1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 9, Episode 18 - She Talks to Angel

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 30 August 2019.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

[​IMG]
    Fluttershy and Angel by shimabao

Air Date: 31st August 2019

Written by: Nick Confalone

Synopsis: "When Fluttershy and Angel Bunny's relationship hits the skids, Zecora gives them a potion to help them understand each other."

Okay, this one looks interesting! It's been quite some while since we've properly explored the relationship between Fluttershy and Angel -- and his awful behaviour in "Putting Your Hoof Down" gave the bunny a reputation that some fans (okay, me :p) don't feel is entirely deserved. It will be interesting to see what Nick Confalone does with the concept. It's also nice to see Zecora involved again, though time will tell whether she's a major part of this episode or just there to hoof over the potion. Anyway, discussion is now open! :)

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after this episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thanks! :)

2. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

Typical filler episode this. The best bits really were the little things and whitty lines here and there.

OK the body swap thing, been done before, in some respects quite predictable. So really for me what this had to go on was everything else.

"I'm going to marry Discord" :p

Nice to see Zecora back with her usual rhyming. She played a similar role like in previous episodes she's been invovled in. Nothing really added here.

Overall it wasn't thrilling and quite predictable but I suppose still fun and had its moments.

3. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I'm gonna say the season seems to be back on track, these past few weeks.

Freaky Friiiiiiiiiday, Things ain't goin' myyyyyyyyy way~♪

But seriously, it was good. I kinda thought that Magical Mystery Cure would end up as the closest we'd get to a body swap episode. I still think it would've been way more fun seeing the mane six switch around, including Twilight. But this was fun. I still have many questions about how the food chain works now that Fluttershy's involved. Are prey still fair game in the wild? Can all of these predators survive without eating their prey? Has Fluttershy only just noticed this happening?

It's interesting to see Angel given a voice. I'm pretty sure he reminds me of someone else from MLP, but I can't quite place it. I do like that when he decided to speak nonsense to ponies around him, he didn't actually do anything particularly rude. It just freaked them out cause they thought Fluttershy had finally snapped :p. I liked his impression of her, but I'll assume the comment about Discord was just an immature "Who's that, your boyfriend? lol" type comment. I feel like his disregard for Fluttershy's responsibilities would've been funnier if it weren't so dangerous, though. I do kinda wish we could've seen more of Flutterbunny, as well. I know she couldn't talk, but maybe we could've heard her thoughts? Also, she can stare down a cockatrice, but not a falcon? Bunny instincts, maybe.

I feel like her tension with him before switching was a bit more than we'd expect, but I really like that the episode shows the effects of her working two jobs. She's quite stretched, and her behaviour becmoes more believable. Angel is pretty childlike, but he's actually done much worse before. Even before switching, I feel like he was also well portrayed. Unsurprisingly, Zecora knew exactly what she was doing, and the fire lizard was probably an excuse. I wonder what would've happened if they hadn't taken them together. Would they both have been in Fluttershy's body? That would've made for a similar episode where it looked like Fluttershy had a split personality, I guess. I also love how Zecora never promised she wouldn't do it again. I'd like to imagine that becomes a thing in Ponyville; every so often, pairs of ponies swap bodies, and being Ponyville, they'd adjust pretty quickly.

Zero Motion and Blissful690 like this.
  4. Zero Motion

Zero Motion Active Pony

Getting to this rather late, family gathers do tend to take up a lot of free time.
    Anyways, looks like we got the Fluttershy end episode.
    It was... nice?
    I dunno, it pales in comparison to last weeks but it wasn't terrible.
    As soon as I saw the two potions I was hoping for a mind swap situation and yeah, we pretty much got that.
    Kinda glad since although it is a cliche it was so needed for this episode.

Angel has always been a prick, except now he has a validated reason for it.
    I do like the idea that Angel can help out rather than be a prick.
    I kept thinking whilst they were swapped that Fluttershy needed an assistant.
    Glad they kept referencing the fact that Fluttershy was busy with both the school and the sanctuary, shows they understand where she stands and is focusing on how that impacts everyone else around her.
    I loved his version of Fluttershy, not sure if I heard it right but did he say something about wanting to "marry Discord" as in he believes that Fluttershy has a thing for Discord based on the interactions he's seen with them.
    Very interesting little thing to slip in there.

I will always enjoy Zecora in an episode.
    Something about her reactions, especially in this episode that makes me think rather than naturally rhyming she chooses to do it and takes a moment after reacting to something to think of the perfect rhyme.
    I like that she played the Celestia/Twilight role since she saw their situation and instantly knew what to do about it, reminds me of when Starlight switched Celestia and Luna's cutiemark, except more relaxed.
    I hope she has at least one more appearance, it would suck if this is her final appearance, although she was shown well, as the all-knowing, guide for the episode.

I felt this was a fine episode like a 5/10, not nearly as good as the Season 9 quality but fine, I'd say compared to the other Mane Six ending episodes, I'd prefer this over AJs and Dashies but not over Pinkies.
    Similar to the others, this episode featured a heavy focus on an aspect of Fluttershy's element, with Angel's newfound kindness towards the other animals of the sanctuary as well as his kindness towards Fluttershy and in turn her kindness to him, I guess you could also use respect instead but I think kindness works.
    So now I'm expecting a Rarity episode about generosity and a Twilight episode on Magic sometime soon.

5. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Finally more
    Zecora

6. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Angel bunny is best pony... that is all.

Seriously, this has to be one of my favorites because of the scenario that happened.

Blissful690 likes this.
  7. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

This was a pretty fun episode. Season 9 has really been on a roll following the hiatus.

It was very interesting getting to hear Angel's thoughts when he swapped bodies. His nonsense spouting, "I wanna marry Discord" along with his line of thinking with regard to Fluttershy's chores was very amusing. It is a shame we didn't get to hear Fluttershy's thoughts as a bunny as someone suggested though. Seeing her flail around as a bunny got fairly old pretty quickly.

I did enjoy the reactions from ponies to this whole situation, especially the vet who seemed pretty clueless as to what exactly happened until the very end!

Angel wants the limited concentrated carrot extract because he likes the taste. Typical selfish bunny!

It was nice to get an answer about predator and prey relationships in Equestria. I'm sure a few of us have wondered how Flutters would react to the crueller side of nature. It seems she looks for meat free alternatives whilst predators are in her care.

It was nice to see Zecora back, even if it appears she hasn't learned not to cause ponies more problems than they bargained for with her cures.

Overall, another really enjoyable episode.

8. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I had fun with this one. :)

This is probably Fluttershy's send-off, and I thought it was reasonably good. The whole body-swap scenario played out rather brilliantly, getting to hear Angel speak his thoughts. Things turned out sweetly in the end, but it was certainly a ride getting there!

I found it a little jarring seeing the animals try to eat each other. Poor little ellie! It was nice to have the vet pony (I forget her name) and Zecora back though. Not to mention the sanctuary, which we've had in the new intro for 2 seasons but barely gets a mention otherwise.

9. Steamworks

Steamworks Habitual Pony

We're getting closer and closer to the finale. Blah.

What's a snake doing trying to eat an elephant?

Not sure veganism is all that great for more predators.

I think it's about time for Fluttershy to take on some staff.

That's a more physical switch than I expected. Also, Zecora probably should have said what was going to happen.

Seems Angel taking Shy's body has fixed her mane.

And The Stare. Hasn't it been a while since we saw that?

I wonder if Zecora understood that more than she let on.

This plan seems foolproof.

And it worked better than expected.

At least Angel didn't get a chance to chug all that carrot juice concentrate.

And thus we close out Angel's arc with a redemption.

Zero Motion and Blissful690 like this.
  10. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I haven't looked at any synopses or spoilers for the remaining episodes, but just on the grounds of basic arithmetic this was probably the final Fluttershy episode.

Given that, I'm glad it was a good one. Not "Hurricane Fluttershy" or "Filli Vanilli" level good, but a really enjoyable episode nonetheless. I'm glad we've finally taken some time to explore Fluttershy and Angel Bunny's relationship, and I was extremely happy with how this episode handled it. The moral that neither were entirely in the wrong and they both needed to better appreciate the other's perspective was a good one.

Andrea Libman, who has never had the largest range of the voice actors, did a good job with Angel's pony voice. It was clearly both the same voice and also a different character, and Andrea Libman did well with it.

The other character who came out of this well was Zecora, who got the best character development here she's had in years. The scene where Fluttershy-bunny arrives at her cottage and Zecora knows perfectly well it's Fluttershy but pretends not to know in order to teach Fluttershy a lesson was masterfully well done.

It wasn't too meme heavy but Fluttershy's acknowledgement that between them the sanctuary and Twilight's school don't leave her with much time for anything else did feel like a subtle dig at the infeasibility of the Mane Six being teachers given their existing commitments. Also Angel's line about Fluttershy wanting to marry Discord wasn't something I'd normally expect to here (but it was funny).

Overall though this was a solid relationship story, executed through a fun and memorable fantasy premise. I may be biased because Fluttershy, but this was a good episode.

Edit: Forgot to add:
    Surely that "fire lizard" should have been called a salamander? I guess Hasbro thought children wouldn't know what a salamander was.

11. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I suspect it's because the lizard in the episode is more of a mythical salamander than the sort that actually exists in our world, so Hasbro felt that confusing a real and an imaginary creature with the same name would be, well, confusing.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  12. Recurrent Trotting

I am so out of sequence after all the leeks or scheduling or w/e

anyway I watched this ages ago and thought it was an above average Flutter ep. have always wondered about the angel/flutter dynamic. Still love a good pony message of walking in another pony's horse-shoes :3