1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Severn Valley Railway meets. Next: TBA

Discussion in 'Confirmed Event Discussion' started by Loganberry, 31 August 2017.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Thanks for the good wishes. :) Not totally sure at this point whether it will be March, as it depends on the SVR's calendar for next year. Might be after Easter instead. Won't be deciding that until well into next year, though.

I currently have three maybes, one no and a probable for 4th Nov. I'll leave it a little longer, then might try a confirmed thread anyway, as it seems the date isn't considered a totally stupid choice.

#21 Loganberry, 27 September 2017
    Last edited: 28 September 2017
    Wonderbolt likes this.
  2. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

I'm a probable too! I'll need to swap some work stuff with someone but it should be OK.

Loganberry likes this.
  3. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

I still generally dont know, I will be able to say better after ponycon, but put me firmly in the maybes :p

Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  4. Loganberry

Right, I'll leave putting up a confirmed thread for now. It doesn't help that we still don't know for sure where and when the movie will be screening -- the Yorkshire movie meet is actually on the 4th Nov, for example, and maybe others will use that date once things are clearer. However, my current plan is to stick to the 4th for this meet. I'll probably put up a Confirmed thread either just before or just after UKPC weekend.

5. janglehooves

What's the feasability of going to see the movie at the meet? Looking at the timetable, if we took the 1015 from Kidderminster we could do a return trip to Bridgenorth and be back before 1300 or mix it up a bit and be back mid/late afternoon. I don't know what it's like for cinemas in the area but I'd be up for seeing the movie if we could fit it in around the trains.:)

6. Loganberry

Now there's an interesting suggestion! I must confess that thought hadn't crossed my mind until just now.

There is actually a Reel cinema in Bridgnorth, although a small one (three screens), so in theory if there was an early afternoon showing we could actually do "by steam train to the movies" . Harry Potter eat your heart out! :p

I don't know how many other people would want to do this, and the 10:15 train might be a tad early for some, so I'm not going to commit to anything either way, but I'd love to know what others think about this.

7. janglehooves

I think we've missed a trick here...we should have got a charter booked...The Friendship Express...:D Anyway, I'm happy to see what others think about the idea, I just thought it might be nice to combine the two. Even if we set out at 1100 or 1230 we could still do the whole line and be back mid afternoon so it's a matter of when/if it's screening and what sort of rail/pony ratio folks want...:)

Loganberry likes this.
  8. Loganberry

Things have firmed up a bit in the last few days, partly because of talking to some folks at UK PonyCon. So, I'm now going to say that yes, short of any last-minute calamities, this event will happen.

Date: Saturday 4th November 2017
    Meeting place: Kidderminster SVR station
    Meeting time: 10:30am-ish

The plan is for everyone to meet up at Kidderminster and buy tickets from the booking office there; a day rover costs £19.80. (The meet itself is of course free.) Then we'll leave on the 11:00 train, which should be steam-hauled, though there are several possibilities as to how far we'll go before a break; suggestions welcome. We can't really wait any longer, since if you look at the timetable (below) you'll see that there's a 90-minute gap after the 11:00 service.

[​IMG]

Getting to Kidderminster SVR station

By train:
    Kidderminster National Rail station is virtually next door to the SVR one. From Birmingham Moor Street, the 09:39 departure arrives at Kidderminster at 10:18 and the 09:58 arrives at 10:40. From Worcester Foregate Street, the 10:16 departure arrives at Kidderminster at 10:37. When you get there, go to the platform with the station building; you'll be able to see the red-brick SVR station from the NR station's exit.

By car: The station's postcode is DY10 1QX. It's on the A448 Comberton Hill, just east of Kidderminster town centre and shares an entrance with the National Rail station. The SVR car park (~£3; buy token to use on exit) is on the right as you look at the station building; you can also use the National Rail car park (~£4; standard pay and display) to the left.

I'm happy to give my mobile number to anyone who's coming in case they need to text me at some point. Send me a PM on here if you want it.

#28 Loganberry, 24 October 2017
    Last edited: 26 October 2017
    Ursa, CuldeeFell and janglehooves like this.
  9. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Just to say, since we're only a few days away now, that I am planning on coming to this. Looking forward to it. :)

Oilyvalves and Loganberry like this.
  10. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I'll be there too! :)

Looking at the train times, I'll be getting Kidderminster either at about 10:20 or 10:40, depending on whether I make a quick connection in Birmingham.

Then it'll be all aboard the Friendship Expess! :rolleyes:

janglehooves and Loganberry like this.
  11. Loganberry

It'll be good to see everyone who makes it along. :) I'll try to be at the SVR station by 10:15. The railway usually posts the weekend loco roster on Friday, but as an indication last Saturday had the two Pannier tanks, a Manor and the DMU in operation. I'd expect something only slightly different from that.

The weather forecast can be summed up as "November in England", so I expect it'll rain some of the time -- hopefully not all! I'm not sure whether everyone's visited the SVR before, so for those who haven't: the concourse at Kidderminster has an overall roof, but the platforms are open to the elements. (No, not those Elements. :p)

12. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

I'm planning on being there.
    See you all Saturday.

13. janglehooves

Just to confirm, I'm definitely coming to this!

14. Loganberry

Clearly someone at the SVR has noticed that @Oilyvalves is coming, as rather to my surprise (given that it's November) there's a Bulleid on duty. :p The provisional roster is:

1501 (Pannier tank) -- this is what will haul the 11:00 departure
    7812 Erlestoke Manor
    34053 Sir Keith Park
    Class 108 DMU

A nice selection, I'd say. :) Also, if anyone's doing a Footplate Experience that day, it will be hauled by 43106, the "Flying Pig".

Pigasus and Oilyvalves like this.
  15. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I did see that earlier. It's impossible for me to visit any Railway without Sir Keith Park being there running.

It's been a while since I've been to Highley, so would be nice to pop there again?

Loganberry likes this.
  16. Loganberry

Shame it's not Taw Valley really, given that one doesn't travel around.

And yes, I think your suggestion is a good one. How about we get off our first train at Highley, then pick up the next northbound train (hauled by SKP) 90 minutes later to travel to Bridgnorth? The break will be long enough for those who wish to see the Engine House* and maybe get something to eat at the EH café, and both the Manor and the DMU will be passing southbound during that period.

* For anyone who doesn't already know, EH entry is included in the rover ticket price. Just show your ticket at the cash desk on the way in. :)

17. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

I'll be there in spirit then (@;

18. Loganberry

The weather forecast doesn't look too bad for early November, actually. Perhaps a bit damp early on, but by 11am it should be clearing to sunshine and blustery showers. It won't exactly be warm, but I don't think it'll be too bad.

Looks like there will be a Footplate Experience running, in which case there'll be three trains passing Highley while we're there -- the DMU southbound at 12:03, the Flying Pig northbound at 12:25 and the Manor southbound at 12:48. As Highley may be the best publicly-accessible place on the line for viewing, have your cameras ready if you're bringing them ! (And the EH café is right next to the viewing balcony...) Everyone can do what they like at Highley, of course -- if some want to do their own thing until our next train, that's totally fine.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing people tomorrow! :) I'll wait on the benches in the ticket office just inside the SVR station's main entrance and will aim to be there by 10:15.

#38 Loganberry, 3 November 2017
    Last edited: 3 November 2017
  19. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

On my way now. See y'all in a couple of hours.

Loganberry likes this.
  20. Loganberry

The rain's just about stopped here now. See folks soon! :)