1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Spreading the word of pony; yay or neigh?

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by NoeCarrier, 12 May 2013.

1. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

OT: I love it when Insomnia likes one of my posts as I get to see Fluttershy applauding it in the alerts bar :D

Pigasus and TibbsUK like this.
  2. TibbsUK

TibbsUK The pony formerly known as Insomnia

;)

Cloudane and Pigasus like this.
  3. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

I have absolutely no problem wearing an MLP T Shirt in public, I've actually encountered fellow fans by doing that :p

With that said I certainly have no intention on shoving the show down someone's throat who just simply isn't interested in it.

I don't like it when people do it to me for stuff I'm not Interested in so it should work both ways :)

4. Dash

Dash Well played Fluttershy, well played.

Same as everyone else, I wear pony shirts and stuff but unless asked don't make mention of it. It's pretty obvious to anyone who knows me but to me wearing merch and stuff is no more shoving it in peoples faces and recruiting than wearing for example a Sonic tshirt is forcing everyone to go and play sonic. It's just something I like and like to show it off. Besides, I'm annoying enough as it is without shoving ponies down everyone's throat :p

A few friends have asked and I'll happily explain, one has taken a further interest and I'm getting him there, but it's him starting pony related conversations as often as me now :D

5. CeruleanSpark

CeruleanSpark Active Pony

If I think someone is receptive, for instance, if they're a fan of animation in general, or if they've found a fanwork that caught their eye enough to ask me about it, then I'll explain it to them, and suggest that they might have an interest. Given that my first exposure to this fandom took the form of multiple extremely hamfisted and obnoxious attempts at "converting" me, I'm incredibly wary of coming across that way to other people. I'd rather not bother someone with potential and have them find the show on their own than blunder in and drive them off altogether.

6. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

There are a few people that call themselves "Bronies", but to do so would be inaccurate. The particular category of people I speak of are the "obsessors". Not only do they live and breathe pony, but they also seem to be in the mindset that everyone else has to love it just as much as they do, and if they don't, there must be something wrong with that person and they must be "converted". It makes the fandom sound more like a cult or religion and ironically enough, by trying to force people to join the fandom this way causes the complete opposite and creates haters.

I'm more of a "subtly hint" person - wait for curiosity to kick-in and take its natural course. That allows the right people to "discover" it for themselves rather than being coerced by peer pressure.

#26 Alteran, 17 May 2013
    Last edited: 17 May 2013
    Woodrow Smithington likes this.
  7. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

I'll admit, I seem to have the "live and breathe pony" bit down XD I just went out in my mane 6 t-shirt and bought 7 blind bags. And drove home playing pony music. Then came home, opened up the laptop, and went to UKOE. I don't obsess over it completely, but definitely indulge a lot!

Nothing wrong with not being a fan though (and as already mentioned I neither explicitly tell people nor keep it a secret)

TibbsUK, Dash and Pigasus like this.