1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Discussion Something possibly a little crazy

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Blaze_Midnight, 30 August 2014.

1. Blaze_Midnight

Blaze_Midnight Isn't it great to be different?

Ok. I've been thinking of something a bit more... complex for a forum RP. While we have character apps, they don't do much except go through your characters more... indepth side, so their basic parts of past/ history, names, genders, ages, ect.

What I'm thinking is more...RPG style.. Using character sheets done for MLP: Roleplaying is Magic, I want to know if you would be up for a more action based roleplay that uses stats, experience points for completing quests/ defeating monsters/ect, and possibly even item drops.. from simple health/ mana potions to weapons, armour, ect.

http://www.roleplayingismagic.com/

there are 4 different versions of the rules and character sheets. But I am considering just using the season 2 stuff as a base and then getting some friends who I used to do RiM roleplays with and of course @Fridge to help with changing it up and making it more suited for something different.

By different I mean, creating a world kind of like in the anime Sword Art Online, setting up many different places like shops, restaurants ect, any form of violence is more of a RPG style, where there is no blood, just cuts and then the enemy disappearing. Only to possibly respawn a short time later in a normal MMORPG.

Again this is only an idea and I am just trying to gauge feedback to see how much interest would be up for this, if it was possible to get it to work.

2. Aethelberdia

Aethelberdia Returning Pony

I disagree with this. Roleplaying is Magic isn't really a brilliant idea because it tries too hard to be balanced between gameplay (like D&D) and roleplaying (like our RPs now). It just doesn't work out, as it's not detailed enough, it's far too vague, but it tries to have rules.
    I'd be more than pleased to play a slightly adapted version of D&D, of course, but that'd require money for rulebooks and that. I think what we've got now is fine, if a little easy to god-mode in, and I distinctly remember a normal, non-admin member asking this a while ago and it being turned down.

#2 Aethelberdia, 30 August 2014
    Last edited: 30 August 2014
  3. Fridge

Fridge Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.

Your speaking of the Bronybase conversation. Yes they did want something like this but not quite, I should also point out that at the time of that specific conversation certain rules were in effect. True those rules still are but certain things are being discussed to make changes. If the conversation happened now it may not have receive quite the same response.

Anyway, part of what blaze is proposing is to allow players more... Adventure and a feeling of progression. Being able to attain perks or skills which may not be involved in combat specifically. That's why the SAO part is mentioned, that show specifically doesn't show blood, enemies just disappear and respawn later.
    As for god-modeing, well yes it is possible. But we'd expect you to be responsible in the roleplay, I mean it's no fun if everyone is goku :p personally I like a challenge.

As for using Roleplaying Is Magic, I can't say whether it is or isn't the best system, I'm still reading through it to see. But I can say I think it's worth a shot, I would suggest Ponyfinder as a system since it's the adapted Pathfinder system but I don't have any of the rule books etc for it.

Also no one said that we can't do our current form of story telling as well :)

4. Blaze_Midnight

Things can be done in a story telling way. You just need to take into account that dice rolls will happen for a variety of things such as seeing how your combat turns out.. same for taking on bosses, you need to try and defeat it by seeing if it'll block your attack or take a critical hit or something else.

Which ever system we use we will need to go over it and change stuff and take parts from actual RPG games (Skyrim for example) and work out how the systems are done in them and see if anything will work for a text based roleplay.

5. Aethelberdia

My new RP's trying to do this already, and you lot are all trying to make it standard.
    Just because the mods had a change of heart we're doing something we'd never do about a year ago.

6. Fridge

Times change. Ideas change. And in turn we change our opinions and attempt to do something with those changes. Plus if you read through the Bronybase thread you'll see that they didn't like the novelistic style of rping. What we are doing is attempting to incorporate both.

And your Rp doesn't have things like a levelling system etc.
    What yours is introducing a adventure element which if we want to be honest about it was actually first done by the Battle of Beasts Rp. You're putting a new spin on it by giving a new setting and the idea of doing a quest.

7. Aethelberdia

C's BoB seemed cool. Wish I'd been there to do it :p
    However, wouldn't a levelling system punish new RPers?

8. Fridge

That's why this thread is open to discus such things. Something like the idea of it punishing new rper's is a valid point but can be mitigated. We could make it so the Rp has a cap on how many people are involved, so new ones simply couldn't enter, though that is a little heavy handed. Another way could be to do something akin to 'power levelling' you get on games like borderlands etc, so a new character could team up with a old one and level quickly. Another idea possibly could be to just create a new area, like a starting area (@Blaze_Midnight maybe an idea for part of the casual rping area?) and then have rper's who want to continue 'import' the character into the higher levels.

9. Aethelberdia

Thing is, tabletop RPGs are generally played by one group at regular intervals.
    This one can have anyone join at short notice.
    Perhaps auto-scaling levels?

10. Fridge

Perhaps, all this needs discussion :)

11. Aethelberdia

I'd say this is best relegated to convos really, but there's problems with that.

12. Fridge

Got to keep it here to allow any and all people to comment.

13. Aethelberdia

I mean the RPs themselves should be held in convos, but as i said there's problems thus.

14. Blaze_Midnight

While there could be some issues with new players not being able to match levels of more regular roleplayers, that's where the 'floor' idea comes in. Have each floor set for certain levels, eg floor 1 has enemies up to level 15 for example. Level 15 being the boss level and to defeat it, it takes a group of players to chip away at it's health, kind of like how BUCK Legacy's recent expansion does, where each player takes a swing to hit it and take it's health down. Boss fights will only be done with a group who are available to do a fight.

But the best way to see it is Floor 1 houses the town of new beginnings, players start at level 1 and by defeating creatures outside of the town they can boost their levels up. Once the boss has been defeated once, anyone can go up to the next floor as a 'teleporter' will allow movement between floors for all. Boosting levels would be fine, but you could miss some potentially good loot drops that enemies on floor 1 may have as unique items that would help for potentially a couple of floors

I've had this idea in my mind for quite a while now. I've been putting so much through my head on how to get something a bit more.... Hardcore running for those who want a challenge and want something a bit different.

While yes a year ago we wouldn't have done something like this, it was a case of what could be a good grounds for it that could work. But we never came up with anything, so we kept the rp's to a more... story like layout, which was different and for those that are into story writing, it could have given ideas on how to write something like a story.

I kinda miss the roleplays I used to take part in with some friends. Anything that could happen did, including one character that could eat anything pretty much and even a bad dice roll didn't matter because it got eaten anyway. But in that, xp wasn't gained until the quest had been completed for the session and a letter written to a Princess explaining what you have learnt. I just want to pass on a different take on what I used to enjoy and get many feel good vibes from.

15. Aethelberdia

I want to play D&D, basically.
    That's it really.