1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8, Episode 9 - Non-Compete Clause

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 10 May 2018.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Air date:
    12 May 2018

Writer: Kim Beyer-Johnson

Synopsis: "Applejack and Rainbow Dash take the friendship students on a teamwork learning field trip, and accidentally show the students the opposite of teamwork."

Another new writer this time. The synopsis for this one rather reminds me of "Fall Weather Friends" way back in S1. I like that episode, so another with a similar feel would be nice. We also seem likely to be spending an extended period of time with the Student Six again -- for the first time since the S8 premiere, in fact. Anyway, I now declare this discussion thread open! :p

Please use spoiler-cuts until 24 hours after the episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you.

Bridle Timeout likes this.
  2. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I've not watched the leaked copy of this episode, but after reading Equestria Daily comments from those who have...

I'm going in with very low expectations. Hopefully it'll be better than I'm expecting, but the comments suggest a very dull retread of "Fall Weather Friends".

3. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

2 words. 'Dull' and 'Painful'. That is all.

Nsxile and CuldeeFell like this.
  4. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Above average

5. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

There were moments in that one where even I was metaphorically shouting at Dash and AJ 'just get on with it!' yet alone the class of students. Had some funny moments but a lot if it got rather repetitive towards the end. Enjoyable enough to watch though.

6. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Ugh...

To be honest, the character I enjoyed most in this episode was Fluttershy and she only got a small bit part.

The rest of the episode just really dragged on and on, it felt like.

This one was a major dud for me, I'm sorry to say.

7. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Underwhelming...

I'm quite glad I saw some comments from people saying this episode was going to be appalling, because that meant I was fairly relieved when it was simply not very good. :p This seemed like another "The Cart Before the Ponies" in terms of regressing characters several seasons in order to fit a story, when writing a story to fit their S8 characters would have been better. This, and the basic storyline, also meant inevitable comparisons with "Fall Weather Friends" -- and the S1 episode wins easily in a head-to-head. What "FWF" does is have lots of silly, fun moments but have them flow smoothly into one another. This episode still has its moments, with Ocellus appearing as a "Bite-a-Cuda" probably the best, but they're unevenly spread and the episode just doesn't feel very coherent. A nice small part for Fluttershy at the start, but on the whole this is well down my S8 favourites list so far. Probably just ahead of "Fake It", but only just. Two stars out of five, I'm afraid.

Mane25 likes this.
  8. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Spoiler spoiler spoiler.
    Well that was definitely an episode that happened.

Cloudane likes this.
  9. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

If your mission for todays episode was to try and make Rainbow Dash and Applejack look like idiots then congratulations, you succeeded.

Ok I get it, there's meant to be a friendly rival between the 2 but boy was it annoying today.

The episodes saving grace is that I did enjoy the Breakfast club in this episode. Yona is great ;D

It was great to see them again otherwise not the strongest of episodes.

I wouldn't say I hated it but Season 8 has had better thus far.

The following contains an opinion which you may or may not agree with.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  10. Nsxile

Nsxile Honorary Pony

Pretty much correct, only...
    imagine that AJ and RD have less development than at the beginning of Fall Weather Friends and have all development since then ignored, there's no real point to the episode other than s****ing on them to make the other characters look good and the thing they're fighting over is stupidly petty. Overall the episode was an insulting waste of time that expects me to ignore the fact that Applejack and Rainbow Dash were very OOC considering their previous character development; the guy who wrote it should be fired and I'd give it no higher than a 1/10.

11. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Yeah, I've now seen the episode and agree with Applejack and Rainbow Dash acting like idiots throughout the whole episode. It was one of those episodes that made me look at the time and ask myself how much more of the episode I had left to watch. Not one I'll be returning too voluntarily except perhaps in the context of a whole-series re-watch.

I did appreciate getting to spend some more time with the student six, but that was about it for the positive side of this episode.

12. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Wow, this episode has really drawn up some harsh criticism. It wasn't the best episode by a long way, but I think we've had worse episodes than this.

It was nice to see the students again. They've really fallen into the background since the premier. It was good to have them as the voice of reason throughout this episode, although they may have given their teachers too much credit at the end. I couldn't blame the griffon for being tempted to leave AJ and Dash to the fishes though.

Dash tries to be considerate of Yona's papers... only to blow them away again. Silly Dashie.

I did enjoy Fluttershy receiving her award and the wall of dazed 'Shy photos.

I also noticed the students were rowing against the current. No wonder they weren't moving. Was that an animation error? I'm pretty sure you're supposed to row with the flow of the water.

That's a bit harsh to the writer given they may not have been the one who came up with the premise for the episode. They might have been able to do more had they been given an idea which actually took Rainbow Dash and Applejack's character development over the course of the show into consideration.

I guess Dash and AJ's regression was the big problem with the episode. This wasn't executed as well as Fall Weather Friends, and it seemed a very weak concept for a story this far in. At least there were some fun moments with the students.

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  13. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I didn't think it was terrible...

It did have quite a few probelms, though. Even with their competitiveness, Rainbow's pride and Applejack's stubborness, it was still exaggerated out of proportion. I thought AJ in particular would be more professional under the circumstances, but it was even a bit out of character for Rainbow Dash. I think they also missed an opportunity for an metaphor of building a bridge out of both vines and branches at the end, as well.

I felt the students were quite good, even if none of them got much development. I'm definately starting to like Silverstream, Gallus and Ocellus more, though I'm still not seeng so much in Smolder, Sandbar or Yona. It's the little things like the brief seapony transormations, and that they clearly were learning teamwork in the background. It shows that affinity we saw in School Daze. It seems a bit strange that they were the only six on the trip, though.

I also thought Twilight was charactised well. I was definately with her when she said "I thought you were past this!". It feels like a blend of her "voice of reason" role in early seasons, and her leadership role more recently.

So, not a great episode, certainly. Probably about the same as the two or three Spike episodes from season 3, for me. Still, I'm optimistic, and each season has to have a low point. It just felt ike the concept could've been done much better, I suppose.

14. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Let's see if I buck the current consensus on this one or not.

9th month in a row for Flutters. It's been a while since the S8 opener.

There's no real contest here. AJ is most definitely the better leader. Dashie wins out in the field, but AJ would be better suited for planning it out and whatnot.

Shed building? AJ missed a chance at a barn raising and an Apple family song.

Dashie's nail technique is pretty impressive.

Pretty sure Dashie learned her technique from Spitfire.

Man, you'd think Dash and AJ would be much quicker on the draw there. They've been in more dangerous situations than the students.

Not sure how a nature walk is gonna help with teamwork.

And the rescue provided the teamwork.

Wouldn't say it's awful, but it's a thing that happened. I also don't think it was too out of character for AJ and Dash. Once their competitiveness kicked in and they started feeding off each other, it's not too much of a stretch for them to fall back into old ways.

15. Recurrent Trotting

ep ok except who were those annoying blue and orange ponies? I wanted to hear more from the interesting characters :p 1/10 for teacher ponies 8/10 for others and 5.5/10 overall. A low score for me, but not as unwatchable as What about Discord and a few others
    ok it has to be said that, like everyone else, I like the Mane 6 and therefore the ep making me hate two of them is not great. Also the comparison with FWF which is among the stand-out eps of pony doesn't help

BUT while the ep was 60% about AJ and Dash being terrible, the input from the students was great - and that was kinda the point of the ep afterall. When I started tuning out from those two I began to enjoy the ep much more. Sandbar works so well as the laid back nice one (one of very few male voices on the show I actually like), even Gallus was being less insufferable and I was rooting for Yona (who sort of reminds me of a less sexualised Dianna in 7deadly sins) Smolder actually got me shouting at her sass, Ocellus continues to rule ofc (she's like Flutters but sassy and less animaly) and Silverstream is Skystar 2.0 so obviously I love her :3

Cloudane likes this.
  16. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

I hate to say this about a Dash episode but:
    This is probably the worst MLP episode I've watched since Princess Spike. Dash was acting like her season one self and AJ was no better. The only positive I can say about this one was that it was nice to see the new characters again, but in honesty that's all I can say about this train wreck. 3/10 see me after class!

Nsxile likes this.
  17. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

OK, my thoughts...

Trying hard to come up with something good to say about RD/AJ in this episode... I think there are a few small changes that could have been made that would have made this episode more watchable. First they needed more reason to be arguing (because character development, they wouldn't be arguing over something so petty at this stage), then from about half way through when things switch around and they're over-compensating to 'agree' with each other, that could have been developed in to some sort of lesson about making compromises. And finally they needed to actually learn the lesson because probably the most disappointing thing about the episode was with how it ended with them still arguing; that's not in keeping with their characters and is just not good enough. An alternative way to fix the episode would have been if they actually were demonstrating how not to work as a team, having that as the big reveal at the end would have explained why they were acting out of character.

Also since when was AJ the "slow and steady" one? That's not the impression I got from the running of the leaves in FWF...

Anyway, the good is that I did enjoy seeing the Student Six in this, hopefully we'll see more of them, hopefully in some better episodes.

18. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Ugh, there's 22 minutes of my life I won't be getting back....

• Commentary on Flutters always "winning" because she's nice?
    • An "Ashleigh Ball arguing with herself" episode, er, yay...
    • There's some degree of novelty to AJ and Rainbow degenerating back to their season 1 selves, in a nostalgic way, unfortunately it wasn't a patch on Fall Weather Friends
    • How did they even end up teaching again? Where do they find the time, doesn't AJ have a farm to look after?
    • A plus point! - episode avoids the waterfall trope and goes with smashing into some rocks instead!
    • Reference to G1 seaponies kinda sorta but would it kill them to just have a line like "next time call upon us"?
    • Then Twi comes, does a half effort at sorting them out and they become really, really cringeworthy
    • You quickly see, as expected, the class learning teamwork because their teachers undid 8 years of personal development and absolutely suck at teamwork
    • "Leave 'em hanging?" - okay that got a chuckle
    • "Nearly scared the cutie marks off us" is a neat new saying that I can't believe hasn't been said before (unless I missed it)
    • Who's teaching who again?
    • Yeah they totally faked all that because they're really smart :p At least Twi knew what was going on.
    Yeah sorry no.
    It's not even a bandwagon thing as I steered well clear of any reactions until seeing it due to spoiler paranoia, so my reactions are genuine.
    I hate to be negative about it and very rarely am, as FiM gets enough of that already (not so much here but on imageboards and the like) but that's the first episode in a loooong time (since maybe Mare Do Well? Can't remember what my initial impressions were) that I've actually disliked. Usually at worst it's a meh-to-goodish. Better luck next time!

To try and at least say something nice :p To be fair, one or two bad apples in 8 seasons isn't a bad track record at all.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  19. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I heard people didn't like this one before going into it, and could see why early on. But I don't really take pony all that serious nowadays, and still found quite a bit of enjoyment out of it. The student six are good fun to spend time with. Yona in particular had me chuckling a few times.

I love Ocellus. She's adorable :D. Seeing her and Silverstream go sea-pony together was great.

20. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

It was alright, at best, but I didn't particularly like it. As others have mentioned I didn't particular like AJ and Dash's characterisation in this episode. I think the whole idea of being rivals is a great one, but it hasn't really been executed that well since Fall Weather Friends. I suppose the shed building activity was okay, but the canoeing trip was just plain idiotic and they're putting the students' lives at risk, as seen with Yona nearly drowning when the canoe crashes. I think as well despite the fact the students had a great field trip, if I was Twi I still wouldn't really AJ and Dash the teacher of the month award and I'd hate to see what they're like in the classroom! But that's another story. I did like though how Twi was acting like a no nonsense mare throughout the episode, the kids' themselves learning about teamwork was brilliant and lovely to see and shows what good friends they already are. I think overall though, if you're gonna do an episode about Dash's and AJ's rivalries, don't make into a plot like this. It happened in The Cart Before The Ponies where it was just as bad. Shame really, I just hope the next episode with the Student Six is a lot better.

I give it a 4/10. Trust me though, I hate being negative :p