1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 7 - Horse Play

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 23 April 2018.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Air Date: 28th April 2018

Synopsis: Twilight Sparkle casts Princess Celestia in her play, only to discover Celestia's talents lie elsewhere.

This should certainly be an interesting one. :D

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after this episode has aired on Discovery Family.

#1 Bridle Timeout, 23 April 2018
    Last edited: 23 April 2018
  2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Celestia fan that I am, I'm really looking forward to this one. With "A Royal Problem" last season, and now this, it seems we Tia fans are finally getting some love from the show. :)

Also, writer news! It's another newcomer: Kaita Mpambara. I don't think I've previously watched anything by him, but there's confirmation from Nicole Dubuc in this tweet -- spoiler-cut as it includes a still from the animatic:

Kaita Mpambara has a public LinkedIn profile which includes his short biography. No spoilers in it, though it does suggest that he's written more than one episode for FiM:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kaita-mpambara-546a6912

3. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

Yay an episode featuring Celestia :) . Looked forward to this, definitely one of those 'how are they gonna get outta this' sort of episode that I found enjoyable.

So, great to see Celestia with more of a feature. One of my fav characters so definitely one to watch if you're a Celestia fan.

It got straight to the point and was a fun storyline, yea you can pretty much guess after Celestia is asked to play herself how this is going to turn out. However, what I wasn't expecting was just how funny Sunbutt was when she started performing her lines, in particular the quiet ones.

Yep, as you can imagine, Twi trying to cover up Celestia's acting and pretend everything is OK, given the fact Celestia rules Equestia being a princess n'all that, with AJ encouraging her to be honest about it.

(Twilight)

(Starlight)

So, with Rainbow Dash telling the entire world about the play and producing a mass audience, Celestria's acting causing mayhem, and Pinkie Pie letting off the odd unsafe firework here and there, the play looks set for disaster.

Can our mane 6 make the play a sucess without hurting Celestia's fellings about her acting and being honest with her? That tasks proves a challenge for Twily.

I enjoyed this one. I have to say my favourite bit in this was the prep talk Celestia gave Fluttershy when she took over the role of playing as Celestia in the play. It was really heartwarming. Great to see a regal Fluttershy too :)

Imaginative story with all the elements that make an enjoyable MLP episode part way through the series.

4. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

I am actually rather proud of myself. When the episodes were leaked (including this one), I avoided the temptation to watch it. So, now that I filled the 10 characters obligation, lets do a quickie.

It is hard to compare Celestia episodes seeing as there are so few of them (this one may not even count), but I did enjoy it. For the most part. Whilst it is always nice to learn more about Celestia, I cringe so hard at any episode of any show where the main character just seems so clueless. It really does hurt. Also Celestia, your answer to disaster is always "Get Twilight to do it". Don't deney it.

Applejack though I feel has now redeemed herself from 'Grannies gone wild'. Just her continuously having to remind Twilight to tell the truth felt rather satisfying at the end. And it is always great to see Fluttershy playing Celestia. I'm preety sure she's next up for Alicorn ascension. And unlike Twilight's ascension, I will be 100% behind it. True I wish she would be the only Princess, but I have to comprimise with the staff somehow.

5. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

That.Was.Amazing. 10/10

6. Loganberry

For the second week in a row, I enjoyed myself hugely. :D

I suspect this episode may divide opinion. If you don't like seeing characters being stupid for the sake of comedy, some of what happens here may rankle. I don't mind a bit of cringy silliness sometimes, though, so I thought it was a whole lot of fun. It was great to see a true Celestia-focused episode ("A Royal Problem" was wonderful but she was very much a co-star) and there were some interesting dynamics between her and Twilight. Talking of which, welcome back Trollestia! How we have missed thee.

Applejack was solid in her straight mare role, trying to get Twi just to be honest, and I quite liked the acting coaches too. (Raspberry Beret's VA wasn't credited, but Big Jim says it was Andrea Libman.) Naturally, and I admit to being completely biased, seeing "Princess Fluttershy" on stage was a huge plus as well. There wasn't much I didn't like, though Pinkie's line about the fireworks really did seem forced and so not as funny as it should have been.

Also, note Luna's less-than-amused face when Celestia raises the sun at night! :D

7. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Loved this one. :D

This episode was a lot of fun pretty much all the way through.

There were so many little bits that were brilliant, I'm probably gonna forget to list some of them:
    - "Big Bertha" (that big party cannon Pinkie rolled out)
    - The running joke of Pinkie doing something that destroys the set.
    - Celestia using the Royal Canterlot Voice! :D (It was only one line, but seriously, I loved that.)
    - Fluttershy saying "Once you get past the crippling stage fright, the rest is easy!"
    - 'Tia's first attempt at acting
    - And Tia taking the acting lessons, completely missing the point of a lot of the exercises.
    - AJ's repeated suggestion that Twi should tell the truth.
    - That conversation where Twi apologised to Celestia and they talked things out was very sweet. I'm sure it devastated Twi to know that she hurt somepony that she's looked up to pretty much all her life with her angry rant, just as much as it hurt Celestia to hear it.
    - "But you're not a princess princess" Sheesh Starlight. :p
    - Spike's one liners. "Hey, there's free food"
    - An outline of Trixie's head appeared briefly when the fireworks went off. :p
    - Was awesome to see Fluttershy play Celestia again. And the pep talk the real Celestia gave her to get over her stage fright was very sweet.
    - Loved when Celestia raised the actual sun so the play could go on. (Luna didn't seem so amused by it though. :p )
    - Loved the little prank she did at the end. :p

I really enjoyed this one, as I like it when Celestia gets some screen time, and I also liked this episode that did a lot to explore the friendship between her and Twilight.

8. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Really fun episode

This felt like it could've been a season 1 or 2 episode, if not for Celestia and Starlight being there. Classic Twilight freak outs, relatively simple conflict/moral, a simple soution that's overlooked without making Twilight look out of character, and Applejack being the voice of reason. It makes sense that she still idolises Celestia, and probably always will, but at least she didn't fear she be banished to the moon, like she would've when she was Celestia's student. I also liked how Rainbow Dash accidentally ruined their plan to cancel the show, without her ego being the reason. And Pinkie being Pinkie, as always.

I liked this side of Celestia. We've seen the majestic, royal princess, and we've seen the troubled pony, dealing with the guilt of having had to banish her own sister. We have seen hints of the fun, playul side, but this is the first time it's been explored. Her enthusiasm, being quite down to earth and the adorably bad acting were all great to see. I have to wonder if spending all those years appearing regal and stoic somewhat shut down creativivity, and her capacity to act in a play like that, though one could argue she acts every day in a royal capacity. She seemed to have some potential, or at least understand the concepts, so I wonder if she could've got there, given more time. Or it could be that she was better suited to a backstage role. It was also nice to see her dissapointed/upset without being deeply troubled.

It seemed a bit dangerous to literally raise the sun for the sake of a show, but things seemed okay after the day/night cycle was interrupted in Friendship is Magic, The Return of Harmony and Twilight's Kingdom, so it's probably fine. Fluttershy actually looked really good as Celestia, and it was nice to see her stage fright hasn't been ignored. She felt okay narrating, but it still troubles her to be in a lead role. Despite that, it's something she can deal with given just a bit of encouragement, rather than being totally overwhelming.

And I would've liked to have seen Trixie stall for time when Twilight went after Celestia. I think she would've enjoyed that.

9. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Mixed feelings about this one

I like the fact we have another episode focusing on Celestia, and also that we get to see an secondary interest from her as well (what with her being keen on acting). I feel though the idea of the play about how Celestia started raising the sun (and how Luna raises the moon) would have been a better idea for its own episode if it wasn't set out as a in universe play. I think it's a good idea on paper to do a backstory via a play though but I would have done something else for some other pony. Another thing I liked as well is how non serious and cheery Celestia is, and the fact towards the end of the episode we saw a glimpse of Trollestia again :D

However I just couldn't bare watching some of the Mane Six in this episode. I liked Fluttershy, could tolerate Rarity and Rainbow Dash but watching Applejack's frustration, and Twilight's arrogance such as at the start of rehearsals exclaiming the play was hers just made it hard to watch. And I've gotta be honest, I hated watching Pinkie as well like at the end when she buys the fireworks off Trixie reminded me why I don't like her in episodes where she isn't the main focus. And Spike largely being the butt monkey and having to deal with the crowd by himself was awful and I expect better from the Mane Six. And this isn't something I disliked as much, but I though Tia raising the sun for the play was odd, I actually first guessed the sun was meant to be raised then, but hosting a play at probably 6AM is pretty odd. I did like Fluttershy playing Celestia though, she did a great job!

But yeah I'm not a fan of this one. Not the worst MLP episode I've seen, and not even in the top 10, but it's definitely the worst of Season 8 so far

I'll give it a 5/10

Cloudane likes this.
  10. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

All showered up, time to greet the princess

1111 anniversary? This means she was upwards of 100 when she banished Nightmare Moon.

Prancing pony princess. I think that's the first time we've seen her truly excited.

I wonder if Tia's experience with being too busy with her studies influenced her to push Twi away from just staying stuck in books all the time.

Huh, I thought Fluttershy was working on the stage fright thing, what with the Pony Tones and all that.

Big Bertha? I think Firebrand's Party Howitzer has competition.

Now we just need Twi and Cadance to throw out the royal Canterlot voice.

Tia's vocal delivery reminds me of Discord's bit in one of those "Donut Steel" trailers for some reason.

Surely Twi could've found better acting coaches than improv ponies for Tia.

"The sun is just like a burning marshmallow!"

Back alley fireworks are always the correct choice.

That looks like classic freakout Twi.

I'm also not sure whether Twi or Tia is the more hurt one in this mess.

So are we seeing another Fluttersona being born?

Luna is not amused at this intrusion on her beautiful night.

So maybe the acting lessons did pay off.

11. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Fun episode
    But they made Celestial seem a bit too stupid

12. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

It's been 24 hours so I'll just go in without spoiler tags. It was a fun episode... unfortunately I kept finding faults with it but I think maybe I was taking it too seriously, so I should rewatch it before I bore you all by listing them all - there was plenty I enjoyed so I hope to have a better experience with the second watch.

13. Recurrent Trotting

by Clestia's beard! this was a cute Tia centric ep which used a familiar character to give us all something new 8/10

the good
    Tia taking charge was just brilliant :3 it was a homage to every season of pony and it suited Tia's character so well. This is the self-aware pony that I love in the comics. I melted at Tia + Flutters, it was a beautiful moment.

The meh
    Twilight was demoted to a secondary character this ep and this is not a role she excels in generally. She came off as obvious and ham-hoofed

Tia being terrible at acting actually does not fit her character as per A Royal Problem, since putting on a show and a positive public face is clearly something Princessy/royal. All our current Royal Family do is act atm....

AJ being honest was too obvious, but then kiddies do need things rubbing in :p

14. Loganberry

Someone on Fimfiction (can't remember who, sorry) suggested a reason for this: the Centipede's Dilemma. The trope is that a centipede can walk perfectly well as long as it does it on autopilot, but if it starts actually thinking about all those legs it gets tangled up and falls over in a heap.

I think this works for Celestia. She's been doing diplomatic and royal duty stuff for over a thousand years. She can do it pretty much on instinct by now. As such, that kind of "acting" comes totally naturally to her. However, she doesn't have experience in stage acting, so here she was actually consciously thinking about it -- and fell over in a heap. :p

15. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Good episode. I welcome our new princess overlord... Fluttershy!

Seriously was a good episode, Pinkie's sun attempts were hilarious. Loved the role Celestia played in the end with the actual sun, and had a part in the play after all.

Cloudane and Recurrent Trotting like this.
  16. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

That was fun, but two things...

1. Is Celestia raising the sun for the show her doing pretty much what she refused to do in Twilight’s request at the start of the movie?

2. If “antidisestablishmentarianism” is a word in Equestria, does that make nineteenth-century debates on church government canon? I’ve gone with yes, and developed some crazed head canon as a result...[\spoiler]

17. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Never mind Surf and/or Turf, I think this is the best episode of Season 8 so far. It's nice we're getting focus on Celestia again to follow up A Royal Problem from last season and this highlighted her relationship with Twilight quite nicely. It also helped that this episode had a lot of hilarious moments since I fell in love with this show for its humour.

Celestia looked adorable prancing around in excitement over the play. It's nice to learn about one of her interests. Her acting made me laugh too, especially seeing her version of the Royal Canterlot voice. It was a little odd seeing her sit like Lyra during the acting lessons. Then there's this scene:

"Twilight, you totally got what I was emoting right?"
    *Twitch* "Yeah!"
    "Now that's the best acting we've seen all day."

I felt rather sorry for Spike being thrown out to the baying crowd. You have Rainbow Dash who does professional air shows and loves to show off, Rarity who enjoys performing and being dramatic, and you entertain the crowd by having Spike juggle. *facehoof*

It's official, Pinkie's help can be a danger to other ponies. Particularly with Trixie approved fireworks. :p

Wow, Twilight really snapped in this one. That roaring groan was quite something.

I also wondered why Celestia saved the play by raising the sun and doing something she admonished Twilight for suggesting at the start of the movie. Then again, Luna did not look impressed by that stunt and I'm sure she had a few choice words for her sister after the play.

My biggest problem with the episode though was finding a video of it in decent quality! I ended up watching an animatic or unfinished version with no music and limited sounds. Hearing Twilight pop whenever she teleported was funny though. Thankfully it didn't ruin the episode for me, and it gives me an excuse to rewatch it once higher quality versions become more readily available. This episode was fantastic. :D

18. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

• Onesversary, okay how silly :p I'd go to it wearing a onesie. Well it gives us another bit of an idea of how long she's been around and how young they were when Luna was banished (like, wow, she's been away most of their lives)
    • Celestia getting excited was a delight :D And Nicole channelled Zoe (LPS) a bit there.
    • "Theatre brings out a special form of friendship" - ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Calling it, she's going to be a terrible actress (yes I called it, it was super obvious)
    • Finally some Flutters, after a couple of episodes without.
    • lol, Twilight isn't a "princess princess" :p
    • Flutters is a good narrator
    • Royal Canterlot Voice returns!
    • It must be hard for a voice actor to pretend to be bad at acting
    • AJ was doing good in her honesty role here, if only Twi would actually listen...
    • Antidisestablishmentarianism isn't a word I was expecting to hear in MLP
    • Lol, blowing Twilight's horn out when it was on fire
    • Mad Celestia was mad. Kind of sad to see when she gets angry at Twi.
    • However, a nice heart to heart between them to make things better and really highlight their friendship.
    • Flutters is best princess (and very pretty with it too!)
    • Audience character sounded a lot like Steven Magnet
    • Trollestia is back! She's a good actress when she's trolling :p

Yes I liked this one. Always nice to see Celly a bit more involved, and more of her "down to Ponyville" side.

19. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Not said anything about this one yet, so have some random thoughts:
    • 1111 years is an interesting number to add to the worldbuilding. It means Celestia and Luna only ruled together for about 100 years or so before The Incident.
    • Also, if Starswirl was there at the start of the Princesses' reign, he can't have been there when Luna was banished. Another strike against the Reflections arc (which I'm still desperately trying to make fit into canon).
    • This pose is weird:
    [​IMG]

:D

Good point. I hadn't noticed that, but, yeah, it pretty much is.

Overall, decently fun episode but not the best. Nice to see a bit more of Celestia, and the conversation when she and Twilight go off flying together was nice, but that was about it for me in this one.

20. Loganberry

And Discord's reign has to be fitted into that time, too. I can't help feeling the timescale is a little short, considering the flashbacks we've seen don't suggest very inexperienced rulers at the time they beat Discord.