1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 9, Episode 8 - Frenemies

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 15 May 2019 at 7:05pm.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    I HATE ALICORNS by AleximusPrime
    Air Date: 15th May 2019 (Italy) / 18th May 2019 (Discovery Family)

Written by: Michael Vogel

Synopsis: Grogar sends his legion of doom on a mission to become allies. Unfortunately, his plan works too well and they almost become friends.

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after this episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you.

2. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Just in time for 7th Everfree NW.

Brandnew song with Lord Tirek, Queen Chrysalis and Cozy Glow.

3. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

Just watched it on the livestream.

And it was AWESOME. Oh boy. I mean what is to say. Am I right in saying that this is the first villain episode we've ever had. Because it was a lot of fun. The bickering between Tirek and Cozy Glow the fact Chrysalis is arguing with the Twilight log and the fact Grogar is clearly losing his mind trying to keep them from killing each other. We also finally got to know what happened to Grogar's bell. ( I just assumed it was the orb that could turn into a bell. The song is something to go on as well. In term of villain songs, I don't think it'll ever match up to Flim and Flam's songs, but as a song in general it is really good. Even if Tirek's singing voice is like finger nails on a chalk board.

The mission up the mountain was great as well. The fact that we finally got to see Chrysalis' transformation powers again was great. And the whole cocooning her prey, yeah that's still just as creepy. Especially now considering our suspicions on why she does are confirmed. Cozy glow did what she does best. Give us meme faces. And Tirek showed us again his intelligence. Why struggle about the unknown when you can get others to do it.

My favourite part though is when it seems they realised that friendship is magic, Chrysalis is able to snap them back to reality and prevent any form of redemption. It does actually give me hope that they will remain villains to the end. Going as far as to push Grogar under the bus for their own gains.

If there was one criticism I have about this episode it is one of continuity. If I remember correctly Grogar said that when Sombra is defeated, he will bring him back and purely work for Grogar. So, is Sombra truly gone then. Oh well, at least he died a true Villain, and not an inconvenience.

4. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Another great episode

That was interesting, I think this is the first time we've had some villain slice of life, like an evil version of a season 1 episode. The three of them bickering was fun to see, though it seems like Chrysalis and Cozy are both starting to lose it a little bit. The song was quite weird, but I think I liked it. I'm pretty sure it's the first tango in the show, although Tirek and Chrysalis singing was quite a bizarre image. Those dolls were quite disturbing actually, and I think Cozy might have been the first character to use the word "death"?

I actually thought Grogar was about to say his bell had been sealed in Mount Aris for a moment. That would've been a twist. I feel like the name Gusty should be familiar, but I can't quite place it. They each made quite a good attempt to scale the mountain alone; Chrysalis using her transformations was as fun as it is when Ocellus does it, and seeing her scare off whatever was chasing her was a nice reminder that this isn't the mane six we're watching. It seems like Cozy might be losing her manipulative touch, but she might've been slightly unlucky with the pony having Twilight's friendship journal. That was a nice call back, as well. Tirek claims that he knew they needed to work together, but it seems to me like he gave up, without the power he used to have.

The three of them make a good team, but as Chrysalis realised, they'd better be careful if they don't want to be reformed. I think it's interesting that they plan to betray Grogar. This coming finale seems like it's be quite complex, I'm looking forward to it. I feel like maybe this would've been more interesting if Sombra had still been around, though.

Blissful690 likes this.
  5. Zero Motion

Zero Motion New Pony

Just saw the episode, had no clue going in but hyped because of the end result
    So I had no idea what this episode was gonna be but I'm overjoyed to get some insight into the Legion of Doom-style faction that Grogar is running.
    I love that we got an episode focused on the dynamics and team chemistry of Cozy, Tirek and Chrysalis.

Cozy is one of my top 5 fave ponies, I just love how she has literally no backstory but yet they continue to mould her into this psychopathic filly.
    Her chemistry with Tirek and Chrysalis in this episode was an absolute joy to see.

Glad to see Chrysalis change again, haven't seen that for a while now, last time she changed I think was during Mean Six iirc, so nice to see her use her powers as a Changeling, multiple times in fact.
    Seeing ultimate form Tirek is always fun, so happy he gave Chrysalis her power back, it would have been such a mood killer if Tirek and Cozy betrayed Chrysalis, after everything Chrysalis has gone through, she does not need to be betrayed again.

I'm very curious how this plays out because I'm fairly certain Grogar is gonna see this coming.
    I understand he's trying to rule them through fear, which is a tactful strategy, sometimes it works, I've heard of rulers ruling for years through fear alone.
    He talked about the bell and how it contained his magic, he must have been able to predict there was at least a change of them working together and betraying him, I think he has a plan, well I hope he does anyway.
    Great to get the backstory on that along with that callback to Flurry of Emotions with Gusty the Great.
    There's one line from Cozy that stands out to me, "oh I love a good betrayal", now I get the context that we have but I'm also hoping that is it.

I really, really do not want Cozy to betray everyone and flee back to Twilight for a shot at redeeming herself, out of all of these villains, Cozy technically has the shortest experience and she's still very young, she could easily go to Twilight, confess the plan and bring in Chrysalis and Tirek for a shot at redemption, it would be the ultimate betrayal and I just pray that doesn't happen.
    To me, that line looked like foreshadowing a betrayal by Cozy, which would suck so much, I want her as a villain in Gen 5 or something along those lines.

Anyways, this episode was by far the best of the season... for now.
    I'm hoping the finale tops it,
    The song was pretty decent, the moment when they all scale Mount Everhoof was nice, glad they gave Cozy some moments to shine since I was worried Tirek and Chrysalis were doing all the work and Cozy was just extra weight but instead they all do compliment each other well.
    It's actually kinda funny and a bit worrying that at least imo the best form of interspecies teamwork that the show has shown is from the villains working together.
    Sure, we have the Student Six but I dunno, I feel like just this one episode gave me more of a reason to root for this trio more so that anything the Studen Six have done.
    Maybe cause I'm a bit biased towards Cozy but still, I feel like they all each deserve some level of happiness after having failed multiple times.
    Also, that moment when they are all around the campfire reminiscing about the past, so touching, I hope we get at least one more moment like that.

Blissful690 likes this.
  6. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Mike Vogel strikes again! I loved this. I think Vogel is the most reliable writer the show has at the moment. The episodes he's credited for as the sole writer are:

A Hearth's Warming Tail
    Spice Up Your Life
    Every Little Thing She Does
    The Mean 6
    What Lies Beneath
    Best Gift Ever
    Frenemies

That's one hay of a list in my book! :)

As for this episode:
    I had a whale of a time with this one, and it may well be my favourite episode of S9. The dialogue was great, the scheming and plotting was enormous fun, the song was very entertaining and it set up some fascinating possibilities for the future. I would hope that we'll have a twist or two before the end, and that things won't just proceed down the most obvious path of having Cozy, Chrysalis and Tirek team up, betray Tirek then defect to the Light Side to help the ponies defeat Grogar. I'm sure Grogar will be defeated in the end, and I do want that of course -- but the best heroic victories come after the heroes are right on the edge of defeat. (In "The Return of Harmony", for example.)

I thought that as well at first, but it seems that it's "To crush our enemies to dust / And laugh as they all scream!" On a re-listen, I think that's right. Still pretty brutal, but not quite as much so as it might have been!

As for Gusty, she's a real G1 pony. However, in the G1 episode that featured Grogar, it wasn't Gusty who took his bell. It was actually a pony named North Star. Since that name's never been used in FiM, my guess is that Hasbro no longer have the rights to it. That would explain the retconning, anyway.

Blissful690 likes this.
  7. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Agreeing with the consensus on this one:

I had a whale of a time with it. All three main characters were fun to spend time with, the song was great, and it was really fun to see something totally different to what the show usually does. A really good episode

Random bullet point observation time:
    • The half bull, half snake (an Ophiotaurus, presumably) was a fun new creature. I love it when we get a new bit of mythology like that in the show.
    • Rusty Bucket was good fun too.
    • I liked the extra mythology surrounding Grogar and the bell. I still haven't seen his G1 episode so this is all new to me but it made him feel more epic to give him this past history

8. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

As soon as I saw a preview image for this episode I knew it would be good.

Boy did it deliver! There were plenty of brilliant moments with the three villains interacting with each other. Tirek trying to absorb Chrysalis magic at Cozy's meeting, and the idea of a changeling queen being convinced by a cupcake is rather amusing. It was also interesting that Cozy insists she truly is adorable, when it's clear what her true nature is. It seems her saccharin sweet filly act is how she truly sees herself, and all will be well if everything goes as she wants.

I also laughed at the scary thing in the woods creeping up on Chrysalis only to flee. It appears Twilight's journal is enough to stop Cozy Glow. Then Tirek appears to be gathering tools for the climb, when he's actually just making a hammock and waiting for the other two to fail.

Tirek uses Chrysalis magic to help get the bell, and then returns it not knowing why. I'm sure the thought of what Grogar would do had they abandoned Chrysalis would be enough of an incentive to return it.

So the three realise the value of teamwork, and it's Chrysalis who stops the reformation. I half expect her to say "I like being evil!" at this point. She is a stubborn one, but it's good we're keeping our villains for the moment. It's also intriguing that they betrayed Grogar so soon. I guess they don't want the power gap between them widening, but then why bring the bell back at all? Do they figure it could be used as leverage somehow?

It's also interesting that we got to see Mount Everhoof as a location. It's been marked on a map of Equestria but never really referenced in the show until now. That Gusty pony is an interesting reference too. For once a myth that isn't Starswirl or one of the pillars.

This is easily one of the best episodes so far, and may even have toppled the 200th episode from that spot. It was so good to see these characters interact before the finale. I hope more fireworks are to follow. My faith in the quality of this season is restored.