1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 9, Episode 23 - The Big Mac Question

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 1 October 2019.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Sugar Apples by JustSomePainter11
    Air Date: 5th October 2019

Written by: Josh Haber and Michael Vogel

Synopsis: When Big Mac and Sugar Belle decide to propose to each other, everything their friends do to help ends up making a mess of the whole thing!

Here we go, the last "regular" episode of the series before the finale and epilogue episodes. :(

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after this episode airs on Discovery Family. Thank you.

2. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

It's straight out of
    The Night of the Living Apples.
    . And This is The End next Saturday.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  3. Patrick Rowberry

Patrick Rowberry waits for series 9 of robot wars

4. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

So here it is the final slice of life episode before the final three that will wrap the series (in animation form!) So how was it in the end?
    Well it's official Lyra and Bonbon are a couple and they're gonna get married! As for the rest of the episode? This was good really, good everyone was in character which made for a pleasent viewing. It was nice to see some decent airtime for Mrs. Cake, but where is Mr Cake? I don't think he's appeared at all this season! If there was one moment that made me laugh the most it was Granny Smith talking about her Star Trek dream. Also Big Mac at his parent's tree really did tug at the heartstrings. In the end this gets an 8.5/10 from me. A great way to wrap up the last slice of life episode. Now we are on the final hurdle, let's see what DHX has got up it's sleeves.

5. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

It's only just truly kicked in that this crazy journey we have been on for almost 9 years has only 1 week left.

Damn.

Loved the ep.. Don't feel like talking in spoilers so great way to finish a regular episode.

6. Zero Motion

Zero Motion Active Pony

Well, this came out of nowhere for me...
    Not in a bad way, I just didn't expect a wedding episode.
    I am so happy for Big Mac and Sugar Belle, they've had a sweet and pure love that has stayed true to the end.
    I'm also very happy for Lyra and BonBon, can't believe they've actually confirmed their love.
    I feared it would remain a fandom only headcanon similar to Vinyl x Octavia, although out of the two, I'd rather have Lyra x BonBon confirmed since they always seemed to work better as a couple whereas Vinyl x Octavia works just well as roommates and friends.

I love the premise of a proposal gone wrong, reminds me of Slice of Life mixed with Saddle Row Review, two amazing episodes so of course, this was a fantastic episode.
    I felt they picked the right characters to accompany the wedding, Spike and Discord is a great call back to Big Mac's Orgres and Oubliettes experience whilst the CMCs make sense for Sugar Belle's experience with Big Mac.
    Love that Mrs Cake was involved, first she helped Bright Mac and Pear Butter find love, now she's done the same for their son, it's so sweet.

Discord is well... Discord, you understand and know exactly what you get when he's involved.
    I do love how he knows exactly what he's doing yet continues to do it, almost as if he knew it would all work out.
    I found the talking apples a bit well not predictable but slightly out of place since AJ wasn't a major factor of the episode.
    Although I will say her outfit for the wedding was adorable, sucks that AB didn't get the same treatment.

Love that the CMCs were involved more so because they finally were able to deal with a romantic situation in a non-chaotic manner since as Scoots said they really didn't do anything wrong.
    Glad that Mayor Mare is back and able to officiate her 2nd apple wedding, who knows maybe a 3rd in Gen 5?
    There's always a chance for RariJack, especially since Spike has Gabby.

Overall I found this to be utterly entertaining, loved the whole documentary investigative opening and would easily rewatch it.
    So happy for Big Mac and Suger Belle as well as Lyra and BonBon, would have liked to see some further indication but then again, it's somewhat poetic that Lyra and BonBon, two background ponies get engaged in the background of another proposal.
    Looking forward to the finale next week, legit cannot believe it's already time.
    I know of one major spoiler but that's it, as an educated guess I'm assuming my spoiler is not until the 3rd episode so I'm going into the first two episodes completely blind, looking forward to them.

Blissful690 and Candy Yunagi like this.
  7. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I found myself saying this aloud several times, so I'll say it again here: aaaaaawwwwwwwwwww!!!

I'm not gonna lie, I went into this with the attitude that there was no real need for them to marry. They're a lovely couple, but can't they be committed to each other without it? They couldn't have just had Sugar Belle move into Sweet Apple Acres or something? To an extent, I still stand by that, but... this had an unexpected emotional effect on me. I'm a strong believer that romantic gestures should be very personal to a couple, and both of their ideas certainly were. As much as Mac doesn't like talking, it was great to hear him converse at some length about something, and someone that really matters to him. His scavenger hunt idea was pretty nice, though I feel that his display case/table was the most romantic thing about his plan. I can see that becoming a special place for the two of them from now on. Spike was pretty good here, despite accidentally ruining Sugar Belle's proposal. Mistakes happen, he just didn't make the connection mentally between transporting parchment and the fire that comes with it. I know Discord kinda looked bad, but I can sense he meant well, and he just doesn't really understand romance. He just thought it would make everything easier if he sped it along.

I have to say that, of the two, I like Sugar Belle's proposal plan more. It was just really, really sweet of her to just leave Big Mac with a single word to reply. I'm not sure if he could get through 22 desserts, but I guess she knows her own lover :p. It's great to see that she enlisted help from Mrs Cake, but I'm kind of wondering why Mr Cake couldn't help. Or Pinkie, for that matter. The CMC were pretty good, and come to think of it, there were at least three different times they've overreacted in the past where love was concerned.

I also found they way they eventually did propose quite touching. By the trees Bright Mac and Sugar Belle planted, and both at once... I think The Perfect Pear was the last episode to have this kind of effect on me. It is nice that their wedding reflected Big Mac's parents', as well. Though I have to say, it's a bit strange that we didn't see anything of Applejack until then. I actually didn't notice Lyra and Bon Bon foreshadowing that moment, but I'm really struggling to find an excuse for what else they were doing. I guess this makes their previous cameos less ambiguous, and it's really nice that they're definitely a couple now. Even though the show's almost over, Big Mac getting married is actually pretty huge. It's been subtle, but I suppose he's had his own arc over the years, hasn't he? It might be weird to say this, but I'm feeling slightly celebratory myself.

I'll be at UK PonyCon next weekend, so this was sadly the last livestream I got to see...

8. Streamline

Streamline Well-Known Pony

A lot to like here.

The way the story was told through the characters recollecting their experiences of what happened worked fab.

Yes here comes Discord, all his usual whit and I feel he provides the balance here. We have a lot of ponies all in romance mode such as Spike and Sweetie Belle, then there's Discord bringing his take on the subject in his usual form.

Octavia and Bulk Biceps?

Big Mac and Sugar Belle's ending sequence tied it all up.

Heart warming episode that was enjoyable.

Zero Motion and Blissful690 like this.
  9. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I enjoyed this ep more than I thought I would. :)

This is one of those eps, where I didn't really think much about the synopsis. But looking back, I found the other SugarMac episodes enjoyable, so it probably shouldn't be a surprise that this one gets added to that list. :)

I liked the general format of the episode, with the characters recalling what happened. It reminded me a lot of "The Saddle Row Review" and worked quite well for this episode with Big Mac and Sugar Belle's "competing" proposal plans.

I grinned at the scene between Lyra and BonBon. :D

I wasn't expecting Discord, but he was a fine addition and added his usual goofy comedy, as well as a sort of counterweight to the "romantic idealising" that Spike was doing.

I wasn't really expecting the CMC either, for that matter. But they were a part of the other SugarMac episodes, so I guess I really shouldn't be surprised. :p

Felt bad for Spike when he accidentally burnt all the stuff Mrs. Cake made, but loved the sarcasm about them "already being ruined". :p (Where is Mr. Cake anyway? We haven't seen him in ages.)

The actual proposal scene was very sweet, not just the way Sugar Belle and Big Mac interacted, but that they did it at the trees that Pear Butter and Bright Mac planted.

So yeah, this one was funny and also heartwarming. :)

Zero Motion and Blissful690 like this.
  10. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

What a lovely episode!

The comedy was on point here, and the wedding was a real heartwarming moment. It was nice to have it reflect Pear Butter and Bright Mac's wedding.

Discord was actually pretty entertaining with his apple antics and the way he yelled out how Big Mac was gonna propose after saying he could keep secrets.

Spike tries to help... and doesn't realise that sending flaming scrolls into pies is a bad idea until it's too late. Oops. Then again, it was nothing compared to the burn he gave Mrs Cake later when he said burning her pies to ash was an improvement! :p

I didn't actually spot Lyra and Bonbon proposing to each other when I watched the ep! It was only after seeing comments here and going back through the ep that I found them! It's so nice to see their relationship confirmed as canon. I wish we could see their wedding!

It appears Apple Bloom can't contain her excitement either. I liked her facial expression after delivering her pear pun. The CMC were also better here that in their own ep last week!

And now just one more episode before the finale... sigh. Wait, what do you mean it's a three part finale next week!? :eek:

CuldeeFell and Blissful690 like this.
  11. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Really enjoyed this episode, Brings Big Mac and Sugar Belles arc to a nice end. I like how it further confirms Discords Goodness (wonder if that was his story arc end, I imagine he will play a role in the final battle episode). The commentary from the characters at the start of each part was good. I found the Star trek references quite amuzing.
    I liked the parallel of Lyra and Bonbons proposal (and confirming that they are a couple and not just friends).

Blissful690 likes this.
  12. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I liked this one quite a lot.

Slight negatives out the way first; I did find Discord a little irritating at times. The only one that really mattered was right at the end, where he got the apples to start chanting again. It kinda killed the mood of what would otherwise have been a perfect ending.

For the most part this was great fun though. Loved the 'interview' style pieces throughout the episode, they were timed well and gave me some good laughs. I also appreciated seeing the CMC and Mrs Cake used so much.

I really like Sugar Belle and Big Mac as a couple. In fact, I was reading a fanfic about them recently that made their love feel all the more genuine. Their eventual proposal scene and wedding was so hearthfelt and touching. AJ looked gorgeous in her getup, and I 'squee'd so much seeing Night Glider, Party Favour and Double Diamond there. :D

I hadn't spotted what Lyra and Bonbon were up to, but seeing it on here; that's pretty cool!

Overall, I thought this was a worthy final 'slice of life' ep. It hasn't sunk in yet that there won't be any more 'normal' pony weekends.

13. Steamworks

Steamworks Habitual Pony

And the horsebando is getting married to somepony not me. *sigh*

And an interview style storytelling.

Octavia went on a date with Bulk Biceps?

And this proposal is looking overly complicated.

Not so sure involving Discord in plan is all that smart.

And there's Sugar Belle's proposal stuff.

Day of the Living Apples. I suppose Night of the Living Apples was already taken by the comics.

Hey, Grand Pear returns! Don't think I've seen comments about that.

Aww, they could've had a Rocky Horror moment with those names.

And Mac's totally ready to fight the apple golem. Just look at him.

You'd think Mrs. Cake would be used to high pressure baking.

Lack of screwdriver is why I now always have one on me.

Now, Granny, you're gettin' your Treks mixed up. Also, why not do Mudbriar as Harry Mudd?

Aww, he's disappointed.

And their proposal is too good.

Double braids on AJ. It's a good look on her.

And now the horsebando is married to her.

Cloudane, Oilyvalves and Blissful690 like this.
  14. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

That was so heartwarming. Lovely way to end the series just before the actual 3-part ending.
    (And that's saying a lot as I'm not usually a big "characters get married" person). I think it helps that their relationship was mostly left behind the scenes for your imagination to fill in - it's very easy for fictional couples to feel 'forced' (see Flash Sentry etc) and that's a nice way to avert it... lay the foundations and let you fill in the rest.

Never spotted the other happy couple, but that's great to see, what a nice easter egg for the fans. Let's face it, those who get mad about little references to 'things they disagree with' have probably already flounced by now (e.g. with the 'aunts' or several lesser hints at LGBT things beforehand) so they might as well.

Enjoyed the Star Trek and Q references :)

Didn't feel it was necessary for Discord to "lighten the mood", I was enjoying the tearjerking thank you very much :p

Well then.. here we are.. the ride may never end, but just a few days til the show does. Like with most things, since it was announced it's come along so fast. End of an era - it's been a heck of an 8 years (9 even, for the show itself)

#14 Cloudane, 9 October 2019
    Last edited: 9 October 2019