1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Side series discussion

Discussion in 'MLP Comic Series Discussion' started by Loganberry, 27 January 2014.

1. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Bought FF #26 yesterday and, yeah, 'twas fun. Blueblood and Shining Armor worked really well as a pair together, with Shining Armor working well as a "straight man" for Bluebood's antics to play off. Only one thing that bothered me, this seemed to be only 20 pages rather than the usual 22. Mainly I noticed because I got to the end and thought "surely it can't be over already" but that's partly based on how much fun I was having reading it. How much you enjoy this comic may well depend on how much you enjoy Blueblood, because he really is what makes this comic work, but I enjoy him, and he's well used here.

Loganberry likes this.
  2. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

Good news, princess fans! Looks like Best Princess and Twilight are getting their own FF comic in a few months - clicky

3. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Oh gosh, that first cover design!
    Poor "Other Princess"... :(

CuldeeFell and Wonderbolt like this.
  4. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I don't follow the comics particularly, but.. wow.

Also:
    That second cover - Friendship is Witchcraft confirmed! :p

5. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

[previous]... was at the Wolverhampton meet last Saturday. Here's a picture of the ones I bought:

comics.jpg

Sadly I wasn't very impressed by #25 (Twilight and Rainbow Dash). The villains seemed a little underdeveloped, the moral felt a bit forced and the whole thing felt flat. Some nice ideas (I liked the camouflage spell) but not one I'd recommend.

#27 (Granny Smith and Pinkie Pie) on the other hand was lovely. I was really pleased with it. Granny's pushed to being grumpier than normal by the pain of a broken hip and the feeling of helplessness and impotency. Some people have said that Granny's out of character here, but I really don't think so; I can completely see her acting this way under these circumstances. Crucially at the end of the comic she realises she hasn't been treating Pinkie Pie the right way and seeks out Pinkie Pie to apologise to her, something Granny doesn't normally have to do. Granny recognises she's in the wrong here, which is unusual for her, but she's pushed there by an extremely trying set of circumstances.

Pinkie Pie is interesting here, saying that Granny's verbal abuse of her reminds her of the rock farm and makes her feel at home... I think Pinkie Pie's a fascinating character when the interplay between her somewhat miserable childhood and her desire to make everyone happy all the time is explored. Is she overcompensating based on her own experience? I don't know. She's good in this comic though.

As to the main series ones I bought, I was... [continued]

Loganberry likes this.
  6. Irregular Apocalypse

Friends Forever #31 has been announced (linky) - Rainbow Dash and ... Little Strongheart

Interesting pair-up is interesting.

7. Cendaquenta

I assumed everyone had just quietly forgotten about the buffalo... hrm. Should be fun to see what this issue does with them. A quest plot could be cool, too.

8. Irregular Apocalypse

Coming next, Fluttershy and Prince Rutherford :p

(I would actually like to see a yak story, too)

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  9. Cendaquenta

The Shining Armour/Blueblood issue had quite a lot of yak.

10. Irregular Apocalypse

I was not aware of that - if it isn't out in an anthology yet then chances are I've not read it.

11. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

What's interesting about this forthcoming issue is that it's written and drawn by Tony Fleece. I guess he's channeling his inner Nick Roche!

12. Irregular Apocalypse

He's also doing the colouring.

I wouldn't be surprised if the story is a ponified version of a Native American 'vision quest' or somesuch. With added AAAAPPLEOOSA!

13. Cendaquenta

Received the Pinkie/Granny Smith issue from Ebay yesterday. It was so sweet. :D Really well-done issue.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  14. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Read the Rarity/ Maud Pie issue today. It was sweet; a really well done issue. It uses Rarity's diary as a framing device in a way that's constantly amusing (we get Rarity's thoughts throughout the whole adventure) and has a nice payoff at the end. This is the kind of issue that's doing what Friends Forever does best.

The treasure hunt aspect is set up in a way that stretches credibility and the antagonist is underdeveloped, but these are pretty minor flaws. Overall it's a comic that knows what it's doing and does it.

15. Cendaquenta

Agh. I've really fallen off the wagon when it comes to keeping up with the MLP comics, I didn't even know there was a new Friends Forever out.

16. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Issue 32 is to feature Fluttershy and Daring Do. Written by Ted Anderson and Drawn by Jay Fosgitt.

Cendaquenta and Loganberry like this.
  17. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I'm really looking forward to that one. I'm hoping there's at least a small part for Rainbow, to explain why she's not the one accompanying Daring. But I loved the RR/FS issue, also drawn by Fosgitt.

18. Cendaquenta

Received Friends Forever #29 today - had to get it off Ebay as my Forbidden Planet apparently stopped stocking the pony comics, gripegripe. I loved it, I love Maud, the art was adorable, and the message was wonderful - I love that the comics addressed people having different modes of expression and lack of visible emotions =/= lack of emotions.
    Comic has only further reinforced my "autistic/neurodivergent Maud" headcanon. :D

DerpyWhooves and CuldeeFell like this.
  19. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

I'd had her as very introverted, but neurodivergent makes sense too.

Got my first Friends Forever the other day because Mr Derpy thought he was buying the latest FiM but I'm not complaining :D Enjoyed Twily helping "Other Princess" with her confidence.

One of my favourite guest characters coming to the comics has to be a gouda thing:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/07/discord-origins-and-more-coming-to-mlp.html

Cendaquenta likes this.
  20. Cendaquenta

'Bout time Cheese came back in some form, even if, regrettably, we won't have Weird Al's lolarious vocals this time.

The Twily and Cadance issue was quite good. I found it a pretty relevant criticism of the "princess culture" too, both in regards to the MLP princesses and other franchises like Disney Princesses, where the role is portrayed as superficially as possible and kids are encouraged to see only pretty dresses and shiny palaces.

DerpyWhooves likes this.