1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 9, Episode 11 - Student Counsel

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 5 June 2019.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

[​IMG]
    Air Date: 8th June 2019

Written by: Josh Haber

Synopsis: "Starlight Glimmer relishes her role as school counsellor and encourages the students to come to her anytime about anything, but she becomes overwhelmed and learns a lesson."

Another episode that's already been shown in Italy, but here comes the DF broadcast. This looks like being the first Starlight-focused episode of S9, which will be interesting. There's not a lot to go on in that synopsis, but Glimmy has been so good at her counselling role that it'll make a change to see her have trouble coping. The question is how she'll react to it. Back in S6, she'd probably have reached for her magic -- but will she try something different now?

Okay, the discussion floor is now open! :)

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after this episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thanks! :)

Danishbrony2011 and DerpyWhooves like this.
  2. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

Someone call the Police!

Because Maud stole the episode. Like, the expressions from Starlight and Trixie got me watching, but Maud just too all of it, especially when Mudbriar was turned to stone. I see why Pinkie says she's hilarious now.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  3. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Student Counsel

I also think Maud stole the episode.

4. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

Well that was a combination of characters that you don't get very often.

Liked the beginning with Trixie's attempts to supress her frustration when Starlight's pager bracelet kept going off. Starlight's facial expressions whilst listening to some of the students were classic. Also the scene with that pony at the counsellor door entrance with Trixie provided a good bit of humour.

Then onwards to Sunburst, Maud, Mudbrier and Terramar joining in the calamity. This felt really odd as a mix of characters, not sure how I felt with this, just seemed too many invovled in some of those scenes like we didn't get the best out of them.

Maud: "We can still have a party........a search party" :D

I felt the chasing around in the Everfree Forest got a bit long winded, would have been better if we had seen our individual characters each helping towards the rescue with something they are good at.

So in the end Starlight decides that she should allocate time to each student rather than a fee-for-all approach, only for Silverstream to put down her previous ideas she offered anyhow, again, the look on Starlight's face.

Overall this had it's moments here and there, really it was the little things that mattered in this.

5. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

That was quite a lot of fun, again.

I really liked seeing the whole Uncommon Bond gang back together again. And Mudbriar :p. Following the trend of this season, this echoed the tone of an earlier season, one or two in this case, with the slice of life/adventure balance. Most of the cast got some form of development again, as well. A much earlier episode would've been the first quarter stretched to 22 minutes, but I like how this went deeper. Work/life balance works both ways, with Starlight being available for her students while also setting some boundaries. I'm not sure if any Applejack episode took that angle, though it maybe would've been nice if Silverstream had acknowledged that she (and probably some other students) had been taking Starlight for granted. I kinda thought Starlight might have a moment with Mrs. Cake, taking the kind of advice she usually gives. That would've been a random but welcome inclusion, I think. I also like how casually she tells Starlight her hoof's glowing. She must be used to weird stuff like that, having lived with Pinkie Pie for at least a couple of years, probably. Not to mention living in the same town as Twilight Sparkle and Starlight Glimmer :p.

Trixie sometimes struggles to come out and say how she feels, a trait she shares with Rainbow Dash, so for her to outright say "I miss spending time with you" couldn't have been too easy. Aside from that, she spent about the first half actually being the voice of reason for a change, even though her ego inevitably made her take leave of her senses. I like how she still manages to be obnoxious enough to make that comment about Starlight abandoning Silverstream even now that she's relatable. There's not very much to say about Sunburst. I like him, but he didn't seem to have much more of a role hear than being terrified of cockatrices. I think it's fair to say that Terramar is about the same, as well. Nice to see him again, though.

Technically, I think Mudbriar felt more developed this time. It feels like Maud's been working on him to make him less insufferable since his last appearance, especially from that look of absolute fury (by Maud standards) when he made that comment about stick bouquets. From the way he kept correcting himself, he's clearly really trying. As for Maud herself, she was at her best, and not just because she speaks in a deadpan way. Her search party joke was genuinely a great punchline, and that's the kind of thing I would've expected her to do at one of her stand up shows. Like I said before, she probably needs a double act partner to bounce off. Maybe a comedy/magic show with Trixie :p. Anyway, I think it was actually kinda genius to put Maud and cockatrices in the same episode. From her reaction to Mudbriar as a statue, maybe the two of them need a pet cockatrice.

If Silverstream was able to trigger a cockatrice's nesting instinct, I wonder if Fluttershy would be capable of that. With her arc recently of learning to use her assertiveness more sparingly, I think she'd probably opt for that if faced with a similar situation now, rather than shouting the cockatrice down. I loved seeing the treehouse again, and I'm now hoping we get to see each of the student six in need of it before the finale. Speaking of which, I quite enjoyed seeing how pleased Smolder was with herself for burning Gallus' book to ash :p.

6. Zero Motion

Zero Motion Active Pony

Saw the episode, so hyped for this from the starting scene.

Starting off with a Trixie x Starlight picnic is without a doubt my favourite opener this season.
    Personally, I adore this ship, they compliment each other so well and neither really seem like the alpha in this regard, they both seem as in-charge and responsible for one another.
    I love that we got an episode for Starlight to reflect on her work as the student counsellor, seems super unfair that Twi and the rest of the mane six all left and went off to celebrate without her.
    Like I get that students have issues and all that but damn, Starlight clearly needs a break too, you'd think she'd just make a PO Box/ mail station and inform students to write letters over the summer but only choose the important topics as she won't be able to get to them so quickly, seems that would work out better than creating office hours.

When it came to the shopping portion, I was expecting Trixie to take the magic beeper from Starlight, sure students have problems but if the counsellor is not in the right mental state, she can't give good advice.
    Was kinda surprised Starlight and Trixie didn't tear apart the list of theirs into 2 so they would know exactly who was getting what.
    Though thinking about it, that wouldn't work for the end result where Trixie does everything but it would have been the more logical solution.

I feel like Mudbriar got better lmao like now he has more of a "personality" in a sense.
    In his previous appearances he never really had anything despite being well Sheldon Cooper but now he's like a developed Sheldon, similar to the latest season of Big Bang Theory, Sheldon feels much more developed and not just one-note, I feel like Mudbriar is the same.
    I absolutely love that Maud is attracted to him so much more after he was turned to stone, really shows just how much she loves rocks, also showcases just how amazing Maud is as a character.

Speaking of those small character moments, I absolutely adore just how little care Trixie was giving once Terramar came in and explained that Silverstream was missing.
    Trixie did not give a damn, at all and I absolutely love that, it shows that Trixie really just does not give a damn about others and still is the same rotten horse deep down, she'll always be my top tier fave from the show but she can't change so easily, even if Starlight has been a good influence, Trixie will always be Trixie.
    While on the subject, I love how she had them convinced she knew how to track down the cockatrice, like if they couldn't figure out she had no clue by this line, "I have a lot of experience telling ponies that I have experience with the dangerous creatures of the Everfree Forest" then I don't honestly know what they expected.

Sunburst felt very underutilised this episode like he was there to explain the cockatrice and that was basically it.
    I think the resolution was fine, though I do think Starlight needs to talk to Twi about explaining the assignments to her beforehand since if I was the counsellor, I'd want to be informed about my students working with dangerous creatures without trained supervision.
    Granted Edith did seem like a trained cockatrice, I still think something like that should either happen in an environment monitored and safe or Silverstream should have teacher supervision with her when dealing with Edith, what if Silverstream acted in a way that upset Edith, it's clear that Edith can turn others to stone as she turned Mudbriar back from stone so the situation could have easily gone terribly wrong.

Overall I'm very happy with this episode, I'd say I liked it and would rewatch it more so than I would last weeks episode.
    Honestly, if this is the last Starxie episode we get of the season, I'm honestly happy with it.
    Although I wish we got a more major focus on them rather than forcing in this Silverstream plot, something more like "To Where and Back Again".
    I'm fully expecting Starlight to get another episode focusing more on herself and how she'll be affected once she becomes Head Mare of the school, I know they slightly addressed it during the premiere but I think there's a lot she hasn't considered.
    Oh and I really hope she'll bring Trixie on as a teacher, similar to when she was Head Mare for a day and all that, mostly just so Trixie can be Starlights beacon, her guiding force that grounds her once Starlight starts having her own version of twilynanas.

Danishbrony2011 and Blissful690 like this.
  7. sten whik

sten whik Space

Every line and animated expression was gold. (9/10)

Zero Motion likes this.
  8. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I had fun with this one.

As others have already said, an intriguing and engaging group of characters. Particularly with the addition of Terramar; seeing the transformation between hippogriff and seapony doesn't get old :). Starlight and Trixie always play off each other well. And I'm glad that Mudbriar is being utilized again; he certainly had his moments this time!

The cockatrices were cool to see again. I remember when they first appeared, it gave me a real shock when Twilight got turned to stone. And likewise, the same thing happened here with Mudbriar. The way they played that out with Maud was brilliant. :D

Some fairly minor negatives: Sunburst didn't really need to be there. Although it amused me more than it should have watching him run full-pelt into a tree :p. Also, Silverstream running off without telling anyone seemed a bit dumb, and also kinda a repeat of what we saw in 'Uprooted'.

The message about work/life commitments in the earlier part of the episode felt a bit drawn-out. But gladly things picked up later on. And finally, we got yet more marvelous montage music.

DerpyWhooves and Blissful690 like this.
  9. Steamworks

Steamworks Habitual Pony

Hey, I'm getting to episodes while it's still the weekend again. Yay for not having to work on a Sunday.

Beeper bracelet? Or is it more like those puck things at some restaurants?

So it's more like the puck things.

I'm surprised Trixie isn't more upset at not being the center of attention.

That unicorn seemed really upset he didn't get to see Starlight. I hope it wasn't anything important.

Also, maybe I was wrong about Trixie being fairly restrained at not being the center of attention.

Could this be a further indication of Starlight's mental issues? Maybe she's burying herself in her work to avoid dealing with other issues.

Kinda sucks they just glossed over the changeling identity thing so quickly. That could get interesting in a philosophical way.

Hey, Starlight set a boundary.

Missing student is kind of a big deal. At least that's a good reason to bail on a party.

Maybe Mudbriar is turning around. I wonder if that's Maud's doing.

Are they really following Trixie?

Trixie eating dirt? That's a new one.

So...what was the point of putting that one cockatrice in Tartarus if there's an entire flock?

"I don't think I could love him any more."

Shouldn't they be in the Treehouse of Solitude? They're pretty exposed right now.

Befriending a cockatrice is a bold move.

I kinda wish we'd been able to witness the de-petrification process. We didn't get to see Twi returned to normal, and now we're missing Mudbriar getting reverted.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  10. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I don't think we need spoiler tags anymore as it's been more than 24 hours now.

Anyway, this was a pretty fun episode. Starlight and Trixie have had some very good episodes with each other, and it's clear they still have a lot of friendship lessons of their own to learn.

I enjoyed seeing Trixie glare a student out of Starlight's office, and it was rather clever of her to get Starlight's attention by going to her office. It was also funny seeing her attempt to lead the way to Silverstream and her impatience with Mudbriar. Good thing Mudbriar seems to be trying to be less annoying to other ponies.

It seems the references to old episodes is still running strong with all the characters involved in this episode as well as a flock of cockatrices.

I concur with Maud stealing the show somewhat. Now we know why Pinkie finds her hilarious.

If there was one flaw in this episode it was that Starlight completely overlooked the treehouse when looking for Silverstream. I guess the stress of the situation got the better of her.

Blissful690 likes this.
  11. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

On re-watch, this was still a very entertaining episode! The collection of characters is a win in my book, with some great interactions between them.

12. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

OK, it feels like they managed to fit a lot in to this one - the start felt like it would be a slice-of-life episode with Trixie and Starlight, then it became more of an adventure with a lot more characters brought in which kind of caught me off-guard actually! Will need to rewatch it because I felt slightly lost at times, unsure of what I was meant to be focussing on, but it was an interesting mix of characters.

It did remind me of the current situation with the tree of harmony, and the events of Uprooted (episode 3) and I wonder where that will lead. (I've not seen any later episodes yet so I don't want to know if it's covered there).

CuldeeFell and Oilyvalves like this.
  13. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I enjoyed this one. Not "instant classic" status, but as a lot of people have said the collection of characters here was good fun.

Maud got my favourite lines. Particularly her "You got the hunk part right". Which made me laugh as well as weirding me out a little. Trust Maud to find a piece of stone attractive (rather than being concerned for her boyfriend).

I may need to give this one another watch to get it straight in my head because at the moment it's a fair jumble of pieces that don't intuitively go together, specifically the Maud/ Trixie relationship scenes at the start (with the very amusing beeping bracelet) and the runaround with cockatrices later on. There's certainly a plot connection between the two, but the emotional/ story connection was weaker I felt.

Still, there was enough to enjoy here that it's an episode I can imagine choosing to return to.

Oilyvalves likes this.