1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Secret Message Contest for BUCK [Closed]

Discussion in 'Archived BronyScot Discussion' started by anthony rothstein, 6 April 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony rothstein

!!! Congratulations to the winner: @StarStream !!!

[​IMG]

To celebrate BUCK this weekend we're holding a contest. A bunch of us will also be about, so be sure to come say hi!

@Moontune whilst gardening found this weird stone tablet with fancy letters on. Can you help us find out what it says?

Prize:
    We'll be giving away 1 ticket to BronyScot 2016, happening on the 19th - 20th November in Glasgow, Scotland.

What to do:
    The contest is easy enough! Just post a picture of yourself at BUCK and tag @BronyScot on twitter, post to our Facebook page or reply to this UKofE thread. You can also bag yourself 2 more chances to win if you can decode our secret message up there! It is a secret message though, so make sure not to post the answer publicly, please use the form below!

1 entry - Post an image of yourself having fun at BUCK
    2 entry - If you decode our secret message!

Guidelines
    • Contest closing date is 23:59 Sunday 10th April.
    • Winner will be announced during the after convention breakfast on Monday 11th April.
    • Winner will be chosen via a random raffle.
    • Posting the answer publicly will automatically void your entry.
    • We reserve the right to pull or amend the contest at any time.
    • If you cannot access the online form for submitting the secret answer, you can do it in person if you find a member of our staff during the weekend!

#1 anthony rothstein, 6 April 2016
    Last edited: 11 April 2016
  2. Sketchy Sounds

Sketchy Sounds Recognised Pony

Quick question, do people need to decode the message and answer with what the message says, or answer with an answer to the question it asks?

3. anthony rothstein

An unanswered question isn't very good now!

4. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

It seemed easy but.... XD

5. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

Are you 100% sure on those runes? One seems to be wrong.

6. Moontune

Moontune Active Pony

You're right, one isn't entirely right because the list I had was missing that letter. So I had to slightly improvise.

7. anthony rothstein

Just a quick update!

We'll be contacting the winner shortly, and once they've replied we'll announce them publicly!

8. Silver Broom

Silver Broom Tireless Traveller

I guess I can write this now the competition's closed.

I had noticed (after the picture had already been set), that there should really have been specific single runes used þ (th) and ᛝ (ng) to be phonetically correct, even though in English these are represented by two letters. Arguably the same with ᛓ (ph).
    Is this what you meant?

As some trivia, the þ symbol from runes used to be used in English as well (and it still is in Icelandic). It got replaced by the letter y because printing press blocks in 15th~16th century (most of which were imported from Germany) didn't support þ, hence "Ye Olde" in archaic shop names. Nowadays it's written as 'th'.

9. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

Actually it was that ᛚ was used as a substitute for a V when it actually translates as an L.

Edit: also technically it should have be something more like:
    Untitled.png
    Although that would be just plain mean as you would have to decode it and then translate it from Danish :p

#9 finalsight, 11 April 2016
    Last edited: 11 April 2016
    Silver Broom likes this.
  10. anthony rothstein

Drum roll please! May I announce our winner as @StarStream ! Congratulations! Your ticket to BronyScot (and Rock Nessie) has been emailed to you!

Big thank you to all who entered, we loved receiving our answers and your pictures on twitter!

The answer to our secret message was: Futhark! The viking alphabet <3

StarStream likes this.
  11. StarStream

StarStream Recognised Pony

Thanks so much! :D Definitely didn't think I'd be lucky enough to win the raffle, this has made my day ^.^

anthony rothstein likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.