1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 4 - Fake It 'Til You Make It

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 4 April 2018.

1. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

I was quite hopeful for this episode, as I’ve enjoyed Josh Hamilton’s scripts from last seasons (especially “Scerets and Pies”), and in the end I think this was an entertaining slice of Pony. The first half was an awful lot of fun, and as is the consensus, found Rarity’s attempts to find cover the highlight. I was surprised to see the racoons return, and they were probably my least favourite element of “Saddle Row” a couple of seasons ago, but thought they worked well in context. Goth Fluttershy was also brilliant

On the negative side, it wasn’t entirely in character for Fluttershy to so completely lose herself in playing those roles, especially continuing even when the other members of the Mane Six showed up. I see the similarities to “Putting Your Hoof Down”, but don’t think that this was a simple retread - this seemed to be more about Shy not wanting to let down Rarity, than about being assertive. I suppose that she could lose herself so deeply in the roles she created shows how insecure she still is in herself and her own strength of character.

Overall, though, a solid 7.5/10 for me.

2. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Finally got round to watching this one - I found it really quite fun :). Had me chuckling in quite a few places. It lacked a touch of believably with how gone Fluttershy was into her roles, but that was the only real negative for me. The early parts of the episode were super cute too.

Wonderful to see all the goth ponies emerging from the shadows ;). I spotted Inky Rose and Moonlight Raven in there. And 2 Minuettes at the fashion show.

3. F.I.N.E.

F.I.N.E. Less than 50 characters.

I agree there were some “Putting Your Hoof Down” vibes, but not enough to be a serious detraction. One of my favourite bits of the episode was Rarity firing each of the Fluttershy personas one-by-one; I think Fluttershy must’ve been taking fourth-wall breaking lessons from Pinkie Pie!

4. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

I was really enjoying this one at the start, and adored all of Fluttershy's shop pony chars...

... until she started scaring all of Rarity's customers away.

Thinking about it again now, I can't see Fluttershy ever being that mean to animals, even 'in character'. The first time it happened (with her moaning about the tea) I thought she was going to apologise to them to the side once the customer was out of screen but no.

The idea of using characters to cope with a situation did hit home hard for me and I thought this was on track to be one of those best personal episode type things but then everything changed.

Now I really don't know what to think of this one.

5. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

I also say not amazing.