1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Severn Valley Railway meets. Next: TBA

Discussion in 'Confirmed Event Discussion' started by Loganberry, 31 August 2017.

1. anthony rothstein

Cheers for the info!

Just checked then, Kidderminsters about a three and a half hour drive for me, so I probably give it a miss.
    Are there ever similar things closer to Yorkshire?

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

No worries, then. It is a long way, I know. In answer to your question: the nearest thing I know of was that several of us were planning to join @Oilyvalves at the Great Central Railway's Winter Gala in January. Unfortunately he had to call it off as the weather on the day was terrible. That would have been a more informal thing, though, with little in the way of set planning regarding what we'd do during the day. The SVR meets came out of chats at the regular Worcester meets, since they're very convenient for those travelling by rail.

3. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

Unfortunately I'm going to have to give this one a miss. The Weardale Railway is holding a Class 31 event that weekend and in spite of their poor reputation I'm rather fond of "Goyles". I'm planning on coming down for the diesel gala at the SVR in May if anyone's about, but on past form it's not what you'd call a laid-back social type of gathering...:D

4. Loganberry

Have a good time at the Weardale Railway! :) And at the SVR diesel gala, though that's the same day as the Griffish Isles convention so that will take priority for a kettle fan like me.

As for the 21st April meetup date... I think it's back to a possible now -- so many people (here and elsewhere) have told me they can't make 21/4 that I'm seriously starting to doubt whether that date is going to work at all. I'll make a decision a week or so after Easter -- I don't think it would be fair to cancel things at the very last minute.

16th June is about the only other option that doesn't clash with something. The calendar (SVR's and mine) is so busy this year that almost every other Saturday before the school holidays has something going on -- you really don't want to try to get a quiet meal during the 1940s weekend, for example! If a number of people say they'd be available and interested in a 16/6 meet instead, then I'd consider it, but we'll see.

If neither date works, I'll probably call it a day, at least for this year, and maybe try again in 2019. A repeat of last year's late-autumn meet is not something that I really have much interest in, as the SVR's timetable is thinner than 2017's (we'd be on the DMU for an hour) and I'm fed up with being cold when I go to the railway! I will probably be at the Autumn Steam Gala (22nd Sep) and will happily say hello to anyone else who's there, but that would be an informal thing like I did last weekend.

#64 Loganberry, 24 March 2018
    Last edited: 24 March 2018
  5. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

At this moment in time I think I am good for either date.

6. Loganberry

Thanks; that's helpful. We'll see how it goes.

Somerset Cider likes this.
  7. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

As things stand I reckon I could do the 16th of June!

8. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

For what it's worth, I could do 16/6. And the novelty of being at a steam railway in warm weather would certainly been an added pull!

Somerset Cider likes this.
  9. Loganberry

Hmm, very interesting. Thanks. I'll think about it over the next day or two, but that June date has suddenly become one I'm thinking seriously about. I'll see what others think. Of course, you just know it would turn out to be be the coldest, wettest June day on record. ;)

janglehooves and Oilyvalves like this.
  10. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I might be interested and could probably do either date.

Loganberry likes this.
  11. Loganberry

Right, having talked to one or two other people who might be interested, I think the general sentiment is clear -- June is clearly a more popular option than April. As such, I am officially changing the date of this meet to Saturday 16th June. Same timetable as before -- so the basic plan remains to get the 11:10 from Kidderminster and arrive at Hampton Loade at 12:08, then after lunch play things by ear.

A side bonus of switching to June is that the diesel will be a loco (probably a Class 50) rather than the DMU, though I don't know if we'll actually travel with it. The 16th is the first day of the coarse fishing season, so there'll probably be a number of anglers around, but I doubt there'll be so many as to cause problems getting a table at the pub. Apart from that I can't think of anything that will be different from normal.

12. Loganberry

Bumping this, mostly just to say that yes, it is still going ahead on 16th June. :)

Now that the new NR timetables are here, I can give details for those planning to come to Kidderminster by train:

From Birmingham Moor St, there are trains at 09:39 (arr. 10:18) and 09:58 (arr. 10:40).
    From Worcester Foregate St, there is a train at 10:16 (arr. 10:38)

All those will give you time to get across to the SVR and buy your ticket without having to rush. I'll make sure I'm at Kidderminster SVR station by 10:18. If anyone wants my (newish) mobile number, please send me a PM on here.

13. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

So help me, I'll make one of these eventually ... sadly, though, it won't be June 16th

14. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Sorry you can't make this one, but would be good to see you at a future one!

15. Loganberry

You'll be very welcome if/when you can make it, of course. Though right now, I've no idea when that might be. :p

16. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

I'll be there!
    Supposed to be at the Three Counties Show, but doing Sunday instead now.

Loganberry likes this.
  17. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I'll be there too. Looking forward to it.

Loganberry likes this.
  18. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

Is anypony else going via B'ham?

19. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I will be, yep. I'll probably walk from New Street to Moor Street.

vcgriffin likes this.
  20. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

Great, want too meet at new street? (I finally discovered Moor Street for the first time on the way back from the last worcester meet. ^^)