1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 9, Episode 10 - Going to Seed

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 28 May 2019.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

[​IMG]
    Berrybloom by ShinePawPony
    (cc by-nc-nd 3.0)
    Air Date: 1st June 2019

Written by: Dave Rapp

Synopsis: "Applejack's plans for an orderly harvest go awry when Apple Bloom becomes obsessed with catching a magical creature she thinks can help them."

This episode has already aired in Italy, but we still have a few days left before the Discovery Family broadcast. Dave Rapp returns as writer for the first time this season -- his previous writing credits include "Where the Apple Lies", so he's not new to Apple Family shenanigans. This one has a slightly strange synopsis if you ask me (which you probably don't!) but we'll see how it goes.

Discussion time! :)

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after this episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thanks! :)

2. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

This had a certain level of charm about it and had themes that were very relatable from being very young and used what seemed a rather straightforward idea that was nicely done.

An episode fully concentrated on the Apple family. I was a bit concerned at this prospect as after a while the whole 'country-ism' thing can get tiresome and an entire episode based on it might be too much.

Many of the themes here were already touched upon in previous seasons, it's the typical hard working farming/harvest earth pony ritual with AJ in full working mode, and Big Mac providing the strength.

For me this got better with the story behing the 'Great Seedling' this is something we can all relate to, the prospect of believing in something like that when we were young. I enjoyed the flashback to AJ when she was running around setting traps. It was great the way Apple Bloom's enthusiasm was shown, you just can't help but smile.

Have to say I wasn't expecting that with Big Mac at the end, I genuinely believed they were going to catch this seedling (it would've another new character to make merchandise out of, and we seem to be in a phase where plenty of new creatures are appearing by the episode, at least since last season) however there was the possible end scene involving the carrots that can keep us believing.

Yep, it was a straightforward episode that gave us a chance to feel a bit of naivety and the fun of using your imagination.

Blissful690 likes this.
  3. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

The return
    The return of the crazy cat lady and more flashback.

4. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

That was actually really nice.

I didn't quite know what to make of this synopsis, since it sounded like something Apple Bloom would've done about the time she was playing creature catchers with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo in Fluttershy's cottage, rather than now. I did find it strange that she was so quick to believe that story, when she probably spends some of her time tutoring Gallus and Smolder. The moral somewhat justifies it, but I think I would've preferred it if she took a little bit more convincing before she hit that level of excitement. First, I thought they were heading for a moral where the Great Seedling wasn't real, but the fun was in the chasing. After Applejack got sucked into the hype, I thought they were going for a slightly different resolution. I'd deduced that it was Big Mac, but I thought he'd been doing it consciously, on purpose. I think I would've preferred that slightly, to have scene at the end like the one in Brotherhooves Social.

There were some pretty nice moments throughout. From AJ showing the kind of childish excitement Pinkie Pie usually exudes, Granny Smith making her sassiest comment yet ("It could've been Goldie's cats, why don't you ask them?"), the Applebuck Season reference with Big Mac bucking a bare tree and the flashback involving their parents. The whole thing did feel like another Apple episode, but I can't quite put my finger on what connects them all. This late in the show, any episode could be the last of its kind, of its arc, and I think this brings a nice close to it, if there are no more later on this season.

I loved the moral, and I'm a great believer in that. I love Christmas, I tend to love all things cute and colourful, and of course this show brings me much joy. This is the first moral in quite a while that made me think "I've been saying that for years". The depiction of the Great Seedling in the story reminded me of the three reindeer in The Best Gift Ever, and as with them, its existence is left ambiguous. It could go either way with the carrots at the end, and in the spirit of the episode, I don't wanna know.

CuldeeFell and Blissful690 like this.
  5. Zero Motion

Just saw this, initially, I was hyped cause I enjoy the Apple family quite a bit.
    However, the end result was kinda meh honestly.
    I adore both AJ and AB but personally I felt so bad for Big Mac, he's nowhere near a likeable pony for me but I still gotta feel bad for him as he was used and abused throughout this episode without so much as a "thank you" from either AJ or AB for his solo harvesting both during the day and night.
    Like wtf, I get that AJ isn't always compassionate but she understands hard work, better than anyone yet decided that chasing a myth is more important?
    I dunno, I felt like her character was oddly written to suit the plot, Big Mac was fantastic, in every way, the delivery of his lines, his facial expressions just on point.
    AB was well slightly annoying since I kinda don't see her as the same "adrenaline junkie kid" that she was in previous seasons; after she got her cutiemark I saw her as a more mature character since I tend to see the transition of gaining a cutiemark = hitting puberty. (Just for clarification, I adore AB, she's one of my top 5 ponies but yeah, gotta be honest with this episode)

Nice to see Golden Delicious again, she has been an integral character to the Apple family so yeah, a nice change of pace to see her since her and Granny Smith have this whole "besties" vibe together.
    I did get annoyed that they played around with "who could be the Great Seedlin" too much and kinda made her character playoff like a villain for the episode.
    I am a bit annoyed they didn't really explain how all the apples got into that spiral position and the fact that they added a twist with the carrots... like come on!
    It's the last season, don't introduce something and then leave it on a cliffhanger if we aren't gonna get a sequel to this, maybe it is set up for G5 but I dunno.

I do think the moral of "you'll always be a kid at heart" comes through but meh.
    Just feels so mediocre, I felt like this should have been a storytelling episode, where Granny and Golden tell the story of the old confluence, showing us Bright Mac and Pear Butter for more than just a few seconds.
    I'd love to see more of Bright Mac teaching Big Mac how to buck and Pear Butter bringing in apples with baby AB and their interaction as a whole since we rarely saw Granny with them during their debut episode.
    I loved those scenes, they were easily the best moments of this episode but I personally think a storytelling episode would have just made more sense as this is the final season.
    Overall I'd say below average episode, a decent showcase of the sisterly bond between AJ and AB but man, poor Big Mac, he deserves better than this.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  6. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

This felt like a rather wholesome episode. It also kept me guessing where it would eventually lead, and I admit I didn't see the resolution coming (until the last few moments beforehand).

If this turns out to be our last one focusing on the Apply family and Sweet Apples Acres, then I'll be satisfied with that. Nothing extraordinarily great, but it generally made for pleasant viewing. It gave me a couple of chuckles with some of the visual gags as well. It's remarkable that only 4 VAs are credited for the whole episode.

I kept switching back and forth between thinking that one of the family 'planted' the apply patterns, and believing the Great Seedling would actually appear. At least during the earlier parts of the episode. In particularly, AJ calling out the hoax so early on made me think that the episode was trying to subvert me from the other way. I also thought that maybe the 2 'oldies' were perhaps giving knowing looks because they'd possibly seen the Great Seedling before or something. But there were obviously also lots of clues to suggest the opposite. Overall, reasonably well written I'd say. Poor Big Mac though. :p

The moral/lesson is interesting, as I imagine to much younger viewers it could come across differently. Like Candy above, I think the way it was left with the carrots was a nice touch.

I liked the artwork in the Great Seedling legend scene. And the brief appearance of the Apple parents was appreciated.

Blissful690 likes this.
  7. Steamworks

Steamworks Habitual Pony

A little late, but here we go.

Ah, more Apples. Always a good start.

Goldie knew what she was doing.

Busiest orchard in Equestria doesn't sound too great for the Apple Family's workload.

Mac's still got it even when sleep deprived.

Old ladies gathering produce while gossiping. I see that so much IRL.

Those are some curious tracks.

At least a compromise was found between trapping and bucking.

Hee, the Macs together.

And a very little Bloom with Pear Butter.

Winona doesn't seem too bothered by bein' in a hole.

So are apple spirals Equestria's version of crop circles?

So is it just the copy I'm watching, or have they added a sound effect to apple buckin'?

Sleep harvestin'. I suppose it's a side effect of bein' an Apple.

Zero Motion likes this.
  8. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Late enough for no spoiler cuts to be needed, so: I'd put this one in the "superior filler" category. I think the tight focus on the Apple Family (not a single non-Apple pony was seen in the entire episode) helped a lot and kept the attention where it should be. Big Mac got a horribly raw deal, but we also saw Apple Bloom growing up enough to be told harvest-time couldn't be all play any longer. This contrasted nicely with Applejack being reminded that it shouldn't be all work, either. So maybe the overall message was to keep a fair work/life balance -- and I think that's a pretty good one. Also, Winona! Her first appearance for almost three years, would you believe.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  9. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

A little late to the party, but here I go:

We have the return of the crazy cat pony.

It was a bit surprising to see Applejack go from being against hunting the Great Seedling to so obsessed she's neglecting her work. I never thought she'd shirk on work like that! Apple Bloom's enthusiasm was adorable to see though.

So Big Mac can somehow stumble through all the traps and set them all off without getting caught in his sleep, but gets stuck in one whilst he's awake? o_O

This felt like more of a filler episode to me. It wasn't a bad episode, but it didn't leave much of an impact on me either. Still, it was good to see the Apples again, and Winona.

Zero Motion and Oilyvalves like this.