1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 8A rankings thread (will be kept open)

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Loganberry, 10 June 2018.

1. Zero Motion

Zero Motion New Pony

Oh no, I'm ok leaving it as is, just never realised how much I liked it compared to the others since this is the first time I've compared the episodes.
    Also, those changes bring a smile to my face :D

2. Nsxile

Nsxile Honorary Pony

1. Grannies Gone Wild
    2. School Daze
    3. Molt Down
    4. The Maud Couple
    5. The Parent Map
    6. Horse Play
    7. The Mean 6
    8. The Break-Up Breakdown
    9. Surf and/or Turf
    10. Marks for Effort
    11. Fake It 'Til You Make It
    12. Non-Compete Clause

3. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Thanks! Only one change to the order from that: "School Daze" jumps ahead of both "Horse Play" and "Marks for Effort" to move into fifth position.

4. Recurrent Trotting

The theme of the top tier is new and fresh feeling content, apart from Hose Play which was just a great ep. I had a blast with Flutters personalities in Fake It - Andrea showed us some new chars and owned everyone. Mean 6 had a great setup which led to some genuinely fresh feeling dialogue and interactions by the whole Mane 6 cast which is just incredibly impressive. School Daze displayed us the new school chars in all their glory. Long live Ocelus!

The mid tier features a few interesting but flawed eps (Surf/Turf, Maud Couple) some sweet/funny but predictable eps (Marks, Parent Map) and some eps that were just fairly solid but lacking much else (Molt, Break up Breakdown.

Non-compete clause did a terrible job of Dashie and AJ and would be amongst the worst pony eps of the whole series except that it featured the new chars. I was conflicted about it, but once I tuned AJ and Dashie out I enjoyed it. Grannies Gone Wild was just a fairly bad ep which should've featured Pinks and not Dashie and had a silly forced plotline with AJ tricking Dash.

---

comments on others:
    Seing quite a bit of surf/turf love. I can get that I guess, but the ep didn't do it for me.

@Nsxile woooow your fave ep was Grannies D: my mind is blown
    @Danishbrony2011 Fake it is last D: what'chu smokin girl?

#24 Recurrent Trotting, 16 June 2018
    Last edited: 16 June 2018
  5. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Now there's an interesting list! Not at all conforming to the consensus, as you're the only person to rank "Fake It 'Til You Make It" top and the only person to rank "Grannies Gone Wild" last. Also, the lowest rating of anyone for "The Break Up Breakdown" and only the second person not to put "Non-Compete Clause" dead last.

Feeding that into the spreadsheet doesn't actually alter a great deal, but there are two changes: "Fake It..." jumps from 11th to ninth overall, while "The Mean 6" sneaks past "The Break Up Breakdown" to move into second position.

Also, I'm a major Fluttershy fan who didn't much care for "Fake It 'Til You Make It" and placed it second-last. Can't speak for anyone else, but my reasoning is that I felt the over-the-top 'Shy stuff was too long, there wasn't nearly enough Flutters/Rarity friendshipping (except the very start and end) and continuity was iffy.

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  6. Recurrent Trotting

I know what you mean - it 's a shame the ep as a whole didn't live up to Andrea's performance. It's tricky with these eps that are flawed as a whole but have brilliant stuff in them. Best example of that I think is Magical Mystery Cure which I really wasn't a fan of at first but afterwards the songs and performances in it really grew on me, even if it is a rushed mess of an ep.