1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Side series discussion

Discussion in 'MLP Comic Series Discussion' started by Loganberry, 27 January 2014.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

That was a pretty good place to begin! :) The FF series is generally more self-contained than the main series -- there are some callbacks as you'd expect, but you can usually enjoy each issue on its own. And this was one I also enjoyed. I'll admit that I wanted it mostly for the cover, but the story was a nice one, making (as @Cendaquenta says) some pretty good points while it was at it.

The whole "princess culture" thing is particularly interesting as far as Equestria is concerned, given that pony princesses are really serious entities with enormous real power and wisdom, a very different proposition to the pretty pink stereotype. Okay, okay, Cadance is pink. :p

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  2. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

One of the many things I like about Pony - yes there are pretty princesses, but there is way more depth to them than that :)

I didn't know much about FF and was concerned I'd maybe come into the comic mid-arc but I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that they are self-contained. Was also glad I got that cover because it's amusing :D

Loganberry and CuldeeFell like this.
  3. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I managed to (finally) get the Twilight and Cadance issue this week. Loved the cover :D. The story was very nice too.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  4. Bronydiferous

Bronydiferous 'Diferous

Loved the latest FF with Rainbow and Little Strongheart! I just wish it could have been at least twice (maybe three times ) as long. Great art, ideas and concept.

CuldeeFell and DerpyWhooves like this.
  5. Loganberry

News via EQD from the NYCC reveal: there will be a Guardians of Harmony comic, but it will be an annual, not an ongoing monthly.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  6. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

First of all January friends forever issue details shows that it will focus on Rainbow Dash and Soarin (artwork by Tony Fleece.) Secondly in the same month a second Friends forever omnibus will be released with a very strange cover, it shows the ponies doing a version of Rocky Horror show drawn by Jay Fossgit here's a link to it:http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/10/my-little-pony-friends-forever-omnibus.html

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  7. moody magpie

CuldeeFell likes this.
  8. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

9. Loganberry

It sounds to me like a very high-risk fanfic: one that in the hands of a top-line writer could be brilliant, but which could very easily crash and burn instead. I suppose a pro writer ought to be more likely to get it right -- but I've read some superb Blueblood fanfics, so I'm going to have high standards for this one! :p

10. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I'm something of a sucker for Blueblood stories (like Loganberry I've read some very good Blueblood fanfictions) and I think Katie Cook is easily the best writer the MLP comics have ever had, so colour me very excited for this comic.

11. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

It's not really anything against Blueblood in particular, as he's kind of a "blank slate" character, really.

I admit that my own preferences and biases are at play here, but I've seen a good amount of "Twilight replaced by (some other character)" (Usually Sunset, but sometimes other unicorns like Moondancer or Trixie) While a lot of it just seem to be a sort of "what if?" scenario, I have seen a good number that also have a prominent element of Twilight-bashing.

I'm sure that's not what's intended here, but I suppose it's soured my attitude towards the concept in general.

12. moody magpie

Info on Friends forever issue 38 have come to light. It is to feature Luna and Celestia, and it will be writen and drawn by Andy Price who must be channelling his inner Nick Roche.

13. Loganberry

Not being a TF fan I had to look up who Nick Roche was... but as far as the Celestia/Luna comic itself is concerned, I'm very much looking forward to it. It still doesn't excuse the show team for failing to give us a Tia episode ever, but it's certainly much better than nothing! I have no clue how good Price is as a comic writer -- has he written anything else, even away from the MLP fandom?

14. moody magpie

A couple of news items. First of all issue 38 of Friends Forever will be the last one. Secondly a replacement series has been confirmed which will be called Legends of Magic which will explore the history of Equestria.

#234 moody magpie, 18 January 2017
    Last edited: 18 January 2017
  15. Cendaquenta

That's a real shame, actually - FF's been better than the main line for a while now.
    This, however, sounds really cool. I do worry that this will mean we don't get this info in the show, though - we've been needing a lot of lore explored for a long time and the writers just aren't addressing it even when it's staring them in the face, and I wouldn't like to see really important backstory shunted off to a barely-canon comic line.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  16. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Hmm, mixed feelings about this. Positive overall, because it doesn't sound like they're reducing the number of comics they're publishing any time soon, just shifting onto something new. That said, Friends Forever had enough potential to run and run for a very long time, where as a series focussed on the history of Equestria sounds like it'll run out of material much more quickly since there are far fewer ways for familiar characters to be featured. We shall see what it brings.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  17. Loganberry

I really like the Friends Forever concept too, and I'm sad it's going to come to a close: it could have gone on pretty much forever. Legends of Magic sounds fascinating, but it feels more like Fiendship in that I suspect it'll have a relatively short run. I suspect the reason is simply commercial: the December sales figures show that FF #35 dipped to 9,765. I vaguely remember Bobby Curnow, back in the days when IDW had working forums, saying that 8,000 was about the floor for a top-line IDW comic, though with MLP I imagine Hasbro's views would be the key factor.
    I suppose the comics might be considered a little more canon by then, given the way #51-53 of the main series will tie into S7. But that's just a suggestion and may be entirely wrong.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  18. Loganberry

One very minor thing: because of IDW yet again messing around with release dates, the Rainbow/Soarin Friends Forever is the first comic to use the new, white MLP logo on the front. Not, as was originally planned, main-series #50 -- which is now due next week.

19. Stormblaze

Stormblaze Purple song pone

FF #36!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*massive grin*

I went and ordered both SoarDash covers for my collection, they're the only comics that are not on the bookshelf but are now in my Wonderbolt shelf display. AND THE STORY IS SO CUTE! Soarin is the best, he's more adorable and sweet than he was before. You have to look past the "whining" as Denz calls it.

also Derpy is the most superior flyer anyone else notice that from this comic?

Loganberry and DerpyWhooves like this.
  20. Loganberry

Well, this is both weird and annoying... the subscription cover of the "Guardians of Harmony" comic (drawn by Jay Fosgitt) is listed as being published tomorrow. However, the main cover (Andy Price) is listed as "TBD" and I can't find it on sale anywhere from a UK seller. I'd much prefer the Price cover, but I'm not prepared to wait an unspecified time or pay US import costs, so I guess I'll have to order the Fosgitt one. :/

Edit: Comixology has a release date of 1 March for the Price cover version, and I think I'm willing to wait one week. So I'll hold off for now. At worst, I can buy the electronic version and pick up a paper copy second-hand later on.

#240 Loganberry, 21 February 2017
    Last edited: 22 February 2017
    DerpyWhooves likes this.