1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 9, Episode 19 - Dragon Dropped

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 5 September 2019.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Air Date: 7th September 2019

Written by: Josh Haber

Synopsis: "Rarity worries she's done something to upset Spike when he stops making time for her."

Not a lot to go on with that synopsis, is there? So we can all speculate to our hearts' content about just why Spike prefers to do something other than see Rarity. It's a Josh Haber episode, so I'd guess it may be quite light in tone, but we'll see. I don't think there's much else to say here, so I'll just add the usual: discussion is now open!

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after this episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thanks! :)

2. Streamline

Streamline Well-Known Pony

It was like this was going somewhere where we may end up having some answers and home truths laid to rest however.....

Not seen Rare for a while (and Spike for that matter) in a focused episode so nice return for them.

This really felt it showed Rarity taking advantage over the years of Spike's 'crush' feelings for her, in order to do all these tasks, and suddenly it hits home when he's developed a close friendship with someone else that she's on her own.

In a way I was hoping this episode might have given the game away for Spike, or just a tiny bit, in the fact that Rarity realises how he felt towards her for so many years, and how that sort've played in her favour with all the work he did for her, where she really had to do nothing in return apart from all the pleasant remarks. Then discovering that Spike was getting close with Gabbie would have changed her a bit and come to accept that she isn't going to get all that time with him any more, and in a way it would change her behaviour a bit because she does have a tendency to not realise other characters emotions and genuine feeling and focuses on her own way too much (the whole 'laying on the couch dramatic scene thing').

Instead, whilst the episode was bulding up to this, we didn't get it in the end. It became a 'I will have to share him with someone else' conclusion, so I reckon they missed a trick here and could've made this a lot more interesting and developing as a conclusion. Given this is the final season for Gen 4, I really did feel that the whole 'Spike has a thing for Rarity' plot was going to come to fruition here in some form but we miss out on it afterall.

Candy Yunagi likes this.
  3. Zero Motion

Zero Motion Active Pony

Woop, final Rarity episode from the looks of it and it's a rather entertaining one.
    I was hoping for some talk about Spike and Rarity's relationship, over the years it was treated as an unrequited crush but this episode seems to develop it further into the final form of their relationship.
    Rarity seems fond of Spike but not enough for a relationship yet she values him and his useful skills.
    Therefore turning this unrequited crush into a requited crush, just not in the exact same way since as much as Rarity loves Spike and his useful skills she is not in love with him and after this episode, he doesn't seem to be with her.

Spike seems to be falling for Gabby so much so that he blushes at the chance of spending time with her at the end.
    That as well as the way he acts after he and Gabby fight are clear signs of a developing relationship.
    I personally think it's great, Spike deserves someone to make him happy and other than Pinkie Pie, no one is happier than Gabby Griffon.
    I'd honestly say I ship them so hard after this episode, more so than Sandbar and Yona, even though that was a more confirmed ship, I just sense this great energy from Gabby and Spike, like they really do complement each other.

Personally I think this was a great episode as it highlights Rarity's relationship with Spike as well as Spike and Gabby's newfound relationship.
    Personally I'd hope they'd get a ship moment, something subtle but sweet like them holding hands as they flew off but I guess since they never stated they were in a relationship at the start, only just pen-pals, I suppose this ending works.

I liked Twilight in this episode, I feel she should have been like this in everyone's solo final episodes, in the background mostly but able to provide wisdom and guidance when she needs to.
    However now she needs help with those couches, she needs to remember to PIVOT!
    Loved Gabby in this, as much as I adored her earlier appearances, I feel like this gave her more of a "personality" rather than just the "one happy Griffon" thing she had going for her.
    As much as I doubt we'll see their relationship blossom over the coming episodes, I'd be more than happy if we can get a glimpse at the end of the series.

As far as this being the final Rarity episode, this was rather interesting.
    Since with everyone else, AJ, Pinkie, Dashie, and Flutters, they all had some level of their element involved but with this, I'd say it was a rather interesting way to showcase generosity.
    It felt more like Rarity learning to share rather than an element of generosity at play.
    In any case, I do think this was handled well because other than her relationship with Spike, I'm not sure what they could have done for Rarity as a final test.
    So overall a good episode, so sweet for Spike and Gabby and I hope we get to see more of them towards to final episodes, though I doubt it.

4. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I think it hit the fairly high standard for this season.

Like with No Second Prances, and with Triple Threat, I think this developed three different characters quite well.

I feel like Rarity was in danger of regressing a bit, but I don't think she went there. Quite early on, the episode reminded me of Forever Filly, with Rarity struggling to come to terms with the fact that someone close to her has moved on from what she remembers. I'm glad that it went in a different direction, and that Spike still seems to like spending time with her, it's just that he doesn't have as much of it to hang out. It's nice to see that she's still a massive drama queen without being uncharacteristically selfish, and I like the sequence of events that lead to her theatrical apology to Spike. Twilight only advised apologising because she couldn't tell that Spike wasn't angry with Rarity, having only heard about what had happened second hoof. It's also clear that she had learned from Forever Filly, making time to do things Spike loves to do. Even though she was going overboard, and maybe deliberately keeping him from Gabby, she at least wasn't the only one enjoying herself.

I was quite thrilled to see Gabby again. Well, outside of her recent cameo appearances. It's really nice that she's okay with not having a cutie mark now. I hadn't noticed before, but she actually does have a fair bit in common with Spike. I can understand that she got upset that Spike seemed to be avoiding her, but she theoretically should've been in the same position as him - she's really close to her fellow Crusaders again, and she seems reasonably friendly with Gallus. I get that she wasn't the focus, but couldn't she have gone to them for advice? It's interesting to have seen her angry, and she wasn't just calmed very easily. It took Rarity properly explaining why she did what she did. I like that she's not trying to hide her emotions like she did near the end of The Fault in Our Cutie Marks.

I did feel a bit sorry for Spike, being caught in the middle of it all. I imagine he felt a need to try to balance spending time with both Rarity and Gabby, especially since he couldn't seem to avoid upsetting at least one of them. Again, he wasn't the focus, but maybe he could've spoken to Twilight about it. Unless maybe he did, and that's how Twilight knew to have that discussion with Rarity near the end. I like that he wasn't bored or anything when helping Rarity out, he was just feeling guilty about having hurt Gabby. I'm still not really clear on how he and Rarity see each other, but I think I felt some romantic subtext around all three of them. Since it's probably the last time we'll see their relationship, it just feels a bit like something's unresolved there.

I like that the rest of the mane six were willing to try to help Rarity when Spike wasn't around, even though they didn't really know what they were doing. Rainbow Dash in particular wasn't rude or anything about helping out, despite clearly being overwhelmed. On another note, judging by the effort Twilight seemed to be putting into moving Rarity's fainting couch, Autumn Blaze was right. They are hard to move.

5. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Cute episode. :)

Rarity was particularly hammy and dramatic this episode, which I enjoyed. :)

I loved when she pushed that huge box of stuff into the post office and Derpy closed the shutter. :p

I didn’t know Gabby was gonna show up, but it was awesome to see her again. :D

Twilight was great as the “voice of reason”, although I wonder if Rarity has a habit of leaving fainting couches everywhere, because it looked like Twi was pushing the first one outside with her rubbish. :p I liked how she struck a dramatic pose on the second one after Rarity left though. :p

It seems as if Rare is genuinely really fond of Spike, though perhaps not in the same way Spike is towards her. I am glad they were able to resolve things, though their friendship might be different now. It does seem like Spike might have a little crush on Gabby though. ;)

So, yeah, enjoyed this one. :)

6. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

This was lovely. :)

I'd been looking forward to one more Rarity episode, and she was a joy to watch! Some very entertaining scenes with her. A reasonable showing for Spike too; I'm very glad Rarity actually showed him some real appreciation. Also, Gabby was a nice surprise. I preferred her in this one to her first appearance; the hyperness was dialed down just enough. :p

Overall, there wasn't much to this episode (evident by 2 montage sequences), but it did a lot of things very well. I really liked the slow pace, kinda like Applejack's Day Off just letting the characters shine. Every time each of the main 6 showed up, I just had a big grin on my face :). There were a fair few chuckles in there as well.

7. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Yeah, this is the sort of episode I like.

I liked the slow pace and character focus. I think it resolved the Rarity/ Spike relationship as much as this show possibly could do, which I liked. Spike doesn't have a crush on Rarity any more, and Rarity's starting to realise she may have taken advantage of him over the years, but they still enjoy spending time together as friends. Honestly I reckon that's as resolved as this relationship could get in the context of this show. They're hardly going to have Rarity and Spike stop being friends now.

I liked Gabby as well here. She and Spike were nice in their scenes together. The montages were effective, the character development strong, and the slow pace allowed a lot of time for the story to breath and focus on the characters, which was great. A lot of strong choices in terms of which plot points to dramatise and which to skip- we didn't need to see Rarity and Spike at the gorge or at Power Pony Con together, we just needed to see them making the choice to go and the impact of that choice afterwards.

It was a bit uncomfortable to watch at times, particularly when Gabby was looking for Spike in the castle, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good episode.

Also, note that all of the Mane Six had speaking roles. In a slow paced, slice of life episode focussed on a relationship problem in Ponyville. How much more Season One could you get?

Basically, this is the sort of episode I really like, the sort where I think the show is strongest, and I'm really glad they did this story before the series' end. An A+ to Josh Haber from me.

Robshi, Candy Yunagi and Zero Motion like this.
  8. Steamworks

Steamworks Habitual Pony

Late again, but I think that's just me wanting to stretch out the end a bit longer.

This is a pretty abrupt change in Spike.

AJ seems like an odd backup choice.

Rarity with grand gestures?

And it's grand.

Gabby's back. Figured she was gonna be a one and done character.

So...is Say Anything a thing in Equestria?

Is that Rarity's jealousy showing a bit?

It does seem a tad much to cold shoulder Rarity so much.

Dash for fabric shopping? That's even odder than AJ with gem catching.

At least Fluttershy's sewing knowledge makes her suited for helping Rarity.

I wonder what makes the crevasse only accessible once a year.

Is Rarity just trying to buy Spike now?

How much spending money does Spike have?

I figured Rarity would be the first one to overreact and cry.

So who had money on Spike x Gabby as a ship?

Seems like Maud would make a better gem catcher backup than Pinkie.

Blissful690 likes this.
  9. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

When I saw the title for this episode I wondered if we were finally getting a revelation about Spike's parents. So much for that theory... I just hope that is a later episode.

What we did get though was a really fun episode with Spike and Rarity. I didn't expect closure on the Sparity ship, but the did a nice job.

I'm surprised no has mentioned the manic expression Rarity had whilst waking Spike up in the night. That's stalker behaviour, not that of a polite and refined lady!

Gabby appeared out of nowhere, but it's nice to see her again. Her being friends with him makes sense, but I'm not sure about that hinted ship at the end with Spike's blush. You've ignored two great dragon waifus focusing on Rarity and now you're falling for a griffon? Sheesh.

It's also a good thing Spike is happy to do errands for Rarity, since this episode proves that she is way too demanding for the rest of the Mane 6 to deal with! Speaking of the six, it was cool to see Twilight offering advice here, and her posing on Rarity's couch was funny to see.

Overall, this was a really funny and very wholesome episode. This season has really picked up the quality in the second half. It's just a shame the end is getting nearer.

Blissful690 likes this.