1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 9, Episode 5 - The Point of No Return

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 22 April 2019.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Reading Under the Moonlight (Coloured by VocalMaker; Sketch by sherwoodwhisper)
    Air Date: 27th April 2019

Written by: Gillian M. Berrow

Synopsis: Twilight realizes she never returned a book to the Canterlot Library, and besides incurring the disgrace of a super-overdue book and huge fees, she may have caused her favorite librarian to lose her job.

I know it won't happen, but it would make my year if there was a character like Lt. Bookman from the Seinfeld episode "The Library". :p

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after this episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you.

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Two Twilight episodes in a row? What do you have on the show team, @Bridle Timeout ? :p

I know nothing about this one beyond the synopsis above. Berrow episodes are usually pretty decent, though I rarely outright love them. I think my only real wish here is that it isn't just a "Twi freaks out" episode. We've had her do that to some extent in every single episode so far, and she really doesn't need to do it every time.

Bridle Timeout likes this.
  3. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

I guess

I guess it's the book from the S1 opening.

4. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

Oh dear alright then.

Yeah, not feeling this one.

Oh look Twilight Sparkle is freaking out again whoopty do.

yeah it was nice to see characters like Moondancer back again.

But maybe it has something to do with me finding it annoying that Twilight is back to being shoehorned in every episode again that I didn't really enjoy this one.

Weakest episode of the season for me thus far.

5. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Some light slice of life after episode 200.

6. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I really enjoyed this one.

Even though we technically had episode 200 last week, I would've been fairly happy with this as episode 200, to be honest. We had a whole load of call backs and references, most of which didn't feel forced (with the notable exception of "G1 Starswirl", in my opinion). Having Derpy voiced is great, and I feel like she wasn't portrayed as being too slow this time (I loved Best Gift Ever, but that was one of my few issues with it). Just the adorable, mostly dependable, if sometimes clumsy postmare doing her job, and quite well. She deserves a muffin ^ ^. It's a shame Twilight didn't mention how long it's been, that would've been pretty nice to know.

Throughout the episode, it felt like a parade of happy ponies our mane six have helped over the years, in a variety of ways. Moondancer, Apple Rose, and while we didn't see Coriander or Saffron, it's clear that they're just really busy with business in the Tasty Treat booming. That's actually kinda foreshadowing the resolution of this episode. I'm pretty sure this also makes the third time we've seen that opening scene from Friendship is Magic part 1, and another reason to rewatch the original ;). It's much more fitting this time, though, this late into the series.

It seemed at first like we were going for another Lesson Zero, and I actually wouldn't have minded that. What we got shows that she's grown a lot, though (she's not hallucinating, at least :p), and in hindsight, that was probably even better. After that, it looked as though it was heading for another Amending Fences, but again, it managed to be much more unique in the end. When it appeared Dusty Pages had lost her job over Twilight failing to return a book, I was very skeptical. We've known Equestria for over 8 seasons, and that really doesn't sound like something that could happen there. The whole thing with the office for overdue books was very strange, and actually like something from season 1 or 2. Knowing that things weren't as Twilight feared, that whole thing makes no sense. :p

This episode had a nice moral to it, and an important one to me on a personal level, but I'm not convinced it drives the plot. Not only is total perfection not achievable, and obsessing over it can be damaging, but it's also never too late to make a change, of any kind, really. Dusty seems to have adopted the CMC attitude of trying everything, which is pretty great. Or should I say, the Rainbow Dash attitude, since she was the one who started it all off. Anyway, after Dusty left to partake in paintball with fruit, I couldn't help thinking they could've asked her band-mates why she didn't want to go back to the library. They might not have known, but it would've been worth trying. I wonder how they were able to quieten fully acoustic instruments, that would be useful to know :p

I think Spike had another good episode, as well. Even if he spent much of it looking amused while Twi freaked out, he knew it couldn't be helped, and he just had to wait for the right moment to try to talk some sense into her. He was fairly patient with her, didn't make too many sarcastic comments, and even had a couple of "if you won't do it, I will" moments. I do have to wonder how Twilight borrowed a book without realisng what it was. Did Celestia recommend it as a way of saying "Hint hint, stop freaking out all the time"? Or did she just borrow the whole library at once?

I think there were some more new background ponies, unless I just haven't noticed them before. I liked how a strawberry pony in Canterlot looked. A relative of Strawberry Sunrise, maybe? and the first pony Twilight asked about Dusty during the montage looked pretty nice, as well. I had to notice the old guy with the bow tie from A Friend Indeed living at the same complex as Dusty. Maybe he moved there from Ponyville, I don't know if we've seen him around Ponyville recently? I also thought it was interesting to see one of the few ponies who really isn't very nice, for no apparent reason.

CuldeeFell, Mane25 and Blissful690 like this.
  7. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

My opinions.

I thought this one was fairly average, weakest of the season so far but not bad by any means. It had its moments. Not a lot else to say about it really.

Enjoyed the callback to Friendship is Magic Part 1. Felt a bit unnecessary having Twilight learn yet another lesson as if it's still S1, although it's a good lesson and I don't remember it being covered before exactly. I think they could have done something instead of this episode though.

8. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Cute episode, but certainly not amazing.

Liked the flashback to when Spike and Twi lived in Canterlot.

Was nice seeing Moondancer again. :D

Spike was good in this episode, he had some good sarcastic comments, but he also knew when he should be reassuring.

I just really really hope they haven't decided to Flanderise Twilight this season... she has other personality traits than freaking out, you know.

9. Zero Motion

Ok, just finished watching it.
    I hadn't read the synopsis going into the episode so just reading the title, after watching Avengers Endgame as well made me think we were in for some dramatic tale lol
    Anyways with this episode I felt it was pretty decent.
    Yes, it was the weakest of the season so far but I do feel like it was needed.
    This episode was needed for Twi's character development, yes she has developed as a character over these past seasons but her journey is not over.
    From the premiere, we are told of Twi's new character arc to taking Celestia and Luna's place as a ruler.
    As she pointed out she is not ready and episodes like this are here to help her get ready.
    It's true she has learned this exact lesson before but as time goes on, people need to remind themselves of the lessons they were once taught.
    So yeah, I don't think this was a fantastic episode but I'm glad we got it since I think Twi needs to be reminded to be more chill and just not stress over every little thing.

Also, it is a pretty good moral to have for everyday activities, you can get so blindsided into perfection after all.
    Spike I have to say was fantastic in this episode, he was a great voice of reason, following DWK rules he usually is the unspoken voice of reason but I'm happy this episode made it clear he was, at least in this case.
    It also shows his development with Twi over the years and how comfortable they are together now.

Loved the various callbacks, it feels like we will continue to have this in the future episodes.
    I wonder if Moondancer would join Spike, Discord and Big Mac for a game of Ogres & Oubliettes, she seems like the geek girl type, I'd be down for that, mostly because she felt too much like a plot device here.
    I hope the quality increases since yeah this does fall in comparison to the rest of the season, I've got hopes, I think they can do a good job since this episode isn't bad just not great.

Danishbrony2011 and Candy Yunagi like this.
  10. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

"Let's see what's on the 9:05 shall we? Here she comes now..."

Ok, that was a really good episode. Easily both the best of Season 9 so far, and frankly, the best episode G. M. Berrow's written to date. At first I was concerned that we had another "Twilight freakout" episode on our hands, and... we did. But still, given the hammed up nature of the overdue books department in the basement, I felt like Twilight's fear was mostly justified.

What was really great was a chance to get inside Twilight's head again. It felt so good to have an episode that was about a problem a character had caused for themselves and their own reaction to it. The moral at the end is both really strong (perfectionism is a curse) and one that, somehow, amazingly, we still hadn't covered explicitly in the last eight and a bit seasons. In a way it's the same as Twilight's moral from "Lesson Zero" but in that episode the explicitly spelled out moral was that Twilight's friends should have taken her feelings seriously, so it was nice to give the perfectionism moral some time to shine here.

There were lots of bits here for fans. It was really nice to see some new footage of unicorn Twilight Sparkle again, even if it was a flashback. (Ok so we had some last week, but this was adult unicorn Twilight Sparkle). I love that this is now the third episode to feature that footage from the premier (after the premier itself and "Amending Fences"). We also saw Moondancer back again, and the Tasty Treat. We even saw Spike breathe out a letter from Princess Celestia again. (When was the last time he did that?)

Ok, so this may have been a bit reference heavy, and it may well have been Gillian taking a last opportunity to include some of these things before the show ends for good, but what the hay. I'm glad that we have a really strong Twilight Sparkle centred episode in he final season of the show. It's always been her show and it would have felt like a gaping gap if we hadn't had another episode like this before the end. And also, with a strong fresh moral it's an episode that I think will stand up to repeated viewings on it's own legs. It's not just leaning on the references.

And can I get some appreciation for Spike here? He's always been at his best as Twilight's faithful assistant, but here he was excellent, going along with her crazy plans even though he knows it's totally unnecessary and completely supporting her throughout. It was a good outing for him.

I'll be very surprised if this doesn't end up quite high in my rankings for this season. In fact, it could very well end up coming top. (Depending on what the next twenty one episodes bring of course! :))

11. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

I'm going to go against the popular opinion and say this episode was really good.

I thought there were enough funny moments (or at least moments I could make fun of) to be invested in. I can see the comparison between this and 'Lesson Zero", but the morals of the 2 are different. The moral in this episode is probably more similar to "Fame and Misfortune". Except it does go the extra mile in stating that you should learn from your mistakes as well as not to worry about being perfect. As well not hating the episode and the fact it was making a mockery of the entire fandom. (A trend were as far as I can tell, only The Amazing World of Gumball has perfected.)

F.I.N.E., CuldeeFell and Candy Yunagi like this.
  12. F.I.N.E.

F.I.N.E. Less than 50 characters.

Really enjoyed this episode.

I may be slightly prejudiced, as I’m a big G.M. Berrow fan, but this is definitely my first “favourite episode of the season” candidate. One of the things I like about the chapter books is how quickly Berrow “got” the show and characters, and while the episode is based on one of Twilight’s most obvious character traits, it doesn’t feel at all forced. I couldn’t help feeling that the new librarian pony was having a bit of fun at Twilight’s expense, especially since First Folio turned out not to be quite as fearsome as she was made out to be. I may be reading a bit much into it, but I couldn’t help noticing that a lot of the residents of the retirement home had been metaphorically “retired” as background ponies. I am glad that they seem to be enjoying their retirement! Overall, it had the feel of a Season Two episode, but the placement in the last season seemed fitting, both because it made the scale of Twilight’s freak out seem slightly more understandable, and the general sense that there were loose ends being tied up (even if nopony realised it was there to be tied up beforehand)

13. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

This felt more like we're going more towards the 'filler' episodes now with the main ones done and out of the way. Had some enjoyable and funny scenes in it.

Twily's "G1 Starswirl" model was a nice metaphoric mention for all of us, does that make her a Pegasister then?

Yay our favourite mailmare got a few words in this too.

Celestia's not hanging around here, she's starting the transition ready for retirement by having a clean up of the castle.

Spike had some good humour in this which tagged along nicely whilst he and Twi were running about trying to fix the late book return issue.

I liked the flashback to Season 1 and the way Twilight was portrayed in the same way as we would have known her back then, they didn't lose sight of that.

Great to see Moondancer, suprised she didn't feature in this as much as she did.

Found the search for Dusty started to drag a bit. I assume she quit the library not when the book was returned late but when she saved up enough bits to reside at that retirement home.

Good message at the end, perfection is impossible, something I think we can all learn from.

Blissful690 likes this.
  14. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

First impressions on this episode; it was fairly enjoyable. Probably about the same as last episode for me, funnily enough.

I loved hearing Moondancer speak again! And the flashback to unicorn Twi checking out the book was nice. Also, more speaking Derpy. :)

I've kinda gotten used to Twi freaking out all the time by now. I think I still prefer that to her school head-mare mode from last season. Having Spike there to bounce back and forth with her really helps a lot. He had some fun moments here.

The montage of searching for Dusty..whatever her name was, got old quite quickly. It also took a bit too long for the penny to drop that she'd not been fired. I did like the moral message about freeing yourself and not stressing over perfection though.

CuldeeFell and Blissful690 like this.
  15. Steamworks

Steamworks Habitual Pony

Getting to this one a tad late, unfortunately. Stupid distracting distractions.

Nice to see Derpy speaking again.

So just how overdue is this book? Would be a nice notice of how much time has passed since the pilot.

I do kinda miss going to the library, but the local one was kinda small, and I had exhausted their supply of books that interested me.

So does Twi only carry that wallet when needed, or does she hide it in her tail?

1k bits? Wouldn't they just charge for a new book well before that point?

What kind of excessive late fees is this library charging? I remember mine charging like a quarter a day or something. Never had to drop more than a few dollars on late fees.

Well, we've got a confirmation that years have passed, so there's that.

Dusty sounds like she's keeping herself busy at least.

If anything, I think the show needs more bases for elderly ponies. Enough variety in the younger set but they have like 2 for old ponies.

Seems a tad rude to just yank instruments away from musicians mid-jam.

Organized food fighting? This retirement place doesn't sound too terrible.

28 bits is significantly less than I was expecting.

Kinda think this one would've been better in S1 or S2.

16. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

Was very late seeing this one, but...

I've not been a massive fan of Berrow's previous eps, although I did enjoy "End in Friend", and always had a soft spot for the books. So I went in with low expectations.

However, I ended up really loving this - I think it's up there already as one of my favourites of the season. It had plenty of good callbacks, and also a nice, innocent feel that recalled Season 1 in places. I loved the fact that it was set up as a standard Twilight freak-out ep of previous seasons, but it pushed things in a different directions. This time, the idea that there *was* plenty to worry about, and Twilight's fears (until close to the end) were justified.

The moral was also excellent, so all in all I was delighted with this one!

17. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Finally putting a few thoughts down on this:

I felt this was very much what I'd expect from a G. M. Berrow episode. Fairly low-stakes (in "saving Equestria" terms, if not in personal ones), generally good-natured and nothing too out-there. I agree with @Aldersgate that it was good to see the Twi freak-out go somewhere different. I was really happy to see Moondancer play a part again. Also enjoyed unicorn Twi in the flashbacks, as well as the cameos for various ponies in Canterlot -- I do wish Minuette in particular had got a line, though.

My main problem was that the episode seemed a bit padded out -- were two montages really necessary? Overall I'd probably class this as a quite enjoyable mid-season episode, one that I'll find passes the time nicely as a rewatch but probably doesn't really stick in my mind. Possibly the real snag is that there were inevitably some similarities with "Amending Fences" from S5 -- which for me is one of the best episodes in the series' history.

Blissful690 and Oilyvalves like this.
  18. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I am surprised at the number of comments saying that this is the best of the season. This felt rather average to me, particularly after following the spectacular episode last week.

The premise did sound promising though. Twilight forgot a library book!? How!? :eek: I guess it took a big move to Ponyville and the threat of Nightmare Moon to make her forget about something as big as a borrowed book.

The most amusing thing for me was noticing that Smolder clearly has a taste for tea now in that clip with Twi asking around. Was that one of Trixie's spell made teacups? Now, we just need Rarity to get excited about dragon fashion or do a lesson about wearing the right outfit and the tree of harmony dream can become reality. ;)

The library staff say that returning a book late is no big deal, and it's clearly a common occurrence, but then Twilight immediately thinks Dusty lost her job over it. Spike doesn't even point this out either.

A best book borrower picture and a hall of shame for really late returns? It seems there are some quirky staff at the library.

There was some nice interactions with Twilight and Spike here, but I agree that parts of this felt like padding things out too. This wasn't a terrible episode, but I had hoped for better given this was a Twilight episode.