1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 9, Episode 17 - The Summer Sun Setback

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 19 August 2019.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Summer Sun Celebration by Imalou
    Air Date: 24th August 2019

Written by: Michael Vogel

Synopsis: Twilight is determined to make Celestia and Luna's last Summer Sun Celebration memorable, but things start going horribly wrong.

Have some "d'awww" for a header image. :p

Filly Twi has no idea yet what a profound impact her moment of awe and inspiration will have on her life, let alone how significant future Summer Sun Celebrations will be to her. :)

I've been looking forward to this one ever since the synopsis for it was released many weeks ago. :D

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after this episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you.

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

This is a good sign in my book! The last episode he wrote was "Frenemies", and we know how that turned out. Really quite hyped for this one, and intrigued to find out what goes "horribly wrong". I've avoided almost all spoilers, so it could be absolutely anything. Two Twilight episodes in a row is a bit unusual, but this one looks like it'll be more what we'd expect of her than the trivia ep was. I suspect I'll prefer this one, but we shall see. :)

Bridle Timeout likes this.
  3. Bridle Timeout

He’s written quite a few solid eps in my opinion, so I’m cautiously optimistic. ;)

Loganberry likes this.
  4. Loganberry

Vogel episodes so far:

"A Hearth's Warming Tail"
    "Spice Up Your Life"
    "Every Little Thing She Does"
    "The Mean 6"
    "What Lies Beneath"
    "Best Gift Ever"
    "Frenemies"

Obviously it's all subjective, but for my money that makes him the best writer the show has had in the last few seasons. :)

5. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

I got another SUmmer Sunset ep as wished

6. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

It was good, certainly met the standard for this season so far.

I might need to give this one a rewatch. It's been a weird day, and I might not have enjoyed it as much as I could've. In any case, this was quite different from what I expected. I'd actually say this was the opposite to last week's in every way. I think I enjoyed it about the same, since this had the solid character development, interesting plot and continuity the last one lacked, while this one lacked the sense of fun that one had. Twilight's character development is great, but it does seem a bit sudden, especially after last week. Even then, that she'd completely solve that problem since Between Dark and Dawn seems like a bit of a stretch. It understandably took Fluttershy several years to get to where she is. I kinda hoped to see her using that breathing technique Cadence taught her back in Games Ponies Play.

This was a nice continuation from Frenemies. I'm kind of impressed that they didn't get caught, but it kinda diminishes the impact of Sparkle's Seven a little bit. They did work well together, and I like that after Tirek led them up Mount Everhoof, Chrysalis led a stealth mission this time. Of course, I was also reminded of Twilight sneaking around at the end of It's About Time. I liked some of the small touches, like Tirek playing Chess with Cozy, and her whimsical, cheerful expression as she hovers merrily toward her means of conquering the world. That still almost creeps me out, in a good way. I think it's interesting that they intend to sow discord among the different pony races. I initially thought we'd come too far for that, but there have been a number of moments that imply some tension, and the implication that Ponyville is more diverse than most places. Even so, is that really a good idea for them? Do they really intend to stand again windigos? Along with risking the mane six or student six stopping them, Grogar finding them out and the possibility of friendship coming from within them, their chances actually don't look too good. I couldn't help but notice their ending dialogue suggests they have different ideas about what their endgame should be...

So Discord basically played the same role as in The Beginning of the End again. I hope he actually pulls his weight if they really need him. Overall, this actually felt similar to The Mean Six, without some of the problems that episode had. Of course, there was also the basic structure of All Bottled Up, and From Dusk to Dawn. I kinda thought Twilight would replace the Summer Sun celebration with an annual Festival of Friendship. She could still do that for a different time of year, and I think it would be quite meaningful if she did, after taking the throne.

A practice session for raising the sun? Wouldn't ponies notice that? Though far stranger thing have happened before now...

Blissful690 likes this.
  7. Zero Motion

Zero Motion Active Pony

I went in knowing practically nothing about this one, I did know that it was receiving a lot of positive feedback.
    Originally I had heard this was a Twi based episode about her younger years as a filly, I thought it was gonna be about her time at Celestia's School but a lot more developed than what we had seen.
    Thank goodness it wasn't that because this episode was fantastic.

I absolutely love Twi's development, sure compared to the last episode it seems like a drastic change but I don't think it is.
    The trivia trot is something Twi has worked for as a personal goal, so it only stands to reason it would mean a lot to her since she knows it's not anything major and it's just for personal gain.
    Compared, ruling Equestria is something she's gotten used to, she never wanted it, she was given this responsibility and has accepted it slowly over this season so far.
    Another major difference is that the trivia trot is something she has to work hard to attain, whilst with ruling Equestria, she has no competition, sure there's Discord but in reality she knows she's going to be the ruler no matter what, as her friends acted in the premiere, "there's no one better for the job" and that resonates so well with her character.
    Hence I think the way she acted towards ruling over Equestria and the trivia trot are both acceptable forms of her mental state.
    She knows now she can count on her friends 100%, even after the events of this episode when it comes to ruling Equestria whereas with the trivia trot, she got too blindsided and focused on the wrong thing.

Anyways this episode was fantastic, not best of the season but easily top 3 for me.
    I love the twist from Twi by making the Summer Sun Solistice into the Festival of the Two Sisters, so sweet and tender, accompanied with Celestia's adorable hug with Twi as well, this is what I'm hoping the final episode/epilogue episode is gonna be filled with.

Discord was decent, his satire/meta humour will never run dry on me.
    When Twi was delegating and splitting off her friends I thought Rarity was going to be paired up with Discord and was excited at the chance to see those two interact together but then I realised, "oh wait, Spike's still a thing."
    Speaking of forgetting about characters, surprised at the lack of Starlight, Trixie and the Student Six, granted I think the Students are at home as part of a "school holiday" thing but Starlight I think at least should have appeared, mostly since the threat wasn't anything major so I don't think she would have changed the outcome.
    I just feel, as Twi's student, Starlight should see her teacher in her important moments.

Love that we got fan favourites like Braeburn returning, as well as Tirek stealing magic, so good.
    That scene with Chrysalis disguised as a guard was priceless, really goes to show just how well done Twi's plan in Sparkle Seven was.
    I just love all the continuity they've kept from past episodes, mainly Sparkle's Seven.
    This is the kind of level and skill I was expecting of season 9 after Frenemies.

Speaking of Frenemies, I just love the trio of Tirek, Chrysalis and Cozy Glow, I beg we get a new comic book series that focuses just on them from IDW.
    They compliment each other so well, they're building up to so much with the bell and now the idea of manipulating each race of pony, at least I think that's what Cozy and Chrysalis were talking about.
    I'm sure the obvious moment of one of them betraying the other two is coming but until that obvious moment arrives I'm so happy with their chemistry.
    It's rather interesting that Cozy isn't a wanted pony since if she were, the weather pony should have recognized her but since he didn't we can likely assume she isn't wanted, which means it's highly likely that no one has checked Tartarus to see if they are still there.
    I'm so hyped for the ending, I just hope the payoff is good since I doubt we'll get another episode like this before the finale.
    I'm rather curious what Grogar found, maybe another teammate to replace Sombra?
    Not sure myself but hyped for whatever they give us.
    This episode is easily just as good as Frenemies, it really helps that Twi has truly learned and developed as a character, a true princess role model for all of us to admire.

Blissful690 likes this.
  8. Bridle Timeout

Sooo much better than last week's episode. :)

It was awesome to see Cozy Glow, Tirek and Chryssy again. Chryssy seems less... unhinged than before? Maybe having Cozy and Tirek as friends is helping her cope with the loss of her kingdom? Not that she would admit it, of course. :p

I liked Discord in this episode, and how his instructions were to keep "Discord from doing anything Discord-y". :p

Celestia and Luna mentioning their impending retirement really drives the point home that the series is ending soon. :( Especially when they said that this would be the last Summer Sun Celebration.

I liked the continuity nods to previous episodes, particularly the increased security measures from "Sparkle's Seven", and the fact that ponies stay up all night for the Summer Sun Celebration from the first episode.

Twilight conducted herself very well in this episode, in very sharp contrast to last week's episode. I guess that's what they may have been going for? She did mention the "odd trivia game" :p

I feel like "Twilighting" was becoming a bit forced, particularly last week. It is true that freaking out has long been a character trait of hers, and it can be an adorable quirk if done right. I'm glad this episode showed her more authoritative and organised side. I think she was right to be annoyed with her friends for not telling her when things were going wrong, but she said what needed to be said, and they got on with setting things right together. :)

At the actual Summer Sun Celebration, it was awesome to see Twilight lower the moon and raise the sun... and smoothly too. :D I thought it was sweet and touching that Twi wanted to celebrate Celestia and Luna by making the Summer Sun Celebration into the Festival of the Two Sisters. (Come to think of it... I wonder if the average pony even knows yet that Tia and Luna plan to retire?)

Adorable hug between Celestia and Twilight. :D

As far as the villains go, the trio did manage to get that book and get out of Canterlot. I'm beginning to wonder though if Grogar suspects what they're up to and is actually playing them for fools...

So, yeah, I really enjoyed this one. They really showed Twilight's strengths in this, and I'm pleased at that. :)

Zero Motion and Blissful690 like this.
  9. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Time for a Summer Sun Celebration!

I got a little excited when I saw this ep had Tirek, Cozy and Chrysalis together again, but this didn't hit the bar Frenemies set. If anything this just seems like more setting up for the finale. Twi is settling into her new role and the villains are moving their plans forward.

Speaking of Twilight, this felt like quite a U-turn after last week's episode! She's gone from descending into madness over a trivia contest to being totally calm and collected under pressure. :confused:

It was sweet of her to change the festival name to honour the two sisters, although it will still be the Summer Sun Celebration to me. Luna just needs a Winter festival in her honour... although she does have Nightmare Night I guess.

I'm surprised Luna has kept those geese around given all their false alarms in Sparkles Seven. It was nice to see that reference though.

Discord was... there. Just teasing how he can solve everything but doesn't because "character building". Like in the premier it just kills the tension, although this was less serious this time.

This was an okay episode. It was good to see the villain trio again at least.

10. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

That was an entertaining episode with a lot going on in it.

So many moving parts in fact it felt a bit cluttered at times. It clearly had a lot of jobs to do moving multiple story arcs on at once: Grogar has a new plan, the villain three have a plan to move against him, Twilight's becoming more comfortable with ruling Equestria and has stopped panicking about everything. Twilight's freak-outs earlier this season (particularly in "The Beginning of the End" and "The Point of No Return") have probably been the most complained about thing in Season Nine (it feels to me anyway) so I'm sure the progress she's clearly made here will please a lot of people.

Not everything felt natural though. The opening conversation where the Frenemies trio decide to break into the Canterlot Archives was a very forced piece of exposition. None of them question the plan, they just all agree to it. No time to argue, we have a story to get to.

The other thing that bothered me was Chrysalis persuading the fireworks ponies they were unhappy with doing fireworks. We're told these unicorns are some of the most skilled at creating fireworks displays in Equestria. Presumably they've worked for years to get to this point. Surely they must care about fireworks. And yet they throw it all away after one brief conversation? I'm not buying it.

Possibly the least Discord has done in an episode ever? Normally whenever he appears he becomes the centre of attention by default, but here he was present without doing much.

A solid episode then, but one that tried to bite off a lot and could perhaps have done with being more focussed. I'm not sure either the Mane Six or villains halves of the story got enough time to breathe, but it kept me entertained throughout, so not too shabby.

Robshi, Zero Motion and Candy Yunagi like this.
  11. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Finally a good one again after the past few mehpisodes!

12. Loganberry

Not much time to write a proper comment, but the spoiler period is over, so in brief: my favourite since "Between Dark and Dawn" and well ahead of the last two episodes. Much preferred this Twilight to Trivia Trot Twilight. Fun to see the Legion of Doom again, though a notch down from "Frenemies" I feel. (eg how did Tirek hide himself in Canterlot? Cozy is small enough to sneak, and Chrysalis can transform, but Tirek?) Some surprising comments about potential tensions between pony tribes -- @Candy Yunagi alluded to this in her comment. Reminded me of "Flight to the Finish", where the CMC talk as though Ponyville was special in having harmony between the tribes.

Back to this episode: Discord was fairly boring, which is rare for him. Most of all, though, the ending was interesting. I really want to see where this is leading up to -- does Grogar actually suspect the Legion are plotting against him, and is just playing along for now? Soon all will be revealed! But yep, a very good (though not quite perfect) episode, and I'm satisfied. :)

13. Steamworks

Steamworks Honorary Pony

As usual, spoilering more to prevent potential page stretching than anything.

Back to the Legion of Doom. This should be good.

Roadtrip? Can we get a song like with Starlight and Trixie?

I don't think they need to drop the Summer Sun Celebration. No reason to drop a fun tradition just because of a little royal retirement.

I wanna see what was written on Discord's card.

Those guards don't look too concerned with a potential security breech.

And Discord's card was great.

And we get Braeburn again. Is this his last appearance?

That's a bit of an overreaction to some potentially bad food.

Okay, is Tirek getting in on Lex Luthor's dessert stealing gig?

Does this weather nerd not find it suspicious a foal has it all figured out?

This leader of the fireworks squad has a neat design.

Chryssy picking at racial tensions. A good tactic.

At least they arrived at the obvious solution of Discord quickly.

This is kind of feeling like the set up for a two parter. Too bad it's not.

Should've locked those medals to specific bodies/souls. Would've fixed that little security flaw.

I think AJ has some repressed anger issues going on there.

They really ought to have brought back that "totally not the A-Team theme" used way back when the CMC were setting up that trap for Babs with the apple cart thing.

This is Canterlot. No idea why they couldn't mobilize the armed forces to lend a hoof in at least fixing up the weather.

Twi's raising of the sun isn't as impressive as Tia's.

The Doctor and Rose.

And Twi saved the celebration for future years.

And there's Cozy's manipulative nature coming out. Wait, wait, is Cozy Charles Manson? Here she is suggesting a race war. Is Helter Skelter her favorite song?

Blissful690 likes this.
  14. Bridle Timeout

Give her some credit... it didn’t go ping-pong-ing all over the sky this time. :p

Zero Motion likes this.
  15. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I was very impressed with this episode on first viewing. Having just given it a 2nd watch, I'd say it's vying with Frienemies for my favourite of the season so far. :D

I'm not surprised considering it was written by Mike Vogel. The episode felt really well crafted to me; non of the different plot lines seemed to drag, unlike in Between Dark and Dawn. There was a lot going on, but I don't think it felt cluttered. Maybe just the ceremony at the end felt a little rushed.

Great to spend more time with the villain trio; they're really good fun. That teaser at the end got me excited! Most of the mane 6 (and Spike!) had good roles to play. And I liked Discord here. I love how they animate Fluttershy interacting with him. The firework ponies had cool designs (particularly the leader). It was also nice see Braeburn again; it's been a while? The inclusion of the panicking weather pony was a smart way of contrasting how calm Twilight had become. The royal sisters were very sweet in the brief roles they played.

A few things stood out that raised the bar of this episode to me. The animation looked fantastic, particularly during the stormy sky segments. The music cues worked well, and the montage near the end felt particularly special. I like seeing the Summer Sun festival again, particularly as it gives me Princess Twilight Sparkle vibes.

There were only a couple of major downfalls for me. Pinkie had quite a poor showing; she was written nowhere near as well as in The Last Laugh. Also, Twi's ability to stay calm felt a bit too sudden. That's really more the fault of the other episode preceding this one. But I was actually on the mane six's side; from what we've seen, Twi would normally be freaking out a lot.