1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Severn Valley Railway meets. Next: TBA

Discussion in 'Confirmed Event Discussion' started by Loganberry, 31 August 2017.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Okay then, let's move on to that. Is everyone okay with us meeting up at Kidderminster (SVR) and catching the 11:10am train from there to wherever we decide? Given the next one isn't for an hour and a half, it seems the obvious choice. Just thought I should check. :)

2. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

All good with me.

3. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Yep that's absolutely fine :)

4. Loganberry

Okay, then I'll fix that as well. :) I don't think anything else needs deciding until much nearer the time, though of course any ideas/questions are still welcome.

For anyone who hasn't been here before, I'll put some directions from Kidderminster NR station in the first post in the thread.

GatewaytoGlimmer likes this.
  5. Loganberry

Bumping this because I have some relevant news: 8th June is the day of Bewdley Carnival. This wouldn't prevent us stopping off in the town for a bit, though, as we'd be getting there a couple of hours before the festivities. It would be busy, but any summer Saturday in Bewdley is busy, especially if the weather's good. There'll be road closures for the parade, but all the roads we'd need to use would still be open to pedestrians.

So we can do that, or we can pick a different station (eg Arley) to stop at. Bewdley is really the only intermediate station where there's more than a small village, though. In any case, I'm happy to go along with what others would like. :) (Edit: the SVR is running a normal timetable, so we're fine on that score.)

Oilyvalves and Somerset Cider like this.
  6. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

I'm happy to go with the flow (as long as it doesn't involve jumping in the river)

Loganberry likes this.
  7. Loganberry

So far, the bridge has held up! But I'm sure we can hire a boat if needed. :p

Somerset Cider and Oilyvalves like this.
  8. Zenfox

Zenfox SE Train Pone

If all goes to plan heath wise I hope to make this. Will confirm at the start of that week if I can go:3

Oilyvalves likes this.
  9. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

Now there's a plan! Train to Bridgnorth, then canoe back down the river. :D

Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  10. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

Im in longon fot the L* party LGBT con :/

11. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

That's a pity, we'll be missing you! Hopefully we can still sort out our GCR visit between us.

12. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

One day! lol :)

Oilyvalves likes this.
  13. Loganberry

The curse of clashing events! As @Oilyvalves says, you'll be missed. Naturally you're always welcome at any SVR meets in the future. :)
    As it happens, there is a company that regularly runs something like that, though on a smaller scale (between Bewdley and Arley -- canoe one way, train the other). It's pretty successful -- but I'm not planning on that for the 8th! :p

#133 Loganberry, 24 May 2019
    Last edited: 24 May 2019
    Oilyvalves likes this.
  14. Loganberry

Update: Having looked into this year's parade route and timings for Bewdley Carnival, I don't think it's going to work out for us to stop in Bewdley for lunch, unfortunately. The main problem is that they'll be going over the river bridge at lunchtime, and that road will be closed for a while as a result. There's no other way across the river without a huge detour.

So apologies for that. Arley is still a possible alternative, as long as the weather's okay or better. But I'm very happy to go along with what people want. Nothing will need booking in advance, so we can still play things by ear on the day. :)

15. Loganberry

Another update: I've added a little FAQ section in the first post of this thread, which is mostly aimed at those who aren't familiar with the SVR/heritage railways. It also includes a brief guide to how to cross Birmingham between New Street and Snow Hill/Moor Street stations.

I'll try to be at Kidderminster SVR by 10:30 on Saturday. I may even be a bit earlier, if I decide to have breakfast there! (The refreshment room, gift shop and so on are all open by 9:30 at the latest.)

#135 Loganberry, 5 June 2019
    Last edited: 5 June 2019
  16. Loganberry

It's tomorrow! The weather forecast could be better (yay understatement) but we should be okay. I'll mention most of this on Twitter, but for those who prefer it here:

* I'll be at Kidderminster station by 10:30 at the latest. Possibly earlier if I decide to have breakfast there!
    * For anyone attending who's never met me, look for the bloke in glasses with a small Fluttershy cutie mark badge on his jacket lapel.
    * Our first train (the 11:10) will be hauled by GWR loco no. 2857. Others operating are 6960 Raveningham Hall, D821 Greyhound, 34027 Taw Valley and 4144. The last two will be swapped at some point in the day, but I don't know when. So it could be 4144 even when we start.

Any last-minute updates will be on my public Twitter, which is at @louderyay.

See folks tomorrow! :)

Somerset Cider likes this.
  17. Loganberry

At Kidderminster station now. Going to get on train when everyone's bought tickets as it's only 15 mins. Will probably stop at Highley, but see @louderyay for updates. :)

18. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I just want to thank @Loganberry for organising yesterday's meet. It seemed to go down rather well despite the challenging early weather! :)

Very nice to see some new faces at the meet as well.

A few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One for @Somerset Cider :
    [​IMG]

Loganberry, Somerset Cider and Zenfox like this.
  19. Loganberry

And a few from me too! These have already been on Twitter, but for the benefit of everyone else:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope those who came had a reasonable time, despite the weather. I was relieved that conditions improved as the day went on -- if we'd been going today, it would have been a washout! (And not the Scootaloo version. :p ) As @Oilyvalves said, it was nice to put faces to a few more names. This was also the first time I'd got to spend more than five minutes in the Bridgnorth refreshment room -- something I recently discovered is that quite a lot of the individual chairs in there are refurbished original GWR furniture. :)

Whether there'll be another SVR meet in 2020, who knows, though if it happens it's likely to be at roughly the same time of year. I have an unmissable holiday in June that year, though, so the exact same weekend is definitely out. That's way too far ahead to plan for now, though. I do intend to be at the SVR's Autumn Steam Gala in late September, but I won't be setting up a formal meet for that. As usual, I'll be happy to see anyone who wants to come, but it'll be done on a much more casual basis without such set times. (Bear in mind that it's a lot more crowded then, with the need to stand up a lot.)

Anyway, thank you again to everyone who attended! :)

Somerset Cider, Zenfox and Oilyvalves like this.