1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 9, Episode 14 - The Last Laugh

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 29 July 2019.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

[​IMG]
    Pinkie Pie by pegasis-T3r
    (cc by-nc 3.0)
    Air Date: 3rd August 2019

Written by: Michael P. Fox and Wil Fox

Synopsis: "When Pinkie Pie seeks help from
    her old friend, the super-silly Cheese Sandwich,
    in finding her life's purpose, she discovers the unimaginable has happened."

And... the hiatus is almost over! Okay, this episode has been out in China for ages, so I know some people will have already seen it. But it's been a little while since we've had a full-on Pinkie Pie episode. (Was "Yakity-Sax" the last one?) Interesting that the synopsis talks about her finding her life's purpose... isn't that what cutie marks are for? We'll have to wait and see what that phrase actually means, I suppose. Anyway, it's time to get discussing! :)

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after this episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thanks! :)

2. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

I was one of those who watched the early Chinese release.

3. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I liked it, but I'm not sure it measures up to the first half of the season.

A bit slow to start, I thought, but it did pick up. It does seem to follow the season 9 trend of referencing earlier episodes, while moving at least one character's arc forward. I actually thought earlier on that Cheese had lost his laugh because he started taking comedy too seriously, but I started to doubt it when Pinkie couldn't get anything out of him. He looks good in a ponytail, though, as most ponies seem to. Sans Smirk was a decent character, although no one does deadpan comments like Maud. Though I do like that, because Pinkie grew up with Maud, she literally didn't find anything strange about it. I'm also glad they didn't make him an antagonist. I feel like it would've been easy to make him another Svengallop, or even just a Sassy Saddles.

I find that Cheese's comedy is a bit like Discord: sometimes I find it funny, but it's often a bit too silly for my personal taste (though the same is true for Weird Al himself). I guess I just find Pinkie funnier. Some of it fell flat for me, quite a bit of it had me giggling, but the only thing that really got me was the opera thing in the middle of his song, for some reason. Speaking of which, I found the song much like the episode itself: a bit slow to start, but it did become fun. It actually reminded me more of a Flim Flam song, somehow, actually. I just don't think it was as good as The Goof Off, with its miscellaneous party melodies.

The theme early on of trying to find one's purpose, and people moving on to bigger things was one I found relatable, but it seems like they just dropped it before long. With Quibble Pants having found himself love and a family earlier in the season, I guess I was expecting a similar thing here. It worked well for Cheese, he found himself in a similar situation to Rarity in Canterlot Boutique, except Sans wasn't deliberately restricting his creativity like Sassy did to Rarity. Cheese just needed to be reminded who he is, and why he became a party pony. I felt a bit underwhelmed by the resolution for Pinkie, though. I mean, I can't fault the logic, but it just seemed anti-climatic that she'd already found her purpose, after all the uncertainty she was feeling.

The more I think about it, the more I realise it played out like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory :p. I have to wonder how long Pinkie would've kept talking about her trip, going around and around in circles. I'm thinking several hours before she abruptly falls asleep. I get the feeling that someone, probably Twilight asked her to tell them everything, and regretted her choice of words. I'll also assume Pinkie was being metaphorical when she talks about putting Rainbow Dash's funny bone in a cast for a week, but you never know with her :p. To be fair, Rainbow is probably the most immature, aside from Pinkie herself. She did find giving Twilight a literal mud bath when they first met a bit too funny :p.

4. Zero Motion

Just saw the episode, I knew it was gonna be the return of Cheese Sandwich and in turn, another glorious Pinkie episode.

However I did not know the details of what the episode would entail.
    I was quite surprised with how much it reminded me of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, almost wished we got to see the Golden Ticket aspect come in.

Pinkie is my favourite of the mane six, I adore her and that stays true for this episode.
    Yes, I get the idea of Pinkie finding her "true purpose in life" has been over-done but I think this serves as a great episode to reflect on the mane six in general.
    We already see character development for Twilight as she's perfectly happy when Pinkie says she is gonna rule Equestria, compared to the premiere episodes, she's changed and this episode reflects that.
    I am rather curious about the other 3 since this episode seemed to end Pinkie's character development, I am curious how they'll end Rarity, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash.
    I assume Twilights big ending is during the finale, haven't seen the trailer as I wanna go into it blind as much as I can.

Cheese is a delight, so glad to have Weird Al back, his version of a moody, depressed Cheese Sandwich was so enjoyable to watch.
    Sans Smirk was an interesting character after I saw him take off the realistic Cheese mask, I figured he'd be the corrupt ruler of the factory, who hates anything fun and is draining Cheese of his laughter.
    The song was ok but not up to par with some of the best songs, I do think it's enjoyable.
    The resolution was not what I had expected, I kinda wanted them to try a different type of humour since I thought he got desensitized to classical humour and was expecting satire to spice things up but alas.

As for Pinkie, I personally think this was a nice way to end her character.
    Similar to Applejacks episode with Going to Seed, this episode allowed Pinkie to be someone outside of her comfort zone.
    She was able to help someone who she describes multiple times as just like her, in that sense she used Cheese to help herself.
    Pinkie is finally fulfilled with her life, that's a hard lesson to learn and yet she knows she's truly happy living her life, otherwise, she'd end up like Cheese was, lost, misguided onto a strange path.
    She knows who she is, what she's doing and best of all, she's constantly having fun with it.
    To some it seems like she made no progress since she didn't change but that's just it, she chose not to change, Sans Smirk gave her the option to work at the company, she showed she has the exact skills they were looking for.
    And yet she declined because she knows in her heart what she is meant to do and that is what she needed to see Cheese for, she needed to know whether what she's doing is even the right path for her.
    As someone following a creative pathway, I can completely relate to her, I constantly had the fear of wondering "am I on the right path?" during my first year of University, so many nights did I stay up constantly wondering whether I should quit and get a "real job" however I stuck with it and I'm about to enter my final year, ready for any new challenge.
    I no longer have that fear because I've chosen to allow life to happen rather than to worry about a challenge in the future, Pinkie has done the same and I'm so proud of her.

5. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. :)

Pinkie was a joy to watch. One of her best outings in a long time. If this is her final focus episode then I think she's had a great send-off.

Great to see Cheese again, and for Weird Al to return. When the factory and his 'loss of laughter' was first revealed, I assumed it would just be because of running the factory. I was also worried that Sans Smirk would turn into a villain of sorts, ruling over Cheese and taking the fun out of it. So I was pleasantly surprised when it went down the route it did. Sans actually turned out to be a genuinely good pony. And I can totally see how Cheese could suffer from not seeing the effects of his gags in person.

Cheese Sandwich was bound to get a song. For the most part is was pretty standard Wierd-Al style polka. However that section in the middle with Pinkie and the reverb sounds was pretty cool!

The way they rounded up the life goals of all the mane 6 was a nice touch, that felt rather poignant. Pinkie's was arguably the least clear-cut, so it's good that they addressed it. Sometimes its OK to just keep doing what you already do well, eh? Poor AJ couldn't catch a break though. :p

Zero Motion and Blissful690 like this.
  6. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

Well, officially my worst episode ever. It's the very first time that that I've not made it to the end of an episode on first watch. 15 minutes, oh dear and hit the big red X in the top right corner of the computer screen. Just dull and pointless to that point, even the song couldn't save it.

7. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Just managed to watch this episode after struggling a bit to find it this week. Nice to see Cheese Sandwich return, along with a full blown Pinkie ep.

Interesting to see Pinkie feeling a little unsure of her destiny. Her skills were clearly on show with all her zany ideas for gags. Still, surely her long distant relative Applejack would've shown her that not every pony needs to fulfil big ambitions to be happy. Good to see her realise that in the end.

I did giggle after seeing Boneless 2 turn away from Cheese in his chair. That was when you knew it was serious! :p

I also liked how Twilight stopped Pinkie from doing a full circle with her story. I wonder if she'd have kept going round in circles if nopony had stepped in?

I rather enjoyed this, and it's kicked off the second half of the season rather nicely. I must say I prefer the Goof Off to the Last Laugh as a song, but Weird Al has given a great encore to his previous classic episode. I hope the next episode is as fun!

8. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I watched this on Saturday, but I’ve been a bit lazy about writing anything about it. :p

I liked the bit where Pinkie went through her friends’ life purposes, particularly:
    - Twilight’s little smile (and the fact she stayed calm! :p ) when reminded that she will one day rule Equestria.
    - Fluttershy was adorable.
    - AJ’s annoyed look when Pinkie said that she “has that hat”, and her oddly rather pleased look when Pinkie added “and the farm, so that’s like TWO things!”

I liked Sans Smirk (love the name too. :p ) I thought he had more sinister intentions at first, but I think the fact that he actually was well intentioned made him likeable.

It was great to see Cheese Sandwich again, though I must say it was odd to hear him so serious at first. :p I can certainly understand why he’d be happier playing a more active role in making ponies smile and laugh.

A lot of Pinkie-focused episodes have fallen flat with me, but although this episode doesn’t reach the epic level that “Pinkie Pride” did, I’m pleased to count it as one of the exceptions. If this is the end of Pinkie’s character arc, they’ve done well in wrapping things up. :)

Oilyvalves and Blissful690 like this.
  9. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

This was an interesting one, in that I didn't like it much at all on first viewing, but improved my opinion considerably the second time around. I was frankly rather bored the first time, partly because everything was so darn grey and listless (I know that was the point, but still) and partly because I couldn't think where the plot was going. Things picked up a lot in the last third, and once I knew that was coming it put what had gone before into context. I enjoyed it much more then. I think knowing Sans Smirk was a genuine good guy and not another Svengallop helped, too. I also feel it's a reasonably satisfying end to Pinkie Pie's character arc, though (as with several other of the Mane Six's equivalents) not perhaps as good as it should have been for such a landmark.

Oh, and the song wasn't bad. It wasn't as good as several of the songs from "Pinkie Pride" -- but then "The Last Laugh" wasn't as good as the S4 episode. In fact, it wasn't in the same league for me. Still, "Pinkie Pride" is one of my favourite episodes of all time, so matching it would have been a tall order. Overall then, I think "The Last Laugh" was decent. It could certainly have been better, but (on rewatching, at least) it was reasonably good.

Longer, more waffly review on my blog for anyone interested: http://louderyay.blogspot.com/2019/08/episode-review-s9e14-last-laugh.html

CuldeeFell and Oilyvalves like this.
  10. Steamworks

Steamworks Habitual Pony

Spoilering just in case it goes long. Also getting to this one later than intended. Stupid warm room in the evenings and 7 day stretch at work.

Cheese Sandwich having an amusement factory seems like a Weird Al thing to do.

That cupcake is still better than those muffins back in Our Town.

Willy Wonka nod with the closed factory?

That banana peel may not be slick enough. DIdn't get enough speed during its little trip.

Is the turtleneck a nod to Steve Jobs?

Cheese's mane in the ponytail reminds me of Weird Al's look in the "It's All About the Pentiums" video.

Sounds like Cheese has depression.

Pinkie seems all about subverting expectations in her gags this time 'round.

She figured it out. He's just gotta give a smile to get a smile, and it's so special to him.

The song does kinda fall flat, but I think that's because I want to compare it to FiM's run and Weird Al's run, which is a tall order.

I kinda want to say there's nothing terribly wrong with the whole episode, but it's not that great, and it did have to live up to the standards of Pinkie Pride, so yeah.

CuldeeFell and Zero Motion like this.
  11. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I took a while to get around to watching this episode as I've been away for the past couple of weeks, and then I had technical difficulties when watching it which meant I kept having to pause it so I'm maybe less kindly disposed to it than I would have been otherwise, but my main reaction to it is that I'm underwhelmed.

The only thing I knew before going in was that it was the one where Cheese Sandwich returned, and pretty much the only thing I think I'm going to remember about it is that it's the one where Cheese Sandwich returned (and had a factory). For a Pinkie Pie/ Weird Al episode this was incredibly dry. I liked the moral/ message/ resolution that Cheese needed to make others smile but it took a long time getting there. I agree with people that Sans Smirk gave off a sinister vibe that screamed "villain hiding in plain sight" and to me it felt weirdly off when he wasn't a villain. If he was just a normal pony then why that weirdly creepy introduction with the mask?

All in all "The Last Laugh" had a lot to live up to, and was almost inevitably going to fall a little bit flat, but even taking that into account it was disappointing just how flat it fell.

Oilyvalves likes this.