1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 4 - Fake It 'Til You Make It

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 4 April 2018.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Air date:
    7 April 2018

Writer: Josh Hamilton

Synopsis: "Fluttershy looks after the Manehattan boutique while Rarity is away. She takes on a series of characters to cope with the intimidating clientele and learns that she was already the best pony for the job just by being herself."

A spoiler warning first: this episode's story forms one of the comics in the 2019 MLP Annual, and the last page of that is in the free preview that's already up on Amazon.co.uk. So be careful! Non-spoilery talk now: at long, long last we get a Fluttershy/Rarity episode again, though I don't know how much screen time they'll have together. I think "Green Isn't Your Color" back in S1 was the last one! :eek: I'm really looking forward to this episode as I think those two ponies make a nice team and it's been waaaaay too long. No word yet on writer(s) as far as I know. Discuss away!

Please use spoiler-cuts until 24 hours after the episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you.

#1 Loganberry, 4 April 2018
    Last edited: 6 April 2018
    GatewaytoGlimmer likes this.
  2. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Looking forward to this one. I think Rares and Flutters have a great chemistry with each other and I liked Green isn't your Colour because of it. Aside from that, I'm not expecting too much, sounds like a typical slice of life style episode.

3. Loganberry

Via EqD, we have news of the writer! It will be Josh Hamilton, who previously wrote "Parental Glideance", "Triple Threat" and "Secrets and Pies". That suggests this episode might feature a fair amount of comedy.

4. Loganberry

This is an immediate reaction after one watch, but frankly I didn't enjoy this one very much. Certainly less than I was hoping...

It was pretty much a rehashed version of "Putting Your Hoof Down" from S2, and that's not a favourite of mine, either. Yes, it was amusing to see Fluttershy going over the top in her dealings with the boutique customers, but after a while it became repetitive to the point of tedium. If she'd adopted several different characters, as the synopsis suggested, I think it might have held my interest better. Also, I was really disappointed Fluttershy and Rarity had so little screen time together, given how rarely they're paired up. And something that really irritated me: it's been canon since Season One that Fluttershy has a "freaky knowledge of sewing", so why did she appear to know nothing at all this time? Back in "Green Isn't Your Color" Rarity showered Flutters with compliments about her poise etc before going into modelling, yet this time she asked huge numbers of people before going to 'Shy at all? There were some fun things ("rodents" and the shop customers) but they weren't enough. Maybe I'll like this better on a rewatch, but as things stand I'm quite disappointed. One last thing: leather is canon in FiM. Eep.

Pigasus likes this.
  5. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

And I thought Pinkie Pie episodes were confusing.

I'm in agreement Loganberry and almost certainly with the rest of the fandom in saying this is just a rehash of 'Putting your Hoof down.' Just with Multiple Personality Disorder. But I did enjoy that episode when it first came out and I also love seeing exerts from it now. It's the same with this. I like it now and I'm sure I will be re-watching exerts of this episode. I especially loved the joke at the end when rarity is forced to fire all 3 versions of Fluttershy.

Would I have liked to have seen more personalities, of course I would have. Each one shown is a great contradiction to Fluttershy's normal persona. And I'm sure I will also enjoy reading all the fanfics about these personalities talking to each other and others emerging. The fan made comics are going to be especially amusing.

6. GatewaytoGlimmer

I thought it was entertaining to watch

As I said earlier in this thread, I was pleased to see another episode with Shy and Rares in the main two roles. But I was a bit disappointed to see that the two didn't have that much screen time together. I did love all three of Fluttershy alternate personas and how pretty she looked <3 I did also like how she was more confident and assertive but it went on for a bit much. It's a generic idea but I think it might have been a bit better if they toned down the assertiveness and maybe have it as like the pony customers wanted to see Fluttershy instead of Rarity once the latter was finished with her fashion show. Saying that, I did like Pinkie's characterisation and how she seem to be the most shocked out of the mane six about how Fluttershy was acting. Best joke of the episode though was definitely Rarity firing all 3 versions of Fluttershy :D

So overall, I liked it. I understand people saying it felt like a rehash of Putting your hoof down (which I don't disagree with), but it was done a lot better. I give it a 7/10

7. sten whik

sten whik Space

Thank Celestia it wasn't another Fluttershy Leans In 7.8/10
    Sure the conflict in the plot didn't actually get a happy resolution (Rarity ended up having to abandon her show and despite an apology Fluttershy didn't actually deal with her issues) and it felt a bit rushed but it was funny and introduced a new trait to Fluttershy's character that can be creatively reused later. I agree that they could have given her more personalities as they didn't really fit in the middle part with the other customers.

Flutter's knitting skills is yet another nail of the hundreds already in "the comics are canon" coffin.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  8. Recurrent Trotting

first part of the ep 8.5/10 :D haven't laughed so much at pony for a while go Andrea!
    the good the voices aah the voices. It was great to see Flutters play all these different characters

the jokes :p pony taking the mick out of sassy / surfer / goth pony were all great fun

the flaw - playing a character is absolutely what some shy people do, including famous ones like Simon Amstell (who I <3). So getting a fresh and authentic shy problem from Flutters was great to see

the bad

everything that happened after about 12 mins in and the set up was done. Sheesh talk about going OTT to drive the point home that Flutters had gone too far. Who do they think the audience are, lil kids :p yeah it was hammed up to heck with Flutters going completely feral and needing a friendship intervention. If only a shy fashion aware Manehattenite who knows the Mane 6 might have provided some valuable help to Flutters here... *cough* Coco *cough* As it was Flutters was acting as if Discord had corrupted her. All we needed was a bucket

your face 2.jpg

Robshi, Mane25, Pigasus and 1 other person like this.
  9. GatewaytoGlimmer

Another thing I forgot to mention. Andrea's performance in this episode was brilliant!

Mane25 likes this.
  10. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Not amazing, but another enjoyabe episode

I enjoyed it about as much as last week's, Maybe just a bit more. I did find it a bit strange that Fluttershy seemed clueless depite her knowledge of sewing, but I assumed it was either that she had a techinal knowledge of sewing rather than a knowledge of the fahion industry, or that she lost her confidence in it when faced with customers. Having ponies look to her for expertise is slightly different from standing up for herself. I also thought it was strange that Rarity would ask Fluttershy last, unless she forsaw that. Even so, I can't imagine many of the others handling it much better. I was surprised that there was no mention of Coco, though. Not even an excuse for why she couldn't be there.

Fluttershy's characters were relatively fun, but I suppose there could've been more of them. I did like the detail that snooty Fluttershy had the same mane and tail style as the Rarity who served under/worked for Nightmare Moon in one of the season 5 finale's alternate timelines, intentional or not. For Fluttershy, it seems it became more about playing these characters than serving customers, she really put a lot of effort into them. Perhaps she felt this was a way to be more outgoing than she usually is.

So it seems she's quite a good actress as well as a singer, and it seems she's been taking lessons from Pinkie in teleportation. I have to wonder if she's hiding any more talents. And am I the only one who, just for a second, thought the model at Rarity's fashion show was Fluttershy?

Robshi likes this.
  11. GatewaytoGlimmer

For a spilt second I thought she was as well. She did look a lot like Flutters!

Candy Yunagi likes this.
  12. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Here we go.

Is that a calmer Angel?

Even Bolder before Flutters? I know Flutters is a poor choice for running a store, but yeah.

Well, that was a tough customer for her first one.

I'm not entirely sure Flutters has issues with shyness so much as social anxiety disorder. Wee bit of a harder thing to conquer.

Wasn't the power posing thing kind of debunked?

It always the new person who gets the weird questions like thread count. Can't expect the newbie to BS a statement so soon.

And then she just BSes her way through it harder than even I do when I get stuck with ridiculous questions at work.

And that Manehattanite needs a punch in the face. Really need people to not have that kind of attitude.

Where is Rarity keeping that watch? Hammerspace? Her butt?

I think Fluttershy has gone to Treknobabble levels of fashion BS.

And her fashionbabble meets resistance.

Hipstershy?

Gothshy is pretty nice.

Snootyshy is not.

Some of her snark is nice, but yeah.

I do like Rarity's switch up like that. From fashion to prioritizing a friend.

So, like, has Pinkie rubbed on Flutters by virtue of sharing a VA? All that teleportation/pseudocloning.

Not sure I dig the Warrior of Inner Strength's hairdo, but the rest is nice.

Episodes dealing with Fluttershy's inner workings tend to hit close to home for me. I totally get the adopting of personas for drawing out inner strength. I'm just not sure I could get the personas that far out there that I'm dressing up as them. I also get having a hard time switching out of the personas, as I have a bad habit of taking a while to drop the "aggressive, confident, commanding warrior leader" thing I switch into in multiplayer games.

I wonder how common this is out there in the pony fandom. I know I lean on Steamworks there and my fursona, Aeth, from time to time, especially if I need a confidence/assertiveness boost. I'm assuming such things aren't rare in either brony or furry fandoms.

Mane25 likes this.
  13. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I'm pretty much in agreement with most people here

I hadn't thought of the "Putting Your Hoof Down" comparison myself, but yes, it is literally that episode's central conflict, of Fluttershy putting on an aggressive persona and taking it too far, reused.

Other random thoughts:
    • A pity her knitting's so terrible. And there I was thinking she had a chamber of extreme knitting under her house.
    • Fluttershy really should be displaying some more of her freaky knowledge of sewing.
    • The use of "woke" in an episode. That's aggressively 2010s.
    • Twilight can't help because she's making a curriculum? Nice to see the school hasn't been forgotten.
    • Also, it felt very awkward that Pinkie Pie, Twilight, Rainbow Dash and Applejack all have solid reasons for not coming to help at the start but then they all just drop everything and come to Manehattan later. Was Rainbow Dash's involvement at the end really so crucial that it was worth her missing Wonderbolts training for it?
    • The personas Fluttershy puts on were amusing... to start with.
    • Peter New didn't get a credit for Big Mac.
    Yeah, so this was a potentially fun premise, and it started well, but they took it too far without anything coming along to take the story in a different direction and it kind of fizzled out at the end. As @sten whik said, Fluttershy didn't deal with her issues, which she did in "Putting Your Hoof Down", so this one, while kind of fun, was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Pigasus likes this.
  14. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Cute episode, but not amazing.

Like many other people, I guess I was hoping that Fluttershy and Rarity would have gotten a bit more interaction in this episode. And I would have thought that Fluttershy's "freaky knowledge of sewing" would have come to the surface in this situation, though I'm amused by the fact she said "guacamole" in one of her explanations. :p

Rainbow's "real talk" was good: "You're a small town pony, and your cottage isn't even in the town!" :p

I liked the raccoons' charades to explain the situation to Spike, and the fact that he had no trouble understanding it. The "shock" of Fluttershy calling them "rodents" was a good running joke too. :p

Though I would have thought Fluttershy would have been a bit higher on the list for Rarity to begin with (due to previous episodes establishing that she does have at least some knowledge about sewing and fashion), I did like the fact that Spike and the rest of the mane 6, including Rarity, dropped what they were doing to help her. :)

Probably not an episode I'd watch very often, but I don't think it's necessarily bad either. :)

15. Recurrent Trotting

I hadn't thought of this comparison either... and tbh I think there is a significant difference between the two eps in terms of the feel. Hoof down was about taking assertiveness too far while this one was about fitting in too far. In terms of the kiddy context the difference is particularly significant. The problem here was in the peer pressure arena and for girls this is a real problem, while the assertiveness training in hoof down is more generally about inner self-confidence

16. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Awesome episode
    This felt like a classic episode, I loved the comady gold in it like Rarity asking practically everyone, even Big Mac before Fluttershy.
    I loved Goth and Hipster Fluttershy. Whilst is isnt as good as putting your hoof down it was still great, Fluttershy being mean never gets old.

17. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Yes, I enjoyed this one for the most part.

Pleased to get a Fluttershy episode, I don't know when the last one was off the top of my head but it felt like it was about due.

Fluttershy's characters were very entertaining and Andrea did a particularly good job here. I'm inclined to agree with @abrony-mouse that that element of it was at its best up until about the 12 minute mark... but that wasn't the end of the fun to be had from the episode, the raccoons explanation to Spike and the Mane 6's reaction were all fun. Maybe the ending itself was a bit rushed but overall it was a good episode.

I don't really get the 'Putting Your Hoof Down' comparisons; that was about assertiveness, this was more about confidence. I think they're two different things.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  18. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I found this episode rather enjoyable.

I did enjoy the comedy with Rarity asking everyone else before Fluttershy, and the way she fired all three personas and got shocked by each of their appearances.

I was surprised we didn't see any sign of Coco Pommel in this episode. Wouldn't she be a natural choice for running the shop? Or even appearing as a helper.

Spike is a dragon charades champion? This just makes me want to see him, Ember and Smolder playing charades.

The personas of Fluttershy were fairly amusing, but I think they were a little overused. Other than that, I think the episode was enjoyable enough though. Not a classic, but not bad by any means.

19. Loganberry

<mod hat>No need for spoiler cuts now!</mod hat>

Having now watched the episode again, I've softened a bit towards it. While I still don't love it in the way I was hoping, I do now find it fairly amusing. I think perhaps I was expecting too much from what turned out to be a fun ep rather than anything more emotionally deep. I also think I was letting my disappointment at the dearth of cute RariShy friendshipping moments blind me to some of the episode's more enjoyable aspects, such as the outstanding voice work from Andrea Libman and the surprisingly good supporting role played by the raccoons.

I still feel disappointed with the lack of friendshipping: I'd have much preferred something like what 'Shy and Pinkie did in "Buckball Season". As such, I'm unlikely ever to like this as much as "Green Isn't Your Color" or "Filli Vanilli", the other two Fluttershy/Rarity episodes I can think of. But I've certainly revised my initial dislike to something softer. This is probably now a middling episode for me.

20. Cheese Sandwich

I did enjoyed this episode, more than I did the previous one although I did have one issue but it didn't really detract from my enjoyment.

Starting with the positives, I really enjoyed flutter's different alter ego's in this episode and Andrea Libman did a fantastic job voicing them and making them feel like different characters while still feeling like Fluttershy was embodying them. My favourite of these alter ego's was probably goth Fluttershy, the voice and design of her clothes for this sort of character was spot on.
    I enjoyed the writing of this episode and it had some good funny lines. It would have been easy to write the episode with Fluttershy being incompetent at running the store due to her shyness and lack of confidence and having everything go wrong, but deciding to have her fake confidence by using different alter ego's was an interesting way to take the episode.

My main issue with the episode is that it did feel like a slight retread of Fluttershy's story arc from the season 2 Episode Putting Your Hoof Down, what with her becoming too big for her boots, becoming somewhat mean, upsetting her friends and then eventually learning the error of her ways. You would think that this far into the shows run, she would be able to tell that what she was doing was hurting her friends and not assuming they knew she was just putting on an act. The fact that the end was written so she could learn her lesson and returned to herself, quickly in order to quickly wrap up the episode, makes it feel like it contradicts the point that she's got too deep in to her characters and didn't realise. The only way someone could turn things around so quickly, was if they were aware of what they were doing from the start and not that they were in too deep to notice.

All in all I did enjoy the episode despite it's flaws and it wouldn't be an episode I would skip if I was re-watching the season.
    I'd give this episode a 7/10

#20 Cheese Sandwich, 8 April 2018
    Last edited: 8 April 2018
    Pigasus likes this.