1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Severn Valley Railway meets. Next: TBA

Discussion in 'Confirmed Event Discussion' started by Loganberry, 31 August 2017.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Let me add my thank you to everyone who came along, and I'm glad it seemed to go well. :) Only having the one massive cloudburst (and that one somewhere we had a sort-of roof) helped, of course! It also made a nice change to be a little too warm at the SVR, given the cold in March and last November!

Next up for me will be the SVR's Autumn Steam Gala in September, and I'll happily say hello to anyone else who's around. I think that date (22/9) clashes with a Worcester ponymeet, so I'll be taking a few hours off in the middle to go there before returning to the SVR in the evening! And I'd certainly be open to doing another small-scale SVR meet like yesterday's at some point, but that's a fair way in the future yet. Watch this thread!

Okay, photo time! I was rather relieved to find out that at least a few of my phone pics had come out moderately well, so here are half a dozen of them.

The diesel shunter at Kidderminster
    [​IMG]

Taw Valley at Kidderminster early in the morning
    [​IMG]

Twilight enforcing the regulations! (plush belongs to @Oilyvalves)
    [​IMG]

Awaiting the right-away for no. 2857 at Hampton Loade
    [​IMG]

The Ivatt leaving Highley under slightly threatening skies
    [​IMG]

The Class 50 passing the Engine House
    [​IMG]

Somerset Cider and Oilyvalves like this.
  2. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

A great day Saturday and good to see you all in a different setting, only to be Followed by a very hectic Sunday at Three counties, took most of Monday to recover and have only pulled the pics off the camera this evening.
    Nothing outstanding, but here you are....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some Hieferlumps
    [​IMG]

CuldeeFell, Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  3. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Great shot of the ellies, considering it was taken from a moving train!

Somerset Cider likes this.
  4. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

Thanks, I am rather pleased with it too, needed a bit of sharpening, a touch of shake when really enlarged.
    i thought the class 50 came out quite well as well

5. Loganberry

*nudges this thread back into life*

Hello again! I was at the SVR for the gala today with @Somerset Cider and @Oilyvalves and suggested running another one of these summer meetups. The idea seemed to be reasonably received, by which I mean it wasn't instantly thrown into the Severn. ;)

Since people's schedules do quickly fill up, I thought it would be a good idea to start discussing dates while there's still plenty of time. So, what about a Saturday in June? The final one (29th) is out as it's the 1940s weekend, which although fun if you're in the mood is always very crowded. (It also charges gala-rate fares!)

Of the others, the 1st has a Food & Drink Fayre in the Highley Engine House (still standard fares though), and the 8th, 15th and 22nd are standard summer Saturdays. So, any thoughts are welcome! :)

Somerset Cider and Oilyvalves like this.
  6. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

My June is looking quite empty at the moment, so I'd very much be interested in one of these again.

Loganberry likes this.
  7. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

At the mo, either the 8th or the 15th is good for me.

Loganberry likes this.
  8. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Update from me. There's an event on the 15th I'm interested in; the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway steam weekend. So would prefer it not to be then.

9. Loganberry

Right, so what about provisionally making the date 8th June?

10. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

That would suit me just fine. It’s probably worth plugging this thread round to the wider train-horse fraternity to see if we can drum up interest. :)

Loganberry likes this.
  11. Loganberry

Okay then. :) That's the second Saturday in June, which means a scheduled Worcester meet day, so a quick alert to @Pigasus seems polite. I'm perfectly fine with missing that Worcester meet if the others want to go ahead with it, obviously.

12. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

There are five Saturdays in June so we could fit round it, we'll decide nearer the time

Loganberry likes this.
  13. Loganberry

My calendar for the early summer is filling up fairly fast already, and I expect it's the same for others. So probably time we decided whether the 8th June date should be kept, as soon it may not be possible to change it anyway! For me 8th June is still fine, but I'd be happy for any input. :)

14. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Zenfox likes this.
  15. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

8th is good for me.

16. Loganberry

Okay, I'm going to fix the date, then.

Saturday 8th June.

We can work out meeting times etc later; I'll grab a timetable over the next few days. anyone have any particular thing they'd like to do?

Oilyvalves likes this.
  17. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

OK, gd gd. I’ve tried to spread the word in a couple of places. I believe @vcgriffin has said elsewhere that he’s interested. :)

The previous meets, we’ve spent considerable time at Bridgenorth, Hampton Load and Highley. A couple of suggestions:

- Explore Bewdley. I’ve never been down into the town proper. We could maybe find a cafe like we did in Bridgnorth.
    - If the weather’s decent, visit one of your regular ice cream places in Arley?

I’m open to anything though really. As long as we get to see some steam trains. :D

Loganberry likes this.
  18. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Very tempting. I think I could get a train return for about £20 to £30 so it wouldn't drain me financially. Will let you guys know :)

Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  19. Loganberry

Short of a massive drought all May that shoots up the fire risk to extreme, I can probably guarantee that one! ;)

And either of those suggestions would be fine by me. Being a local, I'm not at all fussy about what we do. If we end up in Bewdley, there are quite a few places to eat and it's around 10 mins' walk from the station to the town centre -- comparable with Bridgnorth, but with slightly fewer steep hills! ;)
    No worries -- nothing on this day will need booking, so you're welcome to make your mind right up to a day or two beforehand if you like. Would be very nice to meet someone new if you can make it, of course. :)

Here's the timetable that'll be running on 8 June. As it's a summer Saturday, there should be three steam locos and one diesel in operation, though the exact roster probably won't be published until the day before. I'd imagine we'll be getting the 11:10am from Kidderminster, which from memory is what we did last year.

SVR timetable 8 Jun 2019.jpg

Oilyvalves and GatewaytoGlimmer like this.
  20. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

@Loganberry Thanks mate! I will most likely go though found some pretty good fares for less than I expected (talking less than £15!) so once I get a solid time I can book it :)

Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.