1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 6 - Surf and/or Turf

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 16 April 2018.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Air Date: 21st April, 2018

Synopsis: The Cutie Mark Crusaders try to help a young hippogriff with family members on Mount Aris and seapony relatives in Seaquestria figure out where he belongs.

I'm pretty hyped for this one. I've seen a couple screen caps from this episode on the MLP wiki, and it looks like this might be a Twilight and CMC episode. :D Also, seaponies! :p

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate under 24 hours after this episode has aired on Discovery Family.

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Looking forward to this one! I've managed to avoid spoilers (this is a leaked episode) but the non-spoilery comments I've seen have been encouraging. Also, new writer! According to Nicole Dubuc on Twitter, it'll be Brian Hohlfeld. He has quite a substantial animation career behind him, including developing Transformers: Rescue Bots with Jeff Kline and... Nicole Dubuc!

The tweet from Nicole Dubuc is under a cut, as it includes a thumbnail of the episode's animatic:

3. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

I lost count how many times I watched the leaked version back then

4. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

Well I was smart enough to not watch the leaks, so here's a review.
    I don't know why but I seemed to spend the entire time pointing out the problems. Maybe it's simply a case of nothing really stood out from this episode. Except the song. That was good.

5. Loganberry

Proper review coming later, but I absolutely loved this. Easily my favourite episode of S8 so far, and a potential classic in my book.

Yes, okay, I'm totally and utterly biased about Scootaloo's happiness at swimming being like flying. That pretty much made my heart melt. The hippogriffs were much nicer than I'd expected, and Terramar was a fun character, plus the whole "divorced parents" analogy was quite cleverly done. I really liked the song, too. Very little I disliked, and nothing of any importance. I will absolutely, definitely, be watching this again. Probably multiple times.

Oh, and... *hippogriff screech* is a new favourite sound. :p

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  6. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I found this episode delightfully charming. :)

I guess Mount Aris was a way of straining friendship among ponies... :p

Though it's true that the CMC probably aren't quite old enough to travel so far without a responsible adult with them, I loved how Twilight tagged along with that permission slip and her thinly veiled "research" excuses. I guess she really needed a break. :p I liked how she left the "map problem" up to them to find and solve, but yet provided moral support and a friendly ear to listen when they needed it.

It was cute how she excitedly showed off her trophy and the excitement she showed at various activities. :D

It was awesome to see her in seapony form again, with the addition of the CMC as seaponies as well. Scootaloo was adorable as she enjoyed "flying" underwater, and a definite highlight to the episode for me. :D

Terramar was a great character, and I felt sorry for him when he thought he had to make a final decision over which place to live. I'm glad he realised that he could just continue going between them as he pleases and that both his parents love and care for him. :)

The hippogriffs were awesome in general. The young hippogriffs in the background (not sure if I should call them foals or hatchlings... :p ) were cute. And I love that screech sound. :D

So, yeah, really enjoyed this one. Good song too. :)

Danishbrony2011 and Mane25 like this.
  7. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Best of the season so far, I think

It was interesting to see them handle a heavily implied divorce/separation, and the effect that can have on a son (in this case). They do seem to be on good terms, which is something, since I was kinda expecting a confrontation. I don't really have the experience to comment any further on that, though.

I did like how they used the CMC to exteralise Terramar's inner conflict. I was hit with the feels a bit when seapony Scootaloo got to basically fly underwater. And it was really nice that Twilight got to be a seapony without the dark cloud hanging over her head like she had in the movie. That song was pretty good, although I think it escalated very quickly to "Never talk to me again!". And with the Hearts as Strong as Horses background being shattered, no less. They don't quite seem young/immature enough to say things like that over trivial matters, and it seemed a bit much for them to take that much issue with each other over that, especially after a few years together. But then, I also think we haven't really seen them argue in a while, and it's inevitable that will happen eventually.

It may have been my imagination, but I don't think everygriff (interesting word, I have to wonder if other races use similar,or if that their pony halves talking) had a piece of the orb. I have to wonder if not all can transform because there wasn't enough to go around, if some chose not to have it, and if the young were thought too irresponsible to handle it. I also spent the whole time wondering if there was any reason it shouldn't have been Silverstream in that position, until it finally dawned on me that, spending a significant amount of time in the school of Friendship, that dilema wouldn't really work.

And they missed another opportunity for a shoo be doo...

8. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Let's do this.

Buttglow hype from the CMC.

And we're getting to visit a movie location. Let's see if it's been cleaned up any.

Equestria is pretty quick at establishing rail connections.

AB hyping her sister. Can't fault her for that one.

Also can't fault Scoots for being direct.

The split in their society is fairly interesting. Let's see if it has any greater impact on society.

Also, it looks pretty nice now that it's rebuilt.

Hippogriffs being proud to be hippogriffs is only expected after having to be seaponies for who knows how long.

A stein of salmon juice? I'm not sure that sounds good.

CMC are a little too hype over their map mission.

Is this a divorce episode?

I definitely like the movie version of seapony Twi to this one.

Scoots is so terribly ecstatic over this. Sweetie Bell sounds too much like Rarity.

Hee, Scoots is so happy and absolutely loving it in the song.

Scoots won that one, but Sweetie and Scoots didn't need to end it like that.

AB was kind of way oversimplifying that one.

Pretty much the expected result, but still pretty great.

9. Recurrent Trotting

not a great ep but it introduced seaponies and hippogriffs

main problem was that the resolution was ridiculously obvious and rushed even by pony standards, the new character Terramar and his 'problem' felt very thin and the CMC's approach to solving the problem by rating both places for themselves and not for Terramar didn't make sense given how many times the show has emphasised seeing things from the perspective of others

seaquestria and mount Aris were good (but seaquestria was better), the seapony oyster homes were neat and the interaction of the different wildlife with the characters was a great touch - sassy fish vs seagulls :D also the hippos were well animated I thought, although foal seaponies don't quite look right.

just realised that the glowing cutie marks are literally a plot device :p
    loved that too :D the background stuff in this ep was top notch

just a shame I didn't like the foreground so much this time :(

I got the divorce/separation vibe too and was a bit irked by it tbh since the ep was nothing to do with that.

For a few reasons I think it'd have been much better if it had been Terramar's friends that preferred living in one or the other place and then there could have been an argument between them about which was better which the CMC could have helped solve. That way the separation issue wouldn't arise, Terramar and his problem would be more developed and the resolution would have felt less tacked on and obvious

#9 Recurrent Trotting, 22 April 2018
    Last edited: 22 April 2018
    Danishbrony2011, Robshi and Nsxile like this.
  10. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Pretty good I thought!

People mentioned Scootaloo, but Sweetie Belle was great in this as well, her reaction to Seaquestria in contrast to Scootaloo's enthusiasm made it for me. "I have some serious field twirling to do".

Song is appreciated. They could have used Apple Bloom a bit more maybe to help with the resolution - just so she has a role in the episode if nothing else. But that's minor.

Agree with @abrony-mouse on the main problems though, the resolution was obvious somehow even before the problem was identified. So I guess there's not a lot of substance but I enjoyed it still; I tend to be biased towards CMC episodes. It was all about the characters rather than the overall story, so I guess you could treat it as a slice-of-life type episode, even though it looks like an adventure episode.

Yeah, I was actually half thinking that, well, if they couldn't do it in the film maybe they could sneak it in here, but it looks like it's not going to happen unfortunately. :p

Danishbrony2011 and Robshi like this.
  11. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Another adorable CMC episode!

I don't really agree with everyone gushing and saying this is the best episode of the season so far. It was enjoyable, but I agree with @abrony-mouse in that the problem was a very thin one, and too easily resolved. If this was a way to address the whole divorced parents issue I can see children not really taking too much from the message. Then again it can be a very complicated problem and I don't really have any experience with the issue.

I did enjoy Sweetie Belle rushing off to see the Harmonic Heights and twirling around with delight, and Scootaloo getting excited at "flying" was sweet to see. I also enjoyed Sweetie Belle's lack of enthusiasm with her comments regarding Seaquestria. A shame she missed out "lack of shoo be doo". :p

The Equestrian rail service does work fast, and the Hippogriffs rebuilt their home rather quickly. I can only assume more time has passed then it feels to us, since Twi has set up a school between this episode and the movie. Plus this show has had winter precede autumn before now.

It seems Twilight didn't stress out over not helping with the friendship problem, unlike a certain other time involving Starlight and a couple of royal ponies. I liked her extensive research... I guess she just wanted a change of scenery, and to stop Applejack spoiling things by being too overprotective again.

I do hope the Hippogriffs screeching contest went better than this:

Now lets shoo be doo shoob shoob be doo onto the next episode! ;)

12. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Loved it! As others have said, it's definitely the best episode of Season 8 so far.

First of all, it's nice to see Seaquestria and Mount Aris again and that they continue to build on what was shown in the movie. Mount Aris looks beautiful as well! I really liked the Crusaders' characterisation in this, it's adorable seeing them so excited when their cutie marks are glowing, but also down to the fact they have come far as characters, with the whole concept of the Cutie Map debut before they even gotten them! I love Terramar as well, He's an awesome character and I think his dilemma of having to essentially pick between his parents (or I go an interpretation of that anyway) is one that is really hasn't been explored in kid's shows. The only thing is though is that his parents still get along together, but still getting along together, which I really liked as their implying they've split up but still are on good grounds with each other. The song (I forget its name :p) as well was fantastic and I noticed that Maddy Peters no longer does Scootaloo's singing voice, which is a bit of a shame, but I do like her new singer as well!

The only somewhat major flaw I found with the episode is that Applejack telling her sister it was her defeating the Storm King seemed out of character for her (unless Apple Bloom was lying herself). And that Breakfast Club reference at the end was so cheesy! And I think it's the first time a real song has been featured in MLP as well?

As a side note, I could not for the life of me find a decent quality video and had to make do with something that was cropped, mirrored, had no background music and was sped up. So I'll watch it again when a decent version comes out.

Overall though, it gets a 9. And as I said, I loved it!

13. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

I know it's past 24 hours, but will spoil as this does contain movie spoilers, and I don't want to spoil anything in event someone hasn't seen it yet.

It was a great episode. Loved how they went back to Mount Aris and showed the improvement of seeing it rebuilt. Seaquestria is also cool. Oh my gosh, the CMCs were sooooo cute as seaponies!

Cloudane likes this.
  14. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Mixed feelings about this one.

At an intellectual level I don't have an argument against people saying it's the best of the series so far, but at an emotional level I'm not really feeling it. In fairness I'm not sure any other Series 8 episodes were better than this one, it's just that it didn't really resonate with me (if that's the right word). It was... fine. Also, since I'm not a child and my parents are both still together it's maybe just that I'm not the target audience for this one. And that's fine.

Now that we've got that out of the way onto the meat of this episode:

[​IMG]

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how odd this causeway is. Why didn't they connect it to the pre-existing islands/ peninsulas? Why did they only build a single track railway along it? Why not a double track? Why not a pedestrian path down the side? Why are there no fences to prevent people walking alongside it? It's just a really strange piece of civil engineering, that's all I'm saying. And it can't have been cheap. Presumably Celestia's government funded it to help rebuild the Mount Aris economy.

[​IMG]

There's a really off looking piece of animation here where it looks like Twilight and the CMC do their standard walk cycle while their flash puppets are bounced down the stairs. It makes me appreciate how fluid the animation in this show usually is.

I'm totally with the CMC when they ask if the map couldn't be more specific in its friendship quests. It seems that when people go on one they bump into the right ponies through luck.

People have mentioned how awesome Scootaloo's "This must be just like flying!" line is when she starts swimming underwater. And yes, it is awesome. But just as awesome for me was that the writers have finally remembered Sweetie Belle's aptitude for music in her appreciation of Harmonizing Heights. It's been far too long since that's been mentioned.

Also, welcome Arielle Tuliao as the new singing voice of Scootaloo. I wonder why Madeleine Peters isn't singing for her any more.

Mane25, Robshi and Recurrent Trotting like this.
  15. Recurrent Trotting

strangest comment ever :p wouldn't canterlot be siller though? I mean where's the counter weight to all the stone away from the mountain? D:

[​IMG]
    I thought hard how to turn counter weight and canterlot into a pun but there was nothing I could do *spikeface*
    omg you saw that too! it was pretty bad. Sometimes the ponies do this funny prancing trot which isn't quite right and is totally different to that nice natural haunchy trot they do - in Pinkie's smile-song you get the haunchy trot usually but you also see the prancing trot in the two-tone cuts; more trotting in these silly pmvs here and here). Anyway the prancing trot is fine in small doses but sometimes Twi over-does it and it gets grating, and in that scene she not only did it too long but also into the camera and it felt like frames were missing and eugh

16. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I really enjoyed this one too. Apart from that dodgey walk cycle down the stairs, the whole episode just gave me the feeling I was watching something high quality :). Particularly the background score. Overall just really sweet and sincere. The new added lore of the Griffins/Sea Ponies was the icing on top.

Danishbrony2011 and CuldeeFell like this.
  17. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Yeah, it wasn't an entirely serious comment. I'm well aware that if I take the world of MLP to pieces it all falls apart.

18. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Well... we know it's the end of the line, and probably a small community, so maybe it's a branch off a main line and a single track is all they need. Also, not much need for a pedestrian path when all the residents can fly and/or swim.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  19. Loganberry

Also, it's a North American show, and railway tracks generally aren't rigidly fenced off in NA the way they are in the UK. Look how often you see a fashion ad in US publications that has a model standing right on a line -- something that would never be allowed over here.

(Admittedly I've never seen a hippogriff on a UK railway. :p )

20. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Fair point.