1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Severn Valley Railway meets. Next: TBA

Discussion in 'Confirmed Event Discussion' started by Loganberry, 31 August 2017.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

This thread is for the discussion of meets at the Severn Valley Railway, starting at Kidderminster Town SVR station.

Next meet:
    TBA
    Meeting point: Kidderminster SVR station ticket office/concourse
    Time: TBA

Notes:
    TBA

(Not much here at the moment, I know, but that's because it's likely to be quite a while before the next one!)

#1 Loganberry, 31 August 2017
    Last edited: 11 June 2019
  2. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Thanks for getting things at least running with this. :)

The 4th November is the earliest date I could realistically make, although I'm possibly going to the Wolverhampton meet then. The 18th would be fine, as would be pretty much any weekend after that leading up to Christmas.

3. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

Apart from going to the Wolverhampton meet same as Oilyvalbes for me.
    September is too soon and October is right out the window, far too much on

4. Loganberry

Thanks for the feedback. :) I've struck out the two early dates now -- the autumn gala is on the 23rd Sept anyway, so anyone who wants some earlier SVR action can always go to that. In case anyone's wondering, 11th November was left out deliberately -- partly because it's a Worcester meet day and partly because it's Remembrance Day so maybe not the right atmosphere for a fun meet like this. 25th November is the last Saturday of operation as December is Santas, Santas and nothing but Santas. :p

Someone asked me elsewhere about fares -- the 2017 price for an adult day rover is £19.80; it'll probably go up next year, but not by much. That includes admission to the Engine House at Highley (about halfway along the line) which has locos on static display, a café and a viewing balcony, plus the inevitable gift shop. The SVR does charge a first-class supplement, but I almost never bother as it's rarely that crowded.

#4 Loganberry, 1 September 2017
    Last edited: 1 September 2017
    Oilyvalves likes this.
  5. Ursa

Ursa A Bear in pony suit >.>

I will attempt to book both the 4th and 18th off to cover all my bases and if I'm refused one i shall use the other as my preferred date. Really quite interested in this if you need help at all feel free to give us a prod.

Oilyvalves and Loganberry like this.
  6. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

It's looking like the 4th and 18th November are the two candidate dates then. I could probably do either, but the 4th might be easier for me.

I could probably do any of those dates but would need to confirm nearer the time.

#6 CuldeeFell, 1 September 2017
    Last edited: 1 September 2017
  7. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I would consider doing a March day, but I don't know how much time off I'll have by then, so if other dates are more convienent for other people that's fine.

8. Loganberry

One possibility would be to test the waters with a meet in November, then if it's a success we could have another one in the spring. I don't think anyone would want to be doing this all the time, but twice in a year doesn't seem too excessive.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  9. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Seems like a good idea. To see how it would work.

10. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

I'm definitely up for this...even if it's steam haulage on the day...;) With the number of rail fans on here I was thinking a combined pony/train meet would be a cool idea...thanks to @Loganberry for making it happen! The 18th would be the easiest for me, I could possibly do the 4th but it would depend on being able to get back home for the 5th as I have work commitments.

11. Loganberry

So far, there seems to be a slight overall preference for the 18th over the 4th. Not going to make a decision for a while though, so nothing is set in stone.
    Maybe not entirely! The standard Saturday timetable uses three steam locos and one diesel -- probably a DMU in November.

12. Loganberry

Okay, since someone else asked me about this in another place, here's the 2017 Saturday timetable -- the squares indicate diesel haulage. The 90-minute gaps are to provide paths for charters or Footplate Experience trains.

[​IMG]

The 2018 timetable will probably be published in preview form sometime in late autumn and finalised in January. At least, that's what happened this year.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  13. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Does it specify DMU or loco haulage?

14. Loganberry

No, so I don't know at this point. The SVR usually only publishes the weekend roster at the last minute. However, in November it's probably more likely to be the Class 108 DMU than a loco. I'll say if there's any further info on this later on.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  15. Loganberry

Hi again, folks. Having talked to a couple more people who might be interested, at the moment it's looking like Saturday 4th November is the most likely date. I know this clashes with a few meets etc, but then so does the 18th. I also now have a root canal operation coming up, unfortunately, and that's been scheduled for just before the 18th, so...

If people reading this could give me an idea of whether they'd be able to make the 4th, that would be great. "Maybe" is a perfectly acceptable answer and you'd be making no firm commitments. It would just be helpful to have an indication

I do intend to try to do this again in the spring, so even if you can't make the November date (or it doesn't happen), there should be another opportunity in a few months. Thanks! :)

#15 Loganberry, 27 September 2017
    Last edited: 27 September 2017
  16. Zenfox

Zenfox SE Train Pone

If work allows more time off then.....so am down as maybe

Loganberry likes this.
  17. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

Definitely maybe

Loganberry likes this.
  18. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

At the moment I can do the 4th :)

Loganberry likes this.
  19. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Maybe. Not certain.

Loganberry likes this.
  20. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Won't be able to make the autumn one but hope it goes well. Still hoping I might get to the March one.

Loganberry likes this.