1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 9, Episode 26 - The Last Problem

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 7 October 2019.

1. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Suppose it does a bit.

IMO the song wasn't as good and as "emotion inducing sounding" as it could be, but it'll probably grow on me :)

2. Recurrent Trotting

Just rewatched this as has seen it ages ago. will be rewatching pony for a while I think. end of s9 and the current series :( if only eqg gave me confidence that the next series will be as good

anyhoof I thought it was suitably epic and drew the threads together
    the good
    the save today moment coming from all the characters Twi has helped bring together was great. I was stopping the player to catch all the refs. There were a few funny ones - like the red dragon from Dragonshy :D

the stakes were the most epic yet. Equestria falling apart like a dystopian fanfic. Flutters getting hit and the villains threatening to torture Spike by ripping off his wings D: The fact that the original figures of epic pony magicness Discord, Celestia and Luna all come together to 'kill' the villains.

special shout out to former villains Starlight and Discord who had a starring role. Discord was great in the ep - using his trickiness to free the Mane 6 felt so right.

the epic wide shots/battles. The pony horde on the hill and the villains battle in stages with Mane 6 first was greatness. The familiar pony locations of Cloudsdale, Canterlot and Ponyville looking all dystopian...

the meh

the song at the end is just ok

the leaders of the dystopian pony earth/unicorn/pegasi factions were all new ponies with weirdly bouffant hairstyles. Who are these ponies!? I want my evil ponies to be familiar damnit.

the interesting

the poses of the villains when they died was interesting. Chrysallis, the avatar of hate, bearing her fangs and hissing. Tirek, avatar of pride, hiding his weak form in shame. Cosy, avatar of deception, holding her hooves to her head unable to think how to save herself...

Zero Motion and Cloudane like this.
  3. Streamline

Streamline Well-Known Pony

It was interesting they chose a new story rather than going over the previous clips of seasons to which would have been good.
    Overall it was more the 'future characters' and that song at the end that did it for me. This really feels like it has ended now having seen the future versions of them and that closing sequence.

4. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Something I've not seen mentioned elsewhere but which I'm sure was intentional:

Star Spiders first appeared in "Castle Mane-ia", Josh Haber's first ever episode, so by bringing them back here he's book-ending his involvement with the series.

5. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Better late than never; just getting down some thoughts here after a 2nd viewing (plus a fair bit of combing through for all the cameos). :)

As a final episode, I think this did a great job. Since the series was leading up to Twilight taking over from the 2 sisters, it's good that they addressed how this change in dynamic would affect the mane cast. To do that, as a 'flashback' while also showcasing the future time period, was inspired in my eyes. The stuff with Luster Dawn brings things full circle, and is an excellent reminder of the humble beginnings of the show itself.

The scenes of the mane 6 seemingly ignoring Twilight's worries did seem slightly iffy to me when watching it back, based on their eventual 'crying' scene. The coronation was perhaps more rushed than I would've liked too. These are very minor niggles though; not a big deal. Twilight did look absolutely splendid in her gown. :)

That leaves me with the 2 biggest takeaways of the finale; the aged up characters and the final scene. Starting with the former, I thought they all looked pretty cool. The bags under the eyes, maybe a bit much for my liking, but again not a deal-breaker. Out of all of them, honestly I like Fluttershy's look the best. Of course, all the aged-up cameos during the song where so great to see!

The final scene. The final song. The end of FiM. It was everything I hoped for, and I don't think they could have done any better :D. Not since Crusaders of the Lost Mark 4 years ago has an episode hit my emotions like this. I think it was seeing adult Ocellus at the school that finally broke me and triggered the tears to flow. It's probably the combination of so many things coming together; the ending of the show, the song, the visuals of all the characters past, present and future. I love the song too. Listening back now, the little theme tune playing right at the end still gets me misty-eyed.

[​IMG]

This has been rambly, because it's hard to put into words how I feel about this episode. But overall, it feels very special to me, and something I'll cherish going forward. And this is the last review of a 'new' episode I'll ever get to post. Many thanks to all of you on here for sharing the journey. :)

#25 Oilyvalves, 23 October 2019
    Last edited: 24 October 2019
  6. Cloudane

The final song did grow on me.

And as for the transition to the classic MLP melody in the final few seconds... oh god ;~;
    How to explain something like that, it's just a few little notes? But it's the signature tune, and hearing a happy little "the end" version of it hits me right in the feels every time. It's the little things like that which make Daniel Ingram a genius in my eyes.

MCtoastie, Oilyvalves and Blissful690 like this.
  7. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I've rambled on at too much length in my blog review, so I'll try to keep this shortish. But if you've seen my S9 rankings you'll have noticed that I put this episode in mid-table. Why?

Well, because I didn't think it was amazing as an episode. I emphasise that because, as for so many other people, what it represented was something very special, even momentous. But as a story in itself, it didn't hold my attention quite as much as I'd have liked. I rewatched "Magical Mystery Cure" recently -- which, after all, might have ended up being the show finale itself -- and in all honesty, I enjoyed that experience more.

Luster Dawn was okay, but she was a character we'd never seen before so I simply wasn't especially emotionally invested in her journey. It was a far cry (for me!) from how Starlight has developed in the last few seasons, or how Sunset's character was used in Rainbow Rocks. There were a few other things I disliked, too: while the new character designs are, I think, very gradually growing on me, I wasn't a fan of all the shipping, teased or certain. The show is about the central place of friendship, and while I don't think the writers meant to imply that romance was a step up, something you "grew up" to experience, I do think there was a little hint of that in the final episode.

What I did like, and enormously so, was the final part of this episode. The song, after a slightly lyrically awkward opening, was extremely well fitted to the occasion and really lifted my heart. I loved the tableaux of so many of the series' characters. (Not all, though: I couldn't find Steven Magnet in there, for one.) I'm actually absolutely fine with Sunset Shimmer's inclusion, since she's been canon in the FiM IDW comics since 2013. It was also nice how the characters were largely grouped together with the Mane Sixer they might associate with -- and as each got one student, maybe the "New Elements" are these:

Silverstream is Laughter, Sandbar is Kindness, Smolder is Loyalty, Yona is Honesty, Ocellus is Generosity and Gallus is Magic. I can accept that, I think, though Gallus might take some getting used to. (Still, he is apparently Captain of the Guard now!)

Then we saw the shadows lengthen as the sun went down, Luster went off with her friends and looked forward to a new life in Ponyville -- and as those notes from the show theme played, I have to admit I lost it a little. Finally, the book closed. I'd always wanted this to be the end, so I was delighted when it happened. Yes, as I said, to me this wasn't the "greatest episode ever" that I'd have hoped for -- but it ended absolutely perfectly, and I can see those final few moments getting to me for a very long time to come. I've rambled on longer than I was expecting, so I'll copy the way I ended my blog review:

What a wonderful wonder friendship brings.

8. Cloudane

I think that's perfectly fair. It was no "All Good Things..." as final episodes go (End of the End was closer to the mark, particularly with Discord's involvement) and if you look at it as an episode in its own right, not a lot happens. But as an episode-length epilogue I loved it, and as time skip epilogues go, it made me feel a lot more than Harry Potter or Naruto's very similar ones. (Albeit I've only seen the manga of the latter, so it might depend what they did with the music and animation in the anime)

Blissful690 likes this.
  9. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Ok, I know I may be late, but I blame being busy. I still can't stop thinking about this finale. Both my mom and I were crying during that last song. It's become a tradition for us to watch MLP on iTunes every Sunday while the show was in-season. No more season passes on iTunes, though I did buy Best Gift Ever on iTunes just to be able watch it without needed to be online on Netflix.

I genuinely was not expecting this episode to take 20-30 years into the future, it was something to see how Spike grew buff, and Twilight is practically the new Celestia. Luster Dawn just was giving me a vibe that she was going to be the next Twilight. More interested in her studies instead of her friends. The part that got to me was seeing everypony old. Pinkie being married to Cheese and having a kid, Rarity rocking that grey streak (I would make popcorn just to see how she reacted to the first sight of grey hair), Applejack and Rainbow Dash bickering about chores, finally Discord packing a lunch for Fluttershy. Just amazing to see how everyone was years later.

As for the coronation itself. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Nice to see they did a send off with the typical Twilight and friends having to deal with something major going wrong.

The song at the end and the book closing was a nice way to end it. Honestly, I loved The Ending of the End, but I liked this one a lot more than that previous episode. For me, it feels like the perfect ending.