1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 9, Episode 12 - The Last Crusade

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 10 June 2019.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Sleeping Crusaders by Silly-da-Billie
    Air Date: 15th June 2019

Written by: Nicole Dubuc

Synopsis: Unexpected visitors to Ponyville threaten to break up the Cutie Mark Crusaders forever.

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after this episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you.

2. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

My favorite CMC episode.

3. Steamworks

Steamworks Habitual Pony

Just saw a spoiler and...

Basically, that noise Scoots made when she met Dashie's parents? I'm making it right now.

Snowyshy likes this.
  4. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Weird to see this not getting so much hype here.

5. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Huh it seems I haven't given my opinion to any episodes this season. Best correct this issue now. So how did this episode fair in my opinion?
    Well let's get to main point of this episode, we can finally quash the fact that Scootaloo doesn't have parents which I'm glad they did. And they are not deadbeats who don't care about Scoots they just have important jobs which keeps them busy (kind of like Arnold's parents from Hey Arnold.) As for the episode itself while this isn't the best episode of the season I really, really liked this one. Once again this proves pound for pound Scootaloo has the best run of episodes focused on one character. As for Aunt Holiday and Aunty Lofty? While same sex couples in Kids cartoons is nothing new (Legend of Korra, Steven Universe, Arthur etc etc) I have no issues that they went in that direction. If I have any nitpicks it would be why did it take four episodes to see Dash make an appearance? In the end this gets an 8/10 from me, not the best episode in the season, but I'm happy to know that best CMC member has a Mummy and Daddy!

#5 moody magpie, 15 June 2019
    Last edited: 15 June 2019
    Blissful690 likes this.
  6. Zero Motion

Just saw the episode, in this age, it's near impossible to escape the spoilers so I had a clear idea going into it.

So I'm rather casual when it comes to specifics and details, I knew of Scoots gay Aunts, did not know their names or personalities, what I do know is that I love both of them.
    Holiday is a sweetheart whilst Lofty is a fierce yet tender pony, so glad they are staying for the rest of the season in Ponyville, I hope we get to see them in their new house with Scoots.
    It killed me when Lofty used her wings to carry her bags, as far as I recall, no other pegasus has done that.

CMCs are one of my fave groups in the show but honestly, it wasn't until I saw Lofty's quill that I really got into the episode.
    The whole "we're gonna be so far away and won't be friends anymore" bit felt kinda weird for the CMCs to say.
    I get it, they are so close they'd consider each other family but still that moment plus the whole "we're the only ones who can do this job", those two moments felt like they forgot about people like Gabby or Babs Seed, funny since they both appeared later on but yeah, as far as I recall both Gabby and Babs were named as CMCs of their respective lands so... does this mean there's a difference between Gabby/Babs compared to Scoots, Sweetie and AB?

Dashie was pretty good this episode, I usually don't care for her but man I'm glad for this episode she was on point.
    So comedic with the tickets and the arguing with Scoots parents, surprised she wasn't fangirling over Scoots parents as they are literal adventures, maybe all her time with Daring Do has calmed her down.

Speaking of the parents, the Australian accent took me by surprise but I got used to it by the end, it's a little strange how after all of this hype about Scoots parents, what we actually got was... ok.
    The parents were fine, but that's about it in my opinion, they just were kinda expected I guess, though I did not expect Snap to call out how the CMCs cutiemarks aren't actually the exact same, always annoyed me that they reference them like that when they never were.
    Honestly wish we got Holiday and Lofty sooner so we could understand better where Scoots living situation is.

Overall I thought this was a fantastic episode, all of the old characters coming back, amazing new characters in Holiday and Lofty and I guess decent parents for Scoots in Snap and Mane.
    After all of the discussion and wondering about Scoots parents and if they were even alive, the end result was a nice, tender and touching moment for her character... poor AB though, now she's the only one with dead parents.
    I felt the three hoof key to the city was a bit too much, the wonderbolts salute was enough.
    Oh and I adored Cheerilee shaking after the parents introduced themselves, so damn cute.

Mane25 likes this.
  7. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Okay that was good.

I'm sure this episode broke headcanons for a lot of people. :p It was nice to finally get an answer regarding Scoot's parents, and it was nice to see her aunts too. :)

I don't know if there will be another CMC episode before the end of the series, but if there's not, I think this episode is a good way to conclude their character arcs. :)

Although, I notice Scoots' dad is an Earth pony and her mother is a pegasus. I wonder if that might have something to do with why Scoots' hasn't been able to fly?

Rainbow was good this episode. "Soo... do you want these tickets...?" :p

Was nice to see all the characters (ponies and non-ponies) that the CMC have helped through the years. :)

I didn't envy the decision that Scoots had to make, I would have understood either way, but at least the CMC can stay together and Scoots can visit her parents. (Well, assuming she can get that once-a-month train. Who's doing the timetables there? :p )

Very good episode with a story that I'm sure many people would find relatable. :)

8. Steamworks

Steamworks Habitual Pony

Yay, been waiting for this since I saw a spoiler.

A cutie mark in knots?

And the big spoiler. Scootaloo's gay aunts upgraded to official show canon. So excited for that, especially since it dropped in pride month. I thought this was gonna be a long shot to get when I put it on my S9 want list.

I also saw Scootaloo's parents early, but yeah. Wasn't as hype as I was for some LGBTQ+ representation in the show.

Her parents sound pretty awesome.

They are pretty awesome.

Cheerilee should be used to scary things by now. How many times has Ponyville been attacked?

Such dilemma.

And there's Dash dropping the inspiration.

Shouldn't the Crusaders be used to initial failures?

I think they should've gone with the "simultaneous cutie mark achievement" rather than identical-ness.

Sounds like AB's been continuing her potion studies off screen.

Even if it didn't work as hoped.

This seems like it'd be a good time to introduce the concept of one's chosen family. Pretty sure the CMC are each other's chosen family at this point.

Hopefully this logic works out.

This is basically like back in 2015 when they got their cutie marks. Feels like such a huge moment for them, especially with everything they've done on display like that.

Edit:
    For all people talk about headcanons getting smashed, mine was pretty much confirmed. Equestria doesn't have an issue with same-sex pairings. I bet they don't even have the concept of coming out anymore if they ever even had it in the first place.

#8 Steamworks, 16 June 2019
    Last edited: 16 June 2019
  9. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I was also spoiled on one of the reveals, but thankfully avoided most of it. My initial thoughts after one viewing:

It was good. I'm not sure I found it as entertaining as, say, Frenemies. I guess this is quite a different style of episode though, focusing more on the character drama.

Great to finally see Scoot's family! I really like what they did with both her aunts and her parents.

Also really great to see the return of so many other characters. Cheerilee in particular! And all those present at the 'CMC Appreciation' do. My favourite moment was Diamond Tiara's little waving exchange with the CMC.

The writing and pacing felt a bit clunky at times. I wasn't fond of all the extended crying scenes. I liked how Rainbow was there to help, but I wish she'd stopped the CMC trying to 'trick' her parents into staying.

I definitely need to give this one another watch soon.

10. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

24 hours have passed now, but this review ended up being rather long :p

So apparently this has been Scootaloo's home life all this time, seemly having a different pony look after her each day of the week or something. I find it amusing that AJ and Rarity each apparently have time to work two full time jobs and care for Scootaloo once a week. I know they've both been known to overwork themselves, but that's insane :p. I enjoyed the small moment with Cheerilee changing her plan to "show and tell" so Scoot could let her excitement out before she exploded, so she could focus better later on. I think that's quite clever teaching. I'd assumed she had an awkward relationship with her parents, so I was a bit surprised by the result, but I think it worked. In their line of work, I have to wonder if they've bumped into Daring Do a few times.

The plot with the threat of a character being forced to move far away is kind of a staple for kids' shows, but I liked that they avoided the plot hole sometimes where they should've just told their parents they didn't want to move. Scoot tried to tell her parents many times, and while them not really listening seems bad, I think it's justified, if we look at it from their perspective. They have to be away from their daughter for months if not years at a time, and they're every bit as excited as Scoot was at first that the three of them have a chance to be together. If Scoot is around 13-14 by now, for instance, they don't see her anywhere near enough to realise how mature she is, and still kinda see her more like a 10 year old. So when she complains about being separated from her best friends, her parents think she's overreacting. They'll still be able to visit, and she can make new friends in her new home, right? I think it's very telling that they thought she was just playing around with Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom when they were clearly trying to hold a form of protest.

I love that all of Scootaloo's family, blood related and otherwise, got behind her to make sure she wouldn't have to leave. Her aunts, Rainbow Dash, and even her best friends really rallied around her when she really needed them. The crying scene did actually hit me a little bit, but I think that had more to do with there not being much of the show left. I like that Rainbow Dash, the pony who first encouraged the attitude of trying everything and never giving up was there to remind them of that. What followed were fairly typical CMC antics, but with much higher stakes than ever. You'd think they learned not to use a potion after the love poison incident, and I think it would've been fun to hear Zecora telling Apple Bloom that potions can't be used to solve interpersonal problems, in rhyme. Rather than childhood naivety, though, I think they were just that desperate. Even so, Scoot had the maturity to sneak off and see her aunts instead of just running away on her own as a last resort. If they had to be apart, it's better to only be a short distance apart, after all. I really liked what Sweetie Belle said, that the mane six would do the same for each other. They would, as well.

That scene with everyone they've helped did seem to imply that this could be the last CMC episode. I liked that, but I think it's a real shame that the other crusaders, Babs and Gabby didn't even get to speak, though I can understand why. I just think they're both more than just another satisfied customer. I actually think I'd quite like a scene like that to end the grand finale for the mane six, but obviously on an even bigger scale. Another of my favourite details is that Rainbow Dash had a few of her Wonderbolt colleagues help out, as well. The Bolts are really looking a lot friendlier than they used to recently. It might sound kinda bad, but I also like that Scoot's parents still moved away. I like the show's realistic optimism, that there's always a solution, but it might not be the perfect one.

I know Holiday and Lofty are kind of the elephant in the room, but I won't say too much about that. They know they're together, the CMC know they're together, and most of Ponyville probably knows they're together, so there was no need for any exposition about that. I think it's interesting that both Scoot's dad (I don't remember her parents being named) and Holiday have an Australian accent. Maybe they were trying to drive home that she's related but Lofty's not? Scootaloo's Dad actually said what I've been think about the CMC's cutie marks since they got them; they're not technically the same cutie mark. But like he said, they clearly do share a special connection. It seems like Gabby and Terramar get along about as well as Gallus and Sliverstream, interestingly. Maybe Twilight's inclusion of other creatures at her school really is sending ripples throughout their world. I enjoyed Derpy's cameo at the start, and I enjoyed even more that she accidentally gave Holiday and Lofty's letter to Scoot. That's our Derpy :D.

If that was the last CMC episode, I'd be okay with that. I got spoiled on Scoot's parents being involved, and her aunts. I think some people might have really hyped it up and been disappointed with the result, but I really enjoyed this one, as well. It would've been at home in season 7, but I also think it lives up to this last season's lofty standard (yes, pun very intended).

11. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

This was a bit of an emotional ride.

It was nice to finally get an answer as to what Scootaloo's family life is like. I didn't realise her two aunts were a couple until I saw people mentioning it here. It is cool to see though.

Scoot's parents were nice to see, although I was surprised by the Australian accent of her father. The dilemma of being forced to move away is one I'm sure many kids watching could relate to.

This was an enjoyable episode, and got a bit emotional, particularly with the CMCs crying in their "last meeting". I don't think this hit the heights of other episodes this season, but it was a very solid one.

Danishbrony2011 and Blissful690 like this.
  12. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

All I could hear was the clang, clang of spikes being driven into the touch holes of soooo many head canons as I watched.
    I have to say that I thought the whole premise of this episode was pretty appalling. Hay kid, its ok to be dumped with extended family and the local community for your care because Mum and Dad are adventure junkies and are more concerned about their careers than you. Its no wander Scootaloo is such a flightless basket case.
    Nice to see Cheerilee back though, probably for her last hurrah as well.

13. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Right, I finally gave this another watch. And things felt quite a bit different to my first time round.

It seems like a lot of the episode (at least in the early parts) is dedicated to the big 'reveals' of Scootaloo's family. It doesn't hold much in the way of re-watchable value when you've already seen all of that. Also the scene in the classroom with the cracodile is pretty dumb. The rest of the episode felt like it dragged with the CMC's attempts to keep Scoot there. The celebration at the end was still nice though, with all the character cameos. If this is indeed their own little 'finale', then I don't think they could have done much else.

I said before I liked Scoot's parents, but I've gone off them. And I can see where @Somerset Cider is coming from with his comment regarding them. I think the episode also missed an opportunity to explore more of how Rainbow fits in to the picture as Scoot's surrogate sister. So overall, not particularly impressed.

Mane25 and CuldeeFell like this.
  14. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Mixed feelings on this one. Overall I did enjoy it, but I share some of @Oilyvalves' frustrations with it as well.

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet (he said, totally wanting to blow his own trumpet) but seeing Scootaloo's aunts on screen was something I'd specifically requested in the Season 9 wishes thread back in November. (@Steamworks did as well.)
    To cover the third bullet point first (because it's the easiest to deal with) it was nice to see at least one character from the spin off media make the jump to the show proper before the show's end. Admittedly it only came about because it was show writers Mike Vogel and Nicole Dubuc who created the characters, but it's nice to have a solid example of characters from the books making the jump onscreen.

As for gay representation, I'm in two minds as to how they handled this. I'm not LGBT+ myself so my opinion counts for less than the opinion of those who are, but it was notable that they went down the road of never explicitly confirming the aunts were a couple. @Robshi upthread said he didn't realise they were a couple, and I can easily imagine a lot of children missing this point too, which is a bit of a shame. Despite that there's enough in the episode to make it almost impossible to argue they're not a couple. Holiday referring to Snap as "my brother" when talking to Lofty basically rules out the option of Holiday and Lofty being sisters, as does Holiday and Snap having an Australian accent which Lofty doesn't share. I'm sure that was deliberate. And it is a good thing that they didn't make a big deal out of Holiday and Snap being gay, having them be characters first and foremost in their own right and not token representation.

So Scootaloo's homelife then. Oh boy as if this episode didn't already give us enough to talk about. I reckon I'll put this bit under spoiler tags:
    So even after having seen this episode I'm still left asking the question, "What is Scootaloo's homelife actually like?" How long have her parents been away for? Is at a matter of weeks, or has it been years? Have other ponies like Rarity, Rainbow Dash and the Cakes been babysitting Scootaloo since the show started? How come we've never heard of this before? Clearly her aunts don't look after her all the time because they have their own house outside of Ponyville. But equally if it's been several months of different ponies babysitting that'll have given Scootaloo essentially no stability. Given the aunts mention leaving her food for the weekend, could it be that they look after her during the week? Am I overthinking this? Possibly. At least from this episode onwards she'll have a more stable home-life.

My overthinking is driven in part by that small scene in "Parental Glideance" where Scootaloo says nopony ever told her she'd be the best at anything. It's clear her parents love her, but also in a very abstract way. She looks up to them and idolises them, but doesn't have a strong bond with them. Her Mum says she's read each of her letters twenty times, but equally her Mum and Dad don't seem to have any awareness or appreciation for who Scootaloo actually is. They don't really understand what it is the CMC do, and they continually infantilise Scoots. Arguably there's a bit of emotional neglect going on in the way her parents treat her (similar to Pinkie Pie) but it's not made very clear, and you're left having to read between the lines a little bit.

Other than being Scootaloo's parents Mane Allgood and Snap Shutter are not terribly interesting characters. That's not the end of the world, but they come across as fairly shallow stereotypes.

The story itself was actually pretty shallow, with repeated stalling scenes (e.g. the potion) that seem to just exist to stop us getting to the end of the episode too quickly. The CMC should be mature enough by now to realise their fake monster wasn't a long term solution, and I'm glad that scene didn't drag out longer than it did. The final scene with everyone gathered together felt a bit forced as well. As soon as we had the (overly dramatic) crying scenes it was obvious that Scootaloo wouldn't actually be moving away.

So for the second week in a row I'm not sure how I feel overall. Seeing Scootaloo's aunts was great, and I'm glad we've ticked Scootaloo's parents off the checklist, but the story itself wasn't terribly satisfying.

15. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I was excited about the premise for this one, then I heard there were mixed feelings about it in the fandom so I managed my expectations, but I think this is solid. With any CMC episode it's always going to be difficult to top the heights of Crusaders of the Lost Mark (my personal favourite episode of the show). At one point I was concerned that maybe the CMC really were splitting up, and was relieved by the ending, so the episode succeeded in capturing my emotions. Yes, it could have been better, the story was a bit cliché, but it did the job and tied up a lot of loose ends - and I enjoyed it, so can't complian.

As a big CMC fan I don't really mind whether or not this is the last dedicated CMC episode, their story arc has already peaked and they have become more like regular characters now, which is great, I'm sure this is not the last we'll see of them.

16. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Just seen... managed to avoid the spoilers, so bricks came out of you know where when her parents were revealed to like, exist at all :p Good homage to Steve Irwin (or Crocodile Dundee, whatever). Good ep, even if it took a bit longer than necessary to get it through their skulls!

Got to love the big extravagant appreciation day thing :p

RIP numerous headcanons and fanfics

Snowyshy and Blissful690 like this.