1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Severn Valley Railway meets. Next: TBA

Discussion in 'Confirmed Event Discussion' started by Loganberry, 31 August 2017.

1. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I've just left Moor Street.

2. Zenfox

Zenfox SE Train Pone

Hope everyone has a great time, sadly work said no ponies for me but maybe the next one :)

CuldeeFell, Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  3. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Thanks very much to everyone who came along today. :) I don't think it went too badly, at least once we'd found the all-important tea/coffee shop! I hope you all got/get home without any problems. Have a photo -- nothing fancy, but I quite like it. And no, it's not of a muffin. :p

[​IMG]

4. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I really enjoyed today :). I thought it all went very well. The trains behaved themselves fairly well, all things considered. The excursion into Bridgenorth doing the hill train and cafe visit was an unexpected but welcome bonus!

I'm just waiting for my takeaway curry to be prepared now. ;)

5. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

Fantastic day for me, first time on a steam train. It was great to see you all and thanks to Loganberry for setting up the trip. A quiet drive home and now completely shattered so may turn in shortly and catch up on some reading, will have a sort through my photos tomorrow.

6. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Back home safely now, I may post photos if I think I've got any worth sharing. Really enjoyable day, thank you all for being such pleasant company on a day out to a very beautiful piece of countryside.

janglehooves and Loganberry like this.
  7. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

8. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

They had the teaks out, I approve xD

Somerset Cider likes this.
  9. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

We started out on the pannier tank 1501, stopped for lunch then switched to Sir Keith Park too Bridge North. After an exploration of the town and a ride on the cliff railway we came back to Kidderminster on Erlestoke Manor pulling the teak carrages. Sir Keith Park was probably the best ride of the day for me.

Oilyvalves and Wonderbolt like this.
  10. Loganberry

They usually do at weekends. I'd guess they appeal to quite a few people. The SVR is light on LNER locos so they're not terribly authentic, but I've never been a stickler for total authenticity in rolling stock matching, liveries etc anyway.

@Somerset Cider , thanks very much for posting your photos! Some nicely atmospheric stuff in there. :) I particularly like the steamy one on the platform at Bridgnorth. And I hadn't registered that it was your first steam train ride! I suppose living where I do, I can sometimes lose sight of the fact that it's not at all a routine thing for most people.

I was pretty happy that we got both Sir Keith Park and Erlestoke Manor, given that neither will be around next year (SKP off to Swanage, EM into the works). It does guarantee that if we do something like this again next year, we'll have different locos to see, of course. Also, two more photos from me, because why not?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

Firstly, thanks to @Loganberry for organising this meet, it was an excellent day out! The train/pony mix was very enjoyable and even this diesel pony could appreciate the spectacle of steam in the beautiful setting of the SVR! It was also nice to revisit Bridgenorth after many years. Thanks also to @Oilyvalves for leading the way from Moor Street to New Street, I'd have had no idea where I was going otherwise!

Oilyvalves, Loganberry and CuldeeFell like this.
  12. Loganberry

Right, since things went okay, I'm going to tentatively suggest doing this again in early spring -- 3rd March is a date that looks possible. Obviously far too early to commit to specific details, especially since the SVR's 2018 timetable isn't out yet. But someone did ask about maybe having lunch at the Unicorn Inn in Hampton Loade, and that might be a nice idea.

Anyway, thank you once again to everyone who came along, and if/when wheels do start to turn again I'll post in this thread. (Hence the subtle title change!)

Oilyvalves likes this.
  13. Loganberry

Okay, as this came up in the "Trains!" thread earlier, I thought I might as well post something now. :) I'd be happy to have a meet in the spring, though my inclination would be to wait until the weather has warmed up a bit! Realistically, that means after Easter. One date that might work is Saturday 21st April -- it's not on a special event day, it's after the school holidays are over and it doesn't clash with a Worcester meet. This date is far from being set in stone yet, so I'm happy to listen to alternative ideas.

The 2018 SVR timetable is now out, and I've put the timetable for that day under a cut below. It's fairly similar to the one we had in the autumn, with the only major change being that the last train of the day is considerably later than before. I'm not 100% sure, but 21st April might be late enough in the season for the diesel trains (marked with a square in the timetable) to be loco-hauled rather than using the DMU.

A suggestion several people liked when this came up at a Worcester meet was to get the 11:10 as far as Hampton Loade and then have lunch in the pub just down the lane from there -- which is called The Unicorn! :D Again, comments welcome.

SVR timetable 21 Apr 2018.jpg

#53 Loganberry, 6 February 2018
    Last edited: 6 February 2018
    vcgriffin likes this.
  14. Loganberry

Okay, since my calendar is starting to fill up, I feel I'd like to get the date fixed before the SVR gala this weekend. As such, in the absence of any other suggestions, I'm sticking with the date I mentioned last time. This meetup will happen on Saturday 21st April, and will stick with the idea of travelling to the Unicorn pub in Hampton Loade for lunch. The simple way is to catch the 11:10 from Kidderminster (arr 12:08) but it would also be possible to get the 10:25 with a stop at Highley to see whatever's passing the other way. Depends what suits people best.

I have no idea at this point what's likely to be running, but there should be three steam locos in operation. The diesel turn will almost certainly be DMU-hauled, I'm afraid.

If anyone's coming to the gala on Saturday, feel free to bring this up there if you like. I don't need more than a few days' notice myself, though, so it's fine to leave decisions until after Easter if you prefer.

15. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Hi there. Unfortunately I can't do the 21st, as I'm already booked up that weekend. Any date before then is probably not the best for me either.

Obviously, everyone can have their input, and the date can be chosen which fits in with most people. So no hard feelings if I have to miss this one; even though lunch at the Unicorn sounds excellent!

16. Loganberry

Sorry to hear that -- hopefully see you at the gala on Saturday, though. :)

I think I'm likely to stick with 21st April for this one, for a few reasons. First, a couple of people have asked me informally about it and this is the date I've mentioned to them. It's also away from the dates for the three UK pony cons and GalaCon, as well as being out of the school holidays. Finally, it's not on an SVR event day -- the Unicorn isn't huge, and I doubt anyone really wants to be waiting an hour just to sit down! :p So for example 28th April is out (Paw Patrol), as is 19th May (Griffish Isles and SVR Diesel Gala). You know how these things go.

The date isn't totally fixed yet, and if a bunch of people told me that (say) they could do mid-June or something I'd consider it -- but assuming the 21st April, I have it in my mind that I want to give a full month's notice, so by a week today. As your own post illustrates, people's calendars are filling up. If the meet doesn't go ahead, then there'll be no hard feelings on my part, either -- I was actually pleasantly surprised by how many people were able to make it in November! Anyway, I'll post in the "Trains!" thread later, and on Twitter as well.

So in brief: other date suggestions welcome, but 21st April will be it unless several people are fairly sure they can all do the same alternative date.

#56 Loganberry, 14 March 2018
    Last edited: 14 March 2018
    Oilyvalves likes this.
  17. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

This all sounds perfectly reasonable. I'm now almost certain that I'll be at the Gala this Saturday, so I'll see you then anyway.

At some point this year, I'd still like to achieve my ambition of walking from Bewdley to Arley. That will need to wait a couple of months until the weather is drier though. Maybe I could combine that with a trip to the Unicorn.

Loganberry likes this.
  18. Loganberry

I think the earliest I've done that walk and not regretted my decision was the second half of May. The route I usually take (the western bank) is fine for 90% of the time by then, though it has (or at least had when I did it) one marshy patch that's pretty much unavoidable. Nothing impossible, though, and ordinary street shoes will be fine if they're in good nick. :)

19. anthony rothstein

I'm probably totally missing the section where it's explained..
    But could someone explain how this works to me?

Would we all be meeting at a specific station at a specific time? And then returning to that same station at the end of the day?

20. Loganberry

I need to add these details to the first post, but pretty much, yes. Kidderminster SVR station is literally across the car park from Kidderminster NR station, so we'll be meeting there in good time for the 11:10am train up to Hampton Loade. (You need to allow 20 minutes or so for the connection and buying your SVR ticket. Probably generous, but there are sometimes longish queues.) After lunch, we'll spend a bit more time travelling on/looking at trains and then head back to Kidderminster.

It's not at all compulsory to stay with the group the whole day, for example if anyone needs/wants to leave early. However, road access to Hampton Loade is very limited, so driving to the pub is not really a practical option.