1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 9, Episode 13 - Between Dark and Dawn

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 17 June 2019.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Air Date: 22nd June 2019

Written by: Gail Simone

Synopsis: Luna and Celestia take a sister vacation while Twilight and her friends struggle to cover the princesses' many royal duties.

Well, here we are, at the mid-season finale. So no ponies for a few weeks, and only 13 episodes left after this one. D:

A short teaser has been released for this episode:

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after this episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you.

2. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

It is time for
    a new song. And the song was fitting in Italian.

3. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

Pass the job on the someone else :D, oh and try out your peice of kit before you start using it.

Celestia and Luna in holiday mode in holiday gear pretending to be tourists, nice song.

So swans in Equestria are treated as royalty too and are just as ferocious.

Why were the bin ponys on strike? That never got resolved.

Luna's enthusiasm at the post office...classic!

Hmm despite those posh ponys offering their services you couldn't help but feel they were up to something sinister. These committees are always out to take down the leadership.

We're they just pretty much delegating tasks to any pony that was passing by the castle at this late stage?

Poor Twilight, that look on her face with the amulet. I reckon she needs the vacation.

4. Zero Motion

Such a delightful episode.
    Going into this one I knew of Celestia and Luna getting some focus but I thought it was more about them coming to Twilight and telling her they are going on vacation as a trial run of Twi and co as the rulers of Equestria.
    Instead what we actually got was some much-needed development for the two ethereal sisters as well as the first look at Twi and co as rulers.
    I kinda liked their crazy antics of being the "superheroes of Equestria" but coming in to help on every little situation, I think my fave was AJ when she mentioned "they used their magic to float Granny across the street without any traffic", absolutely fantastic.

I do think it was annoying that Fancy Pants knew the entire time that Celestia and Luna never do it themselves yet refused to tell Twi that.
    Especially since he was on good standing with Rarity and all those comments about Rarity's choices, felt a bit out of character.
    Otherwise, the background ponies were fine for this episode, it annoyed me that Derpy/Muffins was involved yet did not speak.
    Oh, and I loved seeing all the attention the sisters got.
    Really wish we got a reference to the comics because twice in the comics, Celestia disguises and blends into the world.
    Was hoping she would do the same as well as disguising Luna, I loved their new looks, the whole 80s style disco Luna and goth Celestia, so awesome to see.

Kinda sucks we had all that talk and hype about a swan celebration party and yet we never got to see the actual party.
    I do love that outside of the throne room, Celestia is an adrenaline junkie whilst Luna is a creative lover.
    Makes me think of "if Rainbow Dash and Rarity went on a vacation" and I think they handled it pretty well.
    The moral was pretty good, Celestia and Luna badly needed this lesson despite the show already teaching it as clearly there were some unresolved issues stemming back from Luna's Nightmare Moon days.
    The new song was rather catchy, so good to hear both of them singing, I'll have to give it another listen but I think on the first listen it was good, really good just not on the same level as the song from "Frenemies".

That ending was just the best way to end it really, Twi messing up with lowering the moon and raising the sun.
    It saddens me that she won't have Starlight to help her, Glimmer could easily work as a replacement for Luna.
    This episode does make me wonder about this exact situation, will the sisters have to step in if Twi can't lower and raise on her own?
    And on that subject, there is a spell for this, right?
    Since if raising the sun is bound to Celestia and raising the moon is bound to Luna's magic, surely that isn't gonna work in the long run... so I'm assuming there is a spell that in the future, once Twi is 100% ready to take over, she will be taught it.

5. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

That was really good, but I'm not quite sure how really good yet...

I feel like there was a fair bit of hype, and I wouldn't actually say I was disappointed, but I don't think it was as good as A Royal Problem. I kinda didn't have as much fun as I have with most of Season 9 so far and yet, it somehow left me with a warm glow inside. I suppose this is the first time they've truly done a slice of life episode, without any higher stakes, really. Luna especially made some absolutely classic faces in this. Her look of exhilaration at teleporting away the latest random monster, and I think the sight of her literally unable to contain her excitement at going away with that squee might just be the most adorable thing I've ever seen.

So the two sisters did a Mare-Do-Well at the start, even carrying Granny Smith across the street as Rainbow Dash once did. I wonder if she slapped each of them with her bag, as well :p. I'm quite glad that didn't last too long, anyway, and their travelling was more fun. The conflict made perfect sense, as well; Celestia had become sick of "doing nothing" and Luna had become equally sick of "adventuring" in ponies' dreams. So they each ended up wanting to do what the other had already been doing for many years. Maybe I feel like they should've gone for a different kind of problem, after they already did that in A Royal Problem, but I like that they tried to find a solution first, even if it eventually fell apart.

The song was a really nice one, and it reminded me a lot of We're Friendship Bound. Maybe it's just my imagination, but it felt like one of the longer songs, like how it used to be in season 1 or 2, and with a reprise, no less. I really liked that montage, with a lot of characters making cameo appearances. I had to notice that it looks like Gilda gets along with Gabby now, and that's a real far cry from Griffon the Brush Off. I'm pretty sure I saw Silverstream flying along while talking to Terramar, which is nice. There were some other fun refernces there as well. As I recall, Twilight Velvet was revealed to be a bit of an adrenaline junkie in season 7, and I think the barrel thing at Neighagra Falls was her favourite activity, or at least something she wanted to try. And also what looked like the Las Pegasus roller coaster Rainbow Dash rode in Grannies Gone Wild, even though it was supposed to have closed. Still, I believe Flim and Flam took over that place when Gladmane lost it, so I think that still follows.

Overall, I think I'm with Luna, in the way of finding excitement in the mundane. I particularly liked that out of anywhere in Equestria to go, she chose to go to Ponyville post office. Despite how it may seem, I think there is some amount of excitement and tension there; with Derpy at the desk, you never know if the postcard will end up with Celestia or Cherry Jubilee :p. Seriously though, I actually think Luna's onto something when she says it's the process that counts. I think that's true for many things in life. I actually really liked the makeover Luna got, as well, while Celestia's was... interesting. I guess the ponies working on her just gave her a look to match the scowl he was wearing. I can't remember if that was Aloe and Lotus or someone else.

I think their inevitable argument was mostly organic, but I did take issue a bit with Luna bringing up that Celestia had banished her to the moon. I think that was uncalled for, and in Celestia's place, I would've been really upset, not just retorting back. "How can you say that? I love you, and you have no idea how hard it was spending 1000 years on my own!" would've been a more appropriate response. It was sweet to see them make up, though.

I'm not entirely convinced the B plot with the MAne six was necessary, but it was okay. My only real issue with that was Fancypants; it's quite hard to believe that the pony who once stood up for Rarity as everyone else was about to turn on her would be so rude to her now. I would've found that more believable if it were Jet Set. I did find it funny that Rainbow Dash was quite annoyed at the apparent randomnes of the Royal Swanifying Ceremony. I actually hadn't considered just how bizzare it sounds until she brought it up. I would've thought Fluttershy would have an easier time charming the swans, though. My only real big question is how they knew when it was time to raise the sun and moon. I thought they knew what the time was based on Celestia and Luna, so that seems to create a paradox. While it obviously can't continue for any length of time, that was quite a light show with the sun and moon at the end. Maybe they should do that for the next festival they have :p.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Luna and Celestia are the same size when other ponies are around, but when they're along, Luna seems physically smaller. It really shouldn't, but the logic of that somehow bothers me. The other thing is that they seem to be intending to give all all of their duties, so I guess Twilight might end up raising the sun and the moon, while Rainbow Dash goes around giving ponies dream therapy?

CuldeeFell likes this.
  6. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I have a big dumb grin on my face. :D

This episode ended up being quite different than I expected. Before I started watching, I thought the Mane 6 trying to rule Equestria would be the A plot, and the Sisters' holiday would be the B plot, but it ended up being the reverse and it made for a rather fun episode.

I liked the song, as well as seeing the various activities they got up to. Luna's excitement at visiting the post office was really adorable, as was her dealing with sunburn. ("That's a thing?" :p ) I love the scene where they awkwardly talk to each other about seeing the sunrise/moon set, and the scene where they finally apologised to each other was really sweet and touching too.

As far as the Mane 6 plot goes, I kind of thought Fancy Pants would have been a bit more helpful earlier? I realise that Twilight and company kind of shut him out early on, due to their misunderstanding of how things work, but yeah, this is the same pony that defended them from the judgement of the Canterlot elite back in S2.

And Twilight definitely needs some practice dealing with the sun and the moon. :p

7. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

This episode just makes me squeeeeee!

I had great fun with this one. I knew going in that Luna would be involved somehow (big fan), which (along with the title) got me hyped. Could this be the last episode she stars in?

Anyhow, what we actually got was a royal sisters episode, with a mane 6 B-plot. After the fact, I'm glad that Celestia also had another chance to shine. To be honest, the mane 6 stuff didn't interest a great deal. It was OK, but more a distraction than anything else.

All the scenes with Celly and Luna had me grinning, or going 'Aww' in the case of the scene where they made up. I loved all the quirky things they did with the background ponies too.

The song! I'm so happy that Aloma Steele sang for Luna again :D. This is easily my favourite song of the season, and in my view the best we've had since 'We're Friendship Bound'. The reprise was also good.

My only real gripe with this episode; the faces often looked overly-distorted. It was kinda jarring at times.

CuldeeFell and Blissful690 like this.
  8. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Time for a royal review!

I was pretty hyped for this episode knowing it was a Celestia and Luna episode. It wasn't as good as A Royal Problem, but it was still a fun episode with a lot of great moments with the two sisters.

I liked the song, mainly for all the cameos, particularly Ember. I also noticed a few excited glances from background ponies at the two princesses.

Celestia's excitement over ziplining was funny to see. Then what does Luna get excited for? The Post Office. It was cute to see her support for the mail though, and I'm a little surprised her postcard didn't end up at Canterlot castle. I guess they just thought it best to hand over to Celestia directly with her being there.

The Mane 6 subplot was the weaker part of the episode. It felt weird seeing Fancy Pants being snobby towards them given how nice he was in Sweet and Elite. Twilight also looked a bit dumb for insisting on doing it by themselves. Clearly those nobles aided Celestia and Luna in the preparations, so why would they expect Twilight to do it without them? The only really good part of this was seeing Twilight freak out over raising the sun and moon.

Candy Yunagi likes this.
  9. Steamworks

Steamworks Habitual Pony

At least we've got Rainbow Roadtrip to stave off The Hiatus for another week after this.

A giant tortoise. This is could be promising.

Assertive Fluttershy didn't even seem to need the stare really.

Seems Luna is a little out of practice. That was corny.

I'm thinking the sisters are going to have a very active retirement.

Did they plant that hole? That was awfully convenient and quick.

Are the sisters just stalking the Mane 6?

Pinkie just suggested a bucket list.

Hawaiian shirts? Luna is a dork. She needs to hang with Cheese Sandwich more.

Hey, they figured out how to go full retirement at the end. Hope that amulet has plenty of juice.

Hey, prancing pony princesses.

Peach farming is a weird choice.

Wicked?

Does Tia hang with Twilight Velvet?

Riding the 'Bolts seems like a bit excessive.

Isn't asking for help an old lesson?

Is that a Gravity Falls nod?

Of course Luna would be exciting about shipping.

'80s Luna.

Goth 'Tia.

I think this episode brings that one comic arc back into canon since the sisters can't seem to get along for long.

You'd think Twi would have realized there's a lot of delegating to do.

I'm surprised there's not a magical cure for sunburn by now.

At least they resolved it without Nightmare Moon and Daybreaker showing up this time.

Blissful690 likes this.
  10. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I've only just seen this this evening, and I have a great big grin on my face.

I loved everything in the Celestia/ Luna half of the episode. The song, the cameos, the locations, but most especially the tension between the two sisters. There's a lot of mileage to be had digging into the relationship between the two of them and addressing the tension between them. Luna asking Celestia if she preferred it when she was still stuck on the moon was a stand out moment because you felt the tension in that barb.

The Mane Six's half was far less interesting, and I agree with the complaints that Fancy Pants seems a lot less nice than he was originally, but ultimately that was a side affair.