a plausible excuse" kind of thing. It's unlikely, but yeah.

Did Pinkie ever stop the EEEE or did she just keep it up all night?

Granny Smith has a wax museum?

Hah, Starlight has a crossed out = on her wall.

This guy is pretty pedantic. Even I'm with Pinkie on this one.

Boyfriend instead of coltfriend or special somepony? That's kind of unexpected. We need the horse terms.

Sticks at a rock show? There's a PMV for that.

Okay, so, I haven't watched much of Big Bang Theory, but based on the few clips I've seen, I think Mud Briar has a similar voice/speech pattern to...Sheldon? I think that's the character's name.

Starlight doesn't sound too upset that Maud has a boyfriend. Guess that ship has sailed.

So was that magic he was using or pretty visuals not seen in-universe? If it's magic, can other earth ponies do that?

Is this Maud's first boyfriend? Or does Pinkie do this for every boyfriend she gets?

Imaginary Twilight's comment about never learning to read stuck out as the most hilarious one.

So is sister jealousy a common trait among the Pies? What does that love rock have to say about Maud and Mud?

I wonder how they wrangled that many ponies into pretending that Maud was there for a party Maud didn't even need to attend?

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  15. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Wow, that new intro looks amazing. I rather enjoyed seeing Thorax chasing Ember around. It shows how far the Mane 6 have come too.

Maud needs to work on her stand up routine. Come on, we know you can do better that that!

I totally called the annoying pony in the queue being Maud's new boyfriend. It does feel a little weird that out of the characters in the show, Maud is the only one so far to get a canon relationship. Surely stallions would be falling over themselves to win the hearts of Twilight or Rarity.

Mudbriar appears to be the pony form of Sheldon Cooper. He does seem to be a good match for Maud.

That was a reference to Sherlock and his mind palace. We were just seeing his imagination.

It was nice to see Limestone and Marble Pie again. I did see someone else point out that Limestone may have depression given she said she's miserable all the time, but Pinkie only cares about Maud's boyfriend. That's some really good sister friend forever friendship there Pinkie.

This was a pretty amusing episode. It's nice to see a Pinkie episode again. I do enjoy her silliness and freaking out over things, even if she is a bit much for some people.

16. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

But Maud wasn't the first to get a canon relationship. Big Mac and Sugar Belle got together last season.

17. Recurrent Trotting

some nice interactions but not much substance 6.5/10

Pinks, Maud, Limestone and Mudbriar had some good lines. A pony who is a literal stick in the mud is a great bf for Maud :p Twi's ppposite day quote was the best imo

Main drawback is we've already had this message done better and Mudbriar and Maud do not come off as real characters - the cardboard cutout of Maud at the end had as much personality as this Maud . Also I miss the characters that were introduced in e1-2.

18. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Stuck on a phone right now, so a short comment: another entertaining episode, but not one of Nick C's greatest. Pinkie was a bit of a pain in the first act and Maud's comedy routine wasn't her best. Technically, Mudbriar was mildly irritating but worked quite well in the role. Best character was certainly Starlight, though. Nice to see the other Pie sisters again, but I really wish Marble had had some actual lines. Please don't flanderise her so that she never says more than "Mm-hm" even in a setting where no strangers are around.

Recurrent Trotting and Pigasus like this.
  19. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Just got to see this one, and really rather enjoyed it :). More than the premier, it felt to me like Pony is properly back.

Seeing Maud so happy was extremely heartwarming! Great to get more Limestone and Marble time. And I liked Pinkie all the way through, which isn't always the case in her focus episodes.

New intro looks awesome. I'd forgotten it was coming until I was suddenly hit with it :p.

20. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Maud doing stand-up? Yeah, pass...

New opening is nice and refreshing. I'd heard it was coming (hadn't seen it) and hoped it might come with a new song or a remix (I guess when you've watched a few animations with more Japanese origins you end up liking the idea of having a completely new opening and ending every season or so) but still, it's a nice change :)

Ah the "character you just had a spat with is now someone you're supposed to have just met and get along with" trope!

Stick abuse :)

I think we all know someone like this pedantic pony. Quite possibly another brony :p

I liked the geode metaphor, and things like Limestone's change of attitude when she realised a more kind approach was needed. Always nice to see more depth in the Pie family and giving them a good use.

I have some slight issues with the "Maud has finally learned to smile now she has a boyfriend" thing, I'd rather she figured that out independently rather than do the whole "the only way to be happy is with a romantic relationship" thing (and if the show is still trying to do the "strong independent females" feminism-y-thing then I'm not sure this is the right message), but still, it's nice to see her happy.

Nothing special really but no complaints, other than Pinkie's squeaky voice being a general irritation in Pinkie episodes :p

vcgriffin likes this.